Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Member's Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  02:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, I admired the military and magical prowess of Shade Enclave especially their Shadow Magic and black glass weapons which all re very unique. Hence, I took up the nmae of Shadovar which meant 'someone who is from Shade Enclave'. Sounds odd or funny, yes I know. *chuckles*

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  13:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rudar Dimble is a gnome conjurer who I once played in a online story hour campaign. Rudar resembles my real name (Ruud) and Dimble just fitted nicely with it. I use the name on different kinds of (RPG) forums, including this one.

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  19:43:06  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks!

I needed sometime ago a username that I could use in as many places as possible, and webmanus came to my mind. When I was a boy, I called myself for 'manus'; in English ... MS (?) or maybe 'manuscript'. And I added web, because I am out here, in the World Wide Web, thus 'webmanus'.

Best regards,
Manuel
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  21:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, generally I use the nick Hammer of Moradin in brazilian foruns. I really like of this prestige class, my "dwarf inside" give some jumps when I see it in the PGtF... but when I finally discover the Candlekeep (a good work diging the net), I try this nick, and discover that one northern cousin already was using it. So, I stay with Chosen of Moradin.

I like too much to roleplay dwarves, they are my favorite character race, Gimli was my favorite LotR character, Bruenor too, in "that not so loved elf" books, my first character was a dwarf fighter, and so on

And just to make an amend, I love that "not so loved elf", I only have the same opinion of some of the fellow scribes: the spotlights are all the time upon him...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  17:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've overlooked this thread thus far, but here goes... Xysma (pronounced Ziss-ma)is my pyromaniac Tiefling Fighter4/Rogue4/Cleric of Kossuth6/Fire Archon3 that I have been playing for the past few years. He is an incredibly fun character to play, and he's worked his way into my subconscious, his name pops up everywhere.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  04:25:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is the English name for Kurama, a half-demon character in Ghostfighter (aka YuYu Hakushu), the very first anime I came to love.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  11:12:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Mine is the English name for Kurama, a half-demon character in Ghostfighter (aka YuYu Hakushu), the very first anime I came to love.

I saw that one... Hated it. I thought it had much potential that was never realized.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  12:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well Alisttair is just a name I came up with for a wizard character once and it stuck (it's the name of my 4E character in one of my campaigns, who is a wizard of course).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  12:54:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I saw that one... Hated it. I thought it had much potential that was never realized.

Did you finish it? Till the Three Lords (Raisen, Yomi, Mokoro) Arc?

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  14:46:23  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine was made up for the character I still play after 20 years...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  15:37:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Wooly. Ghostfighter is among the top 50 anime of all time in Japan (rank 23, if I remember it right). In the Philippines, it is the only anime to have hit the TV ratings of 60%+, and is one of the most replayed series of all time.

It's fraught with interesting characters---heroes and villains alike. I find the villains' "varied" goals interesting and strong enough to drive the story.

The transformations of the 4 main characters (except Alfred, of course), was well executed. Vincent's being less emo towards the end was a refreshing thing to behold...I couldn't remember feeling more excited seeing my favorite character literally transform than I did Dennis in his fight with Karasu.

The love story of Eugene and Jenny was irritating at first, but it got a bit of sense towards the Toguro Arc.

The three movies are also good. Though I'd much like it if they also made one about the Three Lords. There's much about Yomi and Mokoro that needs more exposure...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  18:21:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Wooly. Ghostfighter is among the top 50 anime of all time in Japan (rank 23, if I remember it right). In the Philippines, it is the only anime to have hit the TV ratings of 60%+, and is one of the most replayed series of all time.

It's fraught with interesting characters---heroes and villains alike. I find the villains' "varied" goals interesting and strong enough to drive the story.

The transformations of the 4 main characters (except Alfred, of course), was well executed. Vincent's being less emo towards the end was a refreshing thing to behold...I couldn't remember feeling more excited seeing my favorite character literally transform than I did Dennis in his fight with Karasu.

The love story of Eugene and Jenny was irritating at first, but it got a bit of sense towards the Toguro Arc.

The three movies are also good. Though I'd much like it if they also made one about the Three Lords. There's much about Yomi and Mokoro that needs more exposure...

It was one of the movies I saw, and it was enough to keep me from wanting to see anything else.

Not too many people here have names from anime/manga... (See how I did that? )

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  20:15:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The movies hardly justified the series. One cannot appreciate Ghostfighter itself if he/she only watched the movies. The movies are some sort of supplementary to the series, and not the other way around.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  21:10:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The movies hardly justified the series. One cannot appreciate Ghostfighter itself if he/she only watched the movies. The movies are some sort of supplementary to the series, and not the other way around.

Check your PMs.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  02:21:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, Dennis is not only the name of my favorite anime character, but of my ex as well---ironically, he's my least favorite of my exes.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  06:22:36  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually used KotG simply b/c it is my username on the *A Song of Ice and Fire* forums I spent the most time on when I created my CK account; I didn't want to have to remember 2 different log-ins!
If you've read the aSoIaF series, you'll be familiar with Ser Brynden Tulley (a.k.a. 'The Blackfish'). He remains the character I most respect in the series, and his title when he served his brother-in-law in the Vale was; 'The Knight of the Bloody Gate', often referred to simply as the Knight of the Gate.
Also, I didn't want to be the 1001st guy to try to register as 'Blackstaff'!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 04 Jan 2011 06:24:18
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  09:39:14  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, from asoiaf I'd pick Giantsbane or Jaqen.

Quale was my npc from Chondath at the time I registered. The npc was a Sensate, based on this philosophy.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  10:43:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A buddy of mine actually inspired me to use this name, my RL last name is Diffendal. So when he and I were at a store (Rite-Aid i believe) I was swinging around this wiffle-ball bat like a sword (I was 12, so gimme a break ) and he said I was like "Conan" but instead said "Diffan, the Barbarian" and it sorta stuck.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  16:23:25  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name originated from reading Schott's Miscellany around the time a new user name became necessary.

Schott's books of miscellaneous information seemed to fit the idea of talking and reading about bits and pieces of Realmslore online and the "Mr" had a nice ring of alliteration when matched with "miscellany".
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  22:20:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor Nal'Raesik Darden...old name in use now for nearly thirty years.

Dalor is actually a made up (by me) male version of Dalores (from the Spanish Dolores)...which is a female name meaning "Sorrows" because of a near death by Dalor's mother at his birth...his father named him Dalor.

Darden is an English surname that is originally derived from Celtic/French roots...meaning (in French) "From Ardennes"; but having older Celtic roots from the word Ardu; which means "High Land" or "High Forest"...and so I thought it would be a fitting "Noble" Surname for a Wizard from a noble family.

Thus came to be Dalor Darden the ILLUSIONIST. Only later did he become a Wizard who focused on war magics when he went to war for the Empire of Alphatia into which he was born.

His middle "name" simply means Son of Raesik...and was entirely invented by me at the time of character creation because I wanted his initials to be:

D.N.D.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  02:09:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Dalor is actually a made up (by me) male version of Dalores (from the Spanish Dolores)...which is a female name meaning "Sorrows" because of a near death by Dalor's mother at his birth...his father named him Dalor.

Interesting.

Dolores, BTW, is a common name here in the Philippines. Given our history, not a surprise at all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000