Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Lich Queen queries
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  19:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone here run the Dungeon / Dragon adventures of githyannki world conquest and set them on Toril? How did it work out?

Also, is Eberron's Lich Queen the same as Her Nibs of the Astral or is she someone else entirely?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 01 Jul 2008 07:40:37

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  22:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Also, is Eberron's Lich Queen the same as Her Nibs of the Astral or is she someone else entirely?

If you are talking about Lady Vol--yes, she's different from the Githyanki Lich Queen. Lady Vol is, IIRC, half-elf, half-green dragon (mind you, I am only passingly familiar with Eberron).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Jun 2008 22:56:44
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
If you are talking about Lady Vol--yes, she's different from the Githyanki Lich Queen. Lady Vol is, IIRC, half-elf, half-green dragon (mind you, I am only passingly familiar with Eberron).

Eberron? Eberron? Is that thing with the lycanthrope wannabes and golem thingamabobs?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  01:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh ... so she's Lady Vol, eh? Live (or undie) and learn....

Thank you, Lady Rinonalyrna. Now, has anyone tried to destroy Toril with a gith invasion?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  01:28:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Darkmeer has . . . I'll hail him and see if he has any thoughts to add.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  01:48:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lady Vol is, IIRC, half-elf, half-green dragon (mind you, I am only passingly familiar with Eberron).
Actually, I think it's just [elf half-dragon], though it's been a while since I've checked.

In my EBERRON, the Lady Vol is an psychically-derived aspect of the immortal Lich Queen of the Githyanki in Khorvaire.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  01:54:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has anyone here run the Dungeon / Dragon adventures of gith world conquest and set them on Toril? How did it work out?
I've never actually used the "Incursion" story-arc in the Realms. But as I recall, the DRAGON articles for the adventure path do have a section on using "Incursion" in Faerûn.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  06:47:48  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My campaign never quite made it that far, though I’d set things up to go that route ahead of time.

Aside from running the actual Incursion story arc, I did use the game stats and githyanki information from the Dragon/Dungeon cross-over to great effect with other adventures in my game. Especially the stuff on Dragons and Astral Dreadnaughts.

It was game stats like that which offset what my players could do with Shapechange and other high level powers.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  18:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you, Lady Rinonalyrna.

You're welcome.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  18:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Lady Vol is, IIRC, half-elf, half-green dragon (mind you, I am only passingly familiar with Eberron).
Actually, I think it's just [elf half-dragon], though it's been a while since I've checked.

That is more or less what I was intending to say.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  07:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragon 309 pages are 77 - 79. James Wyatt wrote the article, and suggests getting the Chosen out of the way (by kidnapping if not assassination). What is intriguing is that the githyanki may be viewed as allies and/or liberators at first, because they may assassinate Obould Many-Arrows, Fzoul Chembryll, Manshoon, etc. -- although they'll also go after the Chosen and the Obarskyrs and ....

As a less horrendous entry, the githyanki may be trying to retrieve their long-lost god's body from Chult or from the Underdark -- from under Menzoberranzan! (As if anyone will stop them from destroying that!)

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  06:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She is a half-dragon (green type) elf with the Mark of Death.

.... Just because one's a Faerun fan doesn't mean one can't know anything of Eberron.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  06:24:04  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late reply here, I've been diligently finding all of my old campaign notes, and adjusting for certain instances. In all reality, the events surrounding Tilverton's destruction make for the easiest way of attacking Faerun proper. My old campaign set with this had the Githyanki working WITH shade to take down Cormyr. This was especially true when you figured in the Necrotic energies used by the githyanki fusing with the strong shadow magics of the Shades.

The lead up to it was mostly in the areas of the Storm Horns and Suzail proper. The PC's were envoys of one of the local barons, and were helping to get things back in order after the attack of the Grodd Goblins (see Into the Dragon's Lair adventure, which ran prior to this adventure about partway through before mother nature took that adventure away from me... blasted water...).

Now, the Githyanki had been finding the best way to slow down the defenders, and to create a distraction, so they allied with the shades. As the Shades wanted the country, and the Githyanki wanted a specific artifact, they were both poised to take down Cormyr in search for it. During the events surrounding the destruction of Tilverton, the Githyanki attacked en masse, and took Suzail. The poor capital hadn't been repaired fully from the last dragon that attacked, and 12 Adult red dragons and an army of Githyanki with their sky ships attacked the capital essentially unawares. Certain areas were already cleared, as some of the Fire Knives had been promised a place in the new order of Cormyr by the Githyanki.

It was at this point the players chose the role of Guerrilla fighters in the city and the forests surrounding Suzail. That lasted about 2 more sessions and the campaign ended without resolution (they were about 2 adventures away from the "Lich Queen's Beloved" adventure in Dungeon.)

The notes I had for further adventuring interests:
The Shades were betrayed by the Githyanki. They want revenge, even if it means that Cormyr is restored (they figured they'd be able to take it down).
The Chosen were dealing with other things at this point in time (the Shades were running interference, as well as some other Zhentarim and Twisted rune fun as background for MY information only).
Some of the best allies were in the Dalelands if the PC's wanted their help (the NON-spider-kissing Drow in Cormanthor, as well as a single Mind Flayer hidden somewhere under Suzail).

There were some ideas, and I wasn't nearly as good with realmslore at that time as I am now.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  06:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some other thoughts, mostly related:

I did note that it would have been easier in Sembia to cause internal strife by rumormongoring, if you wanted to keep to the same area.
If you wanted to do something more Wilderness-oriented, I'd recommend Chult, Tharsult, or anywhere along that peninsula (avoiding Halruaa, unless you want some seriously cool flying ship swashbuckling).
The Shaar and Dambrath also make great targets, and Dambrath could be an interesting intrigue...
Keep it out of the North/Silverymoon, as that would get the Chosen involved quick. Calimsham might even be a good choice. Just think of where the Chosen AREN'T, and then go with what strikes you as a cool idea.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  06:40:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, has anyone tried to destroy Toril with a gith invasion?
I think WotC has...

But they decided to use Designers instead.

Sorry mods... I just couldn't resist that one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  08:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which Dragon/Dungeon issues featured this adventure path please?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  08:57:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Twas DUNGEON #100 and DRAGON #309.

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  10:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, Sage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000