Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 4e's Game System License
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  23:29:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And if they say we cannot contain content that is both 4e and pre-4e?

Because... ya know... thats whats gonna happen. That's what the GSL said, and I realy doubt they plan to back down now.
Well, I don't really think that's much of a concern at the moment. I've yet to see any significant Candlekeep submissions that focus primarily on the post-Spellplague Realms. Maybe once the fan-site policy is released, that may change. But until it does, we can really only speculate at this point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  00:33:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a mod for over a year. It stressed the hell out of me over things that many posters never saw because it was behind the scenes things. Trust me, it isn't an easy job. :) And I was always the evil bad guy mod who annoyed people, a lot of people. :) I still do but least now, I can't get accused of being a bad mod. Now, all I can get accused of is being a pain in the arse poster. Grin.

And no, I will not discuss those behind the scene things.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Kuje would make great Mods.

BRIMSTONE

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  04:57:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I missed this from Scott the other day.

"And regarding the fan-site policy: "I know it's fun to throw out conspiracy theories about lawyers and corporate fat cats holding up the fansite policy but there is a simple not so fun explanation. It's been off my desk for a few months and now sits on the desk of someone in our web studio who will shepherd it through to completion... but it's not his biggest priority, he's got other stuff he is working on and although this is important, it's not pressing... not one website has been sued because of a lack of policy. The policy will certainly help answer questions and clear up guidelines but we have gotten by without one for over 8 years and even when we do get one it isn't going to suddenly make all the pirates and other problems we deal with on the internet go away. If you are really doing something wrong (like posting PDFs of copyrighted material) in the the current no-policy environment you'll probably hear from us... and if you really have a burning question about whether you can or can't do something on your webs site you can refer to our current terms of service or ask us via email, PM, phone or through the Customer Service Knowledge Base"

One of links that are in that reply that didn't get linked are:

http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/Default.aspx?doc=SiteLegalNotice

The email and Cust Service links I didn't post because the email one you need to sign in for and the other is extremely long!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  12:20:27  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems now that both GSLs are at the bottom of the in-trays of two over-worked people. I don't think we will get either of them this year. We may never get them.

I know that WotC keep saying the licences are 'important', but if either were costing WotC money they would have been here by now.
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  20:05:40  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope it wasn't one of the web people who were fired. That would be embarrassing!

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  15:10:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The woman who WAS in charge of it - I forget her name - was one of those let-go in the last round of lay-offs, IIRC.

So it passed onto others, who were aleady doing the jobs of several people...

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I was a mod... <snip>
So was I, at Gamewinners, and I did my year and went running as far from there as I could.

Its no fun being 'the cop'.

Its much more fun being 'the bad guy'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Feb 2009 15:10:54
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  07:18:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The fansite policy is being worked on. I was in a planning meeting today and it was being discussed and appropriately prioritized. I have read the draft and my personal opinion is that it looks very good. These will be guidelines and not a treatise on IP law. The fan site policy will not be a replacement for legal advice or common sense.

The web site in question had approximately 1825 full text power card entries. Of those 1 was a homebrew power. It also used Player's Handbook trade dress and the Dungeons & Dragons logo. The GSL does not allow for this type of use. FWIW, I saw this site for the first time on January 5th.

As I said in the Ema's post this is not a war on fansites. We appreciate fansites that respect our IP and support our business, ENWorld is a fine example of this type of websites. WotC has a great relationship with Russ and we sincerely value this community's support and patronage.

Scott Rouse

SR. Brand Manager - Dungeons & Dragons
Wizards of the Coast"

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  05:45:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The revised GSL is up
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1156879

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  12:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this allow for the Candlekeep Compendium? (the site is blocked here I can't check it

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  13:22:37  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

It seems now that both GSLs are at the bottom of the in-trays of two over-worked people. I don't think we will get either of them this year. We may never get them.

I know that WotC keep saying the licences are 'important', but if either were costing WotC money they would have been here by now.

I was wrong. Kudos to Scott for his hard work on the GSL.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  13:23:46  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Does this allow for the Candlekeep Compendium? (the site is blocked here I can't check it

The new GSL specifically excludes web-sites.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  14:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we can't do a CC or we can't do a CC with 4E content? (or is it all vague on the matter?)

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  14:48:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So we can't do a CC or we can't do a CC with 4E content? (or is it all vague on the matter?)

I think it just can't be done with any 4e stuff.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  15:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as we don't have the fansite policy, we cannot say anything about the matter of the CC or 4e content on websites.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  15:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what... screw 'em, as long as we don't touch anything 4e we should be ok. The compendiums weren't an issue before that, and since the CC doesn't cost any money, and surely does not claim to replace their Realms at all, I say to hell with it. The S(m)ellplague isn't really wanted by most of us, and what we do contribute is fleshing out what is, in Wotzee's POV, ancient history of the Realms. If they were that worried about it, they could have closed CK down for good as there have been more than a couple names of countries and whatnot used within the CC, such a project, as it deals with wotzee's IP, hasn't sic'ed the lawyers on Alaundo (correct me if I'm wrong) yet.

We cannot use 4e terms in any of this, and as such, since Abeer and whathaveyou are defined by 4e it can, most likely, not be used. Whatever we as fans produce cannot compete with wotzee, since the CC is free... if a free product turns out to be better than a wotzee product...well, we do know Brian James's story...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  16:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, perhaps Kuje should get in touch with his contact to make sure we are good to go first...pending Alaundo's approval as well of course

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  17:32:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno. I haven't looked over the new GSL but I still think maybe we should wait till the fan policy. Yea, I know, people are sick of my saying that! :)

Edit: I really don't have a contact. I get most of my info from ENworld.

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Mar 2009 18:04:39
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  18:15:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sick of it - I whole-heartedly agree at this point (considering certain recent developments).

Where rules are concerned, its fairly easy to avoid any problems (just don't use 4e material on your fansite!!!), but lore is a 'grey area', especially where FR is concerned.

A lot of history has been retconned by the 4e changes - does that mean we cannot discuss the lore while applying said changes? We have to discuss 3e lore ONLY in the context it was originally presented in?

You see... without a fansite policy, which should explain to us how much we can 'dip' into 4e fluff, we have no idea what is and is not allowed (unlike the rules, which are very cut-and-dry).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  19:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oopsies, I mistook the GSL for having the fan policy with it. My bad!

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  21:17:45  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the difference between the CKC before and the possible repercussions if it were to be continued now is in the timing. Before, CK put out the compendium when FR was a stable setting and it explored lore that there didn't seem to be much official push for. Now, 4e is still new, the community is still in chaos, and, especially on a site where most members proudly proclaim that they don't want anything to do with 4e, CK may be seen as counterproductive to the goals of WotC, or even a flat out enemy. Many of us have expressed negativity towards 4e, but 4e is WotC's source of income right now. If we advise people against buying it and then fill in lore, makeing it easier for people to avoid buying 4e products, CK may become a target.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  23:01:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dunno. I haven't looked over the new GSL but I still think maybe we should wait till the fan policy. Yea, I know, people are sick of my saying that! :)

Edit: I really don't have a contact. I get most of my info from ENworld.

I'm inclined to agree with Kuje. Until we actually have a definitive fan-site policy to work with, most everything to do with this topic is still speculation, for the most part.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  01:21:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Prudence would be a wise choice in the matter.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  12:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any news on how the discussions are going regarding said fan site policy?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  17:45:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not that I've seen except for what I've posted recently. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  17:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not that I've seen except for what I've posted recently. :)

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  00:23:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Pramas is noy signing the GSL.
http://freeport-pirate.livejournal.com/117711.html

quote:
Once More into the Breach
I didn't want to write this post.

The revised version of the Game System License, which allows third party companies to publish support material for the new edition of Dungeons & Dragons, came out this week. I dutifully looked it, noted a couple of improvements, but quickly realized it wasn't enough to get me to change my mind about using the license. An e-mail discussion with my Green Ronin cohorts confirmed that they felt the same way. I didn't really feel like talking about it public though, so I was going to let it lie, but then queries started rolling in. Lots of folks wanted to know what GR's plans were regarding 4E with the license change. I realized then I was going to have to say something, so here we are.

The reason I was reluctant to get back into this discussion goes back a couple of months. I was trying to remember something I did last year and went back to look over the entries in my blog for 2008. Paging through my entries I realized how much time I spent thinking, writing, and analyzing D&D4E, the OGL, and the GSL. And the upshot of all that was that we did one product, the Green Ronin Character Record Folio. It's an awesome accessory but ultimately the time I spent on all this was not well spent.

Now you will see people on message boards say that GR never seriously considered supporting 4E because I hate WotC, blah, blah, blah. While our ultimate decision is to go our own way, that was in no way predetermined. We had discussions about what 4E could mean to our various lines as far back as 2005. After it was announced, we brainstormed a bunch of ideas. I started doing some research and taking notes for a potential new campaign setting. We look at what sort of adventure support we might provide. We considered a 4E Freeport Companion to join the four we had already done. I even commissioned a conversion of an unpublished 3.5 adventure so we'd have something to release if the license looked good.

Had the rollout and the terms of the license been better, perhaps things would have ended up differently. The fact that it took 10 months from the announcement of 4E to the actual release of the GSL was in itself a problem for a company of Green Ronin's size (never mind the fact that the announced plans changed several times throughout that period). GR sells into the book trade, and that means that ideally we want to solicit new books 9 months in advance of release. Well, I certainly wasn't going to solicit books for a game I hadn't even seen using a license who terms I didn't know. Nor was I going to start designing blind in the hopes that it'd all work out.

It became clear during this period that there was a faction with WotC that wanted to close the door to third party publishing all together. There were also advocates, most notably Scott and Linae, but it seemed they were in a constant battle to make anything happen at all. The resultant license, the GSL, looked like an attempted compromise between the factions within WotC that probably pleased no one. It certainly pleased few of the established third party publishers. So within two months of the release of the original GSL, a revision was announce to address some of these concerns. It took over six months for that to happen, and while the revision has some improvements the core of it is very similar indeed to the original.

Now while this was all going on, Green Ronin was by no means standing still. We had existing lines like M&M and True20 to support, a new game line in A Song of Ice and Fire to launch, and new deals to negotiate. The company had begun diversifying away from d20 material many years earlier so it was really just a case of continuing that momentum. While d20 was good to us and we published some great books in that era, we ultimately got to a place where we controlled all of our own lines and were beholden to no one.

So when the GSL revision came out, I had to ask myself if I wanted GR to get pulled into WotC's orbit, even a little bit. The answer had to be no. I don't ever want to have to wonder again what a new edition of D&D means to my business. I don't want to worry about whether 5E or 6E is going to be open to third party publishers. I don't want to live with the spectre of the wrong person becoming an exec at WotC and wrecking my business with the stroke of a pen. It's just not worth it, particularly for the level of sales we'd be likely to see doing 4E support. (The best anyone has been able to say about sales of third party 4E stuff is that it's better than late era 3.5 sales, which is like saying that Friday the 13th Part 13 sold more tickets than Friday the 13th Part 12.)

And even leaving aside all the business talk and analysis for a moment, it might still be tempting to publish something for a game that we were excited about. I spent the second half of last year both running and playing 4E. I would play it again, but I have no burning desire to design for it. Nor do my GR cohorts. It has been my experience in the game industry that you don't do great work on a game that you aren't passionate about. You may recall during the d20 boom, a bunch of established companies jumped into the pool once they realized there was money to be made. They didn't really know or care about the rules and that was clear in the resultant products. Fans quickly sussed this out too. Well, I don't want to be one of those guys who is designing through gritted teeth because that's what he thinks "the kids" like these days.

I know there are some GR fans who were hoping we'd end up doing some 4E support. I'm sorry to disappoint you but I know that I'm making the right decision here. We can be much more successful working on games that excite us and that we control. Creatively and financially, it just makes more sense for us to chart our own course.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 11 Mar 2009 00:24:41
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  11:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  12:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One hopes we will now get to see some Pathfinder Freeport goodness from Green Ronin.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  15:01:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Freeport is edition neutral now. The Pirates Guide to Freeport is all fluff. No edition specific mechanics what so ever. Now if they do produce any new adventures they will probably be True20 Rules. Now A Pathfinder the roleplaying game adventure for Freeport would rock.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  16:20:40  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it is. But they've released PDF's statting up all the characters in Freeport for various systems, True20, 3.5 etc. Hopefully we can see something like that for Pathfinder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000