Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Brian R James Sarifal article on DDI
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  09:47:47  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drrl/2009June
One needs a DDI subscription to see it.
Lurue and Nobanion are back. The article lists them as an archfey and a primal spirit, respectively.

quote:
Nestled among the fog-shrouded isles of the Moonshaes rests the kingdom of Sarifal. Home to fey of all shapes, sizes, and varieties, Sarifal is an enchanted realm steeped in dreams and myth. An eldritch wonderland alive with verdant forests and majestic highlands, some whisper that Sarifal isn't of this world at all, but is in fact a swath of the Feywild transplanted to Toril for nefarious design.

Outsiders see Sarifal as a sylvan paradise governed by a strong yet enigmatic leader -- an image the ruling matriarch works hard to cultivate. Those born to the region, however, know that life within Sarifal is a delicate chess match between several powers, capricious archfey, depraved fomorians, spirit lords, and more. So far the High Lady and the few remaining of her kind have been able to maintain the delicate balance of power. But for how long?

I hope this is the right place for this.

Shar!

Edited by - Nightseer on 08 Jun 2009 10:43:02

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  14:13:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to read that article... But I'm not giving WotC a dime for digital content until I can pick what it is I'm paying for.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  14:17:47  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Map is great. Not like that "thing" in the FRCG. I am really impressed by this article. Great work Brian.

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  14:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem,
as I asked earlier and in another thread in CK, except from Dragon and Dungeon issues. What could a FR fan find by suscribing to D&D Insider ? I'm just interested in Realmslore and not in D&D core products.

Thanks a lot.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  14:50:47  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Earthmother (Primal Spirit, Unaligned).

Primal Spirits: Ouroboros the World Serpent, Magnor the Bear, Remnis the Eagle, Quorlinn the Raven, Amarok the Wolf, and Nobanion the Lion.

Archfey: Relkath of the Infinite Branches, Lurue the Unicorn Queen, Verenestra the Oak Princess, Sarula Iliene the Nixie Queen, and Aurilandur the Frost Sprite Queen.

Karador the Last Bastion of the LeShay(Island City in the middle of a lake) The last Scions of the once great progenitor race of Fey live there. Pop. 2700 all manner of Fey and Fey-Touched. Ilewyrr Elves, Wood Elves, Gnomes, and Banshrae. A small number of humans live there for far away IMASKAR.

This gives me hope about the 4E Realms. Now we need some 4E Ed Lore.

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  14:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is phenomenal! Great work, Brian!

(And even setting aside all the lore, the map is awesome--another one along the lines of the Cormyr map from last year.)

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  15:02:41  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldath is back!

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  17:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks. It was really fun writing this article and the map turned out fantastic!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Glaurach
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  04:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Glaurach's Homepage Send Glaurach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. James,

That is a great article. Except for the background benefit, I am happy that no crunch in it. Hope it could be 7 pages more.

I have two little questions.

"Abeir's waxing always...", should that be Selune instead of Abeir?

Deep Sashelas was listed as an exarch in FRCG. Does that contradict with this article, which listed Deep Sashelas as an archfey? Or Deep Sashelas has two statuses at the same time?

Thank you for your work.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  05:14:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outstanding Brian. the map is also wonderful. good job!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  06:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glaurach

"Abeir's waxing always...", should that be Selune instead of Abeir?

Deep Sashelas was listed as an exarch in FRCG. Does that contradict with this article, which listed Deep Sashelas as an archfey? Or Deep Sashelas has two statuses at the same time?
Abeir has been waxing and waning with Toril since the worlds were twinned millennia back. As a powerful primal spirit, the Earthmother is able to "feel" when Abeir draws nearer.

Think of "deity" as a template that can be applied to other subtypes. Auril, for instance, is both an archfey and a deity. Asmodeus is both a devil and deity. Lolth is both a demon and deity. Ubtao is both a primordial and deity.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  11:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't got round to reading the article yet (I'm sure it's great, I trust Brian), but I just had to say that map is amazing. When I scrolled down to that page my jaw dropped open. Not much that wizards puts out can make me do that!

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Glaurach
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  13:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Glaurach's Homepage Send Glaurach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James
Abeir has been waxing and waning with Toril since the worlds were twinned millennia back. As a powerful primal spirit, the Earthmother is able to "feel" when Abeir draws nearer.

Think of "deity" as a template that can be applied to other subtypes. Auril, for instance, is both an archfey and a deity. Asmodeus is both a devil and deity. Lolth is both a demon and deity. Ubtao is both a primordial and deity.

Thank you for the answers.

Based on them, now I may add something interesting to my campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  10:57:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BRJ saved the 4e folk from a lot of confusion with his articles

the articles about the sharns, this one and the one about Auril's realm are by far my favourite in the electronic Dragon

so what happened to the Frost Sprite King?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000