Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dungeon #155 (Keep on the Shadowfell in FR)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2008 :  03:34:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The online Dungeon magazine this month has a conversion guide for using Keep on the Shadowfell in Faerun:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/dungeon/155_Shadowfell_FR.pdf

While it continues the "Shar is the baddest deity of them all" trend, I have to say that the adventure (which I played in its "default" form last Saturday) fells a lot more logical and has better variety with the FR background included.

I just wish they had gone one step further and converted Winterhaven to an existing small town in Faerun.

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2008 :  14:38:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the case of small towns I'm quite prepared to say: "But it is a small town in the Realms, it just hasn't shown up on any of the maps before."

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2008 :  15:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reading the PDF right now, and there lurks some lore referring to the events accompanying the spellplague such as this: "However, when Shar folded the Plane of Shadow into the Shadowfell following the Spellplague, ...". So we can assume the new cosmology is in part the result of the damage caused by the spellplague and in part the result of the machinations of the gods.

Some more lore later:

"Following the Spellplague, Shar found it
within her power to reshape the Plane of Shadow, which she transformed into the Shadowfell. The
Shadowfell is a dark reflection of Toril, where undead and shadowy humanoids stalk the land."

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 07 Jun 2008 18:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  21:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The online Dungeon magazine this month has a conversion guide for using Keep on the Shadowfell in Faerun:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/dungeon/155_Shadowfell_FR.pdf

While it continues the "Shar is the baddest deity of them all" trend...

Indeed, although as I mentioned on the WotC boards, in this case it at least makes sense that Shar would be involved.

I'd love to play this module in the regular "core" setting. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  18:05:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was working on my own conversion, but it appears WotC has beaten me to the punch.

However, I was really only doing the map - following Rich Baker's suggestion - so all of the notes from this supplement will still be extremely helpful.

The map I'm doing, BTW, is based in The Talons and the Delimbyr Vale (as Rich suggested), because it is very close to the starting region in the FRCG. Besides, the region suggested in the conversion is a bit too 'busy' for my tastes.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jun 2008 18:05:42
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  18:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Sorry if I've been rambling on too long. Just reading this was yet another disappointment.

Don't be sorry, I think you made plenty of good points.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Morentis
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  00:34:51  Show Profile Send Morentis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's because those nutjobs just KNEW that I've had my paladin and wizard's castle in the midst of Thunder Gap for almost two decades now, and I've been remarking ever since, "Wow, I'm surprised there has never been a 'canon' emplacement/community/fortress/public hot springs right there in the mountains." Some sort of karmic thing, I suppose.

The conversion guide has actually made running Shadowfell far more rewarding and interesting, since I can tie it to my existing version of the Realms -- in the pre-Spellplague timeline.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  04:17:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree that the article is not of the same standards that the old Paizo campaign adaptions were - they were tied into existing Realmslore (and Eberron lore) and geography neatly, and not so "just use this as this, and that as that" type of thing. It looks like a quick patch-job by someone who is not that familiar with the Realms, and there was no effort to tie the thing in to FR's history in any way... which is exactly how they want their 4e lore.

It exists in a vacuum.

And like a vacuum, it s......... you get the idea.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2008 17:09:50
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  13:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

I am reading the PDF right now, and there lurks some lore referring to the events accompanying the spellplague such as this: "However, when Shar folded the Plane of Shadow into the Shadowfell following the Spellplague, ...". So we can assume the new cosmology is in part the result of the damage caused by the spellplague and in part the result of the machinations of the gods.

Some more lore later:

"Following the Spellplague, Shar found it
within her power to reshape the Plane of Shadow, which she transformed into the Shadowfell. The
Shadowfell is a dark reflection of Toril, where undead and shadowy humanoids stalk the land."

I just wonder... is Shar the direct equivalent to Morrig... er, the Raven Queen now? It seems that she may have become the deity of undeath, too.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  14:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, I was working on my own conversion, but it appears WotC has beaten me to the punch.

However, I was really only doing the map - following Rich Baker's suggestion - so all of the notes from this supplement will still be extremely helpful.

The map I'm doing, BTW, is based in The Talons and the Delimbyr Vale (as Rich suggested), because it is very close to the starting region in the FRCG. Besides, the region suggested in the conversion is a bit too 'busy' for my tastes.

You know, I dropped a slightly modified version of Fallcrest (as the Cormyrean border town of Thunderstone) into the Realms as the base of my Pathfinder Alpha 3 playtest campaign. Of course, I had to modify the places and NPCs, but I think it'll work nicely.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  14:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I must have missed that post, MT - Rich Baker felt that Keep on the Shadowfell should be placed in the Delimbyr Vale? How long ago was that?

I'm wondering if there's any communication going on between the various designers working on the Realms.

Well, I would take Rich's suggestion as just that--a suggestion. There are any number of places in the Realms that would probably fit the module.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  16:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
capnvan, just a quote of FRCS, 3rd Edition, pag 297:

quote:

Campaigns
Rule 1: It's your world

...Make additions as you see fit. For example, if you need a village, a small town, or a dungeon in some locale to make an adventure work out right, go right ahead and add it.
Likewise, the details in this book reflectwhat the people of Faerûn know about their world - but only you knows the truth.
don´t be afraid to alter anything you want to.

With this in mind, I don´t see any problem to add any village in any place of my campaign setting. There are only two rules to DM a campaign in Faerûn, all easy to find.
I understand your point, but I, personally, don´t see any problem with the adaptation, or the adventure.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  17:19:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I must have missed that post, MT - Rich Baker felt that Keep on the Shadowfell should be placed in the Delimbyr Vale? How long ago was that?

I'm wondering if there's any communication going on between the various designers working on the Realms.

As Rinon said, he was just making suggestions, but pointed to the Talons as the best place to start because of its close proximity to the start area in the FRCG. After doing a little bit of research, I realized the area was PERFECT, and I am slightly modifying my North map to reflect its location (This is a newer version of my Silver Marches map). Hopefully I can have that up for everyone later - I'll be using it myself this weekend.

As for Rich's post; you can view it HERE.

As I've said, the locale is perfect, and I have a teensy-tiny bit of lore to go with it to make it work (the lore is compatible with both 3e AND 4e settings, believe it or not - thats how I'm hoping to present most of my stuff from now on).

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jun 2008 17:27:49
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  14:11:21  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those with RPGA numbers, you can download Escape from Sembia then tie it into this adventure. Or stick with Rich’s suggestions on where he would put the town. (Delimbyr Vale being the best one from the bunch listed) Also a conversion isn’t the same as canon, so any Realmslore like on page 5 or 10 is purely optional.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  17:37:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That that doesn't seem to be the case doesn't bode well for the coherence of the FRCS and any future developments in FR.

Good point.

Rich has stated, time and time again, that he is NOT 'in the loop' for most of the FR changes, and that he has contributed very little to it (no design credits). He has also stated on numerous occasions that he has nothing to do with the novels (aside from writing his own), and lastly, he has nothing to do with the website, it's release schedule or what is or isn't being worked on in that regard.

And this is the man who has allowed himself to become the 'face' of 4e FR. I have no idea why he puts himself in the line of fire the way he does, when he obviously has very little to do with the types of questions he tries to answer.

The guys who are really responsible for this abomination are keeping a very low-profile. I wonder if Chris Perkins will even be at Gencon, all things considered.

Edit: After realizing what this thread was after posting the above, I just wanted to clarify that any annoyance I have with 4th edition is all aimed squarely at 4e FR, and not the rules. I have some problems with those, but what edition didn't have problems? Only time will tell if they have any 'staying power' in the hobby. I try to seperate my dislike of 4e FR from the ruleset, which appear to be very easy to learn and simple to teach, and I'm looking forward to running a game with them this weekend with my two younger children.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jun 2008 20:06:01
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  18:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Markus said, Rich is more involved with the R&D aspects of the game (and the "core" products) than the Realms. I wouldn't say that he's "coordinating" the Realms products/articles based on what I've read.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Jun 2008 18:13:24
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I try to seperate my dislike of 4e FR from the ruleset, which appear to be ver easy to learn and simple to teach, and I'm looking forward to running a game with them this weekend with my two younger children.

Agreed! I'm poring over the rules right now, and for the first time ever, I think I might be able to create a great character without outside help, thanks to the ease-of-use of the rulebooks.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  21:06:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted my map for use with the adventure on my DeviantART Site, for anyone intersted. Please read the notes below the map for any changes I made to the official FR maps.

Remember, I placed this on the 3e map, so I have no idea if any of those other locales even exist anymore.

I will be posting a full-size version (11 x 8½) for printing when the rest of the NEW Silver Marches Map is complete.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jun 2008 21:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  18:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do agree with Markus in wondering why Rich Baker has assumed the role of "spokeperson" (as it were) for the Realms, particularly when it's clear that he's not getting the most up-to-date information.

I don't know, either, but I suspect it may have to do with the fact that he's had a Q&A thread on the FR board for a long time.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  01:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I don't know, either, but I suspect it may have to do with the fact that he's had a Q&A thread on the FR board for a long time.
A very long time.

That's because Rich Baker has been involved with the Realms well before 4E ever came out. Same goes for 3E and the 3E Realms.

Note he was the Key WotC speaker at the 2007 Forgotten Realms seminar and remains one of the few WotC FR Designers with the bonafides (and lack of regular online vilification by internet nutbags) to speak about the Realms for WotC in public.

He's been immensely patient with the online Realms community (despite the fact that said community gave him innumerable chances to rip people to shreds for their immaturity and stupidity, and for treating him like crap).

I think he’s being a little humble with regard to how “in the loop” he really is, because he’s not the top FR dog and so has to be careful with how he’s perceived online.

I know for a fact that the Realms-L list automatically assumed he was in charge of the 4E FR and went into attack mode on him right away.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 19 Jun 2008 01:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Ahwe Yahzhe
Acolyte

Iraq
36 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  09:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Ahwe Yahzhe's Homepage Send Ahwe Yahzhe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran my first session of H1 with the FR conversion last Thursday, here at the Palace in Baghdad. The conversion really isn't obvious at first, except I had to kinda wing it with the "Points of Light" Forgotten Realms of the Future, to explain the general environment of Highmoon, Thunder Peaks, Sembia and Cormyr. I also had to change the Cleric of Pelor to a Cleric of Lathander, so I hope they didn't kill Lathander off, too.

The current environment for Winterhaven is a little bit tricky without the 4E FRCS, but I'm going with the "Abandoned Outpost of Cormyr" angle for now. We'll see how it goes this week, since they just arrived in Winterhaven. They're likely to uncover the cult or confront Ninaran at her home...
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  11:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's a stupid question but I feel most of your posts set this adv in the post-spellplague era.
I just can be sure I've understood the whole posts.

Could it be possible to place the adv within the timeline ? Does someone have an idea about the year it could happen ?

And my second question would be : what about canon lore in this adventure conversion ? Is there official data we could remembber as canon ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  12:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ahwe Yahzhe

I also had to change the Cleric of Pelor to a Cleric of Lathander, so I hope they didn't kill Lathander off, too.

Sorry, but from all that we know, Lathander isn't any more. He has not been killed, but he transformed into Amaunator (once more?), having reached the high noon aspect of his being.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  16:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... Amaunator, who you may recall from the Netherese days. This was apparently tipped back in Faiths & Pantheons (although, as I recall, that was a heretical sect, but hey, who am I but a consumer?).

You are right, that was a heretical sect, but the details are not found in Faith and Pantheons, but in Power of Faerun.

Varl

Go to Top of Page

Ahwe Yahzhe
Acolyte

Iraq
36 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  18:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Ahwe Yahzhe's Homepage Send Ahwe Yahzhe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I also had to change the Cleric of Pelor to a Cleric of Lathander, so I hope they didn't kill Lathander off, too.

Hmm. Bad news. Not exactly "killed," (well, I guess it's not clear yet) but apparently Lathander has morphed (back?) into Amaunator, who you may recall from the Netherese days. This was apparently tipped back in Faiths & Pantheons (although, as I recall, that was a heretical sect, but hey, who am I but a consumer?).

Keep your head down and come back safe!

Edit: Whoops! Sorry, Ayunken-vanzan, missed your reply!
Message left mostly for warm wishes.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I guess I better tell the contractor playing the cleric that she needs to change her god (again,) to Amanautor. By the way, any other nasty surprises about Cormyr or the Thunder Peaks I should know? The DC charts for History and Religion checks are a little generic and missing stuff (especially as noted earlier that there was NO REFERENCE to Shar's role in the Spellplague.) If Valthrun's Tower is actually known as Keegan's Keep and dates back to when Cormyr had outposts along the Thunder Peaks, how long ago was that? Does that mean that Winterhaven is in "no-mans-land," between Cormyr, the Dales, and Sembia? These are probably questions that won't get definitively answered until August, but any other clues would be appreciated.

I'll pop in with some thoughts on the conversion after this week's session...

-Ahwe Yahzhe

P.S. We just finished our third weekend of rolling WW D&D Game Days overseas- check out all the places where we played the Into the Shadowhaunt adventure: www.militarydnd.com (We had 19 locations in Iraq alone!)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  00:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I guess I better tell the contractor playing the cleric that she needs to change her god (again,) to Amanautor.

Why not leave it the way it is? It's your game, after all, it doesn't have to conform to canon.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  07:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Ahwe Yahze,

quote:

By the way, any other nasty surprises about Cormyr or the Thunder Peaks I should know?
None that involve 4E.

I thought about this today and decided that Winterhaven is on the ‘wrong side’ of the Thunder Peaks, such that Imperial Cormyr has officially opted not to heavily garrison it in order to assure Deepingdale and the other Dales that it is not interested in overtaking or annexing their lands.

This fits what we know about Cormyr trying to keep strong its alliance with Myth Drannor and the Dales, in opposition to the Empire of Netheril and its vassal state of Sembia.

I like the idea of it being in a no-mans-land as well. That works pretty good.

One could even spice things up with Sembian agents, etc...

quote:

If Valthrun's Tower is actually known as Keegan's Keep and dates back to when Cormyr had outposts along the Thunder Peaks, how long ago was that?
Note that Keegan’s Keep and Valthrun’s tower are two separate locations. When the keep was destroyed, many tomes of lore were moved to the nearby tower for safe keeping.

In terms of the timeline, I’d put that event around 450 DR or thereabouts, based on what’s mentioned on page 9 of the H1: Realms Conversion with regard to the events surrounding Keegan’s Keep.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Ahwe Yahzhe
Acolyte

Iraq
36 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  08:20:58  Show Profile  Visit Ahwe Yahzhe's Homepage Send Ahwe Yahzhe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought about this today and decided that Winterhaven is on the ‘wrong side’ of the Thunder Peaks, such that Imperial Cormyr has officially opted not to heavily garrison it in order to assure Deepingdale and the other Dales that it is not interested in overtaking or annexing their lands.

This fits what we know about Cormyr trying to keep strong its alliance with Myth Drannor and the Dales, in opposition to the Empire of Netheril and its vassal state of Sembia.

I like the idea of it being in a no-mans-land as well. That works pretty good.

One could even spice things up with Sembian agents, etc...

Thanks Sanishiver!

Yeah, I realized I mixed up the tower with Keegan's (Shadowfell) Keep. I liked your suggestions, especially the part about Sembian agents. I think I'll do the following, since I already presciently placed Winterhaven in the foothills of the Thunder Peaks, on the Deepingdale side:

1) Lord Padraig is descended from the one of the last Purple Knights who secured the Keep after Keegan's demise, and actually was charged with the keeping of the lore in Valthrun's Tower. This devolved into a vague "descended from the nobility of the old empire" level of knowledge, although Valthrun knows that his master received a key from the previous Lord that unlocks the second and third levels of the tower, where the lore is kept. In Cormyr, on the occasion that the border with Deepingdale is discussed, it is assumed that Winterhaven is a "friendly" village, with ties to Cormyr, but otherwise enjoys a benign neglect from the kingdom and its Dale ally.

2) The FR conversion includes a couple of slaver encounters, the key one being enroute to the Keep. Since this is some sort of setup for H2 (not out for a few weeks), I thought your great idea of Sembian agents would fit well in here. If the PCs meet a Sembian agent in Wrafton's Inn, they would have no idea until they find a purchase order from that agent amongst the hobgoblin slaver's belongings. Of course, the agent will be long gone upon the PCs' return to Winterhaven, but it will only bolster their curiousity about who else is hanging around Winterhaven.

3) Thanks for the tips on Lathander/Amanautor, too. I rifled through my .pdf copies of Power of Faerun and Faith and Pantheons (my hard copies are at home in the States), and found all the cool references to the two different Amanautor "heresies." I read through the whole timeline of events in 1374, so I figure that given the relative tolerance of "Lathanautor" for various beliefs among his worshipers, whatever the cleric starts out believing will be fine until she discovers other NPC clerics of her god (which will be sometime after August.) I figure the "Amanautor Ascendent" is probably the best theory to go with for 1487 DR.

Like the classic B2 module, I think I can make Winterhaven a nice homebase for a FR-converted campaign of the H1-3 and P1-3 series modules this year. I like having full-color tactical encounter maps with my modules, because sometimes the Dungeon Tiles are just a pain in the butt. Plus with limited space in my bunker/trailer, all my gaming stuff needs to fit into one gym bag...

BTW, my party mix is pretty hack-and-slashy: two warlocks, two fighters, the cleric, and a ranger. No wizards or rogues, which are still in theory useful in a more urban campaign.

Until then, thanks for the recommendations from everyone!

-Ahwe Yahzhe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000