Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Why will you buy the 4th Ed.?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  10:52:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Leading onto from my first poll question: Will you buy the 4th Ed.? - the follow-up question:

why will you buy the 4th Ed. books?

I encourrage all of you to explain your answers with a post.

"I will buy the 4th Ed. books because I...

Choices:

... want to play the game!
... am a collector maniac!
... like to compare the old rules with the new!
all of the above
other

(Anonymous Vote)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Jun 2008 11:05:02

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  15:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to play the game.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  16:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will play, looks like fun.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  16:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to compare, then decide. I am undecided at the moment, but 4e has a couple of big draws for me:

- the promise of faster high-level play
- simpler monster & npc design
- smarter multiclassing
- mabye it's time for something new, and this may be it
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  01:51:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to keep up on any new FR lore.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  02:59:24  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the new rules have some merit

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  10:21:43  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
like to compare the old rules with the new

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  17:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to play the game.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  18:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I have played the game, I DID buy the PH because it is fun. And seeing the ease the DM had made me want to buy the DMG and MM so I did (buy the DMG so far, MM when I get some money).

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  01:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the Above.

Why? Because I'm a damn good Realms Dungeon Master and I have the privilege of DMing for four very smart players.

So I bought a set of 4E books for each of my players as a way to say ‘thank you’ to them for sticking with our game all these years.

I also benefit from their gaming knowledge and quick analysis of the new system.

Lastly, I want to be the DM that gets them going in the new system and in the new Realms. I want their best 4E memories to be ones made at my gaming table.

:)

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  02:00:37  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

All of the Above.

Why? Because I'm a damn good Realms Dungeon Master and I have the privilege of DMing for four very smart players.

So I bought a set of 4E books for each of my players as a way to say ‘thank you’ to them for sticking with our game all these years.

I also benefit from their gaming knowledge and quick analysis of the new system.

Lastly, I want to be the DM that gets them going in the new system and in the new Realms. I want their best 4E memories to be ones made at my gaming table.

:)

*You* bought *them* E-A-C-H a set of the 4E books to T-H-A-N-K *them* for sticking around for all these years?!?!?! *They* should be buying *you* stuff, not the other way around!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  06:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll make them take me to dinner when we finally wrap up our Third Edition Realms campaign.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  03:23:06  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You better order filet mignon or the next most expensive piece of steak available at that restaurant... with lots of wine too!
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  17:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above. Plus, I'm a geek of epic proportions. I have every D&D book ever printed for public consumption, including the fiction. I've read all of it cover to cover. I stay up late at night wondering about problems like the application of a metatext type godtrap in the world of exarchs and demigods that now exists (i.e. what happens if one of your intended prey's godlings goes stumbling into the trap instead of your intended target?). 4e is just an extension of my musing.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  17:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stonwulfe

All of the above. Plus, I'm a geek of epic proportions. I have every D&D book ever printed for public consumption, including the fiction. I've read all of it cover to cover. I stay up late at night wondering about problems like the application of a metatext type godtrap in the world of exarchs and demigods that now exists (i.e. what happens if one of your intended prey's godlings goes stumbling into the trap instead of your intended target?). 4e is just an extension of my musing.

Wow there is a lot of knowledge within that head of yours. Must be good. Try not to lose too much sleep.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  18:39:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think for me, at this point, the question is "Why will I return it?"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  03:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally Posted by Alisttair:
Wow there is a lot of knowledge within that head of yours. Must be good. Try not to lose too much sleep.

Oh, sleep's never an issue for me. What between my mad D&D related ponderings, ethnoarchaeometallurgical research, full-time employment, and being a father. I sleep like a rock. I just don't sleep much.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000