Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Amaunator's Portfolio
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  03:10:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amaunator never possessed the Time portfolio.

He merely thought, for a period, that he was the 'deity of Time' thanks largely to an mispunctuation [of commas and periods] in a contract made between himself and another deity. The entry itself stated:- "...Amaunator shall be responsible for all time. any misrepresentation of his or his followers, If so deemed the fault of Amaunator..."

This led to Amaunator assuming himself to be in charge of "all time." Though, he never actually made any official move to claim such a position as he was unwilling to act against Mystryl who was, at that time, the unofficial keeper of the Time portfolio.

The Faerūnian pantheon does not have a specific deity of time any more. Mystryl was the Netherese deity of time, even though Amaunator believed he was actually the deity of time [as I noted above].

The absense of any Time portfolio among any pantheons [excluding that held by Labelas] indicates that there is currently no true emphasis of the Time portfolio on Toril at this point. I'm content to believe that the Time portfolio is currently unclaimed in the human pantheons... it's largely supported by the lore and we've seen nothing to suggest otherwise at this point. Eric may have other ideas for the portfolio itself... something that couldn't be explored properly in the material for F&P or LEoF and so held back on it until it could be treated completely -

"I agree, it's pretty unclear at the moment, and I'm not sure I'd want to be definitive about it until some future project (I have nothing in mind) called for it. (In other words, leave room for further development.)

--Eric"

For myself, I'd say it should probably be given to Jergal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Apr 2008 03:11:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  03:13:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly, I've also thought about the possibility that the Time portfolio may have ended up in the hands of Labelas...

To which, Eric added:- "...depending on whether you see the human kingdom of Orva being a Netherese survivor state."

Orva's status as a human kingdom is probable [see the 'Orva' details in the second paragraph of Labelas's entry], according to Eric, who said:- "I add the [probable] qualifier because I had to insert a little bit of Realmslore in Demihuman Deities in the write-up of Labelas Enoreth. (Look at the alias list.) This was to patch up the lack of a time portfolio among any human Realms god and because the only gods left to detail at the time were nonhuman gods.

--Eric"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  00:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

(snip)

Time is one of those pointless portfolios. Unless you have some seriously precision time-keeping devices and/or a buttload of time travelers, there is no point to enforcing the portfolio. It's like Ilsensine's reference to a god of cups and saucers -- sure, someone could grab that portfolio, but why would they?

One may infer, correctly, I think, that the Antlean High Priest Klarkash-ton's biography of John Milwarp suggests quite the opposite!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000