Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Mistshore : Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  22:50:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, the title is Mistshore.
I will still buy and read it asap, but it does not have the appeal it did when I Mis-heard the title. My bookseller mentioned it and I though it was about Mirt's ....oh well, rhymes with shore.
What a great Waterdeep tale that would be.

I loved Delve, so I can't wait for JJ's take on our favorite city!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  03:50:41  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what I will do myself about reading 4e novels. I have read virtually all the previous edition novels, but I don't envision myself following this horrorific 4e stuff. But I always enjoyed the novels. I don't know what to do

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  20:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

The novel does take place in the new 4th editon Realms, but it is not connected as a sequel to Blackstaff Tower, so reading the books out of order will not matter, was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I was unclear.

What is the year this novel takes place please ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  21:29:28  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow
What is the year this novel takes place please ?

It takes place in 1479 DR.

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  23:53:10  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to judge a book by its cover, but. Just got home and my copies of Blackstaff Tower and Mistshore were on the doorstep, hurrah. These continue the trend of what I've found to be better and better design from WotC's book department all the time. And Jaleigh, I think yours will turn out to be my single favorite FR novel cover ever--I love that illustration!

Now, to actual reading!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 05 Sep 2008 23:53:58
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  01:14:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Not to judge a book by its cover, but. Just got home and my copies of Blackstaff Tower and Mistshore were on the doorstep, hurrah. These continue the trend of what I've found to be better and better design from WotC's book department all the time. And Jaleigh, I think yours will turn out to be my single favorite FR novel cover ever--I love that illustration!

Now, to actual reading!

Yes, I like the cover very much as well. It reminds me of the pirate city in the last pirates of the carribean flick.

Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  19:21:44  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
Yes, I like the cover very much as well. It reminds me of the pirate city in the last pirates of the carribean flick.

I was very happy with how the cover turned out. I really need to try to get in touch with the artist to see about getting a blown-up print.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  00:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have to say, that cover really stirs the imagination.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  14:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This bit from page 77 made me smile. The protagonist, Icelin, suffers from eidetic memory, and here she's recalling the conversation with an old teacher in which he introduced her to the method of loci:

quote:
"Picture your mind as a vast library," Nelzun had described it at the time.

"No vault can contain all of what rattles around in my head," she'd complained. But her teacher had only smiled indulgently.

"Once you have walked the halls of Candlekeep, with permanent wide eyes and slackening of jaw, you may feel quite different," he'd said.

When are we gonna see book club scrolls for the two newest books?

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  16:28:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

When are we gonna see book club scrolls for the two newest books?
Alaundo's currently away from the Halls at the moment. I may just have to tackle this myself. I'll look into opening some Book Club scrolls for these books in the next day or two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mo Foard
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  19:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Mo Foard's Homepage Send Mo Foard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an interview I did with Jaleigh Johnson that just went up:

www.flamesrising.com/interview-with-forgotten-realms-author-jaleigh-johnson/

J
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  20:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really good !
A bit long for a non English-born but I will try to have a look at it in the week-end.
Thanks for this piece of info Mo Foard... And welcome to the Keep !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  21:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So the prologue of Mistshore is a letter from grandfather to granddaughter, but it’s also a letter from me to a reader discovering the Realms for the first time. I want them to see the magic of the Realms the way I saw it, and to be swept up the way I was with all the possibilities for stories.

That's quite sweet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  21:39:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice interview. Can't wait to read it!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  01:13:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Book Club scrolls for Mistshore are now open. Enjoy!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  01:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Foard

Here is an interview I did with Jaleigh Johnson that just went up:
J

Thanks for the heads-up, J. I tried to get on earlier to post about it, but the day job kept getting in the way.
quote:

The Book Club scrolls for Mistshore are now open. Enjoy!

Thanks, Sage!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  16:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes beautifull cover. I finished reading City of Splendors yesterday so I just started reading Mistshore today

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  01:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished this novel today, and I was very pleased, entertained, and impressed.

J.J.'s characters just get in your head and stay there. I was completely convinced from page 1 and never, ever knocked out of the story.

(Plus what can I say? I like the sexy elf rogues.)

Cheers

P.S. Oh, and I wanted to add to Steve's long ago sleep-deprived plugging moment:

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Sorry. Insomnia and silliness have forced me to post plugs for the two books by Waterdhavian natives herein.

BLACKSTAFF TOWER: "Hey! I can see my house from here!"

MISTSHORE: "Gee, I hope I can get back to my house alive from here...."

DOWNSHADOW: "My house is how far above us here?"

CITY OF THE DEAD: "Welp, better make that mausoleum my new house, here."

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  14:14:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I just finished this novel today, and I was very pleased, entertained, and impressed.

J.J.'s characters just get in your head and stay there. I was completely convinced from page 1 and never, ever knocked out of the story.

(Plus what can I say? I like the sexy elf rogues.)

Cheers

P.S. Oh, and I wanted to add to Steve's long ago sleep-deprived plugging moment:

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Sorry. Insomnia and silliness have forced me to post plugs for the two books by Waterdhavian natives herein.

BLACKSTAFF TOWER: "Hey! I can see my house from here!"

MISTSHORE: "Gee, I hope I can get back to my house alive from here...."

DOWNSHADOW: "My house is how far above us here?"

CITY OF THE DEAD: "Welp, better make that mausoleum my new house, here."

I was thinking,

City of the Dead : Hey I can see my next home from here!

Mistshore just arrived at my door and the cover is even better than it looks online. As soon as I fininsh the City of Ravens(which I find hard to put down) and Blackstaff tower, since I have read the sample chapter, I cannot wait to devour double J's latest!

Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  20:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about 60 pages from the end but this is a damn good book. I really enjoyed blackstaff tower but i didint feel anything for the characters the way I do in mistshore. It's quality all around icelin has a good solid Dwarven constitution to her nature. I hope someday that my writing is on par with JJ's and I say that in all seriousness.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000