Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Black people/nations in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  01:44:48  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do any exist?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  02:04:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chult mostly and the southern lands are dark skinned.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  02:18:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my response in another thread, over in Sages of Realms lore -

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Off the top of my head - Turmish, Chult, any of the countries on the Chultan Peninsula (Samarach, Thindol, Tashalar, Lapaliya).

That would be 'very dark', as you put it.

For a more Semetic/Meditteranean Olive Tone, anywhere along the Shining South, Old Empires, and the Shaar.

That would be from Faerūn proper - many more choices further afield.

Best choice centralized to Faerūn would be Turmish.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  04:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The average Durparian is often described as dark-skinned. As are the Turami people of Unther.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 22 Mar 2008 04:50:54
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  09:37:27  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Races of Faerun, p. 106 et seq. such humans live in

- the Jungles of Chult. The inhabitents of the Chultan peninsula, called the Chultans, are tall, ebony-skinned humans who migrated north millenia ago from a great island in the southern seas of Abir-Toril.

- Durpar, Estagund, Veldron and Var the Golden. The humans short and dark-skinned humans living here are called the Durpari. There is a history of enslavement of these people by the Mulan of Mulhorand (around -1000 DR). So my guess is, that decendents from enslaved Durpari can still be found in Mulhorand and maybe Unther today.

- Turmish. Native to the western shores of the Alamber Sea, the humans called the Turmari were driven westwards by the migration of the Mulan after the Fall if the Imaskari Empire in -2488 DR. The mahogany-skinned, flat-faced Turami now inhabit the southern coast of the Sea of Fallen Stars known as Turmish. A minority population lives in Chessenta, Unther and Mulhorand as well.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Mar 2008 09:44:39
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  09:50:15  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course the Drow and Half-drow...(if you do not mean only humans)

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 22 Mar 2008 09:54:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  14:15:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no black-skinned people in the Realms. Because artists couldn't get it right, they were all retconned to blue or grey skin.

And mother of Lurue, I wish that what WotC did with drow hadn't inspired that comment!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  14:59:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There are no black-skinned people in the Realms. Because artists couldn't get it right, they were all retconned to blue or grey skin.

And mother of Lurue, I wish that what WotC did with drow hadn't inspired that comment!

Grin. I've said my piece about that change over the years, so I don't need to repeat it. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  18:43:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always go back to Greyhawk... at least they stayed the same there over the years.

And since that city - Erelhei-Cinlu - appears in an FR product (2e DotU), there's no reason why you couldn't use them in FR (connection through the Underland, as per Monte Cook's Beyond Countless Doorways - an transitive plane that connects all worlds Underdarks)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  19:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You could always go back to Greyhawk... at least they stayed the same there over the years.

And since that city - Erelhei-Cinlu - appears in an FR product (2e DotU), there's no reason why you couldn't use them in FR (connection through the Underland, as per Monte Cook's Beyond Countless Doorways - an transitive plane that connects all worlds Underdarks)

Can you give me the page # for Erelhei-Cinlu? And mayhap the general area where to find the city... I'm taking my players through GDQ

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:02:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Boyd actually did a short paragraph in DDGttU to account for the listing of a GH drow city in the drow cities of the Realms. It didn't survive editing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to point out that the answer depends on how one defines "black people."

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd actually did a short paragraph in DDGttU to account for the listing of a GH drow city in the drow cities of the Realms. It didn't survive editing.

-- George Krashos

So is there a reference in the guide or not? This is kinda crucial to me as for how I plan the GDQ stuff in my campaign.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:55:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

Can you give me the page # for Erelhei-Cinlu? And mayhap the general area where to find the city... I'm taking my players through GDQ

Erelhei-Cinlu appears as a reference in a listing of known drow cities, on pg. 98. There is nothing more mentioned about the city in Drow of the Underdark.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  19:08:58  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I get the feeling there's something here I missed?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  23:44:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, the text about the drow skin tone in the Underdark sourcebook was changed because artists supposedly couldn't draw/paint/etc ebony/obsidian skinned drow.

Rich Baker said that they only did this in one sourcebook in the last 20 or so years because the artists had a difficult time drawing drow... thus the text was changed to match the artist images.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  00:59:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I think that's bogus. Rather than send art back and/or demand that the artists match the art to the description (which didn't happen oft in 3.x, anyway), they simply caved and issued a retcon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  01:20:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternatively, if the artists refused, it could have simply been decided to just leave that particular image out of the sourcebook itself, and the associated text in its original form.

There are plenty of drow images elsewhere, and published in previous Realms sources after all.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  01:30:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Do any exist?

I also spent some time a great while ago wondering where someone of perhaps an African-like heritage could be from. Mind you this was well before I knew much of anything really about the Realms.

Just looking at our own world, the areas below Egypt are predominantly "black" African, so I looked at the areas of the Forgotten Realms to make a similar comparison.

Pretty much I made the Shaar the "mixing point" of my Realms and the people there were plains type Africans...as well as points south.

I actually had the Chultans as more of a Mezo-American type of people or natives similar to the Amazon Basin peoples.

If you want Canon...I'm not one to know much about it...my Forgotten Realms campaigns are what I make them with my players...we don't tend to stick to Canon because it gets in the way of us having fun sometimes.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  13:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always gotten the impression that Chultans are an "African-like" people.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  13:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Basically, the text about the drow skin tone in the Underdark sourcebook was changed because artists supposedly couldn't draw/paint/etc ebony/obsidian skinned drow.

Rich Baker said that they only did this in one sourcebook in the last 20 or so years because the artists had a difficult time drawing drow... thus the text was changed to match the artist images.

As an illustrator myself, I can explain this: using black on a figure in a painting takes all the life out of it. Painters pretty much always shade skin tones with purples, browns, or cool or warm grays (that is, grays with color added to them). So this makes "black-skinned" drow quite an artistic challenge in a painting. (A black & white ink drawing does not present this problem, of course.)

Some artists have done a better job than others with their representation of the drow skin tone - for instance, I really can't stand Easley's Drizzt, but I think Todd Lockwood gets the drow skin tones pretty right on, and I like Raven Mimura's yathrinshee illustration a lot (Player's Guide to Faerun). But having literally "black" skin on a figure in a painting really isn't feasible as it simply deadens the artwork.

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing

Edited by - Drunken Master on 24 Mar 2008 13:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  15:31:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drunken Master

As an illustrator myself, I can explain this: using black on a figure in a painting takes all the life out of it. Painters pretty much always shade skin tones with purples, browns, or cool or warm grays (that is, grays with color added to them). So this makes "black-skinned" drow quite an artistic challenge in a painting. (A black & white ink drawing does not present this problem, of course.)

Some artists have done a better job than others with their representation of the drow skin tone - for instance, I really can't stand Easley's Drizzt, but I think Todd Lockwood gets the drow skin tones pretty right on, and I like Raven Mimura's yathrinshee illustration a lot (Player's Guide to Faerun). But having literally "black" skin on a figure in a painting really isn't feasible as it simply deadens the artwork.

Bah. It has been done before: http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/gh/gh-wg12.htm

The fact that it has been done shows that it can be done by other artists. And if the customer (in this case, WotC) tells an artist to do artwork matching a certain description, then the artist is obligated to meet those demands. If they don't, they shouldn't get paid, and the art shouldn't be used. The last thing the customer should do is say that since it's too difficult for the artist, then the description needs to be changed.

It can be done. It has been done (and I'll argue that it was done without deadening the artwork). Therefore, it should be done. With clear evidence that it is possible, any reasons why it isn't are simply excuses.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Mar 2008 15:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  16:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I totally forgot about that picture... and I owned this module back in 89/90...I think

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  23:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a nice picture, I'll say that much.

Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  01:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she looks kinda dead to me. I agree with Wooly that artists should do as they are told, even if the end result is silly looking. It's not their role to tell designers that their concepts are bad.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  02:37:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

So is there a reference in the guide or not? This is kinda crucial to me as for how I plan the GDQ stuff in my campaign.

As Sage has said, the reference was on a list of 'known Drow cities' - a Realms-specific list, I might add. That doesn't mean it is in FR, but it does mean that FR Drow know about it, and most likely had some sort of contact with those Drow (else, how would they have found out the name?)

Thats why I sugested using that wonderful 3rd party source, which postulates that below the deep Underdark, there is an even more sinister Underealm called the Underland, which is in reality a seperate Underdark-type plane that connects to every worlds Underdark. I use it to explain why a lot of the same things live in every prime worlds Underdark, plus its just plain cool to connect them all like that.

Thanks for pointing that out Wooly - you made me dig through all my old GH modules to find it. The artist was Roger Loveless (appropriate last name for a guy who does Drow).

Anyhow, I searched in vain for an online gallery for him, but it seams all he does is Christian Religous Art now (and absolutely NO mention of his past working as a fantasy/D&D artist!)

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Mar 2008 02:49:21
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  03:25:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I need to go back through some of my d20 resources again. I completely forgot abotu Underland, and that's a damn cool concept. Thanks for reminding me of that one Markustay.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  03:42:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for pointing that out Wooly - you made me dig through all my old GH modules to find it. The artist was Roger Loveless (appropriate last name for a guy who does Drow).

Anyhow, I searched in vain for an online gallery for him, but it seams all he does is Christian Religous Art now (and absolutely NO mention of his past working as a fantasy/D&D artist!)

Yeah, I noted that myself. I would have rather posted a link to the original artwork, instead of the cover of a module, but I didn't have any choice.

Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  19:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Although I do not personally care for the topic and think its a waste of time and should even be considered taboo, I must pely say that I TOTALLY disagree with this claim. I also think that there is too much worrying about how characters were depicted by what artists and will say this: There ARE the equivalent of blacks in the Realms and the term "black skin" or "ebony skin" is NOT true black or ebony. No one is PURE black like a crayon and it is ridiculous and offensive to limit the beauty of the imaginary world with such things as "how things were supposed to be portrayed" because of how they were originally made. This sort of pondering ruins the fantasy experience in my view.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  20:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for clarification, Wooly was refering to drow, not "black people" as in people from the real world with dark brown skin.

Which brings me back to what I said before, it's important to define what exactly is meant by "black people." This is definitely a touchy subject.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  21:42:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

quote:

Although I do not personally care for the topic and think its a waste of time and should even be considered taboo, I must pely say that I TOTALLY disagree with this claim. I also think that there is too much worrying about how characters were depicted by what artists and will say this: There ARE the equivalent of blacks in the Realms and the term "black skin" or "ebony skin" is NOT true black or ebony. No one is PURE black like a crayon and it is ridiculous and offensive to limit the beauty of the imaginary world with such things as "how things were supposed to be portrayed" because of how they were originally made. This sort of pondering ruins the fantasy experience in my view.

I was making a joke, based on how drow skintones were retconned to fit what artists did, rather than forcing the artists to follow a description. I was not saying that there are no dark-skinned people at all in the Realms. I've followed this setting for almost 20 years; there's no way I could make a mistake like that.

And the descriptions we've had of drow are that their skintone is pure black. I don't see why there is any issue with having this or any other skintone in a fantasy world, so long as it makes sense -- and having skin as dark as possible on an Underdark race makes sense (even if the corresponding white hair doesn't). It also makes perfect sense that surface worlders of any race will have varied skintones, particularly based on their geographic region and/or heritage.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000