Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Paizo announces 3.5 revised
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  13:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Alright, I launched my Pathfinder Alpha playtest campaign tonight, and I can't recall the last time I have been as excited about running a D&D campaign!

I decided to set it in Thunderstone, in Cormyr. If you want to, you can read about it here:

Honkin' big link!

(Again, Sage and Wooly, feel free to shorten that link )

Mod edit: Link shortened.

Thanks, Wooly!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  20:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale
see ya there then. You at the forgottenrealmsvault as well?

The what?

I'm seriously curious about another Realms site!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  23:29:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[removed] Its run by Alediran from the wotc FR forums. Not much activity, but I have a feeling that in August it will pick up.

BRIMSTONE

Mod Edit: Removed website address.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jun 2008 01:26:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  00:34:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its the site where most of the fan-based FR projects have been moved (from WotC) since the Gencon 4e announcment.

The Elven Netbook is probably the best known and nearest to completion, but recently a pdf Map of Waterdeep was added that is simply AMAZING!

The guy who did it made everything scalable, so you can get a birds-eye view of the entire city, to printing out DETAILED street maps for use with miniatures (detailed as in 'all canon locales placed'). It is a beautiful labor of love by a dedicated fan, and an indispensible FREE source.

BTW, the guy tried to get it put up here at the Keep, but got no response, so Aledirion was clever enough to scoop it up for the Vault.

Once August comes around, I have a feeling participation there will skyrocket (as it will probably do here as well).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  01:27:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Brimstone, but I've removed the address of your website because it breaches Section A.9 of the Candlekeep Code of Conduct:-

A.9. It is not permitted for members to create threads or posts simply to advertise other websites, forums or web services. Feel free to add a link to other sites within your profile signature, but all other advertising should be avoided without first obtaining permission from the Head Moderator.

If you wish to discuss this matter, please contact me privately.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  22:18:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm...

I would think that giving a web address when directly asked for the link wasn't a violation.

Anyhow, just to dump some more fuel on the fire (and because I think it's funny as hell), Vic Wertz over at Paizo has announced yet another major coup by them in aquiring yet another ex-WotC employee. He said Paizo will be making an official announcment about a week from now.

While Mike Mearls - formerly an Employee of Monte Cook - preaches on about the evil that was the OGL (I won't provide the link, but its over at EnWorld), the rest of the company appears to be running for higher ground.

I never thought I'd see the day wherein the RPG industry got as interesting (and tawdry) as a Reality TV show.

EDIT:
Some very smart people have already figured out that it is Sean K. Reynolds.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jun 2008 22:31:44
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  23:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. It would be monumental if we were to ever see Rich Baker (this is pure speculation and not based in any way on fact) jump the WotC ship and move on to work at Paizo. While a curse to us, I think that taking the Dungeon and Dragon mags away from Paizo was a blessing in disguise for them. The next year will be very interesting to watch what happens in the RPG world.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  01:50:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hmmmm...

I would think that giving a web address when directly asked for the link wasn't a violation.
It probably would've been best to send the address as a PM, I think.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  14:39:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough.

Yeah, I wonder sometimes if this whole 'war' is just smoke and mirrors, so that the original guys from TSR get control of the IP, or at the very least, D&D's slice of the RPG industry.

The guys who were behind the OGL all left and now use it against WotC, and if I didn't know better, I would say that god-awful PR campaign WotC is running is purposely sending the customer-base to other venues.

In a way, the OGL, and then 4e, may wind up responsible for taking the riegns of D&D back from an uncaring corporation.

Futuitous accident, or careefully orchestrated business guile?

Stay tuned....

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2008 14:40:36
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  01:13:53  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Some very smart people have already figured out that it is Sean K. Reynolds.

Cool! Does anybody know what Eric Boyd has been doing, lately?
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  05:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, let's keep the theorizing on facts not in evidence to a minimum, and remember that the topic here is Paizo's continued support of the 3.5 ruleset through the Pathfinder RPG.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  03:57:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FACT in Evidence:
Pathfinder RPG has now come out with a logo that will allow 3rd parties to develop for PRPG... and they're lining up.

Read about Erik Mona's announcment HERE.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  04:19:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

FACT in Evidence:
Pathfinder RPG has now come out with a logo that will allow 3rd parties to develop for PRPG... and they're lining up.

Read about Erik Mona's announcment HERE.

-So that was the Big announcement. BTW Markus did you get the FREE PDF that Paizo is giving away today. Revenge of the Kobold King.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:41:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No - was it downloadable? I missed FREE RPG Day.

Anyhow, a couple of other things - Goodman Games, one of 4e/WotC supporters has produced a line of products for the 4e game... that will be released BEFORE the GSL date of Oct 1!

It seems that another shot has been launched across WotC's bow - they are producing 4e material with NO intention of signing the silly GSL!

At least one other company has also announced non-GSL 4e products, but the name slips my mind.

So 4e is indeed getting support, but not at all in the way WotC intended (outside of their control). Now I wish I had stuck with going to Gencon - I'd love to see the reaction of the WotC team when other vendors are selling unlicensed 4e products around them.

Plus, the printed version of Paizo's rules will be available for the first time at the Con.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  00:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, you crack me up sometimes buddy. Goodman Games isn't using the GSL because they went direct to WotC to negotiate a direct license agreement. They are not selling unlicensed 4e product behind Wizards back. No one wants Hasbro's lawyers breathing down their necks.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  07:24:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Here you go Markus http://paizo.com/store/blog#v5748dyo5l9en Its The second one "Revenge of the Kobold King. It's still free!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  13:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Markus, you crack me up sometimes buddy. Goodman Games isn't using the GSL because they went direct to WotC to negotiate a direct license agreement. They are not selling unlicensed 4e product behind Wizards back. No one wants Hasbro's lawyers breathing down their necks.

Can you state a source on that? I checked and rechecked Goodman Games site and didn't find any mention of such an agreement.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:08:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Can you state a source on that? I checked and rechecked Goodman Games site and didn't find any mention of such an agreement.

Even without the mention, I'm inclined to believe it. As Brian points out, Hasbro's got a much bigger legal team than most of the rest of the RPG world, and taking them on is just plain stupid.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  16:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So...do http://www.adamantentertainment.com/ also have a seperate agreement with Hasbro/Wotzee?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  20:15:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Delta (Brim - you are Delta, right?)

There is a much bigger legal team then Hasbro's - the Internet! Dozens of professional lawyers have been pouring over the license on several sites (for free - they're fans), and they really don't see why someone couldn't design products for use with 4e WITHOUT signing the license. In fact, they'd be in a much BETTER position, legally.

Once you sign that ridiculous GSL, WotC owns you body and soul, and thanks to a 'survivor clause', they can still continue to control you LONG after they cancel the license!

If you don't sign it, the worse they can do is tell you to stop, and bring you to court if you don't. Who is that going to cost more in the long run? When TSR brought Gygax to court for creating his own game system (Dangerous Journeys), they won... and they had to buy Gary's system from him for FAR MORE then it was worth, or that it would ever make. Some victory.

So let WotC bring dozens of tiny companies to court to protect an IP they may not even own any more (people are working on trying to prove the D&D IP has long stood unprotected, and by default is now public domain). In the long run, it will cost them more then those companies are worth, and the people who are behind those companies can easily start up the next day and do it all over again - thats the beauty of incorporating - it doesn't hold the shareholders lible for the actions of the company.

Every year these 'small timers' can pop-up and do whatever they like - they are like roaches - you never really get rid of them. You can step on them all you like, and in few weeks you have them back.

So, how long will it take for Hasbro's legal dept. to get fed up with constantly trying to protect WotC's IP, when the parent company already is cracking down and demanding more revenue from them?

I'm already looking forward to Fansite license - that should be a hoot.

Stop defending them Brian - I want to see this so-called 'license agreement' Goodman has with WotC - the guys at Paizo have already stated that there wasn't enough time to negotiate a seperate license afer the GSL came out. So either they're lying (the company with a near-perfect record of pleasing the fans) or WotC is... a company that has done nothing but fabricate half-truths for the past year.

Necromancer games, who is a partner of Paizo, is also releasing a 4e Adventure (the name escapes me ATM), and they have NO intention of signing anything with Wizards. You can't Copyright a ruleset - only the TEXT describing the rules. Use different words, and you're good to go.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jun 2008 20:23:41
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  20:34:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Nevermind, I am an idiot.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 25 Jun 2008 20:35:42
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  20:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted on the U.S. Copyright Office website

The idea for a game is not protected by copyright. The same is true of the name or title given to the game and of the method or methods for playing it.

Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in the development, merchandising, or playing of a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.

Some material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game, or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container, may be registrable.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  22:13:20  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Goodman and Adamants get a special license, that doesn't let them use the D&D Logo or name, yet massive supporters of WoTC like Necromancer don't have a special license?

That makes sense..
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  22:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, it does... and if I tell the truth them soccer oaf will stop shouting now!

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  22:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they didn't stop... so what I said cannot be true... the making sense part

Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  18:26:29  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read an announcement on paizo.com saying that Sean K. Reynolds has joined Paizo Publishing!

http://paizo.com/paizo/news/v5748eaic9l9j
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  18:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweetness!!!

But he has been guessed as the new guy over at the forums...great nonethless to have it confirmed

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  03:25:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwizard

I just read an announcement on paizo.com saying that Sean K. Reynolds has joined Paizo Publishing!

http://paizo.com/paizo/news/v5748eaic9l9j

You beat me to it. Good score for the Paizo peeps

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  05:18:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep - many folks already guessed it, but now it's official.

You really can't compare WotC's current lineup with some of the names Paizo's got now.

Someday in the future, this will be known as the 'Battle for D&D' - those who want to turn it into a mass-market toy, and those who fought to keep it true to it's roots.

Makes me wonder how many of the guys currently at WotC secretly wish they were on the other side, fighting the 'good fight'. Of course, being a dreamer doesn't pay the bills, and for a lot of folks being a 'rebel' just isn't worth your job security.

Still, no matter how this turns out, competition is always good news for us - the fans. It means everyone will be trying harder to impress us over the next year or so.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jun 2008 05:18:35
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  22:56:58  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now I've played 4th ed. And even though I had low expectations, it still failed to meet them. So I am happier than ever that Paizo decided to run with the ball. And I must say I'm getting very excited by the talent they're bringing in. I mean their stuff was great before (Hallow's Last Hope and the Crown of the Kobold King were great mods IMO), it's just only looking up from here.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000