Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Paizo announces 3.5 revised
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  16:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone downloaded my Pathfinder Character Sheet (you can find a link to it in my sig)? I was just wondering because I am always looking for constructive criticism on ways to improve my character sheets.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Gwydion669
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  23:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Gwydion669's Homepage Send Gwydion669 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Query:

I'm still kind'a new around here and would like to get to know the place before steppin' on toes, spewin' on decorum, rapin' the horses and ridin' off on the women.

Would this thread be an appropriate place to do a quick 'n dirty review of Pathfinder? Or am I as virtually lost as I am lost in reality?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  01:36:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is indeed the place for such things - only in this sub-forum are non-FR topics (concerning D&D/D20 of course) to be discussed. We don't have a seperate sub-forum for 3rd party D20, so everything ends up here in the 'Core' section.

So go ahead, and review away.

In a nutshell, my review would be - Pathfinder attempts to fix many of the shortcomings of the 3e system, without building an entire new system from scratch. Its still 3e at its core, but its been "fine-tuned", and will continue to recieve this sort of attention to detail over the next year (before the final comes out).

Is is it successful at what it's trying to do? That remains to be seen... so far, I would say 95% of the changes are things that really needed to be addressed (like balancing Druids against every other class), and at that I would say they've been immensly successful. The 'Bloodlines' thing for Sorcerors is phenomenal - now Sorceror's are a whole seperate class, not just a "poor man's wizard". They've also added in some intersting options to character builds, allowing people more choices during character development (similar to what was done to the Ranger between 3.0 and 3.5, and also like those 'replacement levels' that appeared in several articles).

They also tried to do a little streamlining - one of the things 4e does well (perhaps a bit TOO well). They combined several skills, and even created a new one (thats a first... and VERY controversial).

Anyhow, I think its a hell of a start, but its far from done. I think with all the major playtesting they are doing over the next 11 months (by fans, not 'company men'), and the constant stream of suggestions pouring in from the fanbase, it's just going to get better, and may indeed take the crown when all is said and done.

The hardest part is going to be balancing 'ease of play' (which is 4e's bread and butter), with backward-compatibility. 3e was not meant to be 'fast and easy' - its a bit of a monolithic monstrosity, and Paizo has their work cut out for them ironing out all the rough patches. Fortunetly, a lot of that is stuff that Monte Cook's been tinkering with for awhile now with his own line, and now that he is onboard with Pathfinder, I think the 'dream-team' they've assembled will be able to pull it off.

And they are wrapping it around a wonderful NEW world - thats just icing on the cake. Although the final rules will be OGL, its nice that there is world attached that doesn't need to be wrecked for the sake of a new edition... the way Greyhawk and the Realms were.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2008 01:40:30
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  02:57:00  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Has anyone downloaded my Pathfinder Character Sheet (you can find a link to it in my sig)? I was just wondering because I am always looking for constructive criticism on ways to improve my character sheets.

Other than the misspelling of Combat Maneuver Bonus initials, I think you've covered everything.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  03:31:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The 'Bloodlines' thing for Sorcerors is phenomenal - now Sorceror's are a whole seperate class, not just a "poor man's wizard".

yeah, That really jumped out at me too. I love it. I hope that WoTc does something like this in 4e. It does make the Sorcerer something different

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  15:15:27  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They combined several skills, and even created a new one (thats a first... and VERY controversial).

Do you mean the Fly skill? If so I rather think it's unnecesary, but then again flight rarely comes up in any games I play in or run, YMMV.

One thing that really sticks out to me at least is how they made all the classes interesting for 20 levels. I always prefered PrC's as I usually got bored with a class after lv 10 or so (sometimes sooner depending on the class). With the changes they've made I can actually envision playing a class to lv 20.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  16:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Other than the misspelling of Combat Maneuver Bonus initials, I think you've covered everything.
Thanks for catching that, only one mis-spelling on an early attempt at a character sheet for a new(ish) rules set is not bad for me. I will have to change that and get 1.2 up soon. Any other critiques/suggestions? I like to do multiple changes all at once.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 01 Jul 2008 16:58:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  22:04:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Do you mean the Fly skill?
Thats the one.

At first I, like so many others, were like "why?"

But people like you and I haven't run into the problem that that particular fix was trying to address, and now that I am aware of how people were abusing a rule (or lack thereof), I can get behind it.

It seems a lot of groups get their entire party 'airborn' ASAP, which gives them an incredible advantage, and makes the DM's job a nightmare. With the new rule, people don't automatically become "the Red Baron" by casting a spell, drinking a potion, or hopping onto a broom or carpet. Without any sortof skill attached to it, players were walking all over their DMs, and doing complex arial maneuvers and strafing-attacks.

Even the Terrasque goes down easy when the whole party is high in the sky!

So, now if you want to fly (well), you need to surrender some skill points, and you have a stat to make rolls agaist for all the craziness people used to get away with for free.

True, in most games (like yours and mine) it never came up, but Pathfinder is all about finding the broken spots in 3e and fixing them, and this was obviously one of those that most of us missed.

Oh... and the folks that are screaming the loudest about it over on the Paizo boards all happen to be the players that were taking advantage of the situation before.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2008 22:05:57
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  02:16:19  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh... and the folks that are screaming the loudest about it over on the Paizo boards all happen to be the players that were taking advantage of the situation before.

Well, like a certain rashemi beserker was fond of saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the kick"!

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  08:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Do you mean the Fly skill?
Thats the one.

At first I, like so many others, were like "why?"

But people like you and I haven't run into the problem that that particular fix was trying to address, and now that I am aware of how people were abusing a rule (or lack thereof), I can get behind it.

It seems a lot of groups get their entire party 'airborn' ASAP, which gives them an incredible advantage, and makes the DM's job a nightmare. With the new rule, people don't automatically become "the Red Baron" by casting a spell, drinking a potion, or hopping onto a broom or carpet. Without any sortof skill attached to it, players were walking all over their DMs, and doing complex arial maneuvers and strafing-attacks.

Even the Terrasque goes down easy when the whole party is high in the sky!

So, now if you want to fly (well), you need to surrender some skill points, and you have a stat to make rolls agaist for all the craziness people used to get away with for free.

True, in most games (like yours and mine) it never came up, but Pathfinder is all about finding the broken spots in 3e and fixing them, and this was obviously one of those that most of us missed.

I most definitely would have folded 'Fly' into 'Acrobatics' or 'Spellcraft'. But James said that they "have some plans for the skill", so I'm guessing it is meant for flying monsters, most likely. Still, it feels silly -- why not give them an (EX) ability that lets them use an untrained Acrobatics with heavy bonuses?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  04:27:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it takes the place of all the maneuverabilty stuff that former editions dealt with - with a skill, we have a decent scale to rate everything against, and now players must surrender a few points if they want become like the 'Blue Angels'.

People can still cast a spell or drink a potion or whatever, but then they are using the skill untrained, and they are just as likely to slam into a wall as they are to make a nose-dive and last-minute arial loop or barrel-roll.

The idea isn't to just fix the common problems everyone knows about (like Polymorph), but rather fix ALL the problems so they don't arise in our games in the first place.

And some races, like Tieflings, Dragonborn, and even Elves (Avarials) can fly (or at least have a chance to at later levels using Feats), and it makes sense to give this ability its own skill - otherwise you'd have people who just got on a broom for the first time flying as well as an Aarakocra who was born with his wings.

Hmmmm... that broom reference just made me realize that adding that skill in makes it much easier to do a 'Harry Potter' setting.

I wonder... nahhhhh... she certainly doesn't need the money...

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jul 2008 04:29:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000