Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 FR Movie Possible
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  13:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Delete Topic
According to ENWorld, Scott Rouse mentioned that both the Forgotten Realms and Eberron have garnered quite a response from the Hollywood crowd when they pitched the settings to them.

quote:
In another interview with Scott Rouse this morning, we got to talking about the state of D&D in the public eye. The Rouse let slip that he's been talking to various Hollywood insiders about the potential development of a D&D movie or television series.

Both Forgotten Realms and Eberron seem to have garnered the biggest response from the Hollywood crowd. Rouse himself seems to be leaning towards a movie based off of R.A. Salvatore's character Drizzt, most likely focusing around the events of the popular book, "The Crystal Shard."

It's important to note that nothing is definite. It is certain, however, that Wizards of the Coast has at least approached director James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma, Girl Interrupted) with several pitches.

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  14:18:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
If set within the new 4th Ed. Realms and most likely with Drizzt I rather have no FR movie at all.

Than again, the Eberron setting can have movie of similar take and quality as last D&D movie, for all that I care..........

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Mar 2008 14:23:42
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  14:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
If it is going to be based upon "The Crystal Shard" then it can't be happening in 4E Realms. Besides they wouldn't do something that stupid. There was no Drizzit (deliberately wrong spelling) 4E novel yet (unless "The Orc King" is out already) and I suppose that his classic adventures are more popular with his fans. I don't like Drizzit either but I do not say "no" to the movie. It all depends upon the budget they would get to make it. If they manage to gather enough money to create a movie which quality would be similar to that of Narnia Chronicles or Stardust then why not? It would be nice to see Realms coming alive, especially if the script is good and the cast appropriate (I want Jason Isaacs for Entreri ). On the other hand, if the outcome would look like one of those Uwe Boll's movies or lousy D&D movie (with poor Jeremy Irons), then they should better leave Realms alone.

Edited by - Verghityax on 02 Mar 2008 14:47:12
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  15:06:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
I agree with Verghityax!

Oh, and a sidenote: but Jeremy Irons shine in Eragon. I donīt envision Brom like was portrayed in the movie... and this only make Irons work shine more yet.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  15:06:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I still maintain that a Drizzt movie is a bad idea, since you can't showcase what makes him unique without showing his backstory, and that will invite charges of racism. There are many people out there who look for something to get upset about, and depicting a race of dark-skinned people as being thoroughly evil and happily murderous is simply begging for trouble.

And also, I am pretty much against the adaptation of any existing story. Not only will any story they pick upset people ("why this one and not that one?"), but any adaptation is going to have problems -- story elements being dropped or modified, casting choices, characterization...

They should do what so many Realms authors have done, including RAS: tell a new story, with new characters.

But... The history of D&D movies is not a good one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  15:08:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I agree with Verghityax!

Oh, and a sidenote: but Jeremy Irons shine in Eragon. I donīt envision Brom like was portrayed in the movie... and this only make Irons work shine more yet.

Ugh, I didn't like that movie. All it was was an entirely fantasy-based version of Star Wars.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Mar 2008 15:34:41
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  15:14:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I already reported this over in the other thread. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  15:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I agree with Verghityax!

Ugh, I didn't like that movie. All it was was an entirely fantasy-based version Star Wars.

Yes, I didnīt like it, too. But Jeremy Irons was very good, besides the quality of the movie.

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  15:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message
Jeremy Irons is one of my favourite actors, period...BUT he seems to have a strange fetish of starring in absolutely craptastic fantasy flicks, which Iīll never understand. Anyone read the "Gamerīs Rant" on this one? I thought it was straight on point.

Concerning a FR movie, please make it an original story. Anything else is an invitation for catastrophe.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  16:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I agree with Verghityax!

Ugh, I didn't like that movie. All it was was an entirely fantasy-based version of Star Wars.

Agreed on that. I dislike the movie and the book as well (in my opinion it's just some very naive and lousy fantasy for kids). The worst thing is that Eragon fanbase resembles that of Drizzit (at least in Poland as I'm not sure how it looks in other countries) - try to say something bad about it (even if it is only constructive criticism) and you will most likely get insulted and they will tell you that you are not right anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  16:39:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Jeremy Irons is one of my favourite actors, period...BUT he seems to have a strange fetish of starring in absolutely craptastic fantasy flicks, which Iīll never understand. Anyone read the "Gamerīs Rant" on this one? I thought it was straight on point.

Have you a link to this rant?

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  17:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message
Sadly, no. Sorry Wooly. The "Gamerīs Rant" is a regular column in the "Knights of the Dinner Table". The Eragon-Rant was in issue No.127 of the mag.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  17:23:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Sadly, no. Sorry Wooly. The "Gamerīs Rant" is a regular column in the "Knights of the Dinner Table". The Eragon-Rant was in issue No.127 of the mag.

Ah, I thought this was an online column, and also that it was in response to the idea of a Drizzt movie.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  17:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Thinking about the matter, Ghostwalker have everything to became a movie. Good action scenes, good trama, some mysteries, preety women, and a darned good hero, too.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  17:25:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Thinking about the matter, Ghostwalker have everything to became a movie. Good action scenes, good trama, some mysteries, preety women, and a darned good hero, too.

So does Azure Bonds or Elfshadow... But I've seen enough Hollywood manglings to not want to see one of my fave books ruined in the process of putting it on the big screen.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  19:34:21  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

I still maintain that a Drizzt movie is a bad idea, since you can't showcase what makes him unique without showing his backstory, and that will invite charges of racism.

Sure you can, the movie can open with a 5 minute scene of young Drizzt being tutored and mocked by his sister, alla Homelands.

What amuses me is that the Realms of Crystal Shard won't exist anymore if it ever becomes a movie. I can't think of a better way to confuse any fans such a movie might bring in.

"Hi there. You know all the stuff you liked, well it all took place 100 year before those two $35 books (FRCG & PHB) you just bought. Sorry there's no support for playing in that timeline."

quote:

quote:

So does Azure Bonds or Elfshadow... But I've seen enough Hollywood manglings to not want to see one of my fave books ruined in the process of putting it on the big screen.

I would love an Elfshadow movie. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 Mar 2008 19:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  19:52:54  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
You know...what's really silly about a Drizzt movie or even an Elfshadow movie:

if it were a success, people would wanna read the novels and PLAY in the time when the story/movie takes place and be part of this wonderful world...and they can't (if they are new to the game etc) because THE FRACKING IDIOTS MOVED THE TIMELINE AHEAD AND DESTROYED EVERY GODDAMNED OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE PEOPLE WHO ENJOYED STUFF OF THE OLD AGE PLAY IN THAT AGE, unless they hit Realms-reboot and Elminster steps outa the shower...

Sorry for the caps, but it felt like something that needed to be set in caps.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  20:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Now I see a dwarf speaking.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  20:56:16  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

If set within the new 4th Ed. Realms and most likely with Drizzt I rather have no FR movie at all.

Than again, the Eberron setting can have movie of similar take and quality as last D&D movie, for all that I care..........

I'm with you Ergdush...Who cares about Eberron...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  20:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

which D&D movie do you mean, mate? There were two, and the second sucked about as much as Conan the Destroyer, whereas the first one (and I am very ashamed of saying that I went to see that load of crap in a theater) made Red Sonja look like a glorious revolution of fantasy films

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  22:00:11  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message
I also saw the first D&D movie in a theater!! It was a terrible experience...But here in Greece the cinemas didn't play the second movie (which is much better than the first)..I bought it from a dvd club...

HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

SiCK_Boy
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  22:07:32  Show Profile Send SiCK_Boy a Private Message
quote:
What amuses me is that the Realms of Crystal Shard won't exist anymore if it ever becomes a movie. I can't think of a better way to confuse any fans such a movie might bring in.

The story from The Lord of the Ring is also happening in a timeframe that is gone... yet it doesn't prevent the story from being enjoyable.

The first Harry Potter is set in a timeframe that is gone by. Does the story sucks for that reason?

We are talking about a fantasy setting. It exists in whatever timeframe people choose to see it.

Are products like the Arcane Age books and boxed set for FR useless because the time period is over?

A good story is a good story. Period. I think The Crystal Shard has all the elements to make a great movie, and I don't think it would be much of a problem to introduce Drizzt. Remember that is was written before the Dark Elf trilogy. People originaly reading The Crystal Shard had no idea of the past of Drizzt Do'Urden. He just was part of the adventure. As long as you can translate the idea that drow elves are creatures of the night and feared by most races, the story could hold on pretty well.

If they try making a movie based on FR, I hope it'll be taken from a novel.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  22:55:47  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
You are missing the point here.

If someone who saw Crystal Shard, the movie, and then read the books, and then became all hyped about this thing called D&D and Forgotten Realms, a game where he thinks he can meet Wulfgar, Bruenor, Cattie-Bree and so on, then picks up the FRCG and sees that of the heroes of the hall only one person, Drizzt, is still alive and what he has come to love about the story is gone...

Oh, and why is the LotR timeframe gone? In ICE's MERP/Rolemaster system you could play at any time, way before the 2nd Ring-War, during the war and after the war. It was/is the bleedin' world that matters, and MiddleEarth is CONSISTENT.

LotR and Harry Potter are really silly examples for an attempt to make a point, Sick_boy, cuz they merely present a story-arc, and are not meant as a marketing ploy to draw more people into buying your stuff. Tolkien wanted to write an epic myth, Rowlin a story for children that has a clear beginning, middle part and an end.

WotC puts so much stock in their flagship for D&D, Drizzt, and at the same moment smash a hole into the hull because what they wanna sell, aside from more Drizzt novels, is D&D to new and old folk, and instead of using the vehicle that Drizzt is in a, one might say, sane way, they just prepare for shipwreck

too tired to type, good night

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  23:13:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
I may regret what I'm about to say, but...

"The Crystal Shard" would be a good movie title. The book could have stood alone with never another addition all by itself and still been a good book forever (say if RAS died or something) with no need to explain Drizzt's background. So the movie too would probably do well.

We live in a day and age when books are adapted into movies and do very well. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy of movies was, IMHO, a bigger draw to people finally to get into the books than any amount of talk about the books ever were. If it weren't for Peter Jackson and Co., my wife wouldn't have gotten into Everquest and played Dungeons and Dragons with me...and now play LOTR Online. Even though the LOTR movies were in places so far a stretch from the books it made people twinge...guess what they said anyway: "It was a REALLY good movie!"

I say give it a chance. I don't think they will push the name "Dungeons and Dragons" with this one though guys. That is what made the other movies flop...targetting a small part of culture over all. Just as Peter Jackson didn't target only bookish people, if the folks talking about The Crystal Shard have any sense at all, the name Dungeons and Dragons or even Forgotten Realms will be nowhere NEAR the title of the movie. They should just call it "The Crystal Shard" or some such and leave out anything to do with a game.

Just my take.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

SiCK_Boy
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  23:35:41  Show Profile Send SiCK_Boy a Private Message
Mace: is there anywhere a rule that prevents anyone from playing in the days and times of the Crystal Shard?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  01:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I'd rather have an FR movie be about The Crystal Shard than anything having to do with the 4E Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  04:54:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiCK_Boy

Mace: is there anywhere a rule that prevents anyone from playing in the days and times of the Crystal Shard?

*sigh* You're still missing the point. If this movie is made, and people decide they wish to play in that timeframe, they will have to turn to aftermarket sources to find the appropriate material. The average newbie isn't going to spend time and money tracking down out of print material.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  05:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
If we absolutely must have a Realms movie made, I too would rather it be set in the pre-spellplague Realms. Yes, I do agree that it would confuse anyone who saw it wanted to play in it and then found out that the time frame and geo-political landscape of the Realms has drastically shifted in some ways and that most of the characters they fell in love with on the big screen are now dead. On the other hand, WotC need only look so far as their boardrooms for blame in that area :-P

At this point though, I'd almost rather see an Eberron film than a Realms film though. I feel that the steam punk feel of Eberron would be easier to translate to film than the high fantasy of the Realms and you don't have the baggage and obligations that come with flagship characters (like a certain Drow ranger).
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  07:41:35  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Rouse himself seems to be leaning towards a movie based off of R.A. Salvatore's character Drizzt, most likely focusing around the events of the popular book, "The Crystal Shard."
Then Rouse really needs to have his head examined! Seriously. I cannot believe (or accept) this garbage.

How can Rouse think, just for one second, of deciding to focus on a "Drizzt-themed" FR feature film based on THE CRYSTAL SHARD before anything else that's made the Realms what it is today. To ignore so much of Ed Greenwood's enduring fantasy legacy, and just to peddle to the needs of drow fanboys everywhere, is an insult of the highest order.

Any Realms feature film should focus on the core Realms first and foremost. It is the FORGOTTEN REALMS campaign setting after all, not the "FORGOTTEN REALMS: Featuring Drizzt Do'Urden."

I mean, really, just when is this obsession with the dark elf going to end?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Edited by - D-brane on 03 Mar 2008 07:42:46
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  09:57:10  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message
I would like to see a GOOD movie (not like the previous D&D movies) based on the Homeland book of Salvatore..
I think that the atmosphere and the intrigue of Menzoberranzan in this book would make a great movie...

HE DECAPITATES!!!

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 03 Mar 2008 09:57:47
Go to Top of Page

SiCK_Boy
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  12:11:26  Show Profile Send SiCK_Boy a Private Message
I got his point... I just saw it as another useless attack on the new FR... Since when do people worry about the existence of a sourcebook when they go see and enjoy a movie?

I mean, if they do a movie, I hope they'll do it for the sake of the movie. Not to sell more DnD products. And their main worry should be to make a good script and pick up the best actors/director for it... not the reaction of people when they discover that no book exists telling them specificaly how to play a roleplaying game in that movie's universe.

I agree with Dalor Darden's view on that point. Make it a movie. Not a DnD or FR movie.

The Crystal Shard was one of the first novels set in the FR. It's as important a story to the making of the Realms as Spellfire was...

Although Spellfire would make an interesting choice. The Darkwalker on Moonshae too (a bit conventional, particularly after seeing the Lord of the Rings). Even the Heroes of Phlan trilogy could work.

As for the making of any Underdark movie, that would really be hard. Apart from the dilemma of showing infravision as heat-based (pre-3rd edition) or just like normal vision, it would be real hard, I think, to convey a true sense of the darkness and weight of the world one gets in the Underdark.

Another possibility that could be very interesting would be an animated movie, wether it be cartoon or computer-generated. I always loved that old LotR cartoon...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000