Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide Cover
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  16:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Lookie here.

Yep. That's who you think it is on the front cover. *sigh*

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  17:12:45  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice picture...but Drizzt is way overdone...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  18:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the 3e cover, which makes it look like and ancient tome of arcane things (IMO).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  19:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

Yeah. But like I said on the WotC boards, imagining Drizzt on every FR cover from now on (for the sake of sales) is great for a laugh.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  19:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, he's good enough for LuFisto.

"We're not planning a campaign of wanton NPC slaughter, but I sure need to show the broader gaming audience that it's time to let go of that perception."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  20:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! A drow in the FRCG, and a tiefling in the PHB?

Why not a Yugoloth in some new cover???

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  20:41:41  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I prefer the 3e cover, which makes it look like and ancient tome of arcane things (IMO).

Likewise

Aside from the picture on the cover, personally I don't like the graphical style of any of the new covers that I've seen. Just doesn't grab me.

Edited by - arry on 12 Dec 2007 20:44:41
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  22:50:51  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

Drizzt is overdone? Surely you jest.

Why, I'm shocked that the title itself wasn't changed to, oh . . . . I don't know, something like "Drizzt Do'Urden's Campaign Guide to the Realms."

I mean, why even pretend anymore?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Edited by - D-brane on 12 Dec 2007 22:51:43
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  02:50:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

Drizzt is overdone? Surely you jest.

Why, I'm shocked that the title itself wasn't changed to, oh . . . . I don't know, something like "Drizzt Do'Urden's Campaign Guide to the Realms."

I mean, why even pretend anymore?

Cough, they did that alrdy with Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark from 2e. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  03:53:06  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the cover does not look that bad actually. I don't like the white stripe with the huge D&D logo though. It seems like they are trying to ensure that everyone knows it is still D&D, come and check it out type statement.

Tone that down and I could even deal with the newest iconic character being on the cover instead of Elminster .
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  06:00:04  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of like turning on the porch light to a burning house...

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  06:34:09  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

the cover does not look that bad actually. I don't like the white stripe with the huge D&D logo though. It seems like they are trying to ensure that everyone knows it is still D&D, come and check it out type statement.

Yeah, that's clearly the idea. If it helps to get more new FR fans, I can accept it.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  11:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, really, enjoyed the D&D logo on the cover. Of course, it need to have the FR logo, too, and a change in the "front character".

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  13:08:32  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First I’m not in any discussions on the WotC boards Rino, so please excuse me if I have to ask this here .

Even if Drizzt is a self-selling character, how can they think that more people will buy the Campaign setting with him? If you are new to the world (and I understood that they are aiming on the new buyers), wouldn’t a dragon or a beholder or whatever turn more heads?
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  13:32:03  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I wonder how long it will be before we are all treading the illustrious 'Halls of Candlekeep--Personal Book Repository of Drizzt Do'Urden'...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  15:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

First I’m not in any discussions on the WotC boards Rino, so please excuse me if I have to ask this here .

That's fine!

quote:
Even if Drizzt is a self-selling character, how can they think that more people will buy the Campaign setting with him? If you are new to the world (and I understood that they are aiming on the new buyers), wouldn’t a dragon or a beholder or whatever turn more heads?

Good question. Rich said that Drizzt on the cover is all about taking advantage of the character's popularity (as he rightly said, the Drizzt Books are bestsellers).

Another question I'm wondering about is this: If it's true that Drizzt will cause more books to be sold, then why not just put him on every FR cover from now on?

I saw a really funny (sarcastic) comment about the Drizzt cover on EnWorld, to the effect of: "Now you can play as Drizzt and his friends in the world of the Icewind Dale trilogy!"

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  16:55:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for everyone:

Why do so many people have a problem with Drizzt? Personally, I don't think he is the end all/be all of FR characters; but is it because he is a Drow?

I mean, did anyone have a problem with Elminster being the "Cover Guy" for the FR?

Are we being racist toward the Dark Elves?

What if Drizzt had been an Orc that became so popular?

I think it is truly ironic that Drizzt has gained the popularity he has...he was initially intended to be simply a background character for Wulfgar after all.

I mean, Drizzt is obviously popular...so why do so many folks have a hard time with him?

Being from an area in the U.S. where racism still runs rampant at times, I have actually heard from people that Drizzt is just a (insert racial slur for Black Americans here) and should be hung.

For me, he is cool...and if it helps that he is on the cover, then I'm all for it!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  16:59:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on the cover...

Red catches the eye...they are just using basic impulse influencing marketing here...

The picture of Drizzt...I think they should back him up a little, and have him facing off against a badguy...that way they are showing what the FR is all about: Heroic characters fighting badguys and getting the loot!

One of the most popular covers in the history of D&D (and still one of my favorites of all time!) was the Basic D&D Red Box! I mean, lots of red to catch the eye, and then some hero getting ready to battle a monster of a Red Dragon...

Awesome cover.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  18:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of us here (that I know of) have no problem with Drizzt as a character, just with the fact that he might be made out to be the be-all end-all centerpiece of the setting (I say "might" because this might not be the final cover).

That being said, that doesn't mean people are OK with Elminster or any other single character being the centerpiece of the setting, either. At least, I'm not.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  19:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Most of us here (that I know of) have no problem with Drizzt as a character, just with the fact that he might be made out to be the be-all end-all centerpiece of the setting (I say "might" because this might not be the final cover).

That being said, that doesn't mean people are OK with Elminster or any other single character being the centerpiece of the setting, either. At least, I'm not.

I totally agree with RF. As I stated before, I really liked the 3e FRCS cover which made it look like an ancient tome of arcane stuff.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  20:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update--Rich Baker has confirmed that the cover will not feature Drizzt:

quote:
Sigh. It turns out I've got to eat some crow.

The Drizzt piece is a placeholder for the catalog, we've actually got new art commissioned. It shows a shade knight flying on a wicked-looking dragon, wheeling over the towers of a dark fortress. Very nice piece.

My bad.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  21:06:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shade Knight??? <sigh> I thought, perhaps, that the Shades would not be so prominent...

I mean...Shades to me are like Liches: Rare and powerful...but seldom seen; and especially not seen in great numbers! Its what made me feel special when my own wizard became a shade.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  21:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden
Shade Knight??? <sigh> I thought, perhaps, that the Shades would not be so prominent...

I know, and I would have preferred something more "heroic" myself. But I've complained enough about covers, so I'll stop now.

Go to Top of Page

BlackMoria
Acolyte

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  22:21:30  Show Profile  Visit BlackMoria's Homepage Send BlackMoria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not surprised by the description of the new cover.

It is mentioned by Drizzt in the prologue of the Orc King of 'the rise of the empire of Netheril'.

And the biggest group of Netherese in the Realms is the ex-pat Netherese from the plane of shades. So, it would seem that they captalize on the Spellplague and carve out a empire, I would hazard as a guess, which makes the new cover make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  06:03:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the new cover sounds OK to me. And thankfully a bitt quieter than the action scenes used on to many covers before. I doubt it will measure up against the Grey box cover, but thats subjektive of course.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  19:06:19  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's good ...but It could be better..
from the other frontcovers of the core rulebooks of 4th edition i think they want the books to seem like the 2nd edtion...that's a good point...i disliked the covers of the rulebooks in 3d edition...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  20:48:00  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are we being racist toward the Dark Elves?

Well, I know I am. But then again, I'm also prejudiced towards Orcs, Vampires, and Aarakocras.

In all seriousness, though, I'm fine with the character. What I don't care for are all the Drizzt fanboys. He was supposed to be a weird exception to the rule about Drow being universally evil. Then Drizzt appears on the scene, and all of a sudden you've got good drow crawling out of the woodwork. Worst is the good Drow RANGERS, some of whom wield two scimitars, and even worship Mielikki! I knew a player who copied Drizzt in every detail, even down to having a panther running around with him. Another player created a clone of Drizzt, before he started to tweak the character in all kinds of munchkin ways (His dual scimitar wielding Drow Ranger ended up morphing into a dual katana wielding Wood Elf Fighter/Thief). So in short, up with Drizzt, down with Drizzt fanboys.

- Venger (Who once, without provocation, lobbed a fireball into the middle of a tavern because it happened to be packed full of orcs)

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."

Edited by - Venger on 24 Dec 2007 20:49:24
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2007 :  22:12:04  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate that Drizzt is considered a selling point of the Realms. There are A LOT of people that read RA Salvatore's novels that don't play Dungeons & Dragons (or did and just don't anymore.)

If you ask me, Drizzt is the butt of more jokes and scorn then the Chosen.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2007 :  00:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

If you ask me, Drizzt is the butt of more jokes and scorn then the Chosen.

Right, and if he wasn't enough of a hot seller, Drizzt might well have been killed off too, who knows?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2007 :  23:10:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least the cover is not some trumped up, bathed and stuffed into human clothing, Orc King.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Xandos Anskul
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  02:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Xandos Anskul's Homepage Send Xandos Anskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well technically the Empire of Netheril is already reborn. GHotR explicitly states "The Empire of Netheril is reborn" in the same bit in 1374 where the Shades re-raise the enclave of Sakkors. Since the current year is 1375...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000