Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  01:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Erm... undead chicks just aren't as hot as living chicks though, Erik.

You've obviously never met ___(ahem)___

I was just keeping the field wide open. I hope someday to unveil Twilight's status/fate.

quote:
Any song that references collectible busts of Cthulu is a great song in my book.

Heh.

"Uh oh--saving throw!"

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:21:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Indeed--and let's not forget that Erevan, like all gods, has an ego. And--again, like all gods--his ego is GOD-LIKE.

I don't envision Erevan as being much inclined to self-doubt or questioning. He's always doing the right thing, whether or not he even knows why he's doing it.

So there IS a clever plan for Twilight . . . whether Erevan really has it all articulated or not. Details.

Cheers

Of course, the intriguing thing here, is that Erevan's apparent penchant for whimsy may be his way of hiding some secret discomfort he feels over not always knowing how things will turn out. Maybe that's what Twilight's for. A kind of "divine anchor" of sorts, that keeps Erevan's long term goals focused on one particular path no matter how far they may sometimes stray.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:22:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh.

Obvious lies, subtle lies, white lies, half-truths, and full truths that only SOUND like unbelievable lies. And just when you think you've figured something out, she yanks the rug out from under you.

That's her defense mechanism. You stay off-balance--she stays in control.

She's the kind of person that keeps you from ever really knowing where you stand with her.

Cheers

And it keeps most of the world distant from her, for the most part. As we've seen in Depths of Madness, Twilight is very good at building imaginary walls around herself that not only keeps her from forming plenty of emotional ties with others, but also keeps the rest of the Realms one-step away from her fragile "inner world."

Hmmm... maybe fragile is too strong a description for some of the inner turmoil Twilight sometimes faces, or has been hinted at through TGT and DoM. But, as Erik said above, she likes to remain in control when dealing with others. So perhaps that sense of control somehow makes her own insecurities about herself and the world somewhat easier to handle and/or ignore.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:23:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm . . . that is a possibility. Not all the exarchs were listed in the FRCG, I don't think--Auril's exarch, for instance, which appeared in an article not far back . . .

Makes you wonder what Twilight's been up to the last hundred years.

Cheers

Well, we've talked about what may be Twilight's unique status with respect to Erevan. At most, I think we've all said that we prefer the notion to be left as vague as possible. But I wouldn't mind seeing how she's lived with her power and relationship with Erevan over the last near-hundred years.

Has their relationship been strained? Probably, since both Erevan and Twilight aren't exactly the easiest people to get along with. Did the Spellplague cause any problems with respect to Erevan's plans? Something we don't know yet. What about Twilight's future as part of those plans? Did the Spellplague force Erevan to re-direct/re-affirm his goals? And a more important question, was Twilight as accomodating to these changes when Erevan was *forced* to make them?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:47:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erm... undead chicks just aren't as hot as living chicks though, Erik.
Bah! The Lady Kazandra [the RAVENLOFT version that is] is as "hot" a near-undead "chick" as you can get.
quote:
Any song that references collectible busts of Cthulu is a great song in my book.
While we're on the subject of "Cthulhu-related" music...

There was a soundtrack [there are free MP3 samples available through the link] developed for the Call of Cthulhu silent film produced by the HP Lovecraft Historical Society. It is suitably Lovecraftian in tone [and atmosphere].

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  15:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hypothetically, anyway. We're just discussing the various possibilities . . .

And "alive" is such a . . . strong word.

Heh--I think I prefer it all as a mystery for now.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  20:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't help but wonder what would ensue if Twilight and Elminster crossed paths... Well, if Ed's writing the encounter, I'm sure it would result in the Old Sage getting laid, so I guess I wonder what that would be like if Erik wrote it.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  21:10:39  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do hope there is more of Twilight soon. And some of her friends from Depths

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  22:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Heh--I think I prefer it all as a mystery for now.

Believe me, 'Lyrna, that's no problem.

quote:

I can't help but wonder what would ensue if Twilight and Elminster crossed paths...

Hmm, intriguing. Well, there *is* an apocryphal story . . .

quote:
Well, if Ed's writing the encounter, I'm sure it would result in the Old Sage getting laid, so I guess I wonder what that would be like if Erik wrote it.

Who says it would be any different? [meow!]

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I do hope there is more of Twilight soon. And some of her friends from Depths

Didn't most of her friends from Depths, er . . . [Just say no to spoilers!]

I guess we'll see. The only unreleased novel I have in contract with WotC *at the moment* is Downshadow, which is due out in April. Currently doing the final check on the galley copy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  22:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, currently you keep posting here and procrastinating on your work. *remembers he should be editing episode 29 of his own machinima right now too* Er, I mean, you're taking time to stay in contact with your fans, which is something we all admire and appreciate. *slowly backs out of the room*

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  01:28:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't most of her friends from Depths, er . . . [Just say no to spoilers!]
I know there's one *former* friend of Twilight we're probably all interested in seeing again. *hint, hint*

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  02:20:56  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
*hint, hint*

And because it deserves to be said... nudge nudge, say no more, know wot I mean, eh guv'? 'E said knowingly. Nods as good as a wink to a blind bat. Eh? Eh? Knowing looks and glances.

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  06:34:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rogue 10/ master infiltrator 10
or
Swordmage 10/wanderering swordmage 10?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  18:15:02  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is such an awesome thread my friends! The Trickster Touched Template is splendid and well thought out. As you all know fairly well, Erevan Ilesere is my favorite deity in all the realms!! Twilight is one of my favorite NPC's if not the down right #1 on my list.

I see Twilight and Elaith having some wicked adventures together, and always wondered if Elaith has even received the calling of Erevan, as he is nothing short of a magic bag of tricks and a master scoundrel to boot!

Anyway, thought I'd post this PRC here as a companion to the Trickster Touched template. Hope you enjoy.

The Mischiefmaker

(specialty cleric of Erevan Ilesere)

The Mischiefmaker represents all that is chaotic and free. They bring change and excitement where ever they go be it for good or ill. They live on the edge in a constant state of self-reinvention. They thrive to puncture the self-righteousness, sanctimony, and pretension that pervades orderly society with mischievous pranks that both amuse and enlighten. They enjoy causing trouble for its own sake and have the ability to take care of themselves should a prank prove to be deadly or go awry. Most Mischiefmakers are Moon or Copper elves, but even Gold, Wild and Star elves take this class when the call of Erevan sings strongly in their hearts. Most Mischiefmakers are famous or infamous Rogue/Clerics in the favor of Erevan Ilesere and serve as his mortal right-hand. They are deadly-romantic in their charm and subtlety of skill. Brave and yet flighty. They are champions of trickery and modest in ability. To underestimate a Mischiefmaker is to court the surety of becoming the victim to an amusing, well thought, elaborate hoax that could end up costing you and being at your cost.

Hit Die: d6.

Requirements: To qualify to become a Mischiefmaker, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Character must be a Elf or Half Elf.

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, Disguise 10 ranks, Disable device 10 ranks, Bluff 10 ranks, Hide 8 ranks, Move silently 6 ranks, sleight of hand 5 ranks.

Feats: Stealthy, Lucky fingers, Tempting Fate.

Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3'rd level Divine spells. Must have either the chaos, trickery or luck domain.

Special: +3d6 Sneak attack ability. Must have Erevan Ilesere as a Patron Deity.

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Disable Device, Escape artist, Heal, Hide, Intuit direction, Jump, Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move silently, Open lock, Sleight of hand, Profession, Search, Spot, Tumble, Use magic device, Use rope, Wilderness lore .

Skill points at each level- 6 + Int mod.

Class Features:

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Mischiefmaker's gain no proficiency with small or light weapons.

Spells per day: A Mischiefmaker's training focuses on divine magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level of MP, she gains new spells per day as if she also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Mock Law: At 1'st level the MM gains a +2 divine bonus on saving throws against any spell with the law descriptor, as well as the spell-like or supernatural abilities of outsiders. In addition the MM also gains a +2 divine bonus to the DC of all spells he casts with the chaos and trickery descriptor.

Improved pass without trace: At 1'st level the MM can use Pass without Trace as a spell-like ability twice per day. In addition, if a spellcaster attempts to track or locate the MM by magical means while this ability is in use, then they suffer a -2 penalty to their spells DC.

Alter appearance: At 2'nd level the MM can use Alter Self as a spell like ability twice per day.

Knock: at 2'nd level the MM can use Knock as a spell like ability twice per day.

Thwart magic trap: At 3'rd level the MM gains a +4 bonus on all Disable device and search checks made to locate, bypass or disable magic traps.

Sneak Attack (su): At 3'rd level the MM gains the sneak attack rogue ability. +1d6 dmg.

Mislead (sp): At 4'th level the MM gains Mislead as a spell-like ability twice per day. In addition, any Will save to disbelieve the figment double is made at a -2 penalty.

Polymorph other (sp): At 4'th level the MM gains Polymorph other as a spell-like ability twice per day.

Cloak of Chaos: At 5'th level the MM gains cloak of chaos as a spell like ability twice per day. In addition, all opponents suffer a -2 penalty to their Will saves against the Confusion effects.

Faerie Form: at 5'th level the MM may assume the form of any type of faerie, brownie, or sprite (including atomies, brambles, dobies, faerie fiddlers, gorse, grigs, killmoulis, nixies, pixies, quicklings, sea sprites, squeakers, and other similiar fey creatures). The MM adopts the form of the creature, gaining all of that forms abilities. The MM also adopts all that forms weaknesses as well. The MM can change form as many times as desired, within the duration of the spell. The MM may turn into a sprite and fly away and then turn into a nixie and dive into a lake. The first form adopted has one-quarter of the hit points of the MM. Subsequent forms carry the current total hit points with them until the original form is resumed. Each alteration in form takes only 1 second. This ability can be used twice a day, and lasts as many rounds equal to your total character level + your Wisdom modifier. This ability is a standard action.

(All spell-like abilities are cast at total character caster level)

CL-BAB-FS-RS-WS-Special- Spells per day

1'st-+0-+0-+2-+2-- Mock Law, Pass without trace- +1level

2'nd-+1-+0-+3-+3-Alter appearance, Knock -+1level

3'rd-+2-+1-+3-+3-Thwart magic trap, Sneak attack -+1level

4'th-+3-+1-+4-+4-Mislead, Polymorph other -+1level

5'th-+3-+1-+4-+4-Cloak of chaos, Faerie form-+1level

Any and all comments are welcomed. Thanks! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  18:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a pretty rockin' PrC you've got there, GEV--though I would be inclined to point out that requiring a character to have 3rd level divine spells and +3d6 sneak attack means you're looking at at least an 10th level character before the PrC (cleric 5/rogue 5 at minimum), and that's way farther than most specialty priest PrCs go. I think I once managed to get a character into Auspician at 5th level (i.e., cleric 3/rogue 1/auspician 1) but most specialty priest PrCs are set to start at the character's sixth or seventh level, not 11th!

I would recommend lightening the prereqs to 2nd level divine spells and sneak attack +2d6 (so you get a cleric 3/rogue 3, if you want a straight mix) or 3rd level divine spells and sneak attack (of any kind), which nets you a cleric 5/rogue 1, which makes your PrC more of a "cleric with some roguish talents."

And it's good to see you after so long! How ya been?

I suspect you may be onto something with Twilight and Elaith--he is quite a bit older and more mature than she is, but we all know she likes older guys (well, just about anybody, actually). He could teach her some really wicked stuff, and she might show him a thing or three about crushing hearts and taking names.

This is one such meeting I would be quite pleased to write about in a lore article, but as Elaith is Ed-designed and Elaine-perfected, I wouldn't dream of doing it alone. Suffice it to say, rumors of tempestuous love affairs abound . . . but no proof either way to be found.

This would go up there in the "meetings that would be very amusing" category with "Liriel + Drizzt" (one of my favorite bits of Elaine Cunningham humor concerns just that fabled interaction): http://www.elainecunningham.com/new_page_2.htm

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 09 Dec 2008 15:37:27
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  09:38:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so Erik, do you have that new martial powers book yet??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 09 Dec 2008 09:38:43
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  14:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. Hopefully soon!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  20:49:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope. Hopefully soon!

Cheers

the aerialist rogue has twilight all over it.

the Fox at Twilght my updated oppinion
Aerialist rogue 10/master infiltrator 10/ dark wander 5

(i hate the chosen epic path, demi god is betterand i hate the word epic too)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  21:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

the aerialist rogue has twilight all over it.

Mmm, sounds messy. (G'night, everybody!)

quote:
the Fox at Twilght my updated oppinion
Aerialist rogue 10/master infiltrator 10/ dark wander 5

Hrm. I'll have to check out that book, indeed! Is it out on the shelves?

Is "Aerialist Rogue" some sort of alternate rogue path? Pardon my ignorance, being not at all familiar with the mechanics. Aerialist sounds like some sort of acrobat to me, and Twilight is a good tumbler, so I tentatively approve.

In some ways, rogue makes MORE sense as a build for her in 4e than it did in 3.5e. (I'm thinking mostly of the charisma-based Trickster Rogue powers, and because you're more of a quick-and-dirty fighter than a skulking sneak thief.)

quote:
i hate the chosen epic path, demi god is better

Speaking mechanically or flavorfully? (real word . . . I swear!)

I'm pretty sure demi-god would NOT fit with Twilight. She is just NOT demi-god material . . . at least not yet. But then, who knows? We haven't seen her nearly in epic levels, so we don't know her ultimate destiny (presuming she didn't get murdalized/mutated in the Spellplague, of course).

I actually rather like the Chosen Epic Destiny (at least in concept), and some of those abilities are ones I would certainly enjoy for my character. The path reminds me of a heirophant/divine disciple/divine champion sort of PrC (from the 3.5 PGtF). Whether that fits with Twilight . . . who knows?

I wonder what power a chosen of Erevan would get . . . can Exarchs even have Chosen? Or would Twilight be a chosen of Corellon (Erevan's master)?

Hmm.

Say you could be a chosen of an exarch . . . what would those powers be? What would Erevan's chosen power be?

Cheers

P.S. Off-topic, but I rather like the concept of the "Eternal Hero," which was briefly noted in the 3.5e epic destinies article: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428

Twilight isn't an eternal hero, though--if she had a 3.5 epic destiny, it would be as a mythic shadow (booyah!).

P.S.S.
quote:
i hate the word epic

As in, you hate *the word itself*, or you hate *the way D&D uses it*?

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  22:57:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder what power a chosen of Erevan would get . . . can Exarchs even have Chosen? Or would Twilight be a chosen of Corellon (Erevan's master)?

Hmm.

Say you could be a chosen of an exarch . . . what would those powers be? What would Erevan's chosen power be?
I don't think this has been specifically defined, as such. We do know that a Chosen may ascend to the position of an Exarch and that creating new Chosen is still possible, and they don't necessarily have to be an Exarch. As to whether they can serve an Exarch... I don't think we've seen much on that.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  02:15:21  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a chosen of Erevan Ilesere I created quite a while ago. Some say it's awesome, others say it's over powered. Me personally, I think it's fine right where it is, lol. Enjoy...

Chosen of Erevan Ilesere

Also known as The laughing Knave

its a template that can be added to any Elf, Half Elf, or Fey creature. A Chosen of Erevan uses the character's statistics and special abilities except as noted below.

Erevans Oath: Chosen of Erevan must be Wild and unruly, mischievous, independent, and utterly unpredictable! They play tricks on others for the sheer joy it gives them. They oppose settled interests of every sort and delight in upsetting both the rule of law & powerful people, and in basically creating mayhem in any shape, form or way possible. They have little to do in formal duties, and minister to the faithful primarily through example, and promoting the skills required to be a mischievous rogue. The chosen MUST seek out a powerful lawful person or creature once a month and cause as much mayhem and chaos as she can in that time before moving on to the next person or creature. Failure to do this results in the loss of her chosen status.

BONUS SPELLS (Sp): Constant~~ Protection from Law, False vision, Know protections. At will~~ Invisibility, Ventriloquism, Change self. 5/day:~~ Cats grace, Mislead. 3/day~~ Word of Chaos, Animate Object. 1/day~~ Timestop, Cloak of chaos.

Erevans Resistance(sp): The chosen has a constant spell resistance 11 + character level vs. spells with the law descriptor or spells cast by lawful creatures.

Smiling entry(Su): The chosen may step through any magical barrier of 7th level or lower as if it didn't exist.

Mocking Laughter(Su): The chosen gains damage reduction 5/+3 against any one that she can make laugh. The target may make a wis. check vs. your Cha. check to see if you make them laugh. If you succeed in making them laugh they cannot harm you as effectively. You disregard 5 points of damage from weapons of +3 enhancement bonus or less a round. This ability may be used at will.

Spell Immunity (Su): The chosen is immune to all these spells as if she were constantly protected by a spell immunity spell.
*Cause fear
*Tasha's Hideous Laughter
*Hold person
*Orders wrath
*Dispel chaos
*Disintegrate
*Dictum
*Binding
*Power word: Kill

Immunities (Ex): The Chosen of Erevan are immune to aging effects and do not physically age. They also are immune to pranks, tricks or mischief caused by any person or creature with less than 12 hit die that cause damage mentally or physicaly.

Polymorph Aura(sp): The chosen may use this ability one time a day. This ability wreathes you in thin, whispy shimmering light, and polymorphs any creature who attacks you in melee. Any creature striking you with its body or handheld weapon deals normal damage, but is polymorphed randomly upon contact. If a creature has spell resistance it applies to the effect. It lasts 1 round per character level. A successful Fort. save (DC22) negates the effect.

Detect Fey(Su): The chosen can detect fey creatures in a line of sight range at will.

Chaotic Ally (Sp): The Chosen has two options to choose from when summoning. She may summon 1 Ghaele Eladrin one time a day. The second option is that she can summon 1 9HD Nymph twice a week. On becoming a chosen of Erevan you must decide which of the two you will keep to use.

Fury of the Fey (Su): This ability works the same as a Mirror Image spell cast by a sorcerer of 20'th level, except that when an image of the chosen is struck, that image turns into a furious Pixie with all its natural abilities attacking the creature who struck the image for a duration of 3 rounds, or untill the creature or the Pixie is slain. This ability is the result of an ancient pact between Erevan Ilesere and the Pixies. Exactly where the Pixies come from, no one knows. The Pixies of Evermeet say that the summoned pixies do not come from their number, nor is there any evidence that the pixies are summoned or teleported from anywhere on Toril. Most believe that the pixies are actually the spirits of slain pixie warriors who died in service to the Seldarine in ages past. This ability can be used once a day.

Saves: The character adds + 2 as a bonus to all saving throws.

Abilities: Increase from the character as follows: Dexterity
+8, Charisma +4.

Skills: Bluff, Disguise, Hide, and Move silently are class skills, regardless of the character's class.

Feats: (You gain these feats automaticly without meeting their prerequisites) Goad, Alluring, Daring outlaw, and Charlatan.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the character.
Organization: Same as the character, But must be a devoted follower of Erevan Ilesere.
Challenge Rating: Same as the character +5.
Alignment: CG, CN,
Treasure: Same as the character.
Advancement: Same as the charactern
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  08:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I'll have to look that over in more detail when I get more time.

I was asking more in the context of 4e. The chosen is an epic destiny in 4e, much like demigod or archmage or the like--a "path" that you select starting at 21st level.

I think Erevan's Chosen power would be some sort of free action/liberating effect, possibly coupled with an illusion? Think of the mislead spell, which leaves an illusion of you and makes you invisible.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  09:53:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes its out.
rogue starts out on page 70 with aerialist rogue an cuthroat as rogue builds( on a side note i am so glad i each class build states : suggested class power)

goes back and looks at both epic destinies.....

egads they are the same, save the demi god regenerates and the chosen gains power X and doesnt regenerate.

just dont get me started on archmage...

pss i hate how dnd uses the word, legendary would of been better

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20081027a

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  04:56:01  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a pretty rockin' PrC you've got there, GEV--though I would be inclined to point out that requiring a character to have 3rd level divine spells and +3d6 sneak attack means you're looking at at least an 10th level character before the PrC (cleric 5/rogue 5 at minimum), and that's way farther than most specialty priest PrCs go. I think I once managed to get a character into Auspician at 5th level (i.e., cleric 3/rogue 1/auspician 1) but most specialty priest PrCs are set to start at the character's sixth or seventh level, not 11th!

I would recommend lightening the prereqs to 2nd level divine spells and sneak attack +2d6 (so you get a cleric 3/rogue 3, if you want a straight mix) or 3rd level divine spells and sneak attack (of any kind), which nets you a cleric 5/rogue 1, which makes your PrC more of a "cleric with some roguish talents."

And it's good to see you after so long! How ya been?

I suspect you may be onto something with Twilight and Elaith--he is quite a bit older and more mature than she is, but we all know she likes older guys (well, just about anybody, actually). He could teach her some really wicked stuff, and she might show him a thing or three about crushing hearts and taking names.

This is one such meeting I would be quite pleased to write about in a lore article, but as Elaith is Ed-designed and Elaine-perfected, I wouldn't dream of doing it alone. Suffice it to say, rumors of tempestuous love affairs abound . . . but no proof either way to be found.

This would go up there in the "meetings that would be very amusing" category with "Liriel + Drizzt" (one of my favorite bits of Elaine Cunningham humor concerns just that fabled interaction): http://www.elainecunningham.com/new_page_2.htm

Cheers

Thank you very much for the compliment on my PRC!! Coming from you, it's a rather big one. I also agree with bringing down the requirements to 3'rd level Cleric/ 3'rd level Rogue. I had them at 5/5 due to the abilities, but I guess they aren't all that powerful, or over powered for a mischiefmaker.

How have I been you ask? Busy, very busy! As a Head Chef at a four star, fine dining restaurant here in Pennsylvania, I put in about 15 to 17 hours a day, 5 days a week. Very stressful long hours = Michael drinks a lot, lol.
Outside of work I try to run, and play in our Erevan Ilesere/ Elven Rogue based campaign which I'm a complete nut for. I have several elven NPC's of Erevan that would make for a GREAT novel hook.

And yes, Twilight and Elaith would make a wicked novel together and I would suspect quite a bit of loot for WoTc. I see Elaith as CN or CE and smiled on by Erevan (whether he knows it or not, lol)

Anyway, thanks a bunch Erik. You're my favorite FR author... Keep Erevan Ilesere alive in the Realms!!!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  06:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, very little gave me more relief than opening the 4e FRCG and seeing that Erevan was still around. An excellent deity.

And if Erevan's still around . . . well, we'll see.

I wish you many wonderful adventures with Twilight, Elaith, and all the many excellent elven heroes (and dastardly villains) in the Realms.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  20:37:35  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is my longest running PC after adding the Trickster-Touched Template....

My longest running PC...

Curudin Ahmaquissar: "The Mischiefmaker of Silverymoon".

Male Trickster-Touched Moon Elf; Rogue 5/ Cleric 7/ Mischiefmaker 4/ Divine Disciple 5 of Erevan Ilesere:

CR 21; medium size humanoid (elf)(outsider- chaos);
HD 5d6+10, plus 7d8+6, plus 4d6+8, plus 5d8+10; HP 135; Init +8; Spd 30';
AC 25 (touch 18, Ff 20);
Atk +20/+15/+10 melee (1d8+6 plus 2d6 chaotic/ 17-20, +3 elven keen, chaotic longsword *Hidden Smile*),
+19/+19/+14 melee (1d6+5/17-20, +2 elven keen shortsword of speed *Little Sneak*), +18/+13/+8 ranged (1d4+6 plus 1d6 elemental/ 18-20, +3 daggers of Elemental aura);

SQ: spells, spell-like abilities, moon elf traits, rogue abilities, cleric abilities, mischiefmaker abilities, divine disciple abilities.
AL CG; SV Fort +14 (+18 versus poison), Ref +14 (+22), Wil+14;
Str 17, Dex 26, Con 13, Int 21, Wis 20, Cha 19.

Age: 102, Height: 5'10", Eyes: Blue, Hair: Short sapphire-blue & silver, Skin: Pale white with blue tints.

Spell-like abilities:
Imbue with spell ability/1'st and 2'nd level spells known
Protection from Law/(Transcendence) Free action.
Mock law, Improved pass without trace, Alter appearance, Knock, Mislead, Polymorph other/ 2x day.
Detect Law, Detect Magic/ 3x day.

Skills: Knowledge (religion)(arcana) +8/+8, Spellcraft +17, Heal +13, Bluff +16, Disable devise +15, Hide +31, Move Silent +31, Open lock +20, Listen +14, Pick pocket +18, Tumble +13, Sense motive +15, Intimidate +12, Spot +17, Search +17, Disguise +30, Balance +10, Escape artist +25, Gather info +10, Innuendo +10, Read lips +6, Use magic devise +17, Perform (buffoonery +5, dance +15, prank +20);

Skill Tricks: Acrobatic Backstab, Conceal Spellcasting, Escape Attack, False Theurgy, Hidden Blade, Quick Escape, Spot The Weak Point, Sudden Draw, Never Outnumbered, Swift Concentration, Twisted Charge, Walk The Walls, Second Impression.

Feats: TwF, Weapon focus (longsword/shortsword), Dodge, Lucky Fingers, Quick draw, Magical Fortune, Tempting Fate, Twin sword style, Freerunner (see below).

Special Qualities: Moon elf traits- immune to magic sleep spells, +2 save vs. enchantment spells, low light vision, +2 bonus on listen, search, and spot checks.
Divine Disciple abilities- New domain, Divine emissary, Sacred defense +2, Imbue with spell ability, Trancendence, Spells.
Mischiefmaker abilities- Mock law, Improved pass without trace, Alter appearance, Knock, Thwart magic trap, Sneak attack, Mislead, Polymorph other, Spells.
Rogue abilities- Trapfinding, Trap sense, Uncanny dodge, Sneak attack +4d6, Evasion.
Cleric abilities- Turn/rebuke undead, Aura, Spontaneous Casting, Spells.

Trickster Touched abilities: Resist: Trickster-touched creatures are undaunted by poison or poison traps. He gains a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saving throws against poison.

Spell-like Abilities: Trickster-touched creatures can often sense the presence of too much order and structure, as well as magical auras. He gains the ability to detect law or detect magic as the spells cast at his total character level in any combination a total of 3/day.

Abilities: Trickster-touched creatures are nimble, clever, and amiable. His abilities gain a bonus Increase as follows: Dex +6, Int +6, Cha +4.

Special Qualities: Trickster-touched creatures seem unable to keep their noses out of trouble, and thus collect stray bits of lore from wherever their adventures take them on topics as varied as local personalities, the history and powers of artifacts, and the traits of monstrous races just as a bard can with bardic knowledge. This ability functions like the bardic knowledge class feature, except that the bonus for the check equals the Trickster-touched creature’s racial bonus + her Int modifier. Trickster-touched creatures have a base +1 racial bonus to their check, which increases by +1 for every 5 HD or class levels of the base creatures. This ability stacks with a bard’s bardic knowledge and similar abilities such as a Harper agent’s Harper knowledge or a loremaster’s lore class features. (Curudin's Trickster-Touched Knowledge: +13)

Feats: Trickster-touched creatures seem to have an endless supply of tricks up their sleeves. If the base creature has 5 or more HD or levels or upon gaining 5 HD or levels, the base creature gains Cool Head CS, Freerunner CS, Sure Hand CS, or Sweet Talker CS as a bonus feat, regardless of whether or not the base creature meets the prerequisites for the feat. The base creature must still meet the prerequisites for its chosen bonus skill tricks.

Cleric Spells per day: 6/7/7/7/6/6/5/5/4. Base DC = 15 +spell level. Deity: Erevan Ilesere. Domains: Trickery, Chaos, Luck. Caster Level: 16
Current Spells: 0 level- Create water, light, read magic, detect poison, detect magic, guidance.

1st level- Divine favor, doom, entropic shield, protection from law, shield of faith, Change self, Random action, Healers vision.

2nd level- Spell shield, invisibility, Hold person, Curse of ill fortune, cure moderate wounds, Shatter, Sound burst, Manifestation of the deity.

3rd level- Searing light, bestow curse, dispel magic, nondetection, Bladebane, Negative energy protection, Magic circle against law.

4th level- Weapon of the deity, Chaos hammer, Confusion, spell immunity, Know vulnerabilities, Freedom of movement.

5th level- Flame strike, Pixie dust, Crawling darkness, Dispel Law, Teleport, False vision.

6th level-Animate objects, Mislead, Heal, Suppress glyph, Greater dispelling.

7th level - Word of chaos, Spell turning, Screen, Regenerate, Fortunate fate.

8th level - Cloak of chaos, Polymorph any object, Greater planar ally, Symbol of spell loss.

Possessions: +3 elven keen chaotic longsword (Hidden Smile), +2 elven keen shortsword of speed (Little sneak), +3 ring of protection, Ring of invisibility, Boots of elvenkind, Cloak of elvenkind, Gloves of dexterity, Amulet of natural armor +2, Vest of disguise, +2 elven Deathward studded leather armor, Four +2 daggers of Elemental Aura, Ring of disease immunity, Moonfire salve, Fanged mask, Belt of priestly might and warding, The Tricksters Lucky Dice (Treat as Rod of Wonder)

Personal Info: Curudin Ahmaquissar is the leading cleric of Erevan Ilesere in Silverymoon and Everlund and master of the secret elven Rogues guild known as "The Rogues of the Laughing Twilight" in the same cities.

He is known throughout the city as "The Mischiefmaker of Silverymoon" but none know that he is also the leader of the elven thieves guild. Curudin is extremely handsome even in the eyes of other elves. He is quick, witty, clever, charming, intelligent, alluring and has a completely chaotic disposition on life. He is a hedonist in every sense of the word and thoroughly enjoys debauching others. He hardly ever has his eyes shut. Quick to laugh and even quicker to prank and trick everyone and anyone from the very powerful to the poor. He is very good in melee combat and has a tremendous amount of luck on his side. It is said by other elves who meet him that he is highly favored by his god Erevan, as his eyes gleam with otherworldly asymmetrical stars whenever he dons a sardonic grin or wry smile.

Curudin is the consummate trickster, and the perfect, living mortal example of mischief incarnate! Change and excitement are the spices of his life, and he is always trying to reinvent himself and others, playing pranks that both amuse and enlighten. He has been blessed a special and rare gift from Erevan Ilesere and is known as Trickster-Touched.

Curudin has never been caught at anything involving thievery, pranking, tricking, games, wenching, scouting, shadowing, hiding, etc... etc... He runs the Midnight Gambol of Erevan every month and invites all who happen upon it.

He is wild, mischievous, independent, and utterly unpredictable, playing pranks on others for the sheer joy of it, and can be found deep in sylvan glades among the fun-loving subjects of the Seelie Court.

In the city of Silverymoon and Everlund his guild of elven rogues steal only from other thieves and give back to the proper owners half of what was initially stolen from them. They run out of town those thieves, and will even fight other rogues who try to set up shop in the city. So far they have never failed.

He owns 3 taverns in Silverymoon. One is for elves only, another is for mixed crowds, and the last is a brothel which fronts as a winery.

Curudin is known by Alustriel Silverhand and others of high rank in the city, but leave him alone for the most part for his efforts to run out other thieves entering the city. His tricks and pranks on the other hand push all who encounter him to the very edge of sanity and reason... even becoming violent! But not a single person can point a finger directly at him for anything linking him to these pranks and tricks.

He is also a well known adventurer and hero in the northlands, having spent most his life so far in absolute danger and peril. He is never one to be scared or frightened and usually laughs in the place of fear. His career has a long list of very worthy accomplishments, including stealing from Fzoul Chembryl, Semmemmon, The Vampire manshoon, Storm Silverhand, Mintipur Moonsilver, Alustriel Silverhand, Mirt the Moneylender, and countless other kings, warlords and the like. All of them have never been able to catch him as of yet.

He is most famous, or infamous, for his risky and daring thefts of other churches, temples and faiths, including those of Bane, Shar, Tyr, Helm, Talona, Auril, Mask, Torm, Grazz't, Beshabba, Tymora and others.

Just recently (1374-75) he was hired by Khelben Arunsun and The Moonstars to go on a extremely difficult mission to sneak into Shade Enclave and steal a item of invaluable price and proportion from the city of Shade and its leaders. The mission was successful and the item was stolen and laid into the hands of Khelben, but not without its losses. Curudin, being a Divine deciple of Erevan Ilesere couldn't help but play a wicked deadly trick on Prince Clariburnus and Prince Yder before making his daring escape in which he lost his prized dice almost at the cost of his life!

And to add to all this... as well as he is known, he is also just as unknown it seems, and he prefers to keep it that way as long as possible. He is quick to laugh and has a very healthy sense of humor... sometimes light and frivolous, and other times dark and sardonic.

As of 1375 he has been seen moving between Silverymoon and Waterdeep, and has been spotted spending a great deal of time with Elaith "the serpent" Craulnober and Fox-at-Twilight as of late.

Last night, Khelben Arunsun, having seen them at the Hidden Dagger tavern, quietly said to himself that Elaith would do well to frequently check his belongings, and to never underestimate the chaotic power of a wicked Prank or Trick; Especially one performed by Curudin Ahmaquissar!!

Here's the guild members in short... "The Rogues of the laughing Twilight"

Curudin Ahmaquissar: Male Moon elf (stats above)

Laeirlefain Starleaf: Male Copper elf, Rogue 5/ Swashbuckler 8/ Combat Trickster 3

Mitzlevexven Leafbower: Male Moon elf, Rogue 5/ Wizard 5/ Magical Trickster 3

Azdeim Insilnarufen: Male Quickling (fey), Rogue 5/ Wizard 5/ Daggerspell mage 3

Seareghade Shimmerstar: Male Moon half elf, Illusionist 13/ Arcane Devotee 2 of Erevan Ilesere

Terrindill Shaelarra: Male Gold elf, Rogue 6/ Shadowdancer 6 (Shadow walker template)

Cepheus Nightsong: Male Star elf, Bard 16/ Uncanny Trickster 1

Shen-Shen Lhundlar: Female Gold half elf, Rogue 5/ Infiltrator 10

Quintillis Iliathor: Male Moon elf, Rogue 10/ Thief Acrobat 5/ Divine Seeker 2

Nym Nightsong: Male Star elf, Rogue 5/ Wizard 5/ Shadow Adept 5

Saffrathila Winterbough: Female Copper elf, Rogue 5/ Sorcerer 5/ Fortune's Friend 2

Zallathel Amarillis: Male Moon elf: Rogue 5/ Wizard 7/ Mage-killer 5

Filanelendil Winterbough: Male Copper elf: Rogue 7/ Tempest 5/ Temple Raider of Erevan Ilesere 3

Pheyloo Winterbough: Male Copper elf: Rogue 5/ Master Thrower 5/ Assassin 5

All are followers of Erevan Ilesere and are very devoted to each other, mischief and the city of Silverymoon and Everlund. Their pranks range anywhere from making livestock talk, giving a bad stench to someone, turning somebody the colors of Erevan, freezing the bath water of a noble while they were bathing, animating objects to dance and sing, subtly cutting the belt of a warrior so it falls when they reach for their weapon, turning a persons wine or ale into milk or sand, Altering the appearance of someone to look like a Satyr, casting a spell to make a Bard sound like a bugbear, etc... etc..

But also, they are called upon to search and locate ancient elven artifacts and treasures long lost before falling into the wrong hands. And if powerful elven artifacts do fall into the wrong hands then they are also called upon to act as elven assassins to search, find and destroy these wizards and sorcerers who would weild the ancient elven magic. But keep in mind, they do so their own way, on their own terms, for their own reasons, which always lead back to Erevan Ilesere, and the ways of his dogma.

As of early 1375 they are in the employment of Khelben Arunsun and working with the Moonstars towards major events soon to come in the year. They have found "The Shattering Swords of Coronal Ynloeth" along with his Bracer, as well as The ancient Dwarven weapon "Twinblades Alight"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  21:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the character, GEV--I think I'd seen this post (or one like it) over on the WotC boards and am quite pleased by both your creativity and your flattering use of Twilight.

I would point out that Twilight already *found* Ynloeth's Bracer (in 1362) but it is, of course, entirely possible that it disappeared again or was stolen out of the Evermeet museum where Yldar took it. I'm just curious what happened in your campaign.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  01:53:53  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik... Exactly where is The Depths located? Why haven't the Shadovar found it and raised it yet? Just wondering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  03:20:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's location was ever properly specified. All that we know was revealed in the novel, and in the entry from Grand History about it being located "beneath the sands of Anauroch."

Personally, I think it would've been a hoot if it's location, either as a floating enclave or as the dungeon featured in the novel, on the map of Netherese enclaves in Grand History.

Erik will likely have more.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Jan 2009 03:21:42
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  15:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Negarath is, indeed, beneath the sands of Anauroch, probably near the Plain of Standing Stones (as that's where the goliath settlement was, which is somewhere nearby). I purposefully didn't make it any more specific than that.

As for why the shades haven't found it, that's a very good question, and one that I left purposefully unanswered. It's a loose end that I hope to tie into a future story/novel.

Plans are by no means set, though I might suggest one remember that at the end of Depths, there are only a limited number of people outside the dungeon who know of its existence, and it seems pretty clear that the shades would be interested in finding a missing enclave . . . it makes for a powerful secret for an adventurer to hide, or a rich bargaining chip should one want something from Netheril.

So rest assured--your question is a good one and just doesn't have an answer at the moment. We'll see where things go.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000