Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  16:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see Twilight statted up. I remember seeing the title of this thread and ignoring it for the most part cause I wasn't quite sure what/who Fox at Twilight was at the time (I had forgotten about her appearance in Realms of the Elves). But now having read Depths of Madness, this is more significant for me Thanks Tom!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  16:37:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed the writeup (and the novel), Alisttair.

I wonder what Twilight's 4e writeup would look like . . . assuming she's still alive . . . I guess we'll have to see . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Glad you enjoyed the writeup (and the novel), Alisttair.

I wonder what Twilight's 4e writeup would look like . . . assuming she's still alive . . . I guess we'll have to see . . .

Cheers

I'm guessing she is. And now you have me curious as well as to what her 4E stats would be. Likely statted up like most NPCs with her own powers.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:18:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im betting itwould look like this or close to it
The Fox at Twilight
Aerialist Rogue 10/Master Infiltrator 10/dark wander 3
Trickster touched moon elf(eladrin)
Before trickster touched
Str 15, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 14.

After trickster touched
Str 15, Dex 24, Con 16, Int 24, Wis 12, Cha 18.

Feats:
At will powers: 2
Deft strike, riposte strike
Utility powers:6
Hop up, chameleon, nimble climb, hide in plain sight, peripheral concealment,
Encounter powers:4
Fox’s gambit
Daily powers:4
Trickstrike,clever riposite,certain freedom,

Class abilities
Artful dodger
Sneak attack +5d6

maybe one of these days I'll finish looking throug hthe powers and all...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

maybe one of these days I'll finish looking throug hthe powers and all...

She might even have her own powers exclusive to her

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:02:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A power that only an NPC can have? That's not fair to the players! The heroes of the Realms are the PCs, not some NPC from a story!
[/sarcasm]

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

A power that only an NPC can have? That's not fair to the players! The heroes of the Realms are the PCs, not some NPC from a story!
[/sarcasm]

Ah, but since she is CN in alignment (which would be Unaligned in 4E) she instantly qualifies as an potential opponent for the PCs and thus is a 4E NPC Villain for them to slay.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per what I perceive as the 4e paradigm at the moment, Twilight would almost certainly be written up utilizing the NPC stat-block. Meaning (among other things) that her powers wouldn't utilize the same rules as the PCs (i.e. can do things unimitable in the PHB), but that she'll be more limited than the PCs in other ways (fewer powers).

You'd probably build the 4e Twilight on an eladrin base, with the added Rogue NPC template (from the DMG or MM, can't remember which at the moment) and she'd fall somewhere in the paragon tier in terms of level (I'd guess around level 15-16).

If we *were* to build her as a PC, however, and assuming she's even still alive . . .

I'm not sure on the whole aerialist vs. trickster rogue thing. They're both there, obviously, in how Twilight does things. She's spry and nimble and moves around a lot, and she has mad climbing and tumbling skills. On the other hand, clearly trickery is extremely important to her character. Deceit is basically one of the pillars of her character.

I think she leans toward a trickster rogue build, myself, with some aerialist abilities . . . but I appreciate seeing different takes on Twilight. She's complex.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

She might even have her own powers exclusive to her

Shadow Dancer anyone?

(Anyone seen that paragon path show up anywhere? I seem to recall it in some playtest bard stuff, but it doesn't appear to be in the PHB2 ToC.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:09:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, but since she is CN in alignment (which would be Unaligned in 4E) she instantly qualifies as an potential opponent for the PCs and thus is a 4E NPC Villain for them to slay.

Uh . . . we weren't under the impression that Twilight was some sort of hero, were we?

(Girl's a super-freak.)

Cheers

P.S. Added that last bit because I know it'll drive Wooly/Sage nuts.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh . . . we weren't under the impression that Twilight was some sort of hero, were we?

Definately not. Anyone who blatantly knees men between the legs on multiple occasions is NOT heroic, but just plain mean. That's fighting DIRTY!!

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:17:06  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would point out that Twilight already *found* Ynloeth's Bracer (in 1362) but it is, of course, entirely possible that it disappeared again or was stolen out of the Evermeet museum where Yldar took it. I'm just curious what happened in your campaign.

Cheers

You know, I've been wondering what Yldar did with the bracer after he got it. I'm actually rather surprised that it wasn't used by someone during the Elven Crusade...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone who blatantly knees men between the legs on multiple occasions is NOT heroic, but just plain mean. That's fighting DIRTY!!

Heh. Let's see . . .

Knee in the Nads (standard action, recharge 5 6) * Psychic

Requires combat advantage, DEX vs. Reflex, 5d10+25 damage + ongoing 10 psychic damage as you try to collect your shattered self-esteem (save ends).

(Note: I was going to make it an encounter power, but as you mentioned the "multiple occasions" bit, I thought the recharge worked better.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

You know, I've been wondering what Yldar did with the bracer after he got it. I'm actually rather surprised that it wasn't used by someone during the Elven Crusade...

I *believe* the Yldar and Cythara writeup might has said something about that, but mostly it's an open question. Maybe it *was* used in the Elven Crusade, but just didn't get "screen-time"?

I would guess that Yldar returned the bracer to Evermeet, as "that belongs in a museum!" and all that, then returned to the mainland to find that elf woman of his dreams . . . who oddly kept kneeing him where it really hurt.

(I'm sure it's just a gesture of affection. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  19:33:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no, no shadowdancer
master infiltrator
shadow assassin

you know, you could just have her written up as a swordmage

mmmmm.....Fox at twilight eating ice cream nude...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  19:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Anyone who blatantly knees men between the legs on multiple occasions is NOT heroic, but just plain mean. That's fighting DIRTY!!

Heh. Let's see . . .

Knee in the Nads (standard action, recharge 5 6) * Psychic

Requires combat advantage, DEX vs. Reflex, 5d10+25 damage + ongoing 10 psychic damage as you try to collect your shattered self-esteem (save ends).

(Note: I was going to make it an encounter power, but as you mentioned the "multiple occasions" bit, I thought the recharge worked better.)

Cheers

Exactly, plus the recharge is a great tool for villains and it fits perfectly for her. Love the damage you gave it LOL its PERFECT (just hope you don't get Bloodied after taking that one)

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  20:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Exactly, plus the recharge is a great tool for villains and it fits perfectly for her. Love the damage you gave it LOL its PERFECT (just hope you don't get Bloodied after taking that one)

Heh.

Maybe there should be a daze effect, too--for instance, while suffering the ongoing damage, you are dazed.

quote:

you know, you could just have her written up as a swordmage

While I love the swordmage class, I don't think it fits with Twilight all that well. She's got about as much magic in her as I've got in my left thumb (well, aside from all the detection abilities she had, which don't really exist anymore). I think rogue actually fits with her better in 4e than it did in 3.5 . . . a quick, do-lots-of-damage-and-scurry-away sort of warrior.

Aw man . . . and now I'll be thinking about ice cream all day.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  23:27:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

(Girl's a super-freak.)

Cheers

You really know how to tease, don't you Erik?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  01:13:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

(Girl's a super-freak.)

Cheers

You're an evil man, Erik. But you're a fun evil man, so it's all good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  09:24:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you dont get he aerilist rogue versuses the trickster rogue, well it comes down to it, its nothing more than rogue skills:
insight versus athletics. the rest of either skill set are the same.

so, which is more Fox at Twilight??

wonder what would happen if a cross class feat was taken for this???

either way one feat for the rapier will still have to be taken, and if one exists in either gsl books or a wotc book, a feat to allow for the rapier to be used for sneak attack.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  05:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, your description sounded very much like the distinction in my head, and I think Twilight is both insight AND athletics. The question is which is she more? And I think she's more insight, actually, in terms of her training. Remember, she's a world-class liar and always seems to know when people are lying to her.

And really, it doesn't matter, since she'd just have a mix of abilities from the two paths. She wouldn't have exactly the same skills listed in either Trickster Rogue or Aerialist Rogue--she'd have both athletics and acrobatics. Artful Dodger, definitely.

Pretty sure the rapier can be used for sneak attack--it's a light blade, after all.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  06:07:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
trickster has insight
aerialist has athletics.
both have acrobatics.

guess its trickster

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  07:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, seeing as eladrin characters get a bonus trained skill anyway . . . I think we're good.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  10:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

She's got about as much magic in her as I've got in my left thumb ...

WHAT?????
You mean you AREN'T an ARCHMAGE????????????? Coulda fooled me!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  14:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WHAT?????

Heh. I just want it noted I never actually said I *didn't* have magic in my left thumb . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  08:44:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

WHAT?????

Heh. I just want it noted I never actually said I *didn't* have magic in my left thumb . . .

Cheers

and I'd like to point out that Mr. Eric Scott De Bie worships the Fey Jester....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  23:15:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so Eric, what do you think of the avenger class, with rogue training and rogue powers.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  23:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and I'd like to point out that Mr. Eric Scott De Bie worships the Fey Jester....

Worships? I'll have you know that I've been accused of being the Chosen of Erevan.

Not that I would dare pretend to that title, as Erevan's true high priest (who you haven't met . . . yet, anyway) might not take it too kindly.

quote:

so Eric, what do you think of the avenger class, with rogue training and rogue powers.

I haven't got the PHB2 yet, I'm afraid--though I will check it out sometime. You can bet on it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 25 Mar 2009 05:23:08
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  04:28:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay, figured I'd be nosy and ask.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  11:24:27  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If all of this was compiled into a pdf, I'm sure Big Al would be happy to host it.

Was her Stats ever put into PDF form?

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  15:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the bottom three PDFs on this page: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/lore.htm#rumours

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000