Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monsters By Habitat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  01:27:45  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know of a resource that lists monsters by their habitats?

Like, say I'm building a set of sewer encounters. Is there some kind of table I can reference that lists all monsters found in sewers?

Thanks.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  01:58:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that sewers were ever an official category of habitat... But the old 2E Monstrous Compendiums had tables for random encounters, and these were separated out by terrain type.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  02:04:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When 2nd Edition did a very good job, some of the source books even provided random encouter tables for terrain. WotC did, prehaps still does, offer free down loads of these resources.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  02:13:40  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'll check that out.

I might work on something similar myself and share it, if not for my own benefit. I've got like 10 books with various monsters in them, gets tiresome to page through each one to check all of my options to make sure I'm not looking things over.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  03:31:45  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
elminster's ecologies
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  13:59:22  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3.5e DMG has a tables of monsters by "terrain" including underground and (I think) urban, which includes creatures from the 1st monster manual. Those should give you an idea.

An invaluable resource for this kind of thing is the World of Sulerin encounter generator that will make a list of randomly selected monsters for you from whatever sources you want, including 2e and 3.X. EN World member Echohawk also maintains a spreadsheet of all the (official) D&D monsters from any edition, including conversions and updates, available here, which I think has a filterable listing for environment.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  17:44:16  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome freyar! Perfect. Thanks much for that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000