Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Information on Bahamut
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trellian
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  21:17:21  Show Profile  Visit trellian's Homepage Send trellian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there.

I have a new character joining my group this weekend, and he is a Dragon Shaman with ties to Bahamut. Is there any information on Bahamut somewhere, such as how the church is organized, where the major centers are and so on? I have looked in both Faith and Avatars and Faiths and Pantheons with no luck.

Thanks.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  21:30:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons of Faerun has some more information on this, but the short answer is that the Bloodstone Lands would be your best bet, although he seems to have more "paladin" style followers there.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  23:00:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know that leaving Bahamut out of the list of nonhuman deities [among others] in 3e Faiths and Pantheons was actually an error -- as Tom and Eric have stated in the past. So Bahamut is *supposed* to exist in the 3e Realms just as he did in previous editions.

Dragons of Faerûn "corrects" this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  17:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he is also in the book Complete Divine. of course that is 3.5 and non FR, but I don't see why you couldn't use it

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

trellian
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  18:33:08  Show Profile  Visit trellian's Homepage Send trellian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I'll see what I find in Complete Divine. I'm far away from the Bloodstone Lands anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  22:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Dragons has also some information on Bahamut, his church, clergy, and believers. Of course, this isn't FR, either, but it may be useful.

More information on Bahamut (including stats) is found in the Manual of the Planes in the chapter about Mount Celestia.

The Book of Exalted Deeds details one prestige class related to Bahamut, the Vassal of Bahamut, which is placed in the Realms by Dragons of Faerun.

Some information is also found in the Great History of the Realms. There is one bit of lore that is strange (in my opinion). 1373 Nightal 6 states, that the defeat of Sammaster and the destruction of the draco rage mythal "also releases the great platinum dragon Bahamut from his ancient prison. Bahamut reappears in Celestia, and soon invades Tiamat's demesne in the domain known as the Dragon Eyrie."

As far as I can see, we have no information on this "ancient prison" of Lord of the Northwind. Dragons of Faerun places him on mount celestia at the time of the events of the shattering of the scepter of Orcus. Is there any more detailed info on this "ancient prison" and his "invasion of the demesne of Tiamat"?

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  17:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trellian

Thanks guys, I'll see what I find in Complete Divine. I'm far away from the Bloodstone Lands anyway.

Always happy to assist, as I have been assisted many times

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  13:30:37  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You have already stated that you're far away from the Bloodstone Lands, unfortunately that is where most of the references I am going to give to you come from as KnightErrant pointed out, he is popular in that region ... mayhap you can glean some of the info for your use - if they seem random it is because i am grabbing them from a canon outline

RotP = Road of the Patriarch
DoF = Dragons of Faerun
PaP = Powers and Pantheons
FR9 = Bloodstone Lands
H4 = Throne of Bloodstone

White Tree [gift from the deity Bahamut to Gareth] – located in the Grand Garden on the shore of Lake Midai (RotP p25-26) 30 feet tall, branches used by Gareth and friends to make items of power from its magical wood (RotP p26) ward against creatures from the Abyss being able to walk on the land of the Bloodstone Lands (RotP p25)

Talons of Justice serve Bahamut (DoF p100)

3. Bahamut (PaP p133) (FR9 p6,37) (H4 p30,53,80-81) (DoF p8-10) (RotP p26)
a. Directed and teleported a group of Damaran heroes to Tiamat’s Lair (PaP p133) (H4 p80-81) (DoF p9)
b. The mortals, led by Gareth, destroyed Tiamat’s avatar (PaP p133) (DoF p9)
c. Told adventurers of the artifact called the Tree-Gem that was created from the destruction of the Wand of Orcus – once planted at Gareth’s coronation, it grew into a beautiful white tree which forever banishes Orcus and other abyssal creatures from the Bloodstone Lands as long as the country and its rulers align with the cause of good (FR9 p6,37) (H4 p81,82) (DoF p9) (RotP p25-26)
d. Power has grown to the rank of Lesser deity as the planting of the Tree-gem in Damara renewed interest among nondragon races in his teachings (DoF p9)
e. Church of Tiamat and the Church of Bahamut followers race to seek out impact points of lightning strikes and gather eggs (DoF p10)
f. Church of Bahamut rituals – Call of Bahamut, Rite of Rebirth (DoF p9)
g. Becoming Platinum Knights or Vassals of Bahamut (DoF p9)

‘Bahamut’s Quest’ (H4 p83)

Vassals of Bahamut (DoF p9)

Gareth and friends stole Orcus’ Wand and delivered it to Bahamut (FR9 p6) (DoF p9)
Bahamut instructed them to dip the wand in Tiamat’s blood (DoF p9)

Frequent visits from the Undying Queen, dispatched to Castle Perilous in response to Bahamut planting the Tree-Gem (PaP p136) (DoF p9)

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 09 Feb 2008 13:34:25
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  13:33:46  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"""Some information is also found in the Great History of the Realms. There is one bit of lore that is strange (in my opinion). 1373 Nightal 6 states, that the defeat of Sammaster and the destruction of the draco rage mythal "also releases the great platinum dragon Bahamut from his ancient prison. Bahamut reappears in Celestia, and soon invades Tiamat's demesne in the domain known as the Dragon Eyrie."
"""

my guess is this is how WotC "fixed" Bahamut's omission from 3e sourcebooks

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  04:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This entry was no doubt added to begin the 4ed transition away from Tyr to Bahamut. It also helps pave the way for dragonborn factions in the future Realms.

Dragon Magazine 260 had some info on the children of Bahamut, and there were many old, old articles on Bahamut in the classic issues of Dragon.

quote:
Originally posted by coach

"""Some information is also found in the Great History of the Realms. There is one bit of lore that is strange (in my opinion). 1373 Nightal 6 states, that the defeat of Sammaster and the destruction of the draco rage mythal "also releases the great platinum dragon Bahamut from his ancient prison. Bahamut reappears in Celestia, and soon invades Tiamat's demesne in the domain known as the Dragon Eyrie."
"""

my guess is this is how WotC "fixed" Bahamut's omission from 3e sourcebooks

Edited by - Ranak on 13 Feb 2008 04:26:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000