Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Need help with an unusual plot hook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  14:42:05  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Some time ago, I mentioned in another thread that it would be quite cool if some of the other worlds mentioned in various FR novels and sourcebooks would be fleshed out a bit. Recently, I decided to have a go at one such world myself, specifically the world of Threnody. All we know of this place is that it is the world where Kiaransalee rose to power, first as a mortal ruler and later as a deity, and that (almost?) all life was wiped out, leaving only the undead.

One of the premises I've come up with is that, over the past few millenias, several groups from various other worlds (not Abeir-Toril) have taken it upon themselves to restore life to Threnody. As Threnody has been forsaken by all gods other than Kiaransalee, these groups must all work without direct divine aid, and consequently have developed several unique classes (base and prestige), as well as class features and feats for some of the standard classes.

(These groups are certainly not the only mortals present in Threnody; there are also mortal worshippers of Kiaransalee on unholy pilgrimages, adventurers attempting to steal magical items and treasure, and so on.)

One of the new base classes is the zoanamancer (also informally known as the "life mage"), an arcane magic user who taps into the power of the positive energy plane much as a necromancer utilises energy from the negative energy plane. Consequently, the zoanamancer has has the ability to turn and destroy undead, to cast healing spells, and a few other more unique class features.

I'd like to create a few plot hooks relating to Threnody and these groups (mainly to draw in adventures from the Realms), and one of those I have in mind is a group of the aforementioned zoanamancers arriving somewhere in Faerun, seeking aid in their objective of restoring life to a dead world. However, at the moment that basic premise is all I have; I need some suggestions on why they might travel to Faerun, what groups would be interested in helping them out, who might want to hinder them (or perhaps study their abilities), and so on.

(For arguments sake, let's say their arrival takes place prior to Kiaransalee's "death" in Storm of the Dead.)

Edited by - nbnmare on 26 Nov 2007 14:52:08

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  18:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read storm of the dead, buuut, let's say that you do it before.

One, is Orcus back? Actually some of the "adventurer" groups would be his. Why? He wants to hurt Kiransalee for stealing away his divinity.

Two: Why in the nine hells do the PC's Care about Threnody? I have trouble with this one, unless it's a planar style game. Then you could have the Dustmen or the Doomguard interested in using Threnody as little more than a way station for a veritable army, while other factions are mostly unaware (then they are going in to stop the gate from opening).

Now, given an FR side to this, perhaps a gate is opening in Hellgate Keep or the Zhentarim have found it, and want to use it for their own experiments. Sure, Bane hasn't any power there, but wizardry would still work. The Harpers would take notice of an unusual influx of Banedead and other horrific undead (you could even make some undead Draegloths for good measure).

Three: Where do you see this going? Do you see the PC's using Threnody as a base of operations, a "Garden of Eden" restoration, or something else? This can be a long-term project for the PC's, and if you follow the canon that Kiransalee is dead at some point, a definite amount of assistance/hindering of evil will be needed.

Just my thoughts.
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  18:32:26  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I mentioned I do plan to create a number of plot hooks relating to Threnody, and most of these will resolve around how and why the PCs (and other inhabitants of the Realms) would travel there. Obviously there will need to be reasons for characters of all alignments and various backgrounds & interests to want to go there; for example, besides the hook already mentioned, the PCs might be sent a divine vision by their deity. Many gods, particular Kelemvor, would see a world of undead as an abomination, others would be more concerned about the lack of life, some might want the followers to retrieve a particular powerful magical item or spell, others might wish to disrupt the "restoration project", and still others might see a dead world restored to life to be a great place to spread their worship to).

Incidentally, the restoration is by no means the focus of the write-up, and there will be plenty of other goings on there (naturally, most will involve the undead). However, the restoration is my favourite of the concepts I've come up with so far, plus it provides a good explanation for why there more than just a handful of other living NPCs present on a world where all life was either eradicated or turned into undead :).

Edited by - nb_nmare on 26 Nov 2007 18:35:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000