Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 2E Fluff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  19:03:41  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been reading the 2E supplement the Vilhon Reach and have been amazed by the amount of fluff vs. crunch in the tome, and was wondering if this is standard in 2E tomes?

What are your favorite 2E FR tomes? And are there anymore tomes that deal with the Reach beyond this tome?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  19:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldritchknight

I have been reading the 2E supplement the Vilhon Reach and have been amazed by the amount of fluff vs. crunch in the tome, and was wondering if this is standard in 2E tomes?

In my opinion it is.

quote:
What are your favorite 2E FR tomes?

I'll take any I can get my hands on.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  19:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What are your favorite 2E FR tomes? And are there anymore tomes that deal with the Reach beyond this tome?

What meens fluff and crunch?
By tome you meen story?

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french born

The courage to follow our dreams is the first step to achieve our destiny

The tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  19:29:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yes indeedy! The amount of lore we were given in 1E and 2E tomes was far in excess of what 3.x has given us. The game designers of 2E didn't feel obligated to waste page count on things like feats, Prestige Classes or full-page stat listings. So that was more room for lore.

quote:

What are your favorite 2E FR tomes?

The three deity books, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities were all wonderful. Cloak & Dagger had great info and a lot of campaign potential that has unfortunately been ignored in 3E. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is the single best area sourcebook we've been given, and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) gave a wonderful feel for anything magical in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  19:33:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

quote:

What meens fluff and crunch?
By tome you meen story?

Tome is another word for book. It's a bit archaic, but far more common than words like libram or folio.

Fluff is a term that refers to any game information that isn't rules or stats. We generally prefer the word lore, though.

Crunch is all the rules and stats. Fluff/lore is what makes the setting come alive, all the rich detail that draws us in. Crunch is what we need for actual gameplay.

Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  20:28:10  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick replies, all!

I have been really enjoying my reading of the Vilhon Reach, and am looking forward to reading more on the area. The only novels that are set in the reach are the House of Serpents and the Scions of Arrabar, right?

Those will probably be the next novels I pick up.
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  20:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Wooly, now I undestand better the question and the answers !
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  22:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Like Wooly already mentioned the three god books are great. I would add the The Forgotten Realms Adventures Book, Sea of Fallen Stars and Pirates of the Fallen Stars. The last two also include info on the Vilhon Reach concerning these regions' harbours and their attitude towards piracy.

Their also was an adventure module set in this region, IIRC. I forgot the name, though.

Edited by - Dalmar Amad on 20 Nov 2007 22:47:47
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  23:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only novels that are set in the reach are the House of Serpents and the Scions of Arrabar, right?

I really liked both series because one of my campaigns is heading there.
The first series shows us a bit of the fear Chondath's neighbours have concerning its resurgence, especially book two.

The second series shows us how the Shining Lord keeps chondathan nobles occupied.

If you're interested in this region, these novels are helpful.

I don't know of any other novels set in this region.

Edited by - Dalmar Amad on 20 Nov 2007 23:03:41
Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  23:17:13  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even those 2E books specifically designed to introduce new rules-related stuff were lore-heavy. On the surface books such as Wizards and Rogues of the Realms, Warriors and Priests of the Realms, and Demihumans of the Realms simply provide a bunch of new kits and a couple of new classes, but the descriptions of said kits and classes provide a wealth of lore.

Edited by - nb_nmare on 20 Nov 2007 23:18:26
Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  03:45:31  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dalmar Amad.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  04:23:56  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes and my favorites were the forgotten realms atlas and elminster's ecologies
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  07:13:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just checking, you do know about the free downloads of several 2ed. Realms books from Wizards page (oh where art thy, Hamster of many links?). This will give you an idea of how the Realms products used to be. Volo guides, parts of Elminsters Ecologies and further.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  07:14:14  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

[quote]What are your favorite 2E FR tomes?

I'll take any I can get my hands on.

Same here. I love my 1st and 2nd Edition tomes and think of that as the 'Golden Era' of the Realms.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  12:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The three deity books, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities were all wonderful. Cloak & Dagger had great info and a lot of campaign potential that has unfortunately been ignored in 3E. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is the single best area sourcebook we've been given, and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) gave a wonderful feel for anything magical in the Realms.

To the Hamster list, I add Elminster Ecologies, Seven Sisters, and Cult of the Dragon.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  15:20:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Just checking, you do know about the free downloads of several 2ed. Realms books from Wizards page (oh where art thy, Hamster of many links?). This will give you an idea of how the Realms products used to be. Volo guides, parts of Elminsters Ecologies and further.

Have no fear, the Hamster is here!

The spoken of link: the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  17:16:40  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes that's the standards of 2edition !!! 2edition FOREVER!!!

MY best is THE NORTH box set!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  03:41:45  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How were those books Prayers of the Faithful, Secrets of the Magi, Demihumans of the Realms

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  06:28:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

How were those books Prayers of the Faithful, Secrets of the Magi, Demihumans of the Realms

Well, Prayers of the Faithfull and the 2nd. Secrets of the Magister are both among the Realms book I never got around to buying, but Demihumans of the Realms is a collection of kits for the Realms. Some OK, some not so. It is not a book I can say I have gotten much use out of.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  12:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prayers of the Faithfull is a very good tome, about sacred books of the great faerunian faiths. The book explain the tomes history, contents, whereabouts, and powers. It´s a great book!

Secrets of the Magister is a very focused tome: all about the Magister of Mystra. So, if you will not use him in a campaign (or give this role to a player!!!), the book lost his value... but it´s a good read, indeed. Ed Greenwood, Dale Donovan and Kim Mohan make a good job in it.

Demihumans of the Realms is an absolute, if you are a DM, or if you like to play with demihumans. Wooly can speak better about this one...

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 23 Nov 2007 12:59:14
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  14:06:04  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what about those books Warriors & Priests of the Realms and Wizards&Rogues of the Realms, any good fluff?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  14:47:10  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

what about those books Warriors & Priests of the Realms and Wizards&Rogues of the Realms, any good fluff?

Well, they are OK, but not much lore you cant find around in other realms products. They are interesting for 2ed. players, but I am unsure of the use for others. All thought they might give players and DM's some ideas about regional differences.

The priest part is in my opinion the most interesting. These are cleric kits for the different deities of the Realms, many of which are made to serve special functions within the clergy. Neutral kits for Umberlee and Shar are examples.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  16:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prayers from the Faithful and Secrets of the Magister are awesome; like The Seven Sisters, they really show you how the Realms works in the higher echelons of priesthood, adventuring and wizardry, and give far more incidental information than their overt subjects. I think Demihumans of the Realms, Warriors & Priests and Wizards & Rogues are disposable.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  08:31:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being a creature of legendarily bad memory I seem to have mixed Pages from the Mages with the Secrets of the Magister. I would therefore like to add a recommendation concerning that book. A huge source of Realmslore, one of those containing almost to much for a person to take in. Hate the illustrations intensely though.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  19:21:34  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
without getting too specific what is Secrets of the Magister about?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  19:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It´s a 130 pages tome, with all concerning the Magister:

- Tasks of the Magister;
- Becoming the Magister;
- Powers of the Magister;
- Leaving Office;
- Mystra´s Choice;
- Magisters remembered;
- The Magister Now;
- Magisterial Magic (with spell mantles, combination of spells, and selected magisterial spells);
- Artifacts and magical items;
- Magisterial Campaign;
- Mystra´s Other Servants;

These are the topics that explain themselves by their titles; there are others, but they are more specific.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  21:09:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also quite a bit of information concerning the ideas of Mystra and her followers hidden around in the book. Examples of such are families with special powers that earlier Magisters have shown interest in.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  22:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book also says a lot about how mages think and act, what apprenticeship is like, a lot of incidental local and historical flavour and secrets and thus adventure hooks, about combination magic, and shadowstaves and tarsardar are a valuable model for other religions' odd servants beyond clerics and 'chosen'.
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  17:35:04  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster Ecologies and the Everwinking Eye articles in Dragon will always be some of my favorites, as well as the incredible boost in flavor the triad of deity books gave priests, paladins, and anyone religious.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000