Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Coronals and kings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  03:58:58  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What exactly are the coronals of the elves? Are they hereditary kings?

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  09:57:47  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coronals are like monarches ruling their own kingdoms or states. It is more likely that they are patriaches that came from the ruling House that holds absolute control over the kingdom.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  14:13:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis one thing I've noticed about the Realms -- just about every ruler has some fancy title other than King or Lord or Mayor.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  14:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah I like that whole netyarch thing in narfell is it? and thay?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  15:20:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

'Tis one thing I've noticed about the Realms -- just about every ruler has some fancy title other than King or Lord or Mayor.

Of course, with elven lifespans being what they are... must other (demi) human realms will see the rise and fall of many kings, lords and mayors, in the time it takes for just one Coronal to rule an elven realm in FR .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Feb 2006 15:21:28
Go to Top of Page

Feanor
Learned Scribe

100 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  17:35:34  Show Profile Send Feanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

No, because this is not a hereditary position. In Cormanthor, to become a coronal you needed to be accepted by the Ruler's Blade, one of the 3 elfblades, and you could ascend to this position even if you were not a relative of the previous coronal.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  17:45:11  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  21:06:01  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question: how did Evermeet end up with a hereditary monarch?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  21:20:33  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another question: how did Evermeet end up with a hereditary monarch?

By magical selection so to speak. The moonblades were created to find a king, and after many years Zaor got the jackpot.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  03:06:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For this tale, read the novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves. Not only does this novel relate the tale of the moonblades, it's a treasure trove of lore about the elves and their history.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Feb 2006 03:07:59
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  05:07:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Feanor

quote:

No, because this is not a hereditary position. In Cormanthor, to become a coronal you needed to be accepted by the Ruler's Blade, one of the 3 elfblades, and you could ascend to this position even if you were not a relative of the previous coronal.

I'm not sure that this is correct. Taking Cormanthyr as an example, the Irithyl family were the hereditary rulers of the realm. It was only when their bloodline died out that alternative government was put in place and a Claiming-type Ceremony was organised. This appears to be the case with most other elven realms such as Ayvandaar (the Vyshaan) and the sea-elven realms detailed in Sea of Fallen Stars.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  05:46:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For this tale, read the novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves. Not only does this novel relate the tale of the moonblades, it's a treasure trove of lore about the elves and their history.

And it manages to use the term "elf-chick" in a logical and completely justified way

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  18:43:08  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Feanor

quote:

So, why all the Coronals was relatives of the same family. Irithyl. This is hereditary, but there´s no more living Irithyls that can claim the throne. Aravae Irithyl, niece of Eltagrim (The last coronal), was the last of this family.
So, the sword Arcor Kerym decides who will be the next Coronal through tests.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  20:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

So, why all the Coronals was relatives of the same family. Irithyl. This is hereditary, but there´s no more living Irithyls that can claim the throne.Aravae Irithyl, niece of Eltagrim (The last coronal), was the last of this family.

I've always taken that to be a possibly faulty factoid. If someone wants to have a still-living Irithyl in their game, I say they go for it.

Also, I've always thought that the sword simply chose Irithyls, and it wasn't a hereditary monarchy per se.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Nov 2007 20:32:29
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  00:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I read it was that the Irithyls (for example) had essentially a "right of first refusal." They were raised to be the next Coronal, and expected by others to be it as well, but each one had the survive the Ruling Blade's claiming. It was only after that family was gone that it was thrown open to anyone who wished to try.

I think there was a "trust in certain families," for want of a better phrase, but that the elves, having been burned once by the Vyshaan, were going to make all of their leaders go through a test (like Lamruil, where the court thought he'd be killed for claiming the ruling moonblade), and not just the one who founded the dynasty.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The way I read it was that the Irithyls (for example) had essentially a "right of first refusal." They were raised to be the next Coronal, and expected by others to be it as well, but each one had the survive the Ruling Blade's claiming. It was only after that family was gone that it was thrown open to anyone who wished to try.

I think there was a "trust in certain families," for want of a better phrase, but that the elves, having been burned once by the Vyshaan, were going to make all of their leaders go through a test (like Lamruil, where the court thought he'd be killed for claiming the ruling moonblade), and not just the one who founded the dynasty.

I like that way of looking at the situation.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  02:09:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed, Hoondatha has it spot-on.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000