Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 An Epic FR Adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  09:36:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Great to hear stoltzVI, and welcome aboard.

As for expertise, I have found that regardless of the level of expertise some gamers may have, it's the imagination and ideas that really form the basis of many of the games and campaigns I design. Anything you can contribute will be welcome.

Anyway I am still sorting things here, I should have a rough schedule of how we may start this project in a few days.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

stoltzVI
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  19:09:39  Show Profile  Visit stoltzVI's Homepage Send stoltzVI a Private Message
i reread the entire thread today and thought that i`d pitch in some of the ideas i`ve running around in my mind just to give this forum a push in the "active" direction.

First of all, a mechanical issue that might not be terribly important, but still needs to be taken care of at one point or another : will this be a 3.0 or 3.5 adventure, since dwarves seems to be beefed up a bit in 3.5 it would be nice to know what we`ll be using as canon. (i`d say 3.0, much easier to change to 3.5 at a later date if we`d ever want to do that)

And now for some more general story ideas and thoughts :
The great rift seems like a pretty interesting place to build an adventure, it hasn`t been used a lot in canon fr-stuff, and it`s ripe with possibilities. A civil war seems indeed to be a nice way to introduce some meddling adventurers
After reading the section on The Rift in FRCS a possible plotline would be the Queen dying (they prefer female rulers) and leaving only male heirs, who both want the throne (thunder twins? neither necessarily evil?) to take it even further they may have been given control over a colony each (there are colonies in Unther and Halruaa, though this might stretch out the adventure too much.) This might then lead to a major civil war between the colonies with the great rift`s future hanging in a thread,
(to complicate matters even further, throw in an unknown female heir, some duergar, all kind of underdark nasties and shake repeatedly )
okay, all this just came from the top of my head, so it`s not very thought through, but lemme hear what you think..

oh, and another thing that really needs to be looked upon from very early in the process, how will the heroes end up involved in a dwarven civil war? there are more trusting races on the face of faerun than dwarves. (No offense! )

oh, and YET another thing, can somebody perhaps whip up the fr-atlas and check for maps of the great rift and surrounding area?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  05:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well, that sounds like the basis for a very good story. A possible hook might be a dwarven or dwarf-friend member of the party, known to one side or the other. Of course, dwarven characters (or just characters in general) are not as common as others, I'd think. After all, the reason we're doing this here is because it hasn't been used much so far.

And I suppose we ought to make it as generically open as we can, to occomodate all sorts of parties and party histories. The transition to a new campaign (whatever it was before) should be as smooth as possible. Of course, I'm sure that more experienced minds have already pondered this -- so what do the DMs think?

As for the map, I don't see much in mine. Just the part they can show from the all-Faerun map. There's not much detail you can put on a small-scale (large-view) map like this. Each square on the map is two hundred miles on a side, after all.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  12:08:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
This sounds great so far stoltzVI. I wish disgest what you have suggested and 'noddle' with it for a while. However with my philosophy exam tomorrow, my thoughts are really not on the Realms at the moment. I will try and make some contructive comments on Thursday.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  15:08:01  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
Hey stoltzVI that sounds like a good idea. Just out of curiousity wouldn't a matriarc kingdom be similar to the Drow? Now the idea of twin children of the last Queen (she is the ruler now due to her husband dying in some great battle years earlier), each ruling a coloney, return to the capital upon the death of the Queen. Who should take the crown?

Possible hooks:

1. One twin hears of an achient artifact lost centuries before that would unite the dwarves if found.
2. A cival war breaks out between the two factions and a party of dwarven adventurers seeks to reunite them.
3. Rumors of the spirits of former rulers stalk mines, threatening to bring the kingdom to an end

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any other ideas? I'm not one on stats and all so if any one has an idea I'll help with the fluff.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  15:26:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Good to hear AraznBlair. This is shaping up nicely.

I do wonder however, whether the Bookwyrm, will pitch his tent in this field before I decide to begin.

More tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  17:28:26  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AraznBlair

Now the idea of twin children of the last Queen (she is the ruler now due to her husband dying in some great battle years earlier), each ruling a coloney, return to the capital upon the death of the Queen. Who should take the crown?

Possible hooks:

1. One twin hears of an achient artifact lost centuries before that would unite the dwarves if found.
2. A cival war breaks out between the two factions and a party of dwarven adventurers seeks to reunite them.
3. Rumors of the spirits of former rulers stalk mines, threatening to bring the kingdom to an end

I like the twins (obviously), but I think the "ancient artifact" thing has been over done. Option two sounds best to me. Or, they might not seek to reunite them, they might choose to side with one faction over the other. It would all kinda depend on their reason for being there in the first place and what type of adventure you wanted. (Also, I know from personal experience that when one twin has a grudge against the other it is nearly impossible to get the two to ever see eye-to-eye again.)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  19:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Sage, I don't know exactly how much I can contribute. I was sort of seeing myself as a lurking newbie to bounce ideas off of.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:33:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That's okay Bookwyrm, just as long as you are onboard. I value all the comments, and the people who have so far decided to sign on with this project.

Since you offered yourself as a wall to bounce ideas off, I may be getting in contact with you by ethereal mail soon with some possible ideas. I'd post them here, but since both you and I seem to visit Candlekeep at least once a day, I can expect you to comment on the ideas rather quickly.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:37:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
For those who are interested in helping with the mechanics, I have a question for you.

Do you assume that this adventure will be 3e based or would some of you like to make use of the revised 3.5 rules due for release shortly?. I would appreciate some feedback on this, since it will effect both who can use the adventure and where.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  11:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I check email every time I connect from my personal computer, which is, at the moment, the only way I get on; my MSN Messenger program pops up with how much mail I have, and I click on it every time. As long as it hasn't been caught by a filter, I'll read a message within maybe eighteen hours at the most. I might take longer to reply, of course.

I'd say stick with 3e. I doubt they'll really be doing anything that would mess this up completely if we ever do switch. And besides, as far as I know, 3.5 is only krunch-material. Ours is heavy on fluffy goodness; we won't be doing any rolls for a while, certainly well after at least one of us gets a good look at 3.5.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  11:04:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I guess then, we will go with creating some fluff material first.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  15:58:12  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
The 3E vs 3.5E question to me is moot. I only have the 3E PBH and DMG and have not yet decided to buy the 3.5E (not sure if it worth buying or not). I think (and I could be wronge so tell me if I am) that the question of edition only concerns with character (pc/npc) statistics and not the material overall.

So if we have decided on a Dwarven Epic adventure set in or around the Great Rift I would like to propose a name for the Dwarven Stronghold. How does Naldwamordumm sound to everyone. It was a stronghold I had created using the 2E Dwaven Handbook a few years back. This could be the capital of the kingdom.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  18:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
I say go with 3rd Ed. As you say Bookwyrm, its mainly the fluff that people are going to be interested in. I love fluff

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  20:49:39  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

I say go with 3rd Ed. As you say Bookwyrm, its mainly the fluff that people are going to be interested in. I love fluff

Who is fluff?

OH!!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  09:59:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Great, this scroll seems to be picking up pace. I am now starting work on some very generalised background 'fluff'. Until it is ready, I would like to hear what all the other 'Fluff' Generals here would like to contribute to the project. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it relates to the general theme of the adventure. Something good is bound to come up.

I'll release some drafts of my 'fluff' soon.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well, what would the general course of the plot be? We've had background, but not much on what the characters are actually going to do. Personally, I'd love a dungeon crawl in an old, abandoned area that's been partially flooded and taken over by someone; as I said previously, I wanted some underwater parts.

However, that's pretty straighforward, and -- assuming it's not shot down as being too cliche -- relatively easy to put in. What I'm more concerned about is all the real fluff. I don't know how to do all these different directions the game is supposed to flow in, depending on player choice . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:32:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That will probably be the responsibility of the mechanics and rules peoples working in association with the fluff-generals.

I do like your idea Bookwyrm, and it seems classic enough to get many people interested enough to play it. However, creating something new, and exploring previously unknown territory does have a certain degree of charm as well. I guess the same can also be said for characters in the adventure as well. Something that doesn't always 'conform' to the standard dwarven sterotype could be interesting.

I would like to hear other thoughts on this, what others prefer. Do we go with the standard 'dungeon-crawl'/'gruff-and-burly dwarf' imagery, or do we try for something new, only utilising the standard model when appropriate?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I just had a sudden image of a gruff and burly dwarf in a pink tutu . . .

I suppose that we don't want that sort of variation. But it follows that they'd be different from the typical. There aren't many dwarven matriarchal societies, are there? You can have them be a lot 'softer' -- take their art. Usually dwarves like straight, angular lines. How about lots of curves instead? More color? Possibly a greater interest in growing things.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  13:58:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That is an interesting idea Bookwyrm.

I can see a stern and determined female dwarf-queen leading an army of dwarven fighters into a grand melee. Also, perhaps with a female at the helm, the dwarven clan is more inclined to diplomacy rather than unpredictable battle. This in itself would generate a certain measure of interesting and unexplored role-play, as well as fluff.

After all I really don't want to see this adventure turn into the regular 'let's-go-and-smash-this-orc-stronghold-and-liberate-our-home' storyline. It is simply too predictable.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  14:28:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I will soon be posting some basic material for this adventure that both my gaming group and I have been going through. It should be finished soon. Although I would just like to know whether anybody else has had any good ideas since this scroll seems to have been inactive for a while.

The material I will post will be specifically for improvement and suggestions made by those here who wish to contribute. Hopefully it will be enough to get this project started.

Go to Top of Page

stoltzVI
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  22:10:35  Show Profile  Visit stoltzVI's Homepage Send stoltzVI a Private Message
Glad to hear that things are moving along even though this place has been rather silent lately. Recently returned from a vacation in holland and england, so this site kinda got set on the back-burner for a while.

As of now I can`t really think of anything special (might have to re-read the entire thread again. Looking forward to seeing some starter material to get those braincells working again, they`ve been rather inactive for the last two weeks!

Better warn you though, I have a severe tendency to say things like : "yeah, that`s cool, but if we add this and that and this and that and then some of that and expand it over there and some of this and some of that then it would be even cooler" (a slight problem with restraining myself, makes dm`ing a hassle I`ll tell ya! )

can`t wait to get this started, I`ll finally have something to do on this island i`m forced to spend my summer vacation on (lack of money isn`t fun, but hey, home is where the free food is)!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  02:13:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, I would prefer it if some people said something like "yeah, that`s cool, but if we add this and that and this and that and then some of that and expand it over there and some of this and some of that then it would be even cooler" with regards to the material which will be posted. It will help to create and promote new and strange ideas and directions for the adventure.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  06:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Hmm . . . strange ideas . . . gee, I wonder who's likely to come up with some of those? Oh, right -- me!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  07:34:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I think maybe the dragon has not had enough sleep,...eh Bookwyrm? .

Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  01:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message

Greetings all, I have just joined this forum and have spent the past couple hours reading this entire thread. I'm relatively new to this in a sense and old in another (long explaination) I'm rather Eager to be involved in this in a sort of detached manner if it's not too late. I am quite enthusiastic to the ideas given so far and would like to be allowed into your group for the purposes of adding "tweaks" to your fluff if I come up with any ideas that you all might enjoy. so far everything seems to be quite interesting and I could easily find myself involved in this. I'm still in the early parts of a learning curve for the numbers and rules, I've only just started adventuring with pencil and dice.
The idea of twins fighting over the stronghold rulership is quite good, perhaps a small twist in it could be the voice of ones "loving" parter being the instigator in asmuch as putting the idea in his ear that his brother is out to ruin him... or exile him if he loses rulership...? perhaps if said dwarf is exiled, he could be the one to bring back a band of adventurers to reclaim his spot.. (potential hook..) anyhow, I look forward to keeping up with this thread, and would like to know what you all think of my early ideas, and if I could be welcomed into your circle..?

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  05:44:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I would indeed welcome any input you may have for such a project as this. Many of the scribes (myself included) who have contributed to this scroll have many other porjects going at the moment, so progress on this particular idea has stalled for a period. I will shortly be contributing some portions of my draft for this idea soon, since I am now approaching the end of my exam and study period, and I will start having greater amounts of spare time.

If you have any ideas that you wish to see worked into this adventure, besides those that you have already mentioned, post them here, and I am sure one of the scribes here will make a comment on it.

Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  06:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message
I appreciate your welcoming me into this group and perhaps after I read your addition I'll have some brainwaves that can add to it

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  14:54:43  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
I know that we were leaning toward the Great Rift as the setting for this adventure, but as I was reading the FRCS I noticed that there are dwarves there already. So I'm wondering would this be a good place since there is already a Dwarven Realm in the Great Rift?

As an alternative to the Great Rift (if it is decided to change) how about the setting being around Vaasa or nearby. I'm not sure what is all in that area but I think it is fairly remote.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  15:49:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That's actually an interesting idea. To expand on that, I believe there is a web product that was produced for free download by an FR web community that detailed a special Dwarven nation living in the Vast. I think it was called Dwarven Nation of the Vast. I am going to see if I can locate my copy and see what ideas were contained within. There may be something we can use.

Would anyone be interested in having a look at this file, provided I can find it in my archives?.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000