Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Crypt of the Moaning Diamond: Chapters 6 - 10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  15:50:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Book 4 of the Dungeons series), by Rosemary Jones. Please discuss chapters 6 - 10 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  22:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I got through to chapter 12. I'm sorry to say I think it is getting a bit silly. I haven't read the other dungeon series books and I'm not sure how this tendency can be avoided, but... it seems to be coming down to a bunch of random encounters. Kobolds, invisible fungi, snakes, and flaming skulls are a strange mix.

I hope Ms. Jones will comment on the tone she was going for in this book, but I did not feel much tension in the fights thus far. By the time we reached the flame skull I had already decided they weren't really in much danger, even though I think those guys are supposed to be pretty tough.

To temper this harsh criticism some, I will say have enjoyed the interactions between the Siegebreakers. The straight laced guy serves the purpose of that guy you have to explain everything to so the reader knows what's going on, but in this case I really kind of like him. Mumchance is a fine character though I must disagree with the others here and say that Wiggles isn't doing much for me. I continue to enjoy the sisterly interaction.

I just can't get over the feeling that this tale is being told by Ivy after a few too many drinks long after the events unfolded without any dire results. So long as that's how it ends up, I think I will still be satisfied with my purchase. If something really tragic happens, I think it will be too jarring with the overall tone of the book.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  05:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

Kobolds, invisible fungi, snakes, and flaming skulls are a strange mix.

To temper this harsh criticism some, I will say have enjoyed the interactions between the Siegebreakers. T

Fair enough. The flaming skull could have been tougher.

However, I do maintain that a dungeon without kobolds is not worth visiting.

I thought about doing an in-depth ecology of dungeons explanation: first came the treasure hunters (leaving behind things like the flaming skull), then came the rats (eating the dead treasure hunters and other garbage), then came the snake after the rats (and it grew to be very big as there were a lot of rats), then came the kobolds and invisible fungi looking for snake dinner, and then came...well you'll meet them later.

And then came my poor Siegebreakers who just wanted to do a simple job and got much more than they bargained for!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  21:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit (as I said in another thread) I love all the protagonists, so I'm very, very relieved that so far, no one of them are dead yet. Heck, I even want the dog to be okay (I'm an animal-lover, and I can't stand it when animals die in books or movies).

I am finding the fights to be pretty frequent as well as tense. It's also fun to find out how the heck the Siegebreakers are going to get themselves out of this or that mess. That's not to say that Ozzalum's perspective is wrong, though--everyone reacts to novels differently.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 Feb 2008 21:46:14
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  12:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I thought about doing an in-depth ecology of dungeons explanation:

Well, so long as there was one, I am satisfied.

I have to ask you though, why the invisible fungus creature? That one completely ripped me out of the book with its sheer implausibility, even for DnD. Is it the humorist side of you that made you build up suspense and then deliver "some sort of mushroom, I mean fungus creature, an invisible fungus creature, that moves... and it bit me!"

Definitely a story being told with a few drinks!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  19:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I thought about doing an in-depth ecology of dungeons explanation:

Well, so long as there was one, I am satisfied.

I have to ask you though, why the invisible fungus creature?

Definitely a story being told with a few drinks!

Or by an author who reads the Monster Manuals at 2 a.m., which is when invisible fungus seem like a GREAT idea.

Looking back at my notes, the invisible fungus was always there. Long before Wiggles or some of the other characters. My original idea, besides keeping all the action underground as much as possible, was that the creatures would all be underground creatures. And the fungus worked out beautifully that way.

It also gave the Siegebreakers an opponent that couldn't just be bashed or smashed out of the way. Gunderal HAS to get involved or the fight would go very badly indeed for them. Of course, they could have just cut and run, leaving Zuzzara behind. Like the OTHER GROUP did, leaving behind one dead bugbear.

Only that's not how the Siegebreakers think.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  21:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of an invisible creature that can only be revealed by a certain type of spell is actually pretty creepy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  07:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

it seems to be coming down to a bunch of random encounters. Kobolds, invisible fungi, snakes, and flaming skulls are a strange mix.

It is exactly this that made this book such a great and wonderful read. It's a dungeon romp in the purest sense with a DM that's not out to TPK. I was pretty relieved that the 'breakers only fought the 'baby' fungus, not the mommy one that ate the bugbear. Besides, with a low magic 'campaign' how else are the 'breakers supposed to survive? Just how much damage does a shovel do anyway? 1d4? 1d6?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  11:19:14  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't have a problem with all the different encounters the group have had so far and I don't play dnd, through I do think the make up of the group is a bit too exotic for me. (haven't a clue what a genesi or what creature kid is)

I find it quite funny that Zuzzara has just a shovel to fight foes with ;-)

like the interaction between the heroes ,will ivy and Sanval get it together do I detect some chemistry between them?

and just how many stepmothers have the sisters had?

the gem bomb a cool idea

Edited by - Tremaine on 31 May 2010 11:20:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000