Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Character Age and Levels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  15:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a general rule of thumb for how long it takes to advance in levels in the Realms? As far as I can see it is pretty random except for epic characters who do tend to be pretty old.

For instance, is it unreasonable to have a 10 level character who is in his early 20's?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  15:57:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum
Is there a general rule of thumb for how long it takes to advance in levels in the Realms? As far as I can see it is pretty random except for epic characters who do tend to be pretty old.

I don't think age should have that much to do with how high in levels someone is--it has more to do with how active they are in their adventuring career (or how "active" they are in general).

That being said, making high-level characters too young can stretch belief (like having a character reach lvl 20 before reaching age 20).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  15:59:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to say that there really isn't a clear cut answer to this. :)

Is it unreasonable? Nah, I don't think so. Maybe the character did a lot of killing, learning, etc.

Of course, there is also the exp chart changes from edition to edition. It took longer to level in 2e then it does in 3/3.5e, but a lot of the characters just had their levels carried over except for a few that were modified, and some of those modifications were strange.

Also, in 2e there was no starting age by profession. Humans all had the same starting age die roll, repeat for elves, etc. So you could have started adventuring at around 13 and during those 7 years, maybe the character did a lot of different things that netted him the ten levels.

However, my main argument about age vs level in D&D, going back to 2e when I started DMing, is that a lot of characters and NPC's just seem to shoot up in levels and only a few years have passed, which is why I try to advance the years before PC's get to high of a level. In my email games, I've noticed that that is a real pain to do because the players get a little bored. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  17:06:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I'm an expert or anything, but this is something to which I've given thought and would offer my opinion.

Character levels are really just an expression of how powerful a character is. A fighter's level is a measure of how well the fighter fights. Some people just have incredible natural talent and might be "high level fighters" without a whole lot of background experience (perhaps a lot of training), while some might train for years and years and never really advance.

Wizard levels represent primarily the spells that a character can cast (how many and which ones), and apprentices can emerge from towers able to cast fireballs who've never actually fought even a single goblin. All their xp, I guess, comes from research and practice.

It's also possible to be invested with an uncanny amount of power at any age, and depending on your DM, this could take the form of levels. You could be a non-descript 65 year old woman and suddenly you get blasted with some serious magical mojo that turns you into a 20th level sorcerer. (Of course, there are serious consequences to having that much power, etc., etc., but it can indeed happen.)

When it comes down to it, levels are really just a game mechanic, so that your characters develop and gain power in a consistent and fair way.

As for a typical "pace" of power accumulation, again, that depends on your DM. Some DMs take their characters from level 1 to level 20 in basically a year or two of game time. Some DMs (like Ed for instance) have been playing with the same group for 30+ years and haven't hit 12+ level. It's all a matter of your group and your gaming style.

Remember also that high level people are very, very rare--increasingly rare as they get higher. And that makes sense. Unless the world throws challenges of a perfect level in your way (like in a D&D game), you're liable to advance slower every level--you get less xp for fighting the same monsters and require more to go up in level. People probably gain levels fairly quickly 1-7, slow down in the 8-15 range, and very gradually advance through 16-20.

As for the novels, characters gain power when they need it, as they need it, as the story demands. Generally, there is a certain amount of adventuring/practice/duelling/etc. involved, depicted in the novels or noted in the past, because that's how the game works and the novels reflect the game. That said, all different characters have different paces and power at differen ages.

In my books, for instance, Arya Venkyr is about 24 years of age, has been adventuring for around 8 years, and is 7th-ish level. The ghostwalker has been doing his thing for 15 years and is 14-15th level (or so). Sounds fairly even at a rate of 1 level a year.

Meanwhile, the Fox-at-Twilight is around 16th level, I should think, and she's pretty young for an elf (somewhere between 80-120 years of age). Then again, she's also been adventuring for quite some time in her past, probably 3 times as long as the ghostwalker, who is of comparable level. Her situation is somewhat like that of Drizzt, who has been adventuring/training basically all his life and at age 80 is 17-18th level.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  17:38:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A level a month *wink*

No there are no guidelines at all, experience IRL depends on what a person has to deal with. The same applies to PCs.

As far as Ed's game going for 30 years, this does not need to mean the characters are 30 years older. Depending on style of play one game sesion could reflect a single day in the life of the PCs. More often a week (sometimes a month can be covered when party is in safe place to heal, reseach etc.).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  17:42:42  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be nearly impossible to make a rule for this, as it would depend on the individual characters background. One could give an estimate in a rulebook, but I have a feeling that it would be seen as an ideal or a rule by many people. It is better to just let each player/group find this out for them selves.
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  17:59:01  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how do you know when your chracters can level up is there a point value on each monster (meaning if iam at 995 exp.and i need to reach a thousand to reach my next level,and i kill a monster thats worth 5 exp does this mean i level up to my next level. is this how leveling up works.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  18:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

how do you know when your chracters can level up is there a point value on each monster (meaning if iam at 995 exp.and i need to reach a thousand to reach my next level,and i kill a monster thats worth 5 exp does this mean i level up to my next level. is this how leveling up works.

It really depends on your DM. Most DMs I know award the XP after a play session, so that is where you would find out that you obtained enough CP to level and that is when you would level up. But other DMs might do it different.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  20:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

As far as Ed's game going for 30 years, this does not need to mean the characters are 30 years older. Depending on style of play one game sesion could reflect a single day in the life of the PCs. More often a week (sometimes a month can be covered when party is in safe place to heal, reseach etc.).

Indeed! For the sake of clarification, what I meant was that some groups spend a year or two taking a group of PCs from level 1 to 20 (or beyond) and some groups spend 30 years taking them to level 10 or so.

It's all about the pace of the game and xp awards should be wedded to the progression that works out best for everyone.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  23:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came to give my two cents in this matter, but Erik have said all, IMO. One example that age donīt count in power level is Raistlin, of Dragonlance - his desire of power and his personal quest put him as a great mage, even as a young.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000