Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Iakhovas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  21:36:21  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all

Just thought I'd pick the collective brains of the Sages here to try assauge my curiosity a little.

Despite the relatively poor opinion of Mel Odom's series of novels, I really like them. But I'm frustrated each time I read them by my own lack of knowledge pertaining to the character Iakhovas.

If I recall the last book correctly, he is a Megalodon, and I searched the Wizard site and was able to glean that this particular creature is mentioned in the Monster Manual II (which I don't have - woe is me).

But he's also a special Megalodon, being mentioned on this site ans favoured of Sekolah and his numero uno as it were.

So any information, or useful links on this character and his true form would be really well received and appreciated

Many thanks,

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  21:51:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought he was like a near-divine wereshark...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  22:25:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, he was THE FIRST megalodon, awarding him special status, and possibly even had a divine rank of 0. Wasn't he 'knockin' boots' with Umberlee as well?

He was like a wereshark, as Wooly indicated, but his true form was the Megalodon, not the biped. Sort of a reverse lycanthrope, as it were.

I like the concept that the very first of any species should have similar 'benefits'. It's cool, and it is sort of on par with Marvel Comics "Elders of the Universe", except in their case, they were awarded powers by being the LAST of their species.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  22:32:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember having this conversation WAY back when I first got to Candlekeep. According to 3.5 rules the closest approximation is that he is a wereshark, but under long standing tradition, being a shark that can turn into a humanoid and not passing on your abilities via lycanthropy would make him a sharkwere.

I don't think the DR 0 would be too far off in this case either.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  00:09:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Cloak & Dagger and the new Waterdeep sourcebook state that Iakhovas was a wereshark. He was also called a wereshark in the trilogy itself, as I recall. Regardless, I would say that he may have actually been a particularly powerful variant of the wereshark race. He was said to have been a former lover of Umberlee -- so it's entirely possible he had some "divine assistance" at some point in his life.

Tom Costa offered some thoughts of his own on how to represent Iakhavos's "special" status through the rules:-

"You might go with a were-dire shark (IMO) wizard, with either some sort of chosen template or perhaps the half-fiend template (though that wouldn't be quite accurate)."

And,

"Weresharks were updated in Lost Empires of Faerun as well.

That said, I really like the idea of a dire sharkwere with levels of sorcerer and perhaps some chosen/half-fiend abilities (you could always use powers listed for Sekolah'avatar and clerics in the 2E Monster Mythology and the 2E Sahuagin books for inspiration)."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Oct 2007 00:11:21
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was called a megalodon in the third book, IIRC. I, too, enjoyed the series.

And I am also comfortable with the DR 0 notion... he had a great deal of power, a great deal of experience and a history with the Bitch Queen... Definitely someone significant.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:12:56  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Megalodon was a real creature in our world. A super sized Jaws of the prehistoric world. Recent guesses put this beast at 15.9 m (52.1 feet) long and the body mass of about 48 tons. Other guesses put it at 16 m (52.5 feet) long. It's teeth were 17.78 cm (7 inch) long in slant.

It is probably lived between about 16 to 2 million years ago. It is the biggest known carnivorous fish to have ever lived. Earlier guesses of size suggest it could be 30 m (100 feet) long.

Facts from Wikipedia.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

A Megalodon was a real creature in our world. A super sized Jaws of the prehistoric world. Recent guesses put this beast at 15.9 m (52.1 feet) long and the body mass of about 48 tons. Other guesses put it at 16 m (52.5 feet) long. It's teeth were 17.78 cm (7 inch) long in slant.

It is probably lived between about 16 to 2 million years ago. It is the biggest known carnivorous fish to have ever lived. Earlier guesses of size suggest it could be 30 m (100 feet) long.

Facts from Wikipedia.

Scary. But I wonder if it was bigger than the Whale Shark (which isn't carnivorous).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Oct 2007 02:16:28
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  17:05:20  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too really enjoyed the Threat From the Sea series. I have always wanted to see Iakhovas statted out properly. I think however with some of the statting I've seen done in 3E+ Realms material (wasn't Blackstaff a better at painting than spellcraft iirc?) I'll just build my own as my home campaign is JUST arriving to that point in the Realms time-line and when my group of stalwarts face the incursion of sea critters in Waterdeep. A chance encounter with Iakhovas on his way out of the city might prove interesting. I hold many of my fellow scribes within these hallowed walls in high esteem and would love to see some different "home brewed" Iakhovas builds. Avast and have at it yee mates!

On a different note, yet still concerning the Threat From the Sea series....was it just me of did the rainbow shield toting paladin Jerinth who always seemed to have a pink glow (I know Lathander is all about the rose colored hue and all...but still!)and continually rebuffed the female mage's advances yet was often swelling with pride at his paladin mentor kinda creep you out too? Maybe it was just me.

Not to mention when I saw Jerinth statted out in Dragon Magazine he looked to me as rather underpowered.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 09 Oct 2007 17:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  18:49:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I wanted him to turn out to be a Paladin of Umberlee!

I thought it would be a hell of a twist, and fit the backstory better (Umberlee hated Iakhovas, not Lathander).

I know it would have been a total oddity, but what was a Drow Ranger of Mielikki when we first met him?

Can't the Bitch Queen have a single-minded holy warrior dedicated to enforcing people's respect for the sea (and her)?

The alignment difference would be strange, but if he were to concentrate on the 'law' aspect of a Paladin it could have been a great little twist at the end of the series.

Lathander was just so... predictable.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  19:34:11  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say the image of him becoming a paladin didn't sit well with me at all. I know it's totally biased, subjective and most likely wrong, but my image of a paladin has always been a full plate wearing, oversized giant sword wielding defender of light replete with glowing lights and some overly pious catchphrase on his lips. The idea of a sailor paladin who spends a great deal of time fighting with a cutlass and hook doesn't fit into my perfect mould (and so little does I'm sure for most).

I think a paladin, or a chosen perhaps of Umberlee or something along those lines would have been amazing. 'Some' link with the ocean at least - but during my searching for Iakhovas information I stumlbed on many reviews which I have to actually give credence too in that there are many interesting plot points and developments which are never fully explored. But alas, such is the way of things.

Just a quick word of thanks for all the replies here. As always, I am duly humbled by the amassed knowledge here and a special word of the thanks to the ever-present and ever-wonderful Sage for some source books I might peruse.

Thank you kindly

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  14:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jherek, his name was Jherek.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  17:24:31  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warrax

Jherek, his name was Jherek.

Thank you Warrax. Though whatever his name is....that dude has issues.
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  08:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I always thought he was like a near-divine wereshark...

F4/illusionist 12, Advanced Were-Megalodon Paragon Human
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  13:31:23  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unique advanced 30 HD sharkwere elder evil. Enjoy

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  12:11:58  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should I hang my head in shame if the first thought I had was "Brian R. James" when seeing the title of the thread? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  13:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

Unique advanced 30 HD sharkwere elder evil. Enjoy

Coming to think of it... maybe he was a lich?
I mean, referred to as undead when the little maleti found him, and when the eye was struck and he just blew up, that kinda did look like how a author would view it when a liches phylacetry is destroyed...

Never mind ofcourse that the lich isnt destroyed, just living on borrowed time, but then again.. spells etc creatures effects rarely do translate entirely accurately into novels.
Like giants going down with a single swordstrike, mindflayers with a regular crossbowbolt etc :P
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  15:05:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Should I hang my head in shame if the first thought I had was "Brian R. James" when seeing the title of the thread? ;)

I had a similar thought.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  15:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe. I used to pick my internet aliases based on Realms villains. I was Tyranthraxus on the old REALMS-L mailserv, for instance. At the time Iakhovas was my favorite antagonist so it made sense to go with shark-boy for my WotC alias.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  19:11:29  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we're talking about Shark-boy, what was his legacy? I mean, his war must have left a rather large impact on the undersea community long after the war itelf ended.

By the way, I really loved his title. "The Taker". That's a perfect title for a shark.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  19:17:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was his legacy? Sharkfin soup became very popular!

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  21:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Hehe. I used to pick my internet aliases based on Realms villains. I was Tyranthraxus on the old REALMS-L mailserv, for instance. At the time Iakhovas was my favorite antagonist so it made sense to go with shark-boy for my WotC alias.

Sorry for "stealing' your old nick name. 'T' is, and will always be my favorite villain
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  01:01:09  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a good bad-guy, I agree :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000