Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6357 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2021 :  14:48:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm unsure if that is still true as Ed Greenwood wrote a novella set in the Borderkingdoms.

If you provided a page of brief character stats for 5e at the back I'm sure you could claim it was not a novel.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2021 :  16:49:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I'm unsure if that is still true as Ed Greenwood wrote a novella set in the Borderkingdoms.

If you provided a page of brief character stats for 5e at the back I'm sure you could claim it was not a novel.



Nope. A novel with a stats appendix is still a novel.

It DMG is accepting fiction, I'd be more likely to do a novella than a novel.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6357 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2021 :  21:13:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked with Ed, looks like DMs Guild is not accepting any novels. In order for something to not be classed as a novel it requires more crunchy bits than fluffy bits.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2022 :  22:14:40  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine!

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions (whenever you have the time).

- Did Tzigone and Matteo have any children and, if so, would their descendant be the current King/Queen in present day Halruaa?

- I love Sun Elves and was wondering, was Tintageer the only sun elf realm in Faerie?

- Last but not least... are you able to shed any light on where Amlaruil is?

Thank you so much Elaine! 'Evermeet' and your Halruaa trilogy are still some of my favorite books.


Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2022 :  22:56:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Naeryndam. Thanks for the kind words re Evermeet and Halrua!

quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Hi Elaine!

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions (whenever you have the time).

- Did Tzigone and Matteo have any children and, if so, would their descendant be the current King/Queen in present day Halruaa?


They did not--at least, not with each other. It is my opinion that Matteo and Tzigone remained close but platonic friends throughout their lives.

quote:


- I love Sun Elves and was wondering, was Tintageer the only sun elf realm in Faerie?




The lore on Faerie was written after my time in the Realms. I haven't kept up with new developments, so unfortunately, I don't have the information needed to answer this question.

quote:

- Last but not least... are you able to shed any light on where Amlaruil is?



I don't know what Amlaruil's Official Story is, if indeed there is one, but I would imagine that she finally moved on to Arvandor. It's interesting that the lore is so vague on this question. She was an important figure in the Realms for a very long time, and yet her departure is explained with, "Nope, not there anymore. Move along--nothing to see here."

Perhaps someday the story will be told of Evermeet's strange departure from the Realms, her sojourn in the realm of Faerie, and her eventual return--along with the story of what became of her queen and who's running the show now.

(If by chance the Powers That Be are considering such a tale, I just MIGHT be available....)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2022 :  23:00:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Well, there's the cover, all we need now is all the words that go inside it :)



The words exist. Kinda sorta. I wrote about half the story, and I still have the file. If the opportunity arises, I would love to finish it.

But it would, of necessity, be a very different story. For one thing, much time has passed and the Realms has moved on. For another, the moonblade lore experienced some significant shifts while I was writing the novel, which pretty much cut the legs out from under the plot. The book I'd planned to write couldn't be written, but there are many ways to tell a tell, and Arilyn is nothing if not resilient.



Wouldn't mind the other half-done ones as well. P.S. Forget what they did with the rest of the realms. I know I try to :)



Somehow I missed this comment. Apologies for the long delay in responding!

There are only ("only!") two half-finished novels: Reclamation and The Serpent's Daughter.
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2022 :  00:26:36  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for such a quick reply Elaine!

Someday, if FR novels or even short stories ever become a 'thing' again, I would love to hear about the lives of Matteo and Tzigone. Not to mention what happened to Amlaruil, Lamruil and the mysterious realm of Auseriel, etc.

Halruaa and Evermeet are my two favorite places in the Realms, largely because of the life you breathed into them. I hope that there will come a day when I can read about them again, even with new characters and in a new era.


Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2023 :  10:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Mrs. Cunningham. I was curious if you happened to know what year (roughly) Amnestria Moonflower was born. I was always curious, especially after reading through parts of Elfshadow and Silver Shadows once more. I also would like to add that it's actually because of your wonderful stories (which will always be canon in my campaigns) that I've started playing and DMing Forgotten Realms once more. Also, thank you for all of the wonderful stories you've given us to enjoy. They remain to this day my favorites of all the Realms stories I've read.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2024 :  23:02:52  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was curious why those sample chapters of "The serpent's daughter" that were once posted here have disappeared.

I still have those saved to my PC and have been asked multiple times on facebook to post them for fellow fans dying of thirst for Danilo/Arilyn stuff. But since they were removed here I did not feel comfortable posting them elsewhere
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2024 :  20:52:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I was curious why those sample chapters of "The serpent's daughter" that were once posted here have disappeared.

I still have those saved to my PC and have been asked multiple times on facebook to post them for fellow fans dying of thirst for Danilo/Arilyn stuff. But since they were removed here I did not feel comfortable posting them elsewhere



Hi, Firestorm.

I don't recall why those chapters were removed, whether by my request or forum policy, but to be honest, they shouldn't have been posted in the first place. Posting teasers is a valid marketing tactic when is book is in the pipeline, but it might run afoul of current NDA guidelines, especially now, when the story is long dead. In addition, it's quite likely that the chapters might contain details that contradict official lore published in the past 12 years. Continuity is important, and I would hate to contribute to the muddying of the waters.

For all these reasons, thank you for asking before sharing them elsewhere. I appreciate your consideration, and your discretion in keeping these files solely for your own use.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2024 :  20:57:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Hello, Mrs. Cunningham. I was curious if you happened to know what year (roughly) Amnestria Moonflower was born. I was always curious, especially after reading through parts of Elfshadow and Silver Shadows once more. I also would like to add that it's actually because of your wonderful stories (which will always be canon in my campaigns) that I've started playing and DMing Forgotten Realms once more. Also, thank you for all of the wonderful stories you've given us to enjoy. They remain to this day my favorites of all the Realms stories I've read.



Thank you for your question, Joran. I don't recall offhand, and, unfortunately, I no longer have the copious notes I gathered when writing Evermeet. I did have a detailed timeline at one point, but honestly? Your guess is probably as good as mine.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11742 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2024 :  15:25:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious Elaine ..... would you ever have dreamed that the long time devotion to the lore your novels brought to the realms would be carried forward this long? I just mention because as I look back it seems like just a blink of my eye that these books came out, and then I start doing the math and realize that it was half my life ago. I've forgotten so much that I've read about this world as time passed, and in coming here I realize just how much lore I also glossed over and never fully absorbed in the first place. I've strongly thought about going back and rereading Evermeet several times in the last few years for the fun of it, before my old eyes start failing, and I'm continually driven to other things by life, social commitments, work, etc...

All this to somewhat say, it seems to me that you were only publishing for a handful of years in the realms (not sure how many), but your impact has lived so long past (much like how I feel that the works of Ed, Steven Schend, and Eric L. Boyd have lasted so long as well). It must feel weird on some level, because you've got other projects in path.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2024 :  16:45:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just curious Elaine ..... would you ever have dreamed that the long time devotion to the lore your novels brought to the realms would be carried forward this long? I just mention because as I look back it seems like just a blink of my eye that these books came out, and then I start doing the math and realize that it was half my life ago. I've forgotten so much that I've read about this world as time passed, and in coming here I realize just how much lore I also glossed over and never fully absorbed in the first place. I've strongly thought about going back and rereading Evermeet several times in the last few years for the fun of it, before my old eyes start failing, and I'm continually driven to other things by life, social commitments, work, etc...

All this to somewhat say, it seems to me that you were only publishing for a handful of years in the realms (not sure how many), but your impact has lived so long past (much like how I feel that the works of Ed, Steven Schend, and Eric L. Boyd have lasted so long as well). It must feel weird on some level, because you've got other projects in path.



You know, I don't think I ever gave much thought to longevity. It's impossible to predict what stories will strike a chord in the moment, much less over time. Since I can't control this, I just do the best I can and leave the rest to the readers.

Elfshadow, my first novel, was published in 1991. That's 33 years ago. My last project was a collection of my short fiction, published in 2007, for a 16-year span. But since 17 years have elapsed since then, yes, I am sometimes a little surprised by the continuing interest in these characters and their stories.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2024 :  17:27:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Hello, Mrs. Cunningham. I was curious if you happened to know what year (roughly) Amnestria Moonflower was born. I was always curious, especially after reading through parts of Elfshadow and Silver Shadows once more. I also would like to add that it's actually because of your wonderful stories (which will always be canon in my campaigns) that I've started playing and DMing Forgotten Realms once more. Also, thank you for all of the wonderful stories you've given us to enjoy. They remain to this day my favorites of all the Realms stories I've read.




--Eric
Thank you for your question, Joran. I don't recall offhand, and, unfortunately, I no longer have the copious notes I gathered when writing Evermeet. I did have a detailed timeline at one point, but honestly? Your guess is probably as good as mine.




George and I have been putting together some birth and death dates for members of the Moonflower clan. Our current guess is that Amnestria was born in the Year of the Lover's Eyes (1109 DR).

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 27 Mar 2024 17:27:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2024 :  23:33:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I was curious why those sample chapters of "The serpent's daughter" that were once posted here have disappeared.

I still have those saved to my PC and have been asked multiple times on facebook to post them for fellow fans dying of thirst for Danilo/Arilyn stuff. But since they were removed here I did not feel comfortable posting them elsewhere



Hi, Firestorm.

I don't recall why those chapters were removed, whether by my request or forum policy, but to be honest, they shouldn't have been posted in the first place. Posting teasers is a valid marketing tactic when is book is in the pipeline, but it might run afoul of current NDA guidelines, especially now, when the story is long dead. In addition, it's quite likely that the chapters might contain details that contradict official lore published in the past 12 years. Continuity is important, and I would hate to contribute to the muddying of the waters.

For all these reasons, thank you for asking before sharing them elsewhere. I appreciate your consideration, and your discretion in keeping these files solely for your own use.



As I recall, it was by request. It certainly wasn't a forum policy issue.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2024 :  16:54:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I was curious why those sample chapters of "The serpent's daughter" that were once posted here have disappeared.

I still have those saved to my PC and have been asked multiple times on facebook to post them for fellow fans dying of thirst for Danilo/Arilyn stuff. But since they were removed here I did not feel comfortable posting them elsewhere



Hi, Firestorm.

I don't recall why those chapters were removed, whether by my request or forum policy, but to be honest, they shouldn't have been posted in the first place. Posting teasers is a valid marketing tactic when is book is in the pipeline, but it might run afoul of current NDA guidelines, especially now, when the story is long dead. In addition, it's quite likely that the chapters might contain details that contradict official lore published in the past 12 years. Continuity is important, and I would hate to contribute to the muddying of the waters.

For all these reasons, thank you for asking before sharing them elsewhere. I appreciate your consideration, and your discretion in keeping these files solely for your own use.



As I recall, it was by request. It certainly wasn't a forum policy issue.



Yes, that sounds about right. Don't mind me--I'm about 15 months into "long Covid" and the brain fog is only just starting to lift.
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

136 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2024 :  04:43:18  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Yes, that sounds about right. Don't mind me--I'm about 15 months into "long Covid" and the brain fog is only just starting to lift.



That sounds absolutely horrible, that thing can really destroy your life. I hope things keep improving for you!

Edited by - Athreeren on 01 Apr 2024 04:43:51
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2024 :  18:04:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, I finally posted the first installment of DESTINY MUSIC, which was supposed to be a short story but is looking more like a novella-length serial.

This introduces Zeeka Jade, a half-orc bard, and is set in a newly created fantasy world. This is high magic, old school sword-and-sorcery fantasy, of the sort that will be very familiar to Forgotten Realms readers. It will be posted on my website, as soon as I can get around to resurrecting that, but you can read the first scene on my Facebook author page.

https://www.facebook.com/ElaineCunninghamAuthor/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000