Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Deck of Many Things
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2023 :  15:44:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Deck of Many Things Digital + Physical Bundle

It looks like someone at WotC has finally figured out that people like having a physical Deck of Many Things to use in the game.

I am tentatively interested in this, though not for that price tag. And I don't need the digital bundle, since I refused to use DNDBeyond even before the OGL mess (I don't pay for digital content that I can't download locally).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2023 :  16:17:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$100 for a pretty deck of cards is too much.

But I think the real problem is that anyone who buys this D&D product will use this D&D product. The Deck of Many Things always, always breaks and ruins any game it's introduced into.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2023 :  17:18:56  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My teams since the 1980's had a crude bite effective solution. The PCs refused to touch any deck of cards that was not certified non-magical. The same can be said for beans in bags.

I could do without some of the Gygaxian shenanigans. The fact the identify spell often failed with cursed items just penalizes good PC diligence.

Edited by - Delnyn on 13 Aug 2023 17:24:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2023 :  18:36:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

My teams since the 1980's had a crude bite effective solution. The PCs refused to touch any deck of cards that was not certified non-magical. The same can be said for beans in bags.

I could do without some of the Gygaxian shenanigans. The fact the identify spell often failed with cursed items just penalizes good PC diligence.

Even that's not a reliable solution -- one of the places in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep has an issue with a cursed card that keeps coming up, no matter what they do to make sure it's not in use.

I, personally, would allow a PC a chance to determine if an item was cursed. It only makes sense that if they can identify how it functions, then they should be able to identify a major function that isn't desirable. Maybe not any quirks that just happen, but certainly a major negative thing should be detectable.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Aug 2023 18:39:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2023 :  18:41:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

$100 for a pretty deck of cards is too much.

But I think the real problem is that anyone who buys this D&D product will use this D&D product. The Deck of Many Things always, always breaks and ruins any game it's introduced into.

I've never used one, since I've never DM'ed, nor had a chance to use one as a player... I don't know that I'd go as far as saying it's a guaranteed game breaker, but I can certainly see the potential for such, and I don't think I'd use one, as a DM.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2023 :  19:55:01  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paying $1#8304;0 whether US or Canadian reminds me of the adage, "A fool and his money are soon parred.' Hard pass on this one, especially after I see the lack of respect for FR lore.
EDIT: I would be more flexible and would pay such prices if it meant WoTC had a platoon of George Krashos verifying lore integrity for all their products.

Edited by - Delnyn on 13 Aug 2023 19:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2023 :  22:50:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Paying $1#8304;0 whether US or Canadian reminds me of the adage, "A fool and his money are soon parred.' Hard pass on this one, especially after I see the lack of respect for FR lore.
EDIT: I would be more flexible and would pay such prices if it meant WoTC had a platoon of George Krashos verifying lore integrity for all their products.

Whilst I agree with you on WotC and FR lore, this isn't a Forgotten Realms product, and there's really no lore concerning the Deck.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2023 :  01:11:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Whilst I agree with you on WotC and FR lore, this isn't a Forgotten Realms product, and there's really no lore concerning the Deck.

Quite true. The Deck is a Gygax AD&D invention.

I recall the full Deck or some scattered cards from it being involved in several modules. None of them specifically set in the Realms.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2023 :  04:48:36  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure "House of Cards," in Dungeon #19, was set in Westgate, and featured a Night Masks headquarters where the doors were sealed by cards from a Deck of Many Things.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2023 :  10:04:17  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a cardboard insert of the cards of the deck of many things in Dragon Magazine 148. I used those until they pretty much disintegrated, then I printed the images which I glued to cardboard. It's a fun thing to have. Like the Tarokka decks in the Ravenloft setting.

Charging 100 bucks for it is a bit cheeky, but not as cheeky as what they tried to pull off on "Alpha Proxy Boosters" for the thirtieth anniversary of Magic: the Gathering.

(Editors' note: I should not say I'd never play 100 bucks for some cards. I do play Magic: the Gathering, after all.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2023 :  11:09:49  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a 'Deck of Many Things' in one of the Icewind Dale RPG's? I don't think it had all of the nefarious events this one has, though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2023 :  12:29:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

There was a cardboard insert of the cards of the deck of many things in Dragon Magazine 148. I used those until they pretty much disintegrated, then I printed the images which I glued to cardboard. It's a fun thing to have. Like the Tarokka decks in the Ravenloft setting.

Charging 100 bucks for it is a bit cheeky, but not as cheeky as what they tried to pull off on "Alpha Proxy Boosters" for the thirtieth anniversary of Magic: the Gathering.

(Editors' note: I should not say I'd never play 100 bucks for some cards. I do play Magic: the Gathering, after all.

There are existing Decks of Many Things already available, which I'm inclined to think was part of WotC's decision to make one. I know there's multiple Decks on Amazon, and I got a nice one from Kickstarter several years ago.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000