Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Deck of Many Things

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Aug 2023 : 15:44:34
The Deck of Many Things Digital + Physical Bundle

It looks like someone at WotC has finally figured out that people like having a physical Deck of Many Things to use in the game.

I am tentatively interested in this, though not for that price tag. And I don't need the digital bundle, since I refused to use DNDBeyond even before the OGL mess (I don't pay for digital content that I can't download locally).
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Aug 2023 : 12:29:15
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

There was a cardboard insert of the cards of the deck of many things in Dragon Magazine 148. I used those until they pretty much disintegrated, then I printed the images which I glued to cardboard. It's a fun thing to have. Like the Tarokka decks in the Ravenloft setting.

Charging 100 bucks for it is a bit cheeky, but not as cheeky as what they tried to pull off on "Alpha Proxy Boosters" for the thirtieth anniversary of Magic: the Gathering.

(Editors' note: I should not say I'd never play 100 bucks for some cards. I do play Magic: the Gathering, after all.

There are existing Decks of Many Things already available, which I'm inclined to think was part of WotC's decision to make one. I know there's multiple Decks on Amazon, and I got a nice one from Kickstarter several years ago.
ElfBane Posted - 15 Aug 2023 : 11:09:49
Wasn't there a 'Deck of Many Things' in one of the Icewind Dale RPG's? I don't think it had all of the nefarious events this one has, though.
Thauramarth Posted - 15 Aug 2023 : 10:04:17
There was a cardboard insert of the cards of the deck of many things in Dragon Magazine 148. I used those until they pretty much disintegrated, then I printed the images which I glued to cardboard. It's a fun thing to have. Like the Tarokka decks in the Ravenloft setting.

Charging 100 bucks for it is a bit cheeky, but not as cheeky as what they tried to pull off on "Alpha Proxy Boosters" for the thirtieth anniversary of Magic: the Gathering.

(Editors' note: I should not say I'd never play 100 bucks for some cards. I do play Magic: the Gathering, after all.
Stones Finder Posted - 15 Aug 2023 : 04:48:36
The adventure "House of Cards," in Dungeon #19, was set in Westgate, and featured a Night Masks headquarters where the doors were sealed by cards from a Deck of Many Things.
Ayrik Posted - 14 Aug 2023 : 01:11:54
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Whilst I agree with you on WotC and FR lore, this isn't a Forgotten Realms product, and there's really no lore concerning the Deck.

Quite true. The Deck is a Gygax AD&D invention.

I recall the full Deck or some scattered cards from it being involved in several modules. None of them specifically set in the Realms.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Aug 2023 : 22:50:02
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Paying $1#8304;0 whether US or Canadian reminds me of the adage, "A fool and his money are soon parred.' Hard pass on this one, especially after I see the lack of respect for FR lore.
EDIT: I would be more flexible and would pay such prices if it meant WoTC had a platoon of George Krashos verifying lore integrity for all their products.

Whilst I agree with you on WotC and FR lore, this isn't a Forgotten Realms product, and there's really no lore concerning the Deck.
Delnyn Posted - 13 Aug 2023 : 19:55:01
Paying $1#8304;0 whether US or Canadian reminds me of the adage, "A fool and his money are soon parred.' Hard pass on this one, especially after I see the lack of respect for FR lore.
EDIT: I would be more flexible and would pay such prices if it meant WoTC had a platoon of George Krashos verifying lore integrity for all their products.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Aug 2023 : 18:41:21
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

$100 for a pretty deck of cards is too much.

But I think the real problem is that anyone who buys this D&D product will use this D&D product. The Deck of Many Things always, always breaks and ruins any game it's introduced into.

I've never used one, since I've never DM'ed, nor had a chance to use one as a player... I don't know that I'd go as far as saying it's a guaranteed game breaker, but I can certainly see the potential for such, and I don't think I'd use one, as a DM.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Aug 2023 : 18:36:18
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

My teams since the 1980's had a crude bite effective solution. The PCs refused to touch any deck of cards that was not certified non-magical. The same can be said for beans in bags.

I could do without some of the Gygaxian shenanigans. The fact the identify spell often failed with cursed items just penalizes good PC diligence.

Even that's not a reliable solution -- one of the places in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep has an issue with a cursed card that keeps coming up, no matter what they do to make sure it's not in use.

I, personally, would allow a PC a chance to determine if an item was cursed. It only makes sense that if they can identify how it functions, then they should be able to identify a major function that isn't desirable. Maybe not any quirks that just happen, but certainly a major negative thing should be detectable.
Delnyn Posted - 13 Aug 2023 : 17:18:56
My teams since the 1980's had a crude bite effective solution. The PCs refused to touch any deck of cards that was not certified non-magical. The same can be said for beans in bags.

I could do without some of the Gygaxian shenanigans. The fact the identify spell often failed with cursed items just penalizes good PC diligence.
Ayrik Posted - 13 Aug 2023 : 16:17:54
$100 for a pretty deck of cards is too much.

But I think the real problem is that anyone who buys this D&D product will use this D&D product. The Deck of Many Things always, always breaks and ruins any game it's introduced into.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000