Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 D&D 4e Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  02:35:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

What I don't fully understand is the strong negative feeling of some toward the new edition in principle, as if it somehow affects their ability to use the 3E materials they have.

Long going campaigns are still trying to adjust 2nd to 3rd in a way that makes sense to players that only know 3.X. We do not know what changes 3 to 4 will have, hopefully minor. However there is some indication that skill ranks disappear to be replaced by another scheme which could make charater conversion unrecognisable. Excelled at disarming traps because even having three class levels, the charater level is much higher and skills points were high. That is game mechanique concern. RP concern involes the above in prepurchase 4th modules. The 3rd Edition Charater will be facing a different foe in skills, feats and posible other changes we do not know about.

Compatibility is an issue, blending 1st thru 3rd becomes a House tule that a new player would have to adjust to. That brand new 4th PHB will be of little use. For new gamers and new DMs prior Edtions mean nothing at all so those that only know or only played 3rd are unlikely to understan the concerns of players in omgoing campaigns trying to adjust to some rather strange changes to their campaign would, because a new class sounds good, but has to be balanced, old charaters might need to lose things to remain in balance.

If onepicks and chooses from all versions and the players are happy with it, there is no discord. In part the problem comes when a new player enters. FR map changed a new player would not expect the old map. Oh this ca be fixed by the DM making a copy of the old map. It though would not stop there, explaination of which rules from each version applies. Each DM could find themselves in a position of writing a mini PHB for the House game.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  02:46:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least the picture of the halfling proves one thing . . . they aren't going for the hip "dungeonpunk" look anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  02:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
really.

And it looks like Roberc, of the Bladesinger novel, don't you think?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And I don't recall what it was, but when asked about something specific that was changed, the answer was along the lines of "I just felt like changing it."

Xara Tantlor, from the Silver Marches region (went from NG to NE with no in-setting explanation)?

I want to say my impression of the current design direction for the FR setting definitely chimes with what Wooly is saying.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Aug 2007 03:02:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, at least the picture of the halfling proves one thing . . . they aren't going for the hip "dungeonpunk" look anymore.

Well, that's a good thing. I hope the anime-style characters are no longer in fashion, either...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
Fixed
That post was made of stupid.

God I hope Reynolds is in on the next FRCS, if only to make the people willing to insult game designers expose themselves for the jerks they are.

I'll get some enjoyment out of it, then.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 17 Aug 2007 03:14:19
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, that's it. No more shots at each other, no more personal attacks, no more names. I've had enough and everyone here has been here long enough to know how to have a civil discourse. Let's straigten up and try to have a discussion instead of scoring points with name calling and personal attacks.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:26:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the site is kinda working, it appears they are bringing back weapon types. It will matter what weapon you use in combat.

It also appears I am expected to login, but they still might be fixing bugs.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Well the site is kinda working,

It is? :-/

quote:
it appears they are bringing back weapon types. It will matter what weapon you use in combat.

Where'd you read that?

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:46:02  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

"Paladins" should be like Clerics and be open to all alignments

Blasphemy! How dare you?!?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:47:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a "classes" blog entry on the site (when it was working) that mentioned that fighters learn different maneuvers (similar to the ones in Tome of Battle) and that different maneuvers will be available depending on what kind of weapon a fighter specializes in.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was a "classes" blog entry on the site (when it was working) that mentioned that fighters learn different maneuvers (similar to the ones in Tome of Battle) and that different maneuvers will be available depending on what kind of weapon a fighter specializes in.

I guess that's the problem--the site's acting funny.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Aug 2007 03:54:18
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:54:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Well the site is kinda working,

It is? :-/

I got in for a few minutes, with my non image browser. It is out again
quote:

quote:
it appears they are bringing back weapon types. It will matter what weapon you use in combat.

Where'd you read that?

On the site, alas when I used image enabled browser it stalled and site went off line again.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks anyway. Hopefully the site will be more accessable when the initial craze dies down.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:59:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well that sounds simple and quicker, break out the golf bag again?

Perhaps called shots are back?

It does not sound too attractive what little I seen, but of course I can not see much right now. It might not be that bad, feats allowed an attack bonus if using a specific weapon (trained in) so the change might not be much at all.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:05:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza
The FRCS was the only big seller in the Realms line. Why do you think they barely converted the Realms to 3E? They weren't making any money on it.
You think Wizards would release four big Realms sourcebooks each year for seven straight years while not making any money?

Big? Sorry, but what Wizard of the Coast put out as far as the Realms is concerned is barely anything. Other companies, smaller companies at that have put out more material in more time. It's about getting the talent there to make the books. Make the books cheapter to make, ditch the glossy, ditch the unnecessary color. The Malhavoc books are perfect examples of high quality books with low production costs.

Wizards could be putting out 6-8 books Realms supplements a year, instead they only put out 4 because they can't risk anything else because they have to see a return on the book.

Wizard runs on a tight budget, it's been this way since Hasbro took them over. Before that they took a lot of risks. Look at their track record since, it's 1:1 every year for D&D. One product line gets replaced with another because Hasbro doesn't give them to money to take chance, they have a bottom line and they must make money on every product or else the bean counters come firing.

The proof is there. Wizards stopped producing campaigns and adventures because they weren't selling. Why can they do it now (you ask)? Well, they have Miniature profits to float on, something they didn't originally have.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:09:40  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

It's make being a blackguard a whole lot easier. Take the cleric's ability to inflict or cure spontaneously. Choice. Take the ranger's ranged vs dual wield. Choice.

Give the paladin a good or evil chain. IF the paladin falls (turns evil or turns good) then they have to "redeem" themselves or quest to convert to the new way.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:17:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why should being a blackguard be made easier?

Though the BD&D had Paladin and Advenger both subjected to same basic rules (though the Advenger had to pay an evil Cleric for blessings to be evil, I suspect that was TSR desire to make it hard for PCs to become Evil charaters).

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:57:08  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why should it be hard? An evil paladin is an evil paladin, it shouldn't be a prestige class. If you're playing an evil character.. or playing in an evil campaign.. you should start off as an evil paladin. If you want "Blackguard" to mean something in name, make it into the evil Divine Champion (and make DC something good paladins would want to become.) :P

This isn't TSR and it's code of lawful goodness.

Edited by - SirUrza on 17 Aug 2007 05:00:17
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  05:18:50  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be upset about this if I was not already expecting it. I am excited about it because it seems to me from the press releases and information I have read so far that D&D will go digital age!

I think I speak for a good percent of us here at Candlekeep in saying that the majority of my gaming or gaming related experiences come from contact with the fine folks on this site. Now we can pair off against Alaundo or Sage in a tabletop game without the clunky play-by-post waiting that ruined several on-line groups I participated in over the past few years. New updated rules, bring 'em on, but they also better have quite a bit of extras come from on-line Dragon and Dungeon, and the WOTC website, as they have in printed form. Heck, give me a few basic core books and put everything else in digital format as long as it is accessible and user friendly.

9 months and counting, but I want to be first in line for the Candlekeep role-playing group we can get together. I want to see Alaundo and a few authors joining in. Talk about your selling points for the site!

See you in May 2008 for an 4dventure.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  05:30:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why should it be hard? An evil paladin is an evil paladin, it shouldn't be a prestige class. If you're playing an evil character.. or playing in an evil campaign.. you should start off as an evil paladin. If you want "Blackguard" to mean something in name, make it into the evil Divine Champion (and make DC something good paladins would want to become.) :P

This isn't TSR and it's code of lawful goodness.

D&D (not all RPGs) is made to play adventurous heroes, many things are build around that idea. Knowing that, I can understand that the core rules doesn't support Evil PCs.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  06:47:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well that would be the first good news on the illustration front in, what is it now, seven years? Now a few telephones to Steven Fabian, Larry Elmore and Valerie Valusek and we are rollin'
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  06:53:27  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin
9 months and counting, but I want to be first in line for the Candlekeep role-playing group we can get together. I want to see Alaundo and a few authors joining in. Talk about your selling points for the site!

See you in May 2008 for an 4dventure.

Ok, now I have a good reason to learn how to speak English
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  08:08:31  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

It's make being a blackguard a whole lot easier. Take the cleric's ability to inflict or cure spontaneously. Choice. Take the ranger's ranged vs dual wield. Choice.

Give the paladin a good or evil chain. IF the paladin falls (turns evil or turns good) then they have to "redeem" themselves or quest to convert to the new way.

There are rules for Variant Paladins.

Dragon has released rules for a Paladin of each alignment, and Unearthed Arcana has 3 more there too.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  08:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People, peace! We know next to nothing about the 4E, so no use getting at each others throats and all that over things we have no real clue about. Maybe all will be better and fan-oriented? Maybe the one-step rule goes out of the window and all classes have at least 4 skill points per level? Maybe ... well ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  08:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'm unable to access the site this morning (firewall block rather than an issue with WotC servers, you'll be pleased to hear )... could anyone please confirm if the 3.5 D&D and FR material is still available or if this has been archived off.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  09:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo, I've been trying all day to access the site, without joy. Just keep getting the polite "we're broken right now" message from Wizards.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  10:33:52  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I'm unable to access the site this morning (firewall block rather than an issue with WotC servers, you'll be pleased to hear )... could anyone please confirm if the 3.5 D&D and FR material is still available or if this has been archived off.

I still get the overloaded site page.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  10:34:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

People, peace! We know next to nothing about the 4E, so no use getting at each others throats and all that over things we have no real clue about. Maybe all will be better and fan-oriented? Maybe the one-step rule goes out of the window and all classes have at least 4 skill points per level? Maybe ... well ...

If 4E is like the Saga System for Star Wars, Skill took a big nerf.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  11:04:51  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I still keep gettin the 'We are experiencing Technical Difficulties' thing. Whatever they are doin, they must be redoin everything. I wouldn't be surprised to find a completely new design and set-up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000