Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 D&D 4e Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  17:55:37  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

2 years to go before the publication of the new FRCS is a long way and things can change...
2 years? I was under the impression that the new FRCS would see the light of day at Gen Con Indy 2008, in time for the launching of the Living Forgotten Realms campaign... correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is the case, I wouldn't bank too much on that "things can change" theory...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

2 years to go before the publication of the new FRCS is a long way and things can change...
2 years? I was under the impression that the new FRCS would see the light of day at Gen Con Indy 2008, in time for the launching of the Living Forgotten Realms campaign... correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is the case, I wouldn't bank too much on that "things can change" theory...
Your recollection is correct, PDK: FRCS is due out in August 2008. It's actually the fourth 4E product to come out (excluding teaser products), after PH, MM and DMG--in that order. Apparently, they are releasing books for 4E in the same order of their purchasing power for 3E.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:14:41  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FRCS 4ED arrives in August 2008. About 10-11 months from October.

My guess is that there will be a countdown started some months before that in either the D&D Insider or on the regular D&D site. Perhaps starting between next month and April. About 6-11 months away from the premiere, really depending on if they do a monthly, bi-weekly or weekly update.

They will go through most of the major classes (including spells for Wizards, new tricks for Rogues, Deities for Clerics and weapons specific for Faerun for the Fighters), races (including the question of what to do with subraces like the Eladrin/Elven question for the elven people) and other elements. Like they did for 3ed in Dragon, back when it came out.

So we might get more details for the future, even before August. Or so I think.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Food for thought - someone over at the WotC boards brought up the fact that Candlekeep might be gone a hundred years from now.

So.... should we start throwing around new names now....

How about... Hamsterburg or Furrykeep?

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:33:02  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

quote:

Food for thought - someone over at the WotC boards brought up the fact that Candlekeep might be gone a hundred years from now.

Hey, I'll vote for either one of these!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  19:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Your recollection is correct, PDK: FRCS is due out in August 2008. It's actually the fourth 4E product to come out (excluding teaser products), after PH, MM and DMG--in that order. Apparently, they are releasing books for 4E in the same order of their purchasing power for 3E.
I was under the impression that the next FRCS was due out one year after the release of the 4E books.

I coulda swore I heard something at GenCon to the effect of one campaign setting per year, starting one year after 4E comes out.

But if I'm wrong, all the better. The sooner I get my hands on the new books, the better.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldnt believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  19:13:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

quote:

Hey, I'll vote for either one of these!

I can support either name.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  20:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read some spoilers from GHotR, and I must say that the future of the Realms looks *very* bleak, at least in my opinion.

As I somehow had feared and suspected, Shar's actions will cause Mystra to die, and this will be the cause of the Spellplague. I just wonder why none of the other deities assumes the Portfolio of Magic, which is what always happened before -- why wait for a hundred years? Or will there even be a God/Goddess of Magic after the Spellplague has passed? It seems that Azuth, Velsharoon and Savras will all either perish or pass to the Astral Plane, which would hint that there will be only a single deity of magic, or none.

It also appears that there will a 'harrowing down' of dwarven deities, too. Let me make a bold assumption here: Deep Duerra and Laduguer had to be killed because Psionics will either vanish altogether from 4E or become completely 'optional' or possibly even a 'variant' type of magic. The latter option would indicate that the deity of magic would govern over them.

I *will* definitely buy GHotR, because I know that it's filled with quality Realmslore. And I do not "blame" any of the designers for the events that those rumours or spoilers speak of because, frankly, I believe that they were simply *ordered* to include them in the book (probably by Gleemax, or some WoTC R&D Head Honcho -- who knows?).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  20:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, am I the only one to think that the whole Ku Klux Klan analogy (in 'The Orc King') is actually politically incorrect and *very* insulting and racist in nature? Because I know people who won't like the comparison between black African slaves and orcs (that have always been portrayed as being ugly, stupid and evil). Did WoTC or RAS think about that at all?

Edited by - Asgetrion on 15 Sep 2007 20:38:32
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  20:19:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This whole CCC thing is so one of the worst ideas for the Realms I have ever heard, just so I have said it. Yes, it is worse than the Gillan idea for Netheril even.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  20:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Triteness, bathos and tastelessness come with the 'monsters are people too' idea, I think. It's extremely problematic. Tolkien has been criticized as racist for his orcs, which are inherently inferior to humans (and by their speech identified as working-class), and elves, which are inherently superior. If his 'races' were human ethnicities, or species of sentient beings, those criticisms would be right. But orcs and elves aren't just different kinds of people, they're mythopoetic devices, drawing from demons and angels, overlaid with misleading terms of race.

To flatten metaphysically heightened fantasy into mere realism is what the Clute Encyclopedia calls thinning, which I would call a type of metaphysical entropic death. A literary mode which includes something like realistic people and other, fundamentally different entities is a more powerful storytelling machine than one with just people.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  20:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
However, it's not yet in their hands, since *all* design for the future of the Realms is being done in-house (Rich may be the only guy that has any say in the matter at the moment).

We are therefore doing Wizards a terrific and unearned favour by calling the setting coming in 2008 'the new Realms'. Legally they can call it that, and stamp a Realms logo. Artistically and morally, before seeing it I can't judge whether the new setting deserves to be called 'the Realms' at all.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  22:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The following idea is, IMNSHO, wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. x100 wrong.

quote:

If in a fell swoop, you come and tell me, "Here's how the Realms will be in 100 years" then you've singlehandedly made my life as a DM worthless, as both the players and I now know that whatever we do in our games, it won't affect the Realms a single bit.

I can't believe I'm actually reading this. With 30 something years of gaming history behind us, with the Realms being what, 20 years old as a setting? --and still people actually write that any future product releases automatically overwrite what goes on in their campaigns?

What?

As though the long-standing, indestructable precedent of 'Make it your own' doesn't apply.

As though the Realms couldn't possibly advance in history (even though it will anyway) because people's campaigns are too sacrosanct to meddle with.

As though PCs are all automatically immortal, so the flow of history can't possibly have an effect on their deeds.

::::::

The Realms, its history, its events, its NPCs, etc.. etc.. etc.. are all there for DMs to take, jump off from and build their own campaigns around. That's how the game works..

Subjecting one's campaign to the wills and whims of the setting creators first and foremost is just asking for player-based disappointment, as they watch their spineless DM wipe their efforts clean because some book said so.

A DM can't even say they're letting their players have influence on the setting if 'whatever happens next' will automatically override what the players have done.

quote:

At least with a slow year advancement (as we've seen since the FRCS) I can pace my games to be just behind or after most current events, "surfing the canon wave" so to speak, and make my players feel they're having an influence on the world and be the cause or have a hand in these canon events.
I can appreciate this approach, because I do the same thing. But Im not beholden to this timeline either.

quote:

If the 100-year jump happens, I can see many people 'reverting to their own Realms', which I would hate to see, as this effectively becomes a dead setting.
I can see where youre coming from here. A timeline jump could certainly lead to the first claim you make happening, with the conclusion having a bit more substance to it than the similar 2E to 3E that came about 7 years or so ago.

To wit: Im not going to buy your FRCS because youre changing the Realms into something it isnt! Many (online) people feel this way and since were such a big majority your Third Edition is going to fail and so the Realms is too and its all your fault WotC. ...bleh. Much vitriol at first, but really no more effective than a fart in the wind.

But how about now, between 3E and 4E? Me, I dont think this will happen.

Heres why: If Im having fun with my Realms campaign and Ive got scads of books to draw from, I wont stop playing in it just because the timeline jumps 100 years forward.

But neither would that be the end of the Realms for me. Im a fan of the Realms because its the Realms. Im not going to copout and quit on the setting just because the next FRCS might detail an era other than the one I play in.

My interest in the Realms has always been centered on the fact that it drives my imagination (which in part helps me to be a great Realms Dungeon Master). From day one of opening the Old Grey Box to now, its always been that way. My thirst for knowledge about the Realms and its deep history and my desire to let it all drive my thinking wont go away simply because the next FRCS could jump one century forward.

If anything, it will enhance my experience. The opportunity for new Realmslore will be huge with the time jump. Its too big an opportunity to pass up.

I cant possibly be the only one that still thinks in the traditional (and apparently old fashioned) manner, can I?

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldnt believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 15 Sep 2007 22:22:03
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:01:49  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's actually great opportunity for Ed and Wizards to actually improve the Realms. I, for one, wouldn't complain if they made places like Matzica, Kara-Tur and Al-Qadim disappear, and replaced them with more interesting domains that have greater relevance to mainland Faerun.

Edited by - RodOdom on 15 Sep 2007 23:02:34
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:04:19  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver
The Realms, its history, its events, its NPCs, etc.. etc.. etc.. are all there for DMs to take, jump off from and build their own campaigns around. That's how the game works..

Yup.

Candlekeep may not be the best place to say it, but the problem is that some have made the setting for itself bigger than the game/novel experiences in their mind/heart.

Well that's not really a problem, however, such people can't ask for WoTC/freelancers/authors to do the same.

** Hides before getting shot **

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Sep 2007 23:10:26
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:08:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't believe I'm actually reading this. With 30 something years of gaming history behind us, with the Realms being what, 20 years old as a setting? --and still people actually write that any future product releases automatically overwrite what goes on in their campaigns?

What?

As though the long-standing, indestructable precedent of 'Make it your own' doesn't apply.

As though the Realms couldn't possibly advance in history (even though it will anyway) because people's campaigns are too sacrosanct to meddle with.

As though PCs are all automatically immortal, so the flow of history can't possibly have an effect on their deeds.

Subjecting one's campaign to the wills and whims of the setting creators first and foremost is just asking for player-based disappointment, as they watch their spineless DM wipe their efforts clean because some book said so.

A DM can't even say they're letting their players have influence on the setting if 'whatever happens next' will automatically override what the players have done.

I can see where youre coming from here. A timeline jump could certainly lead to the first claim you make happening, with the conclusion having a bit more substance to it than the similar 2E to 3E that came about 7 years or so ago.

To wit: Im not going to buy your FRCS because youre changing the Realms into something it isnt! Many (online) people feel this way and since were such a big majority your Third Edition is going to fail and so the Realms is too and its all your fault WotC. ...bleh. Much vitriol at first, but really no more effective than a fart in the wind.

Heres why: If Im having fun with my Realms campaign and Ive got scads of books to draw from, I wont stop playing in it just because the timeline jumps 100 years forward.

But neither would that be the end of the Realms for me. Im a fan of the Realms because its the Realms. Im not going to copout and quit on the setting just because the next FRCS might detail an era other than the one I play in.

My interest in the Realms has always been centered on the fact that it drives my imagination (which in part helps me to be a great Realms Dungeon Master). From day one of opening the Old Grey Box to now, its always been that way. My thirst for knowledge about the Realms and its deep history and my desire to let it all drive my thinking wont go away simply because the next FRCS could jump one century forward.

If anything, it will enhance my experience. The opportunity for new Realmslore will be huge with the time jump. Its too big an opportunity to pass up.

I cant possibly be the only one that still thinks in the traditional (and apparently old fashioned) manner, can I?

Once again, thanks for chiming in and telling us not just how to be good DMs, but also how we should feel about things. I know the best thing that can happen when I get upset is for someone to imperiously tell me that my emotional state isn't valid. That changes my whole perspective.

I've been so busy being a spineless DM and waiting for WOTC to approve the potential changes in my campaign world that I didn't have time to think this over logically.

Actually, it does, because while I wasn't happy before, I keep getting upset when these kinds of comments pop up.

Its funny, because I don't hear a lot of people saying that WoTC owes them this or that in the setting, or that 4th edition will flop. I do hear a lot of people saying that as long term fans of the setting these changes won't serve them well and that they aren't interested in participating in it.

As RF pointed out earlier, I've not said I'm leaving the Realms. I'm just not picking up 4th edition Realms products (unless we find out a lot of what we have heard is somehow not accurate, which seems less and less likely with each "leak.")

I don't want to ascribe motives to you, but you seem a lot more invested in convincing those of us that don't seem happy with what we have heard about 4th edition to try it than I or anyone I've seen so far that is against a lot of the 4th edition changes are invested in trying to convince people not to buy 4th edition.

If it works for people, that's great. It doesn't work for me. And after spending 3rd edition being told to "wait and we'll dribble out more Realmslore to you between PrCs and Feats," I'm not going to do it through another edition, and it would be disingenuous to me to ask anyone else to do so.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t if you have noticed it, too, but the WoTC 4E designers and playtesters have been constantly repeating two phrases in their forum and blog posts:

"4th edition will be the best yet because the people working on the game, like the fans, love Dungeons and Dragons." and “I am so immersed in 4e (which is *SO* GREAT and COOL and *FUN*) that I've completely forgotten how 3e works!"

So, are we to assume that all of them who worked on the 3rd Edition did it just for the money? Also note that whether you *love* doing something or not does *not* equate to quality in the end product – I love singing, but I actually have a terrible voice, so I doubt my songs would ever be labelled 'good' or sell even marginally.

As for the second quote, I think they’ve been instructed to say these things for marketing reasons only, because it is a bit rich coming from guys who’re still working on *upcoming* 3e products! If these ‘professional designers’ have *really* forgotten how the game works, WoTC should hand those projects to other guys who haven’t! I don’t know about you but I still remember how to play AD&D – and a dozen other RPGs, too! And I may be wrong, but weren’t they supposed to ‘fix’ in 4E all that people thought was broken in 3e? How are you supposed to do that if you have forgotten all about 3e rules?

Besides all that, I find their marketing tactics to be a bit immature and apparently targeted at 10-year old kids ("Your characters will be able to do some *REALLY REALLY COOL* stuff in 4E!"). Why, I’d *really really* like to see some concrete info about the mechanics beyond some 'vaguely' written playtest reports and constant praises, thank you! As far as I understand it, their ‘core message’ seems to be: "Believe us – D&D will be *better* than ever! Uhhh… we’ll post some stuff soon for you to see, but you don’t have to see it yet – it is enough that *we* who absolutely *love* this game say that it’s way *cooler* than ever and we’re SOOO excited about this!!!!" Oh, I forgot that it’s also going to be about having "more FUN!"

I’ll post some random quotes from the WoTC staff to prove my point:

quote:

"Going back to some 4E specifics, one of the the things I have enjoyed about 4E is that it's very much a "yes you can" game. It lets people do fun and exciting things, and it lets them do them without much complication…. I'm still finding traps, unlocking doors, ambushing bad guys, leaping from rooftops, and all of those things, but as I do so I'm far less distracted by the rules than I am under 3E."

"3e got a lot of things right, but anyone who has played it for a time knows that it gets things wrong. 4e is all about taking the things that work in D&D, keeping them in the game, and fixing everything else."

“I expect that the improvements in game play will convince even reluctant players to switch over to 4th Edition.”

"Fourth Edition gives characters interesting things to do and interesting choices to make during each round of combat. For example, characters always have some cool at-will powers they can use even after they've used up their 'heavy artillery.'"

"There will be many more monsters for PC’s to fight. It’s more fun that way. There are very few encounters that are built to be all the PC’s against one big powerful bad guy. There will be more mechanics built to leverage the monsters and THEIR fundamental roles. An ettin will be talking to itself throughout the encounter. This is the “monster’s job on the battlefield” this is how he reacts."

"Social encounters. For those who don't just want to RP such things without some mechanical impact, the game has rules for non-combat encounters. The example given was social interaction. Unlike 3E, where negotiation amounts to a single Diplomacy check, it's treated almost like a combat in 4E. I make a skill check, but I also tell the DM what/how I'm doing. The opponent responds with behavior (and a check) of his own. I counter with a new check, and new words. And so forth."

”It's funny. I actually had to go and ask Chris Perkins and Andy Collins this morning what people mean when they're asking whether Fourth Edition characters will be "more powerful" than Third Edition characters of the same level. I assumed the question was relative, and it made no sense to me. 4E characters will be just as challenged by encounters of their level as 3E characters would be if 3E encounter design actually worked. The power level, from that mindset, is the same.

That just shows how immersed I am in 4E, I guess. Andy explained that what he thinks people want to know is whether characters will have more hit points and do more damage. Purely a question of raw numbers, rather than of what those numbers mean in the world.

Given that 3E is inherently unbalanced—low-level characters are too weak and high-level characters are too powerful—I guess the right answer is that low-level characters will be more powerful and high-level characters will be less so. Everyone will be balanced, because we've erased the accident of math.”

Edited by - Asgetrion on 15 Sep 2007 23:14:35
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  06:07:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If in a fell swoop, you come and tell me, "Here's how the Realms will be in 100 years" then you've singlehandedly made my life as a DM worthless, as both the players and I now know that whatever we do in our games, it won't affect the Realms a single bit.

What?

quote:

At least with a slow year advancement (as we've seen since the FRCS) I can pace my games to be just behind or after most current events, "surfing the canon wave" so to speak, and make my players feel they're having an influence on the world and be the cause or have a hand in these canon events.
I can appreciate this approach, because I do the same thing. But Im not beholden to this timeline either.

quote:

If the 100-year jump happens, I can see many people 'reverting to their own Realms', which I would hate to see, as this effectively becomes a dead setting.

Why do I bother?
The last time I checked it was not you who defined what inspires or what a Realms fan is Sanishiver. You are excited and looking forward to this new direction. Great, good for you! At the same time it has the exactly opposite effect on me, it ruins what I enjoy and continues in the direction that I personally don't like, as the Realms have since the start of 3ed.

No bad rhetoric's about it being a copout if one looses interest or "Am I the only one seeing this?" will change that. You enjoy saying that the Realms are ones own and therefore different to each person; so why cant you see that these changes will have a different effect and produce different feelings in different persons? And before you say it, I know this is loose speculations still, but as much as you choose to be an optimist other people can be pessimists. It is their right. If you want you can look forward to a big "I told you so" if it turns out that we all love the new direction of the Realms, but until that let people express their feelings as they choose.

I DM my game and work with my personal Realms, as do you Sanishiver, and what inspires us in these are different. I have no say in your Realms thinking/ inspirations and neither do you have the same in others.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  06:27:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, tempers are beginning to flare, here. We all need to step back and take a breather. And we certainly need to stop taking jabs at each other. I don't care who's right and who's wrong, or who started it. It needs to end, now.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  06:32:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I've been letting my temper flare a bit more than I normally do, and I'm sorry that I haven't let a few more things slide and that I haven't just not posted. Its one thing to vent, its another to feel compelled to post because you just have to have your post show up and be "heard," and I think I've crossed that line.

Apologies to my fellow scribes over my last of self control and my general ego trip. I'm honestly sorry about that.

Also, it might behoove us to try and keep this scroll more aligned to discussing 4th edition in more general terms, since the discussion on the 4th edition Realms specifically has overflowed the boundaries of this thread and ended up in at least a few other threads.

I realize that there might be a difference between how some scribes feel about the new rules and how they feel about the changes in the Realms, and the lines been getting blurred regarding this.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  08:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hamsterkeep sounds better than Big Al's Diner and Chapbook Emporium.

"Can I have some fresh eels while I catch up reading 'The King's Daughters in Westgate' naughty book?"

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  10:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Aye, let's try and keep things civil herein. I know the 4e direction for the Realms has been upsetting for some, but let us remember that we're ultimately all Realms fans, and whether we embrace 4e or not, we need to stick together

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  11:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont want to put more wood on the fire but I didnt like the changes 3 edition made to
Forgotten Realms and after reading the information given me (se the link below) and I dont like 4 edition either.

My favourite edition will always be 2 editions, and I use what information 3 and 4 edition haves to offer so it matches our way of playing and making oure FR world fun to play in.

After reweaving 3 edition material I realized how good 2 edition material were, and I stopped complaining about the money ripping firm that ruined FR TSR / HOSBRO, and only used what gave meaning to our campaign.

Players and Dungeon masters keep in mind that yours Forgotten Realms as you see it is unique in its own way, it has special home made rules and its own life. Playing D&D is and will always be a great way of having fun with friends and you chose the time and the edition, and the home made rules that makes your game fun.

In ourer FR world its more Dark Aged the priest in the realms have more to say then conmen wizards and thiefs, and religion plays a big part of the role-playing life, we create personalities and have ourer special individual rituals when rolling dices and its all fun fore all players, and fore me as a DM. 4 edition chant change this, and if we do not like it hell.. We are not going to use it if it ruins our fun.

If you dont like 4 edition dont buy it!

The Future of the Forgotten Realms
http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/Drakul/3654153

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 16 Sep 2007 11:53:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  14:47:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, while we don't like some of what we've seen coming, there remains the fact that we have next to no real information. We're all getting worked up at shadows, here. We know something's there, but at the moment, the shadow is all we can see. We don't know the true shape of what we're facing.

Until we know more, I don't see how we can make any decisions. There are some good people at the helm, and they will, hopefully, explain things in a satisfactory light. I think we owe it to them to at least give it a shot.

I'm not saying to go all gung ho for the 4E FRCS, or that we should rush out to buy it and every other 4E FR product. I'm just saying wait until we actually know more, before deciding whether or not to howl for WotC blood.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  19:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us assume, just for a moment, that the events in 1385 do happen. We will have a timejump of at least 10 years. Whether that is good or bad, I know not, but it does have potential to make a damn good campaign-future... IF players can influence the events surrounding all of that, including the Spellplague. If all of this is written in stone, however, and the future is predetermined by Wizards, and the events described in the first chapter of The Orc King will happen, then the (Canon-)Realms are not my pair of shoes. Then again, for the two campaigns I am running Kelemvor isn't even god of Death yet as we are still stuck in 1366/67. Furthermore, I do not plan to let the War of the Spiderqueen take place as is written, since by that time my 6 yrs running campaign will be powerful enough to challenge the drow etc...

I am not happy with those changes, or the prospect of them, but we will see...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  20:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On 31 August 2007, Rich Baker posted that 'I expect to be able to talk a little more about the "new" Realms in just a couple of weeks'.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  02:13:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not going to go postal or anything, fellow scribes, so fear not. I just want to give a logical explanation from the point of view of someone who is actually excited about 4th edition rules.

A lot of the rules changes sound good, and I'm hoping they live up to the hype. I'm not thrilled by the 'dumbing down' of NPCs and other systems, but I do like a lot of what I'm hearing. I just want to get that 'out there' before I respond.

Most folks who are running campaigns already have them going in the current time frame. Unless you feel like starting completely over, a hundred year jump is USELESS in game terms. Why would we buy products we can't use - because it says Forgotten Realms on it? People aren't so mad about big changes; if that were so we would have left after the ToT. What most ARE upset with is lore that is unuseable in their games.

I realize that WotC wants most people to restart their games with 4e, but realistically that just isn't going to happen. Most folks are still 10-15 behind the current timeline... what are we going to do with information set a century from now? My own personal game is set in 1390 DR, and even I am having a hard time justifying a jump of more then a decade or so.

Also, there were simpler ways to change the magic system then to commit Ragnarok. Over the last month I must have read a least a hundred good ideas about what peopled guessed the Spellplague was going to be.

And guess what? Nearly all of them were better then what the designers have come up with. Its juvenile and not well thought out. There are two methods to change something - one with a club and the other with a firm yet gentle hand. Using a club is the refuge of the unimaginative. With just a little effort, something far more reasonable could have been done. A little finesse, and a light touch, goes a long way.

But I digress... my point is, if we can't use it we won't purchase it. The 'new' Realms are fine for anyone starting new games, but as for the rest of us, we don't need to waste money on these products. I will see if the new setting is so wonderful that I want to erase everything I have worked on for the last three years and reset my timeline - if it is, then more power to them.

I await to be amazed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Sep 2007 05:36:13
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  02:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, so I watched some of the stuff from GenCon or something that Bill Slavicsek and Chris Perkins had to say about 4th ed.

Really, this isn't even a fully new edition.

From what I can tell, "4th edition" is basically "3.5e v2.0" and then they started talking about DnD Insider and a variety of webpage-based junk that's completely meaningless to people who can already use the internet.

WotC appears to be taking the tactic that movie companies used and putting their cutting room floor junk and packaging it as important additions. "Designer commentary" for monsters...

DnD Insider is going to be, of course, a subscription-based site, aka a money pit. Being as it features as one of the key components of 4th ed, if you don't choose to spend money on it, you're missing out on the stuff they seem to consider important. Which basically means that if you're not going to use the site, then the books aren't worth it because the "physical products" are only one of the 4 components of 4th edition.

In fact, the majority of what I heard from Slavicsek and Perkins appeared to be empty buzzwords that basically circled around the notion that 4e is basically nothing new. They're adding stuff that fans have had floating around the internet for ages (encounter builders, dungeon builders, etc) but charging you for them.

So yeah, DnD Insider figures to be one of the four building blocks of 4e, but it's a subscription-based site so you're paying extra for it. They appear to have designed an improvement over WebRPG, a properly 3D virtual tabletop that looks like 3D HeroQuest in terms of the tiles and stuff. That seems kind of cool; in fact, if that's functional, then that might make DnD Insider worth it. However, it should not be the foundation for the unveiling of a new edition, it should be a standalone product.

This seems to largely confirm the worst fears of everyone who's been unenthused by 4e; it's a plan to sell subscriptions to DnD Insider and to prop up these new applications, re-sell the corebooks at their awkwardly high prices... They spent 5-10 minutes just talking about Insider and how big that is. The lead-up to that was a lot of empty buzz words about how everything will be 'streamlined' and 'revolutionized' and so forth. They talked oh-so-briefly about Grapple as an example, mysteriously alluding to fixing that and resource management and "all the things that make your sessions grind to a halt." These are things that were said about 3.5e, too, the way they tried to sell us on the need to shell out another $40 + tax for each of the corebooks for THAT little update.

But let's return to "The 4 Parts of 4th Edition:"

- The Physical Products: selling us coreobooks again; but they're still the d20 system, remember, so this is all really errata

- Organized Play: "rewarding you for playing DND wherever you play and whenever you play;" this is pure buzz; RPGA is cool and stuff but that if they were talking about that, then it's a purely farcical addition because RPGA has been around since before 4th ed. Maybe they needed a fourth point to make their presentation symmetrical with the edition number.

- Community: Yes, because Community is something I need WotC to sell me on when the internet has already provided this; gleemax.com social networking tools. w00t. *waves flag*

- DnD Insider; this is the subscription-based site that gives you a collection of online tools; char creators, editorial game content, they even USE the DVD analogy, which I thought was horrible. They're TELLING you that they're selling you useless stuff like movie companies do. Every product will have a code that you can enter into DnD Insider to unlock an e-version of the product. Articles from Dungeon and Dragon Online. Updated dungeon builders, encounter builders, blah, blah.

So yeah, there you have it; 4e is a really weak money-grab, as many suspected.

It is ENTIRELY possible that the mechanical errata that they are using to justify the release of an entirely new set of core books are useful and very effective updates to the rules. But given that they stood on a stage and admitted that this "new edition" is still the same core system as before, WotC has also effectively said "we're selling you the same game with some updates, just like 3.5e."

Ugh, I feel dirty having just listened to that. It was like 25, 30 minutes of the kind of disgusting stuff you hear from people who run pyramid schemes and stuff. Blech.

The whole "four part" thing is really weak. They're selling 'community interaction' and so forth as parts of the edition? No, no, no, the physical products are the new addition. That's the edition itself and from the sounds of it, it's not going to be worth the money for the new corebooks.

Some of the features they've described seem intriguing but they in no way justify an entirely new run of books.

For those of you on this site associated with WotC, I apologize if I've offended you but my first reaction to the various things I've heard has been pretty vitriolic and I'm extraordinarily displeased with the way this is shaping up.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  02:52:42  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much are the corebooks?
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  03:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

How much are the corebooks?

Well, if they're the same price as the 3.0 and 3.5 edition corebooks, they're around $40 Canadian.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000