Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragon #359 (The last printed issue :()
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  22:53:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just thought some of you would want to see this issue because it contains some interesting FR articles or FR related articles.

Alzrius posted over on ENworld:

"Giant Poster - A huge double-sided eight-panel poster comes with the issue, commemorating the "Paizo Years" of Dragon and Dungeon. One side has the complete picture of the "Incursion" covers, while the other has (what I assume are all) the covers from Paizo's issues of the magazines.

Editorial: The Last Session, by Erik Mona - Erik reminisces about the last Ptolus session, and now the last Dragon, giving Jason Bulmahn, Mike McArtor, and F. Wesley Schneider all several paragraphs to say their own goodbyes as well.

Scale Mail - The letters column is packed with people sorry to see the magazine go.

The Top 10 Issues of Dragon, by Tim Hitchcock and Nicolas Logue - The best ten issues of Dragon are remembered here, covering not just their release information, but also their gp value, aura, cost, caster level, and notable articles. These are the issues that are widely considered to be the best of the best.

Unsolved Mysteries of D&D, by the Dragon and Dungeon staffs - The people who know D&D best set out to solve some of the game's greatest mysteries! What really caused the Mournlands? Who is the Lady of Pain? Whatever happened to Carl Sargent? These mysteries and more are explored by the people who know them best!

Time Dragons, by Mike McArtor - A new dragon for the last Dragon! These epic dragons are quite possibly the strongest dragons in existence (the dragon gods withstanding). These temporal-travelling dragons are incredibly powerful, being CR 24 as wyrmlings, and CR 90 as great wyrms! Along with a host of time-related powers, they can even travel through time itself, making them some of the mightiest creatures in D&D.

Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Apocrypha, by James Jacobs - The Demonomicon is a vast repository of demonic knowledge, but even if has apocrypha; bits and pieces that seem related, but still questionable. This article covers how the fell tome categorizes the denizens of the Abyss into six categories (including a new loumara: the CR 12 manitou), and then covers five new up-and-coming lords. Interestingly, while these new demon lords don't have stats per se, they're all given a base creature to refer to (along with a CR, and a few notable abilities), which should then have the new Demon Lord template applied. This makes it possible to fully stat out these new lords yourself. The five revealed herein are Ardat the Unavowed, Dwiergus the Chrysalis Prince, Lascer, Lord of the Shadow Shoal, Shaktari, Queen of the Mariliths, and Ugudenk the Squirming King. A sidebar covers where to find previous "Demonomicon" articles, and another has James's thanks to everyone who supported the series.

1d20 Villains, by Jason Bulmahn, James Jacobs, Mike McArtor, Erik Mona, F. Wesley Schneider, Todd Stewart, and Jeremy Walker - Twenty of the most nefarious names in D&D are covered here, from Meepo to Strahd von Zarovich and back again. Each covers their origins, current activities, and sources with more about them. Each also has a piece of associated new crunch, from Meepo's pump-action shotgun to Strahd's Skeletal Steed, and so much more! Several are nods to classics that fans of the game might remember, such as charon's claw, the Orcusword, or the left ear of Vecna. Great stuff!

Treasures of Greyhawk, by Gary Holian and Rick Miller - These are the magic items of Zagig and the Company of Seven themselves: heward's bell, heward's lyre of truth, keoghtom's spidery map, keoghtom's staff of purification, murlynd's hat, murlynd's rattlesnake whip, nolzur's orb, quaal's cloak, quaal's surreptitous armor of expedience, robe of the mad archmage, tasha's grinning idol[/i], and yragerne signet. A sidebar covers using these items with Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

The Wizards Three, by Ed Greenwood - Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Rautheene meet again at Ed's place, and for the first time in a while, Dalamar joins them! The four of them have a merry time while Ed himself hides and hopes he's not discovered (in other words, it's business as usual).

Elminster vs. Raistlin, by Cam Banks, with Ed Greenwood and Margaret Weis - The powers and weaknesses of these two strongest mages are examined, as well as their tactics that they'd use to overcome each other. I won't reveal who the winner is, of course, but it's quite interesting to read about what they'd do in a duel.

Ecology of the Tarrasque, by Ed Greenwood and Johnathan M. Richards - The Monster Hunter's Society returns! Or at least, they serve as the open and closing to this ecology. The Tarrasque's history, physiology, and psychology and society are all covered, and we're given an advanced, CR 30 Tarrasque. Sidebars cover what you'd know about it with a Knowledge (arcana) check and Tarrasque-based plots.

Savage Tidings: Demon Days, by Wolfgang Baur - The last Savage Tidings recaps each of the previous Savage Tide adventures to examine how the characters got where they are. It also covers possible allies (or even replacement PCs), as well as what could come after Demogorgon is defeated.

Volo's Guide: Myth Drannor, City of Song, by Eric L. Boyd - This (spoiler-filled regarding recent FR material) article covers contemporary Myth Drannor, including a map of the city, and a city stat block.

Dragonmarks: Echoes of the Mourning, by Keith Baker - This article examines possible causes of the creation of the Mournlands, what happens when you travel through it, and a new feat, Mourning Mutate, which you can have if you lived through the Mourning.

Sage Advice - This last Sage Advice covers, appropriately, topics relating to death. There's also a sidebar covering how long the column has continued, and that it continues still online. Also, the little mouse that's been the column's recent mascot waves goodbye (I really love that little guy - kudos to artist Andrew Hou!).

Class Acts

Adventurer: Body Modification, by James Lafond Sutter - This covers several non-magical surgical modifications you can make to yourself, such as embedding small weapons into yourself, making an internal pouch, or using your own flesh for a spellbook (though this takes the new Skincaster feat).

Arcane: Wizard Guide, by Amber E. Scott - This article covers all of the basic information about wizards, putting all of their tables as well as a list of choice feats and PrCs in one place.

Divine: Forgotten Faiths, by F. Wesley Schneider - Presented here are six esoteric gods from the history of D&D: Ezra, The Guardian of Dead Gods, Kanchelsis, Mellifleur, The Queen of Air and Darkness, and Raxivort. Each has their divine level and alignment, several paragraphs of description, and a listing of their portfolio and domains.

Warrior: The Universal Key, by Jeremy Walker - Can't unlock a door? Bust it down then! Here are several new pieces of equipment designed to bring down barriers in your way, as well as a new magic item, the skeleton key, and a new feat, Fine Flaw. It also quickly covers existing items that bypass or destroy locks from other books.

Finale: Arcane Lore Abilities, by Monte Cook - Monte himself presents eight new feats for arcane spellcasters, each specially designed to have atmosphere to go along with their crunch: Countenance of the Mage, Ears of the Mage, Eyes of the Mage, Footsteps of the Mage, Hands of the Mage, Name of the Mage, Presence of the Mage, and Voice of the Mage.

Comics - Nodwick, by Aaron Williams; Dork Tower, by John Kovalic; The Order of the Stick, by Rich Burlew; and What's New? with Phil and Dixie, by Phil Foglio. All of these classic comics say goodbye to Dragon in their own way."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Aug 2007 00:47:26

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  23:01:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I can't wait to get this, and yet, it means its really all over . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  23:07:14  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've convinced me to buy the mag. =)

I never did find enough money to get a subscription. =(

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  23:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thanks for bringing this over, Kuje.

I think it's finally hit home after reading this article breakdown I'm looking forward to this issue for many reasons... some great-sounding articles, albeit tinged with sadness.

Let's keep this thread rolling with reviews and views of the last issue of our beloved Dragon magazine and the articles within

Here's to Dragon magazine... the best gaming publication ever to hit the shelves!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  23:55:47  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talk about going out with a bang. The DI has a lot to live up to!

I've only been reading Dragon for just about two years, first issue I picked up was 335, with the Waterdeep special. It's sad to see such a brilliant magazine go.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  00:51:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. There's so much neato material in this issue and yet, it's also the final issue.
quote:
Originally posted by Alzrius posted over on ENworld

"Giant Poster - A huge double-sided eight-panel poster comes with the issue, commemorating the "Paizo Years" of Dragon and Dungeon. One side has the complete picture of the "Incursion" covers, while the other has (what I assume are all) the covers from Paizo's issues of the magazines.
This sounds nice. "Incursion" was apparently a big hit.

quote:
Editorial: The Last Session, by Erik Mona - Erik reminisces about the last Ptolus session, and now the last Dragon, giving Jason Bulmahn, Mike McArtor, and F. Wesley Schneider all several paragraphs to say their own goodbyes as well.
Talking about Ptolus. That's good.

quote:
Scale Mail - The letters column is packed with people sorry to see the magazine go.
I wonder whether my letter made it!

quote:
The Top 10 Issues of Dragon, by Tim Hitchcock and Nicolas Logue - The best ten issues of Dragon are remembered here, covering not just their release information, but also their gp value, aura, cost, caster level, and notable articles. These are the issues that are widely considered to be the best of the best.
I'll probably be missing at least one of these.

quote:
Unsolved Mysteries of D&D, by the Dragon and Dungeon staffs - The people who know D&D best set out to solve some of the game's greatest mysteries! What really caused the Mournlands? Who is the Lady of Pain? Whatever happened to Carl Sargent? These mysteries and more are explored by the people who know them best!
No, no... I don't want to know who the Lady of Pain is. It's better when she's undefined. I can see this particular tidbit causing some problems among PLANESCAPE circles.

quote:
Time Dragons, by Mike McArtor - A new dragon for the last Dragon! These epic dragons are quite possibly the strongest dragons in existence (the dragon gods withstanding). These temporal-travelling dragons are incredibly powerful, being CR 24 as wyrmlings, and CR 90 as great wyrms! Along with a host of time-related powers, they can even travel through time itself, making them some of the mightiest creatures in D&D.
I wonder if this will include the brief tidbit that was to be printed in Dragons of Krynn?

quote:
Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Apocrypha, by James Jacobs - The Demonomicon is a vast repository of demonic knowledge, but even if has apocrypha; bits and pieces that seem related, but still questionable. This article covers how the fell tome categorizes the denizens of the Abyss into six categories (including a new loumara: the CR 12 manitou), and then covers five new up-and-coming lords. Interestingly, while these new demon lords don't have stats per se, they're all given a base creature to refer to (along with a CR, and a few notable abilities), which should then have the new Demon Lord template applied. This makes it possible to fully stat out these new lords yourself. The five revealed herein are Ardat the Unavowed, Dwiergus the Chrysalis Prince, Lascer, Lord of the Shadow Shoal, Shaktari, Queen of the Mariliths, and Ugudenk the Squirming King. A sidebar covers where to find previous "Demonomicon" articles, and another has James's thanks to everyone who supported the series.
Sounds interesting.

quote:
1d20 Villains, by Jason Bulmahn, James Jacobs, Mike McArtor, Erik Mona, F. Wesley Schneider, Todd Stewart, and Jeremy Walker - Twenty of the most nefarious names in D&D are covered here, from Meepo to Strahd von Zarovich and back again. Each covers their origins, current activities, and sources with more about them. Each also has a piece of associated new crunch, from Meepo's pump-action shotgun to Strahd's Skeletal Steed, and so much more! Several are nods to classics that fans of the game might remember, such as charon's claw, the Orcusword, or the left ear of Vecna. Great stuff!
Yay Strahd!

quote:
Treasures of Greyhawk, by Gary Holian and Rick Miller - These are the magic items of Zagig and the Company of Seven themselves: heward's bell, heward's lyre of truth, keoghtom's spidery map, keoghtom's staff of purification, murlynd's hat, murlynd's rattlesnake whip, nolzur's orb, quaal's cloak, quaal's surreptitous armor of expedience, robe of the mad archmage, tasha's grinning idol[/i], and yragerne signet. A sidebar covers using these items with Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.
I'm really surprised there wasn't more GH material in this final issue, actually.

quote:
The Wizards Three, by Ed Greenwood - Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Rautheene meet again at Ed's place, and for the first time in a while, Dalamar joins them! The four of them have a merry time while Ed himself hides and hopes he's not discovered (in other words, it's business as usual).
Dalamar's back! I can't wait for this one.

quote:
Elminster vs. Raistlin, by Cam Banks, with Ed Greenwood and Margaret Weis - The powers and weaknesses of these two strongest mages are examined, as well as their tactics that they'd use to overcome each other. I won't reveal who the winner is, of course, but it's quite interesting to read about what they'd do in a duel.
Well, if this particular topic were ever to be tackled officially, I'm glad both Ed and Margaret are involved.

quote:
Ecology of the Tarrasque, by Ed Greenwood and Johnathan M. Richards - The Monster Hunter's Society returns! Or at least, they serve as the open and closing to this ecology. The Tarrasque's history, physiology, and psychology and society are all covered, and we're given an advanced, CR 30 Tarrasque. Sidebars cover what you'd know about it with a Knowledge (arcana) check and Tarrasque-based plots.
More from Ed! Neato.

quote:
Savage Tidings: Demon Days, by Wolfgang Baur - The last Savage Tidings recaps each of the previous Savage Tide adventures to examine how the characters got where they are. It also covers possible allies (or even replacement PCs), as well as what could come after Demogorgon is defeated.
I haven't really been following this all that much. But with Baur's name attached, there's bound to be some neat tidbits.

quote:
Volo's Guide: Myth Drannor, City of Song, by Eric L. Boyd - This (spoiler-filled regarding recent FR material) article covers contemporary Myth Drannor, including a map of the city, and a city stat block.
Eric, does this expand on the earlier tidbits you revealed in your "Cormanthyr" article from DRAGON #354?

quote:
Dragonmarks: Echoes of the Mourning, by Keith Baker - This article examines possible causes of the creation of the Mournlands, what happens when you travel through it, and a new feat, Mourning Mutate, which you can have if you lived through the Mourning.
So long as they're "possible" causes of creation...

quote:
Sage Advice - This last Sage Advice covers, appropriately, topics relating to death. There's also a sidebar covering how long the column has continued, and that it continues still online. Also, the little mouse that's been the column's recent mascot waves goodbye (I really love that little guy - kudos to artist Andrew Hou!).

Class Acts

Adventurer: Body Modification, by James Lafond Sutter - This covers several non-magical surgical modifications you can make to yourself, such as embedding small weapons into yourself, making an internal pouch, or using your own flesh for a spellbook (though this takes the new Skincaster feat).

Arcane: Wizard Guide, by Amber E. Scott - This article covers all of the basic information about wizards, putting all of their tables as well as a list of choice feats and PrCs in one place.

Warrior: The Universal Key, by Jeremy Walker - Can't unlock a door? Bust it down then! Here are several new pieces of equipment designed to bring down barriers in your way, as well as a new magic item, the skeleton key, and a new feat, Fine Flaw. It also quickly covers existing items that bypass or destroy locks from other books.
I usually skip over most of this material.

quote:
Divine: Forgotten Faiths, by F. Wesley Schneider - Presented here are six esoteric gods from the history of D&D: Ezra, The Guardian of Dead Gods, Kanchelsis, Mellifleur, The Queen of Air and Darkness, and Raxivort. Each has their divine level and alignment, several paragraphs of description, and a listing of their portfolio and domains.
Finally, some love for Mellifleur. I'll be reading through this.

quote:
Finale: Arcane Lore Abilities, by Monte Cook - Monte himself presents eight new feats for arcane spellcasters, each specially designed to have atmosphere to go along with their crunch: Countenance of the Mage, Ears of the Mage, Eyes of the Mage, Footsteps of the Mage, Hands of the Mage, Name of the Mage, Presence of the Mage, and Voice of the Mage.

Comics - Nodwick, by Aaron Williams; Dork Tower, by John Kovalic; The Order of the Stick, by Rich Burlew; and What's New? with Phil and Dixie, by Phil Foglio. All of these classic comics say goodbye to Dragon in their own way."
Sounds good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Aug 2007 00:54:25
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  03:32:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
No, no... I don't want to know who the Lady of Pain is. It's better when she's undefined. I can see this particular tidbit causing some problems among PLANESCAPE circles.

From what was said by the staff on Paizo's boards, several of the mysteries are left intact, with no canon answers.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  04:07:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I was just reading that. Hopefully this means the Lady of Pain as well, since I'm of the mind that it was a mistake to even provide the limited stats she received in the Planar Handbook.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  05:50:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, I was just reading that. Hopefully this means the Lady of Pain as well, since I'm of the mind that it was a mistake to even provide the limited stats she received in the Planar Handbook.

Allow me to reassure you... On page 31, the write-up of her starts with "No one knows who or what the Lady of Pain is." There are a few paragraphs of speculation, then it's said again that very little is known about her.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  06:07:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Allow me to reassure you... On page 31, the write-up of her starts with "No one knows who or what the Lady of Pain is." There are a few paragraphs of speculation, then it's said again that very little is known about her.

Good good because like Sage, I didn't like the short stats that started to appear for her in the Planar Handbook. Mutter. Especially, to me, that some of the stat info made no sense.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  06:18:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

And thanks Wooly. I'm interested in speculation about Her Serenity, for sure... because it's fun to speculate about such things, but I'd never actually plot anything for the Lady in an actual campaign. Part of the point of the Lady is that she is an enigmatic, emblematic being, a mysterious force beyond expectation and thus representative of the grander secrets of the Planescape setting. Defining her limits her, and in doing so makes the planes a little more mundane.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Aug 2007 06:22:15
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  06:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 54,000 dollar question is whats to become of Eds upublished City of Faerun article...........

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  07:02:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they'll end up being included in the "subscription-only" sections of the FR/D&D website, once the full revamp [Gleemax launch] of online RPG services from WotC is completed.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Aug 2007 07:04:07
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  14:58:01  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe they'll end up being included in the "subscription-only" sections of the FR/D&D website, once the full revamp [Gleemax launch] of online RPG services from WotC is completed.

Do we know if all the unpublished material of Dragon/Dungeon is in WoTC hands ?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  16:00:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:

Do we know if all the unpublished material of Dragon/Dungeon is in WoTC hands ?

Both Paizo and WOTC said they got most of it, so yes it is. However, some of it is a slush pile but it still might be printed. I'm assuming Ed's material isn't in the slush pile. :)

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  18:16:45  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall some information on WotC's page and a discussion on EN World that the "slush pile" of queries has been killed due to the facts that it was too huge and that many people had resubmitted their queries to WotC anyway. But I'd agree that anything Ed wrote wouldn't be in the slush pile.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  20:08:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Divine: Forgotten Faiths, by F. Wesley Schneider - Presented here are six esoteric gods >>from the history of D&D: Ezra, The Guardian of Dead Gods, Kanchelsis, Mellifleur, The >>Queen of Air and Darkness, and Raxivort. Each has their divine level and alignment, >>several paragraphs of description, and a listing of their portfolio and domains.

Great. Wanted to hear more on all these (especially Mellifleur, Kanchelsis, and the Queen)... except Raxivort? Don't recall him.

>>The Wizards Three, by Ed Greenwood - Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Rautheene meet again at >>Ed's place, and for the first time in a while, Dalamar joins them! The four of them have >>a merry time while Ed himself hides and hopes he's not discovered (in other words, it's >>business as usual).

Aye, I'm glad to be seeing this one.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  21:36:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Great. Wanted to hear more on all these (especially Mellifleur, Kanchelsis, and the Queen)... except Raxivort? Don't recall him.

God of Xvarts . . . hm . . . that kind of summed that up.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  21:54:34  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I excitedly purchase issue #92 (Bridge of Sarrow cover) way back when and have read every issue since.

I shall look with hope to the horizon for whatever replaces the Dragon, covet my collection like any good wyrm would, and salute the Dragon, for it has provided me with great joy over the years and it will not be forgotten.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  23:50:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine in the mail today . . . I'm kind of hesitant to open it, but at the same time, I really want to dig into this.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  01:37:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to picking this up. I'm not keen at all on the reborn Myth Drannor stuff, but that's because of personal prejudice more than anything else.

The Greyhawk stuff sounds pretty fun (yes, I like that setting too).

quote:

With all due respect to the authors, this is actually a little too reminiscent of the X vs. Y threads that many people hate (myself included) for my liking... :-/ Duel tactics, interesting...X vs. Y, who wins? No.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Aug 2007 01:39:12
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  01:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I got mine in the mail today . . . I'm kind of hesitant to open it, but at the same time, I really want to dig into this.

I sooooo know how that feels...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  01:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Anything regarding plastic/cosmetic surgery?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  02:39:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to figure out if I missed something with Ed's last comment in the "Unsolved Mysteries" article, but I won't ruin it for anyone.

I didn't look at the editorial yet, nor the "Time Dragon" article, but I really liked the Demonomicon article, especially the guidelines for creating demon lords (I wish I had these guidelines when I made Xvim's Mother for my campaign).

Manshoon's ring is pretty snazzy, and I liked the stats for Charon's Claw (definitely the right way to go making it a lesser artifact, and thus avoiding the "pricing trap.")

The Lolth article mentions her pre history as Araushnee and the Silence as well, continuing Paizo's trend of keeping things inclusive.

I have to say I enjoyed the final "Wizards Three" more than the one from the recent anniversary issue, which just felt like it was missing something, and not just Dalamar. This one felt a little more like the article of old, even without the crunchy bits, and I actually got a little choked up over Dalamar's return.

I really liked the CR 30 Tarrasque they put in the ecology article . . . essentially reinforcing that its a "scalable" legendary threat.

I liked the write up of Myth Drannor, and not only did it emphasize that the ruins aren't quite tame yet, but it reinforced that Malkzid was setting the stage for a while before he made his move, which I liked.

Interesting Anubis news in the "Forgotten Faiths" article, and its nice having some 3.5 information on Kanchelsis and The Queen of Air and Darkness.

I really liked the arcane feats that Monte Cook wrote up for "Class Acts." Many of them are kind of minor "wizard flourish" abilities that could come in handy once in a while, but really play on the RP side of things.

::Sigh:: but that's it now . . . its really over. The "Sopranos" reference, while funny annoys me nearly as much as the end of that series did.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  08:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJRand I liked the stats for Charon's Claw (definitely the right way to go making it a lesser artifact, and thus avoiding the "pricing trap.")

I had more fun with giving it alluded quasi-magical abilities, based on its Netherese origin, and the notion of the sword's intelligence being a bound fiend. But not firmly defined, so plenty of room to play with the truth of the matter.

quote:
The Lolth article mentions her pre history as Araushnee and the Silence as well, continuing Paizo's trend of keeping things inclusive.

I thought folks would appreciate that. I had a similar stance with the Orcus entry, but it unfortunately got majorly cut down for space reasons from what I submitted (so an attempted rationalization of H4 with the rest of planar lore, Dead Gods, etc didn't make it).

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 15 Aug 2007 08:40:44
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  12:22:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have liked to have seen that in the Orcus entry. In fact, I was kind of expecting it given the Lolth entry and other recent Paizo mindset on things. As far as Charon's Claw goes, I liked the comment about potential other powers in regard to Mythallars as well. Nice work on the article, especially with the various villains from all around the D&D multiverse.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  18:12:24  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on this, but I imagine it'll be a week or two before I can get it here across the pond.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  20:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on this, but I imagine it'll be a week or two before I can get it here across the pond.

Well met

Don't despair, I just picked this up today, Reefy (My FLGS is Traveling Man)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  01:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Well met

Don't despair, I just picked this up today, Reefy (My FLGS is Traveling Man)

Good stuff, as my FLGS is over half an hour away, I won't have chance to try and get it till the weekend anyway. I'm not confident of finding it either, Cambridge doesn't have the stores it used to.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  10:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm certainly looking forward to it (and not just for Volo's Guide). And the newsstand date of the 29th places it the day after my birthday. I can't think of a more apt gift. ~_^

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1407 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  06:10:20  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really sad for people like me who has never seen a single issue of Dragon sold on the shelves in bookstores.

This is a sad goodbye as much as a sad hello when i had hoped to see an issue in the future. That dream would never realise now.

Goodbye, Dragon. The Dungeon will follow you soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000