Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Silverfall
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  06:38:33  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Hi,

I'm currently reading Silverfall, the only Ed's novel I didn't read before except Stormlight. I was quite surprised to find that it's one of my favorite coming from him.

Do many of you have this one as your favorite from our beloved creator of the Realms?

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  09:03:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I must admit that Silverfall is not among my favorites, although its got its high points. That is, I remember thinking it was OK, but nothing more when I had read it. I seem to remember that it had a bit to much combat for my taste, much like the Shadow of the Avatar books.

Now, looking back, I only remember the good parts, so maybe I just read the book at the wrong time.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  10:11:58  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the book some years back, so my memory is alittle wage. However, as I loved theseven sisters back at that time I enjoyed the book very much. I still remember some parts of it, like Dove'sdance with the swords or Storm's game with the poison.

I should read it again some time, I think. Comparing it with those other books I have read more recently, I believe Silverfall is indeed one of the better ones . At least under the top 5 in my book shelf, I'd say. And compared only to those of Ed himself - well, I was not too thrilled of the Elminster series, have avoided Shandril's Saga so far, have not gotten around reading the Knights of MD, so I have to say, from Ed's books it is up on top of that list (maybe challanged only be Making of the Mage).

Thanks for making me think of Ed's Silverfall!

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Aug 2007 10:16:56
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2007 :  01:10:52  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I liked the novel, it was not my favorite. All of Ed's novels get a special place on bookshelves though.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2007 :  01:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I liked the novel, but it's not one of my favorites. Like all Ed's novels it has plenty of memorable scenes in it though. The whole is greater than the often inconsistent and hard to follow parts.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2007 :  02:10:38  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
The whole is greater than the often inconsistent and hard to follow parts.

Sometimes reading Ed's novels without having english as a first language is a difficult thing

Edited by - Skeptic on 02 Aug 2007 02:10:53
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  17:07:30  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Silverfall but not as much as the other books of his I've read (Shandril, some of the Elminster books, Cormyr). The individual scenes -- even the individual chapters -- were great on their own, but I just didn't get how they all got put together into a coherent whole. Maybe I just don't know enough Realmslore myself to work it out .

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  00:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

I liked Silverfall but not as much as the other books of his I've read (Shandril, some of the Elminster books, Cormyr). The individual scenes -- even the individual chapters -- were great on their own, but I just didn't get how they all got put together into a coherent whole. Maybe I just don't know enough Realmslore myself to work it out .

I didn't really "get it", myself, and I wasn't exactly new to the Realms when I read that book.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  01:50:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was a bit different in style. Almost a collection of short stories, that came together in the end of the novel
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  21:35:42  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally, I have to say that the ending was a bit disapointing, maybe because I didn't understand it completly either.

I'm now reading Swords of Eveningstar and so far I like it.

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Aug 2007 21:36:32
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  22:40:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember right, it offered some interesting insight and background on the Sister, but that was about it. Aside from having a clever storyline, it really doesn't stand out.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000