Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Taking over another DM's campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  09:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So here I am sitting at home on Sunday minding my own business crafting yuan-ti intrigue for my We're-not-in-Menzo-anymore-Toto campaign. When much to my surprise one my oldest friends calls me up and proceeds to tell me his dm quit over a fight with a player in their last session and refuses to return. Then he asks me if I would take over the campaign he was dming. Their dm is also a friend of mine and has given me his blessing and all his notes for his campaign.

Now the question is should I take this over? I am somewhat hesitant to do this because of the differing styles of dming (he is more hack and slash while I prefer more of balance between that and roleplaying), the player that he had an arguement isn't my most favorite of people, and just the weird feeling of running something I didn't have a major hand in.
I was wondering if anyone else has been put into this situation before and if so how they handled it. If not any other comments would be helpful.
Thanks in Advance

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  09:51:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never been in the situation you are in, but to me it seems like it is a situation where you have to ask yourself if this is a task you want to take upon yourself. If you are not comfortable with the group and the style of gaming, would you be comfortable running the campaign? Maybe you should talk to the group in question and hear their opinion on your preferred style of DM'ing; if you cant come to an agreement on how to continue the campaign, maybe you could start a new one.

But it is as always almost impossible to give advise about situations and people one does not know, so in the end you will have to find out what you feel is best. Good luck anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Mortagon
Acolyte

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  11:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Mortagon's Homepage Send Mortagon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was once asked to take over a friends campaign as a DM. This campaign had been dead for several years, but the players really wanted to continue playing with their favorite characters, and their old DM was tired of this campaign, but he gave me his blessing to pick up where he left off. So he gave me all the old notes (from 2nd edition) and I started to plan how to update all of this to third edition. His campaign had left off somewhere in 1368, so I jumped the campaign a couple of years into the future, starting the campaign in 1371. The campaign went fairly well and all the players say that they got the old feeling back. It only lasted five sessions, but the players got what they wanted.

The only problem was that when I told their old Dm what had happened, he wasn't that thrilled about the turn I had taken his campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  22:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mortagon

...their old DM was tired of this campaign, but he gave me his blessing to pick up where he left off...

The only problem was that when I told their old Dm what had happened, he wasn't that thrilled about the turn I had taken his campaign.

Sounds like he might be more careful with his blessings in future
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  02:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:
Originally posted by Mortagon

...their old DM was tired of this campaign, but he gave me his blessing to pick up where he left off...

Sounds like he might be more careful with his blessings in future

Yes, that's silly. It wasn't his campaign anymore, that was the point.

Bladedancer, it looks like you stand to inherit a situation born out of bitterness. You mention that you are uncomfortable with the idea, and if I were you I wouldn't take up the offer. But that's just me--you do what YOU want.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mortagon
Acolyte

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  04:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Mortagon's Homepage Send Mortagon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, he kind of passed the torch along, so it wasn't just his campaign anymore. I still play with those guys(even their old DM, and any bitterness or regret he had towards me has long since perished).

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  10:46:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Throughing in my thoughts on this:

1. Make clear from the start that you are NOT the old DM (or like the old DM). that way the players already know changes might accure. Let them know how you see the game and how you like to play it and that eventually some of those elements you favor will slip into your dm style. Communication is the mlst important thing in ANY Relationship (no matter what kind).

2. If you dont feel confortable with taking over the plot as it is, you might what to introduce the players into a new campaign world for only 1-3 sessions to return to your old campaign wolrd. that gives you the opportunty to spin a new tale, give the game a new feel rom the start and asa side effect, as time flows, the old plot line might be finished in the mean time. You get my meaning?!

So much for that. I hope allworks out well for you and the group.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  14:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I was looking over the other dm's notes I see he had alot of good ideas some of which I might just steal with a little adjustment for my campaign. But it seemed he didn't quite know how to implement them into game terms. I have decided not to take over this campaign as I have heard more about the argument the dm had with the player. We will just say with some of things the player said if I would have been the dm I think I would have socked him in the face.
Thanks for all the advice folks

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page