Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jordain Viziers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reddfox321
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  05:56:44  Show Profile  Visit reddfox321's Homepage Send reddfox321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just need a little info on these guys but unfortunately I don't have "Counselors and Kings" or the "Shining South".
I know they are in Halrua and they act as advisors to the mages who rule, so they are upper class but still not in the same esteem as mages.

1) When are they picked to become Jordain Viziers?
2) I've gathered that they're castrated? (true?)
3) Are they all male?
4) What is their training like and where?
5) Who do they answer to? Do they have report to: their order first or to any mage?
6) How is the relationship to the mages,tenuous?
7) Their patron deities would be Mystra or Azuth, correct?

Moon Elf Ranger

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  14:50:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) At birth (sort of - the mother has to take certain potions during the preganancy, if you can get hold off Counselors and Kings you'll notice that it's a pretty nasty process).

2) Yup.

3) There was one female jordain in the novels, but the description of the training in House Jordain seemed to make her a very very rare exception.

4b) They're trained in a place called House Jordain - try and get hold of Shining South as it is marked on the map of Halruaa.

4a)The training involves martial arts, arcane theory (they're not allowed to use magic or have anyone use magic on their behalf, but since they're supposed to advice wizards they're trained to recognise the gestures, ingredients, and incantations of spells), memory-enhancement, and whatever lore you can think of.

5) Judging by the novels they report to: the mage they're in service to, the jordain council, or the Council of Elders/the King of Halruaa.

6) I'd say this varies from mage to mage and jordain to jordain.

7) On this one I'd say that Azuth remains somewhat ahead of Mystra in Halruaa as a whole.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  20:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just add :
6) How is the relationship to the mages,tenuous?
A Jordain is just an employee, he serves the mage. He has to always say the truth. So there is usually no deep links between the both.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

reddfox321
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  00:01:25  Show Profile  Visit reddfox321's Homepage Send reddfox321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, folks!

Kaj, can you expand a bit on your answer for 1 if you can?

When you say a female Jordain is a rare exception what do you mean? One every 10 years or once in a generation or once ever? Is it a liability to have a female Jordain somehow or is it just preference?

Could anybody expand on the Jordain counsel; how its structured, what decisions it makes and who it answers to?

Moon Elf Ranger
Go to Top of Page

reddfox321
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  00:03:52  Show Profile  Visit reddfox321's Homepage Send reddfox321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification Fillow. I was under the impression that the Jordain were permanently assigned to a high ranking mage so perhaps there could be a dynamic there, good or bad. Sort of a Wong/Dr.Strange relationship. I take it then that its much more distant than that.

Moon Elf Ranger
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  00:24:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While you should definitely track down a copy of Shining South (great sourcebook), there is some interesting information on the Jordaini in Tom Costa's Prestige in the Realms PDF, hosted on Eric Boyd's site.

http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/PrestigeintheRealms.pdf.zip
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  00:26:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reddfox321
Sort of a Wong/Dr.Strange relationship. I take it then that its much more distant than that.

Some of the Jordaini might have a relationship not unlike that. Some do get pretty close to their wizard, as for many Halruaan wizards the only person they really trust is their Jordain. This isn't every relationship, but its definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

Go to Top of Page

reddfox321
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  05:12:13  Show Profile  Visit reddfox321's Homepage Send reddfox321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KEJR

Thanks for that reference! Thats got just about all the information I need for the Jordain! Thanks everybody for the help!

Moon Elf Ranger
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000