Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Limiting Character Creation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  04:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The title is odd, but it poses the subject very simply.

When you DM for the Realms, do you limit character regions to "Nearby regions?"

As to the feats, spells & such, I assume all DM's do so in their own way. It's mainly a discussion of regions and what is considered a "near region." Further, do you delve into a region and distinguish extra information if it's central to your game (even including "sub-regions" such as the swagdar of Dambrath)?

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  05:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a running joke in my group that the DM can't "mess with my autonomy." We laugh about it, but it makes the game more enjoyable to the players. As long as it's in an official WotC book or from Dragon magazine we consider it fair game. Anything outside of these sources has to receive DM approval. Now to clarify, if we are adventuring in Chult and you want your character to be from the Dalelands, you had better make sure you write it in your history how and why you got there. That being said, the other DM and I go to great lengths to make a campaign set in a particular region feel like it is set in that region. If you want to roleplay an outsider that's fine, but it may hurt you in the long run. We require all characters to take a regional feat and take at least 1 rank in knowledge (local) for their region. Additionally, if you aren't from a region you can't take knowledge (local) for that region until you have been there for a substantial length of time.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Agis_of_Asticles
Acolyte

Brazil
17 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  05:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Agis_of_Asticles's Homepage Send Agis_of_Asticles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my group is all about DM approval. Basicly we use the core books and some setting accessories [in Brazil we have a lack of translated FR books... core too]. But if one of us want to get a prestige class, a feat or a magic from other source, we ask to DM and if he approve, ok!

Sorry guys. Bad english, I know.

“While the wise may worship, only fools bow and wait.”
A North’s saying [FR]

Suporting the petition to our local [Brazil] publisher of Wizards [Devir] to publish more translated books. [http://www.petitiononline.com/DevirRPG/petition.html]

Edited by - Agis_of_Asticles on 08 Jul 2007 05:52:36
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  06:07:15  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all depends. Mainly if it seems feasible, then sure. However, we try to avoid everyone in the party being too out of the ordinary(ie. lizard folk and such). It also depends on what level we start the campaign. 1st level seems more likely to be a group from a local area or region, while higher level characters have had time to travel and could feasibly be anywhere in Faerun and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  07:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah ... depends somewhat what level they start on ... if it is a lowlevel party i would most likely have that they are in near regions ... if possable with relatively easy access to transport of one kind or another to where they are ... if it is higher level i only demand that they have a good reason to be where they are ín the first place

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  14:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I come to an agreement with players on good characters to play in the particular campaign. This is cooperation, not limiting. I think it's really misleading to talk about 'limiting' character choice, because that implies conflicting purposes -- it's only limiting from the point of view of a player who'd want to play a character not appropriate for the campaign. Do co-authors of a book talk about 'restricting' each other?

There are no absolutes to this. Generally, it's best if 1st-level characters come from nearby, because it's best if they travel the wide Realms during the campaign and not before. One or two from further afield could be fine.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2007 :  12:35:05  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Upon character creation i make a discussion with each player, he has the characters main idea, sometimes i help him choose classes, and then we discuss on the "fluff" section.

I usually permit characters, but there are exceptions, if a character is too exotic and bizzare or his core and prestige classes are selected pure for "Big Numbers" (on hit,dmg etc) without make any sense in the "fluff" part.

PS:Another type of character that gets the X mark are Drizzt clones, no comments on that.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 24 Jul 2007 12:36:14
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  11:08:06  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As often mentioned already, it depends on agreement. But in general I – as DM - want more background story for the more exotic characters. For example we had a player who wanted to give his monk some ties to Kara-Tur - he thought long about the reasons for the voyage to the Dalelands (similar to Xysma’s example ). IMO it ok, if a player thinks hard about the character creation – and if he can give understandable reasons besides just wanting this feat or that skill – why not.

The fun should be in hub of the game – and I like it if my players have funny ideas – but it should be fun – and not power-gaming

Go to Top of Page

Aelf
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  17:05:20  Show Profile Send Aelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To paraphrase the character concept of a fellow player in the last campaign we played:

"He's a Drow from [near] Myth Drannor, who in the Time of Troubles was caught up in a vortex and wound up in Kara-Tur where he learned to be a ninja but now is in the North near Citadel Adbar."

Regards,
Aelf, a bard of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  17:18:02  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only restriction I've put on character creation in my campaign so far is "No drow - yet". It's a low level Waterdeep campaign right now, and a drow character would just bring more headaches than it's worth at this point. I had an Aasimar player, which is fine by me, but no drow just yet.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  17:52:14  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the campaign I'm planning for I'm going so far as to limit all the characters to be from Zhentil Keep or one of their holdings. Prior to this, I asked what everyone wanted to play for the campaign, as I gave them a choice of being "good guy" adventurers, or "the dirty half dozen" from Zhentil Keep.

Most liked both ideas, but leaned towards the Zhent angle.

So now as Zhents, they're choices are very limited. I'm only allowing two non-humans at the most in the group, and there are certain core classes that aren't available, since 4 of the six will be in the Zhentilar.

This is the second campaign that my group has done where character creation was limited, the other was an all drow campaign.... we had no complaints for that setup... but most wouldn't. =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  04:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, when it's agreed the limitation is for story purposes it works. That's my only argument. Unless someone is running away from something major, I can't see them a half a continent (or more) away from their home region.

I'd really like to expand on places for character generation, but it seems to me that "near" locations makes sense at lower levels (1-3) and then expanding from there.

Mind you, I've been working on a campaign for the Tashalar, and I even found a way for characters from as far as Baldur's Gate to make it to the campaign's location. I really want everyone to play the archetype they want, and if they come up with a great background I'll help fit it in, 'cause if you're willing to put the effort in, so should I.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000