Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sememmon 3.5!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  02:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Attention, Realms fans! The latest issue in Dragon Magazine has updated stats on Sememmon and his Elven partner. They have an updated history and format as compared to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. He has two new levels of Wizard, and an illustration of his softer side, showing a picture of him and Ashemmi cuddling together. How adorable.

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  02:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last, it is revealed. The article is by George "Anything You Can Find, I Can Find Faster!" Krashos, and I'm thrilled it's seeing the light of day.

Whee!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  02:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Marvelous, marvelous! Now i'm very eager to get over to my FLGS. This is the type of FR article that i've always longed for.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  02:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy the "Volo's Guide" articles in Dragon Magazine. They add some spice to my FR games.
Thanks for the compliments, Garen Thal and Alaundo.

Edited by - Gwenfloor on 08 Jun 2007 02:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  03:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool--I'll check this out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  06:15:37  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a really nice one!

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  18:03:50  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Realms article indeed! I hope to see more articles like this in whatever form WotC offers as a replacement for Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  20:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds grand, I'll be trying to check this one out for sure.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  22:13:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gwenfloor

Attention, Realms fans! The latest issue in Dragon Magazine has updated stats on Sememmon and his Elven partner. They have an updated history and format as compared to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. He has two new levels of Wizard, and an illustration of his softer side, showing a picture of him and Ashemmi cuddling together. How adorable.

Are you freaggin' kidding? you got your Dragon mag already? I bought the ferrous dragon one last week, and Dungeon today... and you have the *NEXT* Dragon already? where do you live and are you a subscriber!?!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 08 Jun 2007 22:13:48
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  22:18:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got mine today as well . . . GREAT issue . . .
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  00:40:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, looks like the cat is out of the bag. Yes, my article showcases Sememmon and Ashemmi updated for 3.5E and providing lots of information on them, their backgrounds, what they are up to now and how they can interact with your campaign. I had to cut out a bunch of lore but I think it turned out okay. When I get my copy in a month or so, I'll see how it actually turned out.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  03:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent work as always George.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  04:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And which number/month/cover of issue is this? I just might very have to track it down on the newsstands.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  05:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot
And which number/month/cover of issue is this? I just might very have to track it down on the newsstands.
This is the July 2007 issue, #357. It's got Demogorgon and company on the cover.

Demogorgon and Sememmon. Much awesomeness.
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  15:19:53  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wondered about the pair of them just the other day. Good news indeed.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  04:28:48  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to this, when does it hit the newstands?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  14:44:55  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
This is the July 2007 issue, #357. It's got Demogorgon and company on the cover.

"The Unholy Alliance of Semmegorgon." I can just picture it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  15:23:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:

quote:

"The Unholy Alliance of Semmegorgon." I can just picture it.

Why not Demomon?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  22:29:30  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not indeed...

Go to Top of Page

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  18:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Are you freaggin' kidding? you got your Dragon mag already? I bought the ferrous dragon one last week, and Dungeon today... and you have the *NEXT* Dragon already? where do you live and are you a subscriber!?!

I do not wish to give away my real-world location on the Internet, but let me say that I am located in the American South. And yes, I am a subscriber. I also, subscribe to Dungeon Magazine.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  16:00:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

I do not wish to give away my real-world location on the Internet, but let me say that I am located in the American South. And yes, I am a subscriber. I also, subscribe to Dungeon Magazine.

So... you're somewhere close to Patagonia then?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  17:10:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in Florida, and have the month-to-month subscription. I just got mine yesterday. This article (and the comics at the back) are the only things I've read thus far.

I really enjoyed the article, but it was way too short! They could have doubled the wordcount and still not had enough room, thinks I. I'd love to see all of Krash's cut lore for this one.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  00:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Two great tastes that taste great together.

I'm looking forward to this!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  03:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great article George, two of my all-time favorite realms characters given excellent treatment. I only wish there were more of it!

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  05:33:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was lots more - but then I had to cut 3,000 words.

Not sure if there's any point in me posting the stuff that got cut - it's not 'canon' after all until it gets published.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  10:09:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

There was lots more - but then I had to cut 3,000 words.

Not sure if there's any point in me posting the stuff that got cut - it's not 'canon' after all until it gets published.

-- George Krashos

Canon or no, I'd love to see it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  12:34:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

Though, knowing George... he's likely going to keep hold of those 3,000 words and drop them into some future piece of Realmslore should the opportunity present itself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  13:40:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay folks, some bits snipped out of the Sememmon write-up:

Sememmon spent the next several decades as Manshoon’s chief apprentice and underling, routinely being tasked with the most hazardous and sensitive Zhentarim missions. He is thought to have enlisted as a wizard in the service of the crown of Cormyr in the guise of Narloth Alendar in 1301 DR during the period when Cormyr did not enjoy the services of a Mage Royal. He was “broken and banished” (the formal term for exile in Cormyr) in absentia after the spell-slaying in 1304 DR of a member of the Council of Mages, Jarundar Huntsilver, and soon returned to Zhentil Keep. His time in Cormyr is believed to have garnered the Zhentarim much information on the Royal Palace in Suzail and the fortress of High Horn as well as leaving behind several magical tokens and spellglyphs allowing Zhentarim teleportation and scrying magics to pierce hitherto impregnable areas. Upon his appointment as Royal Magician, Vangerdahast is believed to have nullified most of these, but it is thought that he was unable to find them all.

and the full text of what they got up to as the 'covert ops team' of the Moonstars:

In the next two winters Sememmon and Ashemmi undertook several daring and successful missions on behalf of the Moonstars. One of these involved teleporting into monster-infested Murann to snatch Phaan Colwyvv, Tessarch of Amn, from a secret, magical safehold and into the waiting hands of Moonstar agents in Mintarn. He provided valuable information in relation to recent activities of the Shadow Thieves in Waterdeep and the current state of the Council of Six in Amn – information which will no doubt allow the Moonstars to extend their influence into a region that had thwarted Harper infiltration for decades. Similarly, Sememmon and Ashemmi have visited Thay and delivered an item of Netherese origin known only as Hilaunver’s Spellstone to a contact in Eltabbar, traveled back through the Vilhon Reach and assisted in the slaying of the Chondathan noble (and secret Zhentarim information broker) Lord Gaelrin Irithmaerl of Reth at the hands of the vampire Moonstar Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman, and thwarted an attempt in Sheirtalar by members of the Night Parade to place one of their own as a spell-shrouded, prospective mate for the Overking Shaliim of Lapaliiya.

More about Sememmon the man:

His body is a clone created by Manshoon and is in fact the sixth one that this evil archmage has bestowed upon Sememmon in their long association. Despite his vanity (for in his younger days he had waded into battle recklessly, sure that Manshoon would provide him with a new body if it got too damaged or marred), Sememmon is proud of the scars he has received in his adventures since breaking with the Black Network. Before fleeing the Zhentarim, he believed that he was a man who did what he had to do for his survival. Since then, Sememmon has realized what a hypocritical falsehood this attitude was and how his lust for personal power has been the driver throughout much of his life. Events such as the sacrifice of the Blackstaff have opened his eyes to the choices he could have made that would not have led to him becoming the Lord of Darkhold. Whilst he has many regrets and is a changed man in the truest sense of the word, he is too proud to admit his mistakes and instead hides behind a cold, aloof exterior.
Only Ashemmi gets to see the real Sememmon and enjoy his sharp sense of humor, rapid-fire wit and keen intelligence and refinement. While he has forged some recent surprising friendships of sorts with individuals such as the no-nonsense Tulrun of the Tent and the Silent Chosen Alvaerele Tasundrym, he continues to be an individual who shuns any meaningful contact with other people.

The whole box and dice for the Ashemmi intro:

Ashemmi has been described as both a gold elf and a moon elf and is in fact a child of both. She was born Shemmithil Maraphiir to her moon elf father, Rhyem Maraphiir and her gold elf mother, Chelryn Sarynnryllar in Silverymoon during the Year of the Dark Masks (1171 DR). Her parents were outcast from their highborn families as the result of their union and after her birth traveled far from the environs of Silverymoon to live among the wood elves of the Neverwinter Woods where Rhyem had kin. They were taken in by elves of the Ilbaereth clan and Ashemmi became fast friends with Malruthiia (the mother of Tsarra Chaadren, the new chatelaine of Blackstaff Tower in Waterdeep as of the Feast of the Moon in the Year of the Lightning Storms).
As the youngest of four children, Ashemmi was immature even for an adolescent elf and led a sheltered life for much of her first 80 winters until her older brother Malphys discovered her talent for the Art. Malphys had apprenticed with Khelben the Elder for a short period and taught his much younger sister the rudiments of magic. The nurturing of Ashemmi’s talent saw her dedicate herself to her studies but she chafed under the rigid and exacting rules her straitlaced brother imposed on her in his teachings. She longed to take on beast shape and roam the woods, sprout wings and fly into the skies, and talk to creatures strange and terrible. Afflicted by this wanderlust, she knew that she could no longer reside in the safety of the Neverwinter Woods and be happy.

And a further bit that was greatly truncated:

In the meantime, Ashemmi did what she could to resurrect her relationship with Sememmon. Once again they became lovers and began plotting against Manshoon and the Zhentarim of Darkhold. They let other Harpers infiltrate the Black Network to winnow down their political opponents, hamper and distract Manshoon, and give them the time and space they needed to break free from the Zhentarim without having to sacrifice anything more than their power and station within that organization. The Manshoon Wars saw Ashemmi achieve her goal of breaking free from the Zhentarim but she wanted something more: the restoration of her previous moral and ethical outlook. She realized that only a mage of power could undo Manshoon’s bindings and she requested aid from the Blackstaff. He noted that there was power in the Art to do what she wanted, but that it was power that was not yet in his hands. He counseled her to be patient and swore an oath that he would aid her when other evils of yesteryear were also set aright.

More about Ashemmi the elf:

Ashemmi has found that the habits of years spent under the influence of Manshoon’s magic have taken time to discard. She will still react sarcastically to those she considers unsophisticated or slow-witted and she can be extremely condescending to those she doesn’t know well. She is a lioness when it comes to protecting those she loves or has befriended and will think nothing of sacrificing her all for Sememmon or her daughter Cara.
Always conscious of her looks and how they affect those around her, Ashemmi is not averse to using her charms to get what she wants and can be very persuasive and subtle when she needs to be. She is also not hesitant to use her spells to push others into doing her bidding – the saying that “old habits die hard” is very true of her current situation and thinking.
Ashemmi is also considering a return to the Harpers or the Moonstars, although she has kept this secret from Sememmon. She feels that the two of them can only do so much against their enemies without strong allies. The death of Khelben Arunsun has seen them lose their biggest covert ally and she fears that their exclusion from Rhymanthiin (which she agrees with) will lead them to becoming increasingly isolated and vulnerable. She wants to find a haven where she can live with her man in peace and raise a family, and this goal governs much of her thinking.

And last but not least, I even had to cut the dedication:

George Krashos would like to thank Steven Schend, Eytan Bernstein, Eric L. Boyd, Brian Cortijo, Thomas M. Costa and Ed Greenwood for their wisdom pertaining to all things Realmsian and their assistance in bringing the Renegades of Darkhold into the light. He owes them all a generous tallglass of Tashlutan Amberthroat.

Hope this gives you a few more glimpses into this interesting couple.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  13:49:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, Krash! Thanks for sharing it.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  17:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you George!

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  22:15:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is great work George, thanks for posting it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000