Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun of the near future?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blake_Alexander
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  03:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Blake_Alexander's Homepage Send Blake_Alexander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've recently been asked to run a campaign in which the player characters will be the children of some of the player's previous character that the players have been playing since the days of early 2nd edition. After doing some figuring, I've found that the earliest I can justify starting the campaign is 1380. Since the current year in the published Realms material is 1374, I'm currious what changes the scribe here at Candlekeep would suggest that I include in my campaign? (For reference the rolecall thus far would include one character from Tantras, two from Ravensbluff, one from Waterdeep, one from Orlbar, and at least two from Cormanthyr)

Blake_Alexander
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  03:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Blake_Alexander's Homepage Send Blake_Alexander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that the years from 1374 to 1380 are as follows:

1375 Risen Elfkin
1376 Bent Blade
1377 The Hunting
1378 The Cauldron
1379 The Lost Keep
1380 The Blazing Hand

From there vague (prophetic) references, I'm assuming that the elves will continue to propers in Cormanthyr and that the hostilies in the Dalelands/Moonsea/Cormanthyr might begin draw towards a close by the end of 1376. The hunting seems to be a reference to the followers of Malar. As far as the Cauldron and Lost Keep, I'm not sure what the referce might include, nor as I sure what to make of the reference to blazing hand. Any thoughts or suggestions here?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  04:10:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to point out that Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are usually cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, and many of them are nothing more than just the year names. The idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to.

And here's a little from Ed -

"And I'm afraid I must disagree.
To quote Ed's internal TSR guide to the Realms (which he adapted from the "starter guide" given to we players in his home campaign):

Although there were (and are still) some "alternative local names" for some years, in general, the Roll of Years is known to all sages, all heralds, and copies are kept at all temples. Most bards and even travelling minstrels are aware of the next dozen or so upcoming years, and it is a popular pasttime among many guilds and most nobles, everywhere in Faerūn, to speculate on (and invest or direct activities accordingly, even to placing wagers in some situations) what year names may mean.

So saith Ed. The way Ed runs the Realms, the "average farmer or city dweller" might not give two hoots, most of the time (unless dragons are flying overhead or armies are on the move), there are plenty of rumors flying around about conspiracies, the drow coming up from the depths, lost kingdoms rising bubbling out of the sea, dragons or dwarves surging to carve out new realms, and so on, linked to various year names.
Sorry, Kentinal, but that's the way Ed has always run it. This has been de-emphasized in published Realmslore so Realms game designers and especially novelists could "make up a plot" if they needed or wanted to, tied to a year name, without having every Realms fan "know what was coming" because said plot has already been published.
love to all,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Blake_Alexander
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  05:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Blake_Alexander's Homepage Send Blake_Alexander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information from Ed, Sage of Candlekeep. Although I know that the prophecies might detail different events of a non-realms altering degree, I thought they might given me, or one of the sages of Candlekeep offering me advice a place to jump off from. In any event, I think the Year of Rising Elfkin at least somewhat of a reflection of events that have taken place of late in Cormanthyr...but then again, the writers at Wizards might prove me wrong
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  22:42:44  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my own campaign year of the Risen Elfkin was the end of "The Retreat". In game terms this meant that this little voice in each surface elf's head calling "Go to Evermeet, and forget the lands of Faeurun" ended. I didnt want to have marching armies of Elves going to Cormmanthor, for the time being at least

For the next years i dont plan to introduce something related with the years name in my game, of course this can change if am interested in some events in a future novel

On the Year of the Lost Keep i am thinking (we havent been there yet) to have Zhents with Shades allies to take over Hillsfar.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 26 May 2007 22:43:40
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  12:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also might be interesting to look at the shadow roll of years that appears in the latest Cormyr adventure. Perhaps the Sharran names for the same years might provide some additional inspiration for future events.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  17:22:03  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1380, the year of the blazing hand. What gods and organizations have a blazing hand as their symbol or part of their symbol?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Blake_Alexander
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  03:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Blake_Alexander's Homepage Send Blake_Alexander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the preview write up of the Shadowdale adventure is any indication of where the future events are headed, it appears that there will be a an uprising of Dalesmen led by adventures that will liberate Shadowdale from it's current controlers sometime in the next year. The question would be, if successful would the dalemen be able to hold Shadowdale once it was retaken?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  04:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

1380, the year of the blazing hand. What gods and organizations have a blazing hand as their symbol or part of their symbol?

Speaking as one who helped codify that list, the blazing hand most obviously could be Bane's.....or it could be Kossuth's.....or it could be anyone's spell hand of fire crushing the life out of a local celebrity....

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2007 :  10:00:47  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Speaking as one who helped codify that list, the blazing hand most obviously could be Bane's.....or it could be Kossuth's.....or it could be anyone's spell hand of fire crushing the life out of a local celebrity....

SES

Oh dear...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2007 :  10:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could also be an Azuth reference, as it does sound somewhat more grand than 'year of the shiny digiy'
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2007 :  15:03:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

SES

So, about codifying the list... Was there any particular rhyme or reason to what names were assigned to what years?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  21:58:13  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Flaming Fist mercenaries...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  23:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As pointed out before, though, the name of a year need not refer to anything "important" such as an existing organization.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Grumpy Celt
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  01:51:23  Show Profile  Visit The Grumpy Celt's Homepage Send The Grumpy Celt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
'year of the shiny digiy'

The most horrific year, ever!

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye."
-Vecna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page