Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sale price for a Wand of Faith Healing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  14:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

How much do you reckon a Wand of Faith Healing should be?

You reckon 750gp like a Wand of Cure Light wounds?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  14:30:12  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that Faith Healing spell can only effect those of the same patron, but it doesn't state if the diety is choosen before the wand is made.

Like a priest of Tymora creates a wand of faith healing, does that wand only work on worshippers of Tymora? Or does it work for the patron of the wand user?

If the former, it should be more expensive as it is more restrictive than a wand of cure light wounds. If that latter, then it might make sense to use that price.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  14:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Would say it depends who you buy it form. (Market Price is 750 gp)

If it is from a church, I would go higher 775 – 800gp but if its form a fiend it could go fore 750gp

A magic store would sell it fore 110% ore 120% of the Market Price, so it would be: 750+75= 825gp / 750+150gp=900gp

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 16 May 2007 15:10:00
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  15:05:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Im guessing a Wand of Faith healing would be "Precoded" by the faith of cleric who created it

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  18:19:31  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Yeah Im guessing a Wand of Faith healing would be "Precoded" by the faith of cleric who created it

Three ways of looking at it.
The wand is nothing more than a battery, and the divine caster is the one that controls the energy within a limited pattern (the specific spell), so any divine caster can use it regardless of faith.

Or

As Dargoth suggested, and this is the way I go with. Very much like above, but the energy is aspected to a specific diety.

or

and lastly, the wand holds nothing more than the specific spell, and thus it will be dedicated to whatever diety was involved in the creation.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  20:52:43  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, actually, I asked Sean Reynolds this exact same question about a Wand of Faith Healing when Magic of Faerun first came out! His reply was:

"...The only requirement to use a wand is that you have that spell on your spell list. A wand only stores magical power, not ethics or anything like that. If you somehow had a wand of raise dead, any cleric could use it to raise the dead, even if the target was a person of opposite ethos to the wand's creator; likewise, the person being raised would know the person trying to raise them. The wand is just a specially-tuned battery of power.
The power in the wand doesn't know it was made by a Tymoran. Thus, the target of the spell must be of the faith of the caster
[i.e. the current user of the wand]. All effects of the spell are decided by the caster, even if some of those "decisions" aren't active decisions (such as "I'm going to continue to be a paladin of Lathander while I use this wand")."

This means that any Rogue or Bard who can make a Use Magic Device check can use a Wand of Faith Healing on himself! Now the ramifications of this (and for that matter, the whole issue of the Faith Healing spell itself) are quite interesting!

In my campaign, the cleric routinely tells other PCs who don't have Lathander as their "patron deity" "Oh, if only I could use my Faith Healing spells on you! I guess you'll have to settle for a Cure Light Wound". This spell seems to fly directly in the face of Ed's repeated assertions that few people in the Realms have only one patron deity; I wonder if he even believes in using this spell?

What's occurring (slowly but surely) in my group of PCs is that the ranger sees himself get healed for 1d8+4 (average 8-or less; the cleric's a lousy roller) and then the fighter (who worships Lathander) gets healed for 13 points every time! And the cleric points out that it's a more "efficent" use of his standard actions in combat to heal the fighter than anyone else...The ranger is about ready to "convert" in order to get reliable healing, but the rogue and the wizard refuse!

Edited by - thom on 16 May 2007 20:54:23
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  22:27:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because people have multiple patrons in the Realms doesn't mean that a divine caster of a given god wouldn't recieve the ability to help their own direct allies a bit more than others. Even if you are kind and generous to everyone you meet, you are likely to be a bit kinder to your children than you are to the neighbor kids.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  02:07:08  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I use the Faith Healing spell as a "test" of one's faith. While one can have many Patron Dieties in the Realms, one still has a Primary Patron, the one that their Soul would go to in the afterlife, and it is this Patron Diety that I base whether a Faith Healing spell will work on a person or not.

An example of such a test. A Priestess of Lolth has an accused heretic before her, cuts her with a dagger then uses Faith Healing to cure the minor wound, if there is no effect, the dagger will come down again, but this time to take the heart.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000