Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dungeon #148 - Wells of Darkness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  13:43:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dungeon #148 has an adventure I wrote entitled "The Wells of Darkness." Although it is a "generic adventure", it's set in the Abyss, so it's easily used in the Realms. Moreover, it has a Forgotten Realms "Easter Egg" I couldn't resist.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  13:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 73 Layer of the Abyss known as The Wells of Darkness...

Sound Great.. What level is this adventure fore ?

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 04 May 2007 13:51:57
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  14:48:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

The 73 Layer of the Abyss known as The Wells of Darkness...

Sound Great.. What level is this adventure fore ?

Not 100% sure. (The adventure before it that was just published is higher than I expected by 1, so they may have bumped mine up by 1.)

17th or 18th, I would assume.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  22:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really looking forward to this one! It should be awesome!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  02:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mad me curious about the Easter Egg…. What is it… ? A Dragon egg ore a magic item

Let here something about this adventure eric……

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 05 May 2007 02:24:16
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  02:47:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

You mad me curious about the Easter Egg…. What is it… ? A Dragon egg ore a magic item

Let here something about this adventure eric……

He means a sly wink and nod to the Realms. You'll have to be on your toes to pick up the reference.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  03:08:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know I can only remmeber 2 mentions of Demogorgon in the FR lore

Baldurs gate 2 (The Prince of Demons appears in the expansion)and in published realms lore and one of the leaders of the Flaming Fist has Demogorgons true name on a scroll

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2007 :  02:28:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

you know I can only remmeber 2 mentions of Demogorgon in the FR lore

Baldurs gate 2 (The Prince of Demons appears in the expansion)and in published realms lore and one of the leaders of the Flaming Fist has Demogorgons true name on a scroll

There is another - Ed's mention of him in his "Ecology of the Ixitchachitl". Beware of red herrings though. The FR nod might not have anything to do with the two-headed monkey.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  21:22:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got my copy of issue 148, and while I haven't completely dug into it yet (Spoilers for those that haven't received it yet):

I guess if I had waited for another month or so when I asked my question about Astaroth I'd have figured out an answer on my own, eh? I really liked that Astaroth's fate was tied into Gargauth's. Has it ever been mentioned before that Gargauth's position was Treasurer of Hell?

Looking forward to reading through the entire adventure.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  10:21:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Just got my copy of issue 148, and while I haven't completely dug into it yet (Spoilers for those that haven't received it yet):

I guess if I had waited for another month or so when I asked my question about Astaroth I'd have figured out an answer on my own, eh? I really liked that Astaroth's fate was tied into Gargauth's. Has it ever been mentioned before that Gargauth's position was Treasurer of Hell?

Looking forward to reading through the entire adventure.

The Treasurer of Hell ref comes from Dragon #91 or Dragon #28, IIRC.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 05 Jun 2007 10:23:33
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  11:16:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric . . . also very cool that you used binders. One of my favorite "non standard" classes.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  11:52:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Eric . . . also very cool that you used binders. One of my favorite "non standard" classes.

Mine too. More on this in the accompanying Savage Tidings article.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  00:14:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed that the end of the article mentioned three more vestiges in the Savage Tidings complementary piece. I very much looking forward to this. The adventure looks great so far, by the way. Ever since the adventure path hit the Abyss (well, pretty much since the Aboleth city came into the picture), my interest in it has really picked up.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  00:19:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I noticed that the end of the article mentioned three more vestiges in the Savage Tidings complementary piece. I very much looking forward to this. The adventure looks great so far, by the way. Ever since the adventure path hit the Abyss (well, pretty much since the Aboleth city came into the picture), my interest in it has really picked up.

Glad you liked the adventure. Hope you like the denouement. Trying not to spoil it, but that was my favorite part. FWIW, the howdah reference comes from the 1e Fiend Folio.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  00:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Between Dungeon 148 and now Dragon 357, you've done a spectacular job including and building upon the lore of the Abyss. Absolutely spectacular job, especially with including mention of Gargauth, decribing the Fraternity of Order a few times (and naming a prior 'child factol' was a nice touch), and including the baernaloths in conjunction with Cabiri (and implying that he was locked away in the Wells by either the 'loths or the 'loths makers for knowing too much).

So much lore to work my way through. Be still my fiendish heart.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  14:04:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

Between Dungeon 148 and now Dragon 357, you've done a spectacular job including and building upon the lore of the Abyss. Absolutely spectacular job, especially with including mention of Gargauth, decribing the Fraternity of Order a few times (and naming a prior 'child factol' was a nice touch), and including the baernaloths in conjunction with Cabiri (and implying that he was locked away in the Wells by either the 'loths or the 'loths makers for knowing too much).

So much lore to work my way through. Be still my fiendish heart.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the adventure and accompanying article.

--Eric

PS The baernaloth reference was inspired by your many postings.

PPS I think the name of the child-factol may have come from the poster map in Planes of Chaos where the Wells of Darkness were first mentioned. I'd have to go back and check. I did attempt to bridge that reference which characterized the Wells as a prison/cemetery with FC1 which emphasized the prison aspect.

--
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  00:48:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, just wanted to let you know that I really loved this adventure, and even if I never run the Savage Tide (which I may), I'd love to use elements of this adventure in a campaign at some point in time. Great story, great tidbits of lore, and great opourtunities for roleplaying. Oh yeah, I have a question for you pertaining to this particular adventure, and its denouement (Spoilers:)

When Demogorgon reroutes the river Styx at the end of the adventure, does he do this physically himself, or use some other means to do this? I ask because I was picturing the sky breaking open like cracked glass, and a massive tentacle hanging through the rift, as the air is filled with the water from the Styx.

For some reason I just like the thought of this giant tentacle dangling through the sky, and it would be a great way to intimidate the PCs, as they stop and think about how massive and powerful this thing is that they might have to face.

Oh, and I just reread that entry in the 1st edition Fiend Folio . . . nice way to pick up on an old piece of information there.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 15 Jun 2007 00:50:26
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  01:26:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric, just wanted to let you know that I really loved this adventure, and even if I never run the Savage Tide (which I may), I'd love to use elements of this adventure in a campaign at some point in time. Great story, great tidbits of lore, and great opourtunities for roleplaying. Oh yeah, I have a question for you pertaining to this particular adventure, and its denouement (Spoilers:)

When Demogorgon reroutes the river Styx at the end of the adventure, does he do this physically himself, or use some other means to do this? I ask because I was picturing the sky breaking open like cracked glass, and a massive tentacle hanging through the rift, as the air is filled with the water from the Styx.

For some reason I just like the thought of this giant tentacle dangling through the sky, and it would be a great way to intimidate the PCs, as they stop and think about how massive and powerful this thing is that they might have to face.

My intent was that it was a triggered contingency, but I really like your imagery. The only thing to explain is why he does't arrive personally then.

The scene was motivated by the thought of "how do you take a secret back."

quote:

Oh, and I just reread that entry in the 1st edition Fiend Folio . . . nice way to pick up on an old piece of information there.

Thanks. It was such a bizarre, but compelling, image, I figured I had to include it somehow.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 15 Jun 2007 01:28:15
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  01:56:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, point taken . . . I guess my thought was that with everything on his mind it would almost me like an after thought, "oh, she got loose, we must tie up that loose end," WHAM, "ah, yes . . . what was I doing again . . . "

I'll think about this one though . . . you bring up a really good point, but I love that image.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 15 Jun 2007 01:57:05
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2007 :  19:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the adventure a couple of days ago and have enjoyed reading it, and are looking forward to run it sometime (probably in my homebrew setting).
I ran a succubus sorcerer encounter a few years back, and it cool to see your take on classed succubuses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000