Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Epic Class- Blade paragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  20:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Blade Paragon

Level -- Special
1 -- Truth of the Blade - Twin blades
2 -- Flurry of death/ 1 day
3 -- Secret of the blade-Frenzy of the hunter
4 -- Flurry of death/ 2 day- Bonus feat
5 -- Blade weave
6 -- Flurry of death/ 3 day- Secret of the blade -Art of the double cut
7 -- Blade weave (greater)
8 -- Flurry of death/ 4 day - Bonus feat
9 -- Secret of the blade- Faith in the blade
10 -- Flurry of death/ 5 day

Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: D8

Prerequisites
Base Attack Bonus:
+25
Feats:Weapon focus (slashing weapon), Ambidexterity, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Spring attack, Combat Reflexes, Improved Critical (any one handed or light slashing weapon),Power Attack, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Two Weapon Defense, Dodge, Mobility, Greater Two Weapon fighting, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization
Epic Feats: Epic Weapon Focus (any one handed or light slashing weapon), Perfect Two Weapon Fighting, Epic Weapon Specialization

Special: Must have single-handely defeated at least 20 opponents of equal or greater strength than yours in melee combat using a pair of unenchanted slashing weapons without armor on. OR You may then request to be trained by a current Blade paragon. And do a task or quest of his choosing to prove yourself worth.

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Flavor Text
Just as there are paragons in nature there are paragons in other aspects of the world. The Blade paragon represents the highest level of skill a true
swordsmen can ever hope to attain. Swordfighting is a art form and the Blade paragons are the Grandmasters of there craft. There are two ways to become a Blade Paragon . 1 way the Blade paragon class can be obtained throu countless hours or training and a lifetime of mortal combat exsperence culmanating in a grand melee with you using only a pair of masterwork blades and you wits to survive. After you are the last man standing you retreat to a place of solitude and meditate on your life and style of swordsmenship and how to improve yourself. After 24 Hours of uninterupted meditation you are instantly enlighted and you come upon secrets few other have ever dreamed of. The other way is to seek the tutaledge of a Current Blade Paragon and humbly beg him/her to teach you there ways. The Master Paragon Can then send you on a task or quest of great diffuculty to prove you worth. If you are able to complete this task in the time constrained issued to you by the master you can then learn from him the secrets of the blade paragon. Word of mouth travels fast and new Blade paragons my soon find themselves welcomed in city and hailed by merchants looking for a skilled blade, But conversely they may also find themselves constanly targeted by wouldbe challengers and assassins looking for a reputation boost and seeking to dig it out with there dagger from the small of your back...

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency - Characters gain no proficiency with any weapons of armor

Twin Blades: All the class features of this class can only be used if the Blade Paragon is wielding a pair of slashing melee who benefit of the Improved Critical and Epic Weapon Focus. For ease of reference, this weapns are refered as the twin blades.

Truth of the Blade (Ex): At 1st level, when the Blade Paragon makes a full attack when wielding his twin blades, he gains an extra attack at his full attack bonus which each wielded weapon. This effect does not stack with extra attacks gained from other sources, such as weapons with the speed enchantment or the haste spell.

Secret of the Blade: Starting at the 3rd level and following at 6th and 9th levels, the Blade Paragon deep focus and meditation allows him to develop a powerful ability related to his blades.

Secrets must be taken in order given

Frenzy of he Hunter (Ex): At 3rd level, a blade paragon learns how to enter a frenzy of battle once per day, gaining a +14 bonus to Strength, and a +6 bonus to Dexterity and Constitution. The blade paragon may choose to end this frenzy prematurely, but otherwise it lasts for (3 rounds +1 round per each point of the Blade paragon improved Constitution score).

For the duration of the frenzy, the Blade Paragon takes -10 penalty to ac, 15 points of subdual damage per round, incapability of recognized friend or foe and incapability to activate magic items in rage.
When he end his frenzy, he also becomes fatigued for a number of rounds equal to the rounds he spent in the frenzy. Starting or ending the frenzy is a free action for the Blade Paragon. Also if the Blade paragon uses the Frenzy of the hunter speacial ability in conjunction with the flurry of death after both rages end, the BP becomes exhausted. If they both end at the same time, the BP takes 1d10 of Constitution damage instead. The damage lasts for 1 hour.

Art of the Double Cut (Ex): At 6th level, a Blade Paragon which rolls a natural 20 on an attack roll against a foe can immediatelly make an extra attack (at the same attack bonus) against the same foe.

Faith in the Blade (Su): At 9th level, the Blade Paragon's connection to his blades is so strong that he can execute a powerful strike that not only wounds a careless foe, but also allows him to recover from damage. Using this ability is a full round action that do not provokes an attack. After using this ability, the next attack the Blade paragon makes against a corporeal living creature who is denied of its Dexterity bonus to AC not only deals normal damage, but heals the Blade Paragon of damage equal to the damage dealt with the first attack. This ability does not allow the Blade Paragon to gain temporary hit points if the damage healed would surpass his normal hp total. Cannot be used in combination with Flurry of death or Frenzy of the Hunter.

-------------------------------------------------

Flurry of Death (Ex): At 2nd level, the Blade Paragon can enter into a state of temporary battlelust that greatly enhances his combat skill once per day.

When in this state, the blade paragon gains a + 10 on all attack and damage rolls and gains 2 extra additional attacks with each weapon wielded when making a full attack (this stacks with the benefits of the Truth of the Blade class feature). However, if you do not drop any creature (killing it or reducing his hit points to 0) after 5 rounds, you automatically end this state, become fatigued and take a -15 penalty to attack and damage rolls for the next 5 rounds. Any movement of the BP provokes an attack of opportunity. It also loses the bennefits of blade weave and is treated as flat-footed when attacked.Also if the Blade paragon uses the Frenzy of the hunter speacial ability in conjunction with the flurry of death after both rages end, the BP becomes exhausted. If they both end at the same time, the BP takes 1d10 of Constitution damage instead. The damage lasts for 1 hour.

Entering the flurry of death is a free action. At every even level above the 2nd (4th, 6th, etc), the blade paragon gains an extra daily use of Flurry of Death.

Bonus Feat: At level 4 and every 4 levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, etc) the blade paragon gains a bonus feat from the Epic Fighter bonus feat list. he must meet all the prerequisites for the seleced feat.

Blade Weave (Ex): At 5th level, a Blade Paragon gains a Dodge bonus to armor class equal to half his class level, rounded up. This bonus applies only against ranged attacks and spells that require a ranged touch attack

As a move action, the Blade Paragon may choose to extend this armor class bonus against any type of attack (melee or ranged) until the beggining of his next turn.

Starting at level 7 the blade paragon's dodge bonus increases to 1/2 his class levels +2.

Edited by - Grandmaster Kane on 17 Jun 2007 23:29:44

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  21:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does this fit in with the Realms, and what makes it different from any other core stuff?

From a mechanics point of view, "Must use a bladed weapon" and "Weapons must be the same size" aren't really appropriate as character prerequisites, it just doesn't make sense. It would be better to say for example "The Blade Paragon loses all special abilities when not using two bladed weapons of the same size"
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  21:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And how is this Blade Paragon -PrC related to the Realms? Have you written any history or other Realms-specific fluff about it?

If you want to opinion on this Prestige Class, I feel it is way overpowered. I would never let anything like this fly in my campaigns, even with Epic Level characters. Why? Let's take a look at some of the class features:

Deathess Frenzy. A fixed amount (+50) of extra hit points that last for an hour? And this stacks with the +10 bonus to Con? No other significant (mechanical) drawbacks in addition to the permanent Int and Cha loss? (which may be totally acceptable to some players...). I seem to recall that all other Rage/Frenzy -type of features also include AC and Will Save penalties, and more importantly, the possibility to harm your allies... why not this one?
The Flurry of Death -ability grants the highest bonuses I have seen anywhere, and its only drawback is the Con loss... a cheap price, since the benefits of this ability should be, in my estimation, enough to kill an avatar.
The Blade Weave -feature doesn't even have a drawback... it grants you a +10 *general* (stacks with everything) bonus to your AC for no apparent reason or sacrifice (since at Epic Levels you probably use Full Attack most of the time).
The only seemingly balanced class feature seems to be the Art of the Double Cut, which actually copies the benefit of the "two light maces"- fighting style ("Lightning mace" or something? I don't remember its actual name) from Complete Warrior.

My conclusion is that you've built an "uber combo" PrC with a certain strategy in mind: use Dire Charge to slam at your enemies on the first round with a Full Attack. Then, keep on using the Blade Weave, and probably crippling your opponents. Deathless Frenzy and Flurry of Death may be reserved for those rare occasions when your even otherwise ultimate fighting capabilities seem not to be enough (sort of like a nuclear threat - you know you can unleash a literal Hell at your enemies, although at a minor cost to yourself). Who cares about "permanently" (a loose term in D&D) losing some ability points if you could defeat, for example, Tempus in single combat?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  21:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Where does this fit in with the Realms, and what makes it different from any other core stuff?

From a mechanics point of view, "Must use a bladed weapon" and "Weapons must be the same size" aren't really appropriate as character prerequisites, it just doesn't make sense. It would be better to say for example "The Blade Paragon loses all special abilities when not using two bladed weapons of the same size"

Ah, you beat me to it, Kaladorm!

I agree - the change you suggested for the prerequisites is far better than the original.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  02:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have had some heavy battle testing and i have now posted this new and improved bladed paragon class
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  23:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More testing and now it is pretty much complete
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000