Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Uldoon Trail
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  16:35:10  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay I've done a little digging and came up with nothing on this. Does anyone know where the name Uldoon came from? Was it a person, a city, or something else? Thank you for any help.

You never fail until you stop trying.

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  20:14:51  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two possibilities come to mind:
1) Uldoon dates back to the days of the Talfir and might refer to a now disappeared hamlet in the Greenfields. The Uldoon trail led from this hamlet to Berdusk

2) Uldoon is the name of immigrant Tethyrian or Calishite origin (The river Sulduskoon has a namesake in Tethyr, and the Suldusk tribe of Elves lives in teh forest of Tethir)

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 29 Mar 2007 20:22:06
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  23:54:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the write-up of the sword Dornavver, "Demonbane" in 'Champions of Valor'.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  01:06:57  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for the replies. I found the entry in Champions of Valor and it answered my question. Thanks again.

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  15:22:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad I made it up for you then.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  18:01:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I had not spotted the reference in CoV. It looks like my guesses were not too far off from what you made up.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  22:14:45  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the reference in Champions of Valor: The wizard Uldoon was a ruthless – some say insane – spellhurler who consorted with many denizens of the Lower Planes. I felt inspired to expand a little…

In the Year of Recompense (–150 DR) Narfell and Raumathar battle each other to annihilation. A surviving and renegade Nar Demonbinder makes her way to Calimshan, and establishes herself within that country. The lore of the Demonbinder is secretly passed on and one of the inheritors of this lore is a young mage born in the emirate of Amin – close to present-day Athkatla – by the name of Uldoon.

While it is not known if he was a Nar Demonbinder, Ihundyl the Mad Mage did tutor Uldoon for a few years, and possibly influenced the wizard to establish a realm of his own.

When Lord Ashar Tornamn pushes the boundaries of Valashar – and thereby the Shoon Imperium – northward, Uldoon is one of Tornamn’s supporters and rewarded with a small fiefdom north of the Cloudpeaks.

When Crown Prince Azoun I drives the Shoonite forces back, in the Year of the Leaping Hare, his armies bypass the more western fringes of Valashar and Uldoon escapes defeat at the hands of the Cormerian army.

With his liege gone and the rule of the Shoon back behind the Cloudpeaks, Uldoon steps into the power vacuum and establishes the small realm of Torsil. The Mage of Fangs uses summoned fiends to enforce his rule and harass neighboring holds and the elves in Glimmerwood.

Within a few years of the founding of Torsil, a paladin of Ilmater, wielding the magical sword Dornavver, vanquishes Uldoon’s infernal allies as well as the mage himself. The area returns to no-man’s land and the reign of terror is over, though several banished fiends return with a vengeance almost a millennium later at Dragonspear Castle.

Notes & References:
223 DR Year of Dark Dreams: Ihundyl, the Mad Mage, is exiled from the Calishite city of Volothamp for his monstrous experiments and his inability to control creatures he summoned from the Abyss.

231 DR Year of the Mist Dragon: Ihundyl the Mad Mage conquers Meiritin’s largest settlement and declares himself ruler of the Calishar Emirates. Mild unrest farther south near Shoonach delays a military response from the Shoon Empire.

238 DR Year of Many Mushrooms: A wandering apprentice, Elminster, and his tutor, Myrjala Dark-Eyes, destroy Ihundyl the Mad Mage this summer.

Page 62 – Champions of Valor, description of Dornavver

Timeline referencing: A Grand History of the Forgotten Realms – by Brian R James
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  07:45:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000