Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How are Drow perceived?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  21:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After reading a thread on ALFA, I have a topic that I'd like to see discussed in light of the many Drow PC's that have been created since Drizzt was introduced to the gaming masses.

Just how are Drow (in general) to be treated outside of their homeland and/or on the surface realms? How have they been treated in your games as both PC's and NPC's?

When Yasraena was first created, I fully expected to get nothing but fear, hatred and violence as my initial reactions from people she met on the surface. I think I was more a hindrance than an asset to the party at first because of this. I can't count the number of times we were driven out of town, not even allowed to enter towns, or were just outright attacked because of having a Drow elf in the party.
A Drow elf is one to be feared and hated on sight, if only because of the things that the race as a whole has done in the past. This shouldn't be the case ALL of the time, because there are those individuals that judge not by looks, but by actions. But still, a feeling of mistrust, at least at first, should always be present when dealing with an unknown Drow. If the Drow in question has a reputation for good that has preceeded them, then maybe these instinctive feelings should be less, but not completely dismissed. Some of Drizzt's encounters are perfect exammples of this. Even HE gets the cold shoulder and threatened in places he's not known, and he's at least been heard of, even in some of the remotest places of Faerun.
I'd really like to hear the experiences of those who either have played Drow PC's or GM's that have run them, or Drow in general.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  21:58:35  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see. I played a drow PC. He was not very well excepted, not even in the group itself, and as you describe, we where run out of towns and villages. Hunted by elves, beaten by dwarves and so on. The only exception was when we made a job for Lord Ulath in Deepingdale.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  22:58:46  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my game I make it very difficult for Drow players. Not because I don't like them, but because I like Roleplaying Challenges. Usually the situations can be circumvented but the party really has to work at it. I have had a party with a Good drow wizard that had a reputation. He was good in MOST places. THen I had a player with drow fighter thief. Nobody knew he was a drow because he wore a black face mask. He said he was a gold elf that was burned by a Black Dragon. Eventually the mask came off at higher level, but the drow had such a reputation as a powerful fighter that most people left him alone. (You can read about this character in URB and fooling the world under the Campaign Logs) He was not nice, but he certainly was not evil.

In my game there are three main assassin guilds. The CITADEL OF ASSASSINS, The ASSASSINS of Calimport, and the Assassin's Guild of RIlauven (A drow city). The Rilauven guild is run by the Grandfather of Assassins Quietus N'A' Lespit, and his name is known and feared throughout my world. This Drow Grandfather of Assassins has done nothing good for the reputation of DROW. I do not however pick on drow alone. Half ORC, and other humanoids have an AWFUL time in the adventures. For Dark Elves the prejudice is out of FEAR. For Half-Orcs the prejudice is out of LOATHING. A completely different dynamic.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  04:17:23  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general, life for Drow Elves anywhere, even in Drow cities, is a difficult one. On the surface they usually find themselves hunted by various bands of torch bearing villagers. They tend to attract lots of people out to kill them, even if they manage to establish a reputation of trustworthiness and honor.

Playing an evil Drow on the surface is much easier than a good Drow on the surface. Evil Drow don't have to change their ways much ont eh surface, and those bands of Lvl. 1 torch bearing commoners aren't so much a problem.

Generally speaking, as PCs it can be a nightmare int he begining, since the random bands of mercenaries tend to pop up to try and kill them at the worst times. Every after the get higher level and establish a reputation of one kind or another, they are still plagued by mercenaries, villages, guards, ect., and it can be rather annoying. As NPCs, well it really depends, largely on the outlook of my party at the time. they can be tolerent, intolerent, fearful, hateful, really any kind of reaction that fits the current party's ethos.

For the most part, they aren't really tolerated rather universally, and even when they are excepted someplace, there are always people coming out the woodwork to try and kill them anyways.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  04:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of right now I can tell you that in our RPG, there really isn't any scornful looks or bad luck being shot Sadon's way. We have a more diverse group and everyone kind of considers her companions to be very strange. (even moreso than herself). But then again, we've only been to one city and a village. (Sadie's traveling companions are a doppleganger, a dwarf, a fire genisai, a half-elf, two tieflings (both of different types), and two humans...not counting her psicrystal and the five Krenshar that are with them. Three of which she's training). I'm sure that after her and her companions have traveled around a bit, she will start getting noticed more. So time will tell what people think of her.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie

Edited by - Sadonayerah Odrydin on 02 May 2003 04:19:48
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  05:34:18  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadonayerah Odrydin:
quote:
As of right now I can tell you that in our RPG, there really isn't any scornful looks or bad luck being shot Sadon's way. We have a more diverse group and everyone kind of considers her companions to be very strange. (even moreso than herself). But then again, we've only been to one city and a village. (Sadie's traveling companions are a doppleganger, a dwarf, a fire genisai, a half-elf, two tieflings (both of different types), and two humans...not counting her psicrystal and the five Krenshar that are with them. Three of which she's training). I'm sure that after her and her companions have traveled around a bit, she will start getting noticed more. So time will tell what people think of her.

I think even a Drow would be lost in that crowd.

What is a Kreshnar?

mournblade: Grandfather of Assassins? My god, man, that's ... that's 1e stuff.

Making it tough on Drow PCs makes sense, going by the example of Drizzt in Salvatore's books. If a race has the rep of being ready to boil your baby for breakfast, who's going to take the time to find out that this particular Drow is Menzo<whatever's> greatest wet nurse?

The game I am currently playing in is set in Middle Earth, but the GM has intriduced Drow into the world. They are strictly figures of menace and dread, although we have mown them down with surprising ease, often due to incredible luck. During one particular encounter, a Drow assassin missed a 95% chance to kill a magically held character and another eviscerated himself on a fumbled attack roll (it required an 00 on the fumble result roll, by the way).
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  06:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadon:
I'd have to agree with Bran on that one. I think even a Githayanki could get lost in that crowd!
Just what is a Fire Genisai and a Krenshar? I've never heard of either one.

Bran:
DROW IN A MERP GAME!?!?!?! Man, is THAT stretching it.
Actually, I'm curious as to your GM's reasoning behind that. Considering there weren't any Drow in the mythos, how'd they get there? Did he just take the Moriquendi and make them Drow?

As I've seen in the replies so far, I think most everyone agrees that playing a Drow in general should not be easy, and actually down right hard at times. One of the reasons I posted this topic was because of some of what I read on the ALFA board. There were actually some there that were complaining about how tough it is for Drow on the surface, how there's not any safe places for them, how they're always being persecuted, etc, etc. That attitude just cracks me up. Did they expect it to be easy? I think these people have either no clue as to what Drow REALLY are, or just like to complain. I've seen so many games with Drow PC's in them that make it soooooo easy for them, it really saddens me. It's like they're taking away the sense of the unknown and mystery of the race, and making them into just another elven ofshoot.
I realize there are good drow, but they are really the exception to the race. As Bran said, (and I paraphrase here) When a race is known primarilly for the evil they do, no one is going to wait and see if this particular one has good intentions.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  08:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since both Yasraena and Branmakmuffin want to know what a krenshar is, and the former also doesn't know about genasai, I'll take a moment to explain both.

The first I also didn't know about when Sadon mentioned it to me, but I quickly found it in a PDF Artalis was kind enough to give me.

quote:
From the Monster Manual:

Krenshar

Medium-Size Magical Beast

Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)

Initiative: +2 (Dex)

Speed: 40 ft.

AC: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural)

Attacks: Bite +2 melee, 2 claws +0 melee

Damage: Bite 1d6, claw 1d4

Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: Scare

Special Qualities: Scent

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1

Abilities: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 11, Int_6, Wis 12, Cha 13

Skills: Hide +4, Jump +4, Listen +4, Move Silently +6

Feats: Multiattack

Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm forest and plains

Organization: Solitary, pair, or pride (6-10)

Challenge Rating: 1

Treasure: None

Alignment: Always neutral

Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium-size); 5-8 HD (Large)

Combat

Krenshars use solitary scouts to drive prey into the waiting clutches of the pack. The scout appears from hiding, uses its scareability, then chases the fleeing target to join the attack.

Scare (Ex or Su): As a standard action, a krenshar can pull the skin back from its head, revealing the musculature and bony structures of its skull. This alone is usually sufficient to scare away foes (treat as a Bluff check with a +3 bonus). Combining this scare ability with a loud screech produces an unsettling effect that works like scare cast by a 3rd-level sorcerer (save DC 12). If the save is successful, that opponent cannot be affected gain by that krenshar’s scare ability for one day. The shriek does not affect other krenshars.

Ugly little critters, if you ask me. Anyway, the genasai:

quote:
From the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting:

Genasai are descended from elemental-related creatures, such as efreet, dao, djinn, jann, and marids, among others. Most of them have had no direct contact with their elemental forebears, but the signs of their heritage are apparant. Genasai take great pride in their distinctive features and abilities.

Now then. Back to the topic.

I have to say that I can't believe how many drow are used in roleplaying. I haven't seen that many (zero, in fact, and any non-newbie knows why, so I won't repeat it ), but from what I've heard on various scrolls throughout this forum, it's got to be way out of kilter. I mean, how many good-aligned drow do you think could have made it through the constant testing and struggle that is the drow culture? They'd either be dead or they'd have to turn just like the rest for shear survival. Only a very small few might hide -- and even fewer would make it to the highly alien surface.

Even all that aside -- why would playing a drow be easy? It's supposed to be a challenge. D&D is full of racial stereotypes -- humans are impulsive, elves are arrogant, orcs are animals, dwarves are greedy, halflings will steal everything you own, and drow are merciless and evil. Interaction between species should always take into acount how much a stereotype is known and how much individuals would be influenced by them -- negatively or positively.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

After reading a thread on ALFA, I have a topic that I'd like to see discussed in light of the many Drow PC's that have been created since Drizzt was introduced to the gaming masses.

Just how are Drow (in general) to be treated outside of their homeland and/or on the surface realms? How have they been treated in your games as both PC's and NPC's?

When Yasraena was first created, I fully expected to get nothing but fear, hatred and violence as my initial reactions from people she met on the surface. I think I was more a hindrance than an asset to the party at first because of this. I can't count the number of times we were driven out of town, not even allowed to enter towns, or were just outright attacked because of having a Drow elf in the party.
A Drow elf is one to be feared and hated on sight, if only because of the things that the race as a whole has done in the past. This shouldn't be the case ALL of the time, because there are those individuals that judge not by looks, but by actions. But still, a feeling of mistrust, at least at first, should always be present when dealing with an unknown Drow. If the Drow in question has a reputation for good that has preceeded them, then maybe these instinctive feelings should be less, but not completely dismissed. Some of Drizzt's encounters are perfect exammples of this. Even HE gets the cold shoulder and threatened in places he's not known, and he's at least been heard of, even in some of the remotest places of Faerun.
I'd really like to hear the experiences of those who either have played Drow PC's or GM's that have run them, or Drow in general.

Drow should not be used as NPCs unless the player can give a very good reason as to why the players char is a drow, why the char is ever upon the surface, and general info. Is he a run away? or soemthing far worse? Catch my drift? Its a common thing to want to play one of the bad boy drow.... But not everyone can pull it off. Seriously.... A drow in the party brings about nothing but trouble. They are seen as nothing more then evil beings upon the surface worlds. Thats the gerneral view of drow. And just keep in mind ... females are always worse.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  16:08:21  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cult_Leader:

I think you meant to say "PCs", not "NPCs", so here we go.

I agree that a player needs a good reason to play a Drow other than their bonuses.

I'm veering off-topic now. Look in the Hall of Heroes census statistics. Fully half the characters are Elves or Half-elves. I'm sure many play Elves because they really want to RP an Elf (I know some on this site who fall into that category), but I know for certain that most people play Elves for the bonuses. In 1e days, if a class was restricted to human of Half-elf, those types of players chose Half-elf and the only reason they didn't choose Elf was because they couldn't.

As for Drow women "always being worse", nothing is always true.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  19:02:45  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, a drow should face the same problems as drizzt. It's the perfect example.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  22:16:12  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yasraena:
quote:
Bran:
DROW IN A MERP GAME!?!?!?! Man, is THAT stretching it.
Actually, I'm curious as to your GM's reasoning behind that. Considering there weren't any Drow in the mythos, how'd they get there? Did he just take the Moriquendi and make them Drow?

He just likes the idea of a race of evil Elves, mostly as a break from Orcs having to fill the roles of both Klingons and Romulans. The game is in the 4th age, so it doesn't "interfere" with known Canon. And it's fun, too. It caught us off guard for a while. We (the players) were sitting around saying "What the heck?" to each other for a while. He didn't declare that Moriquendi are Drow, he just inserted (A)D&D Drow into ME.

quote:
As I've seen in the replies so far, I think most everyone agrees that playing a Drow in general should not be easy, and actually down right hard at times. One of the reasons I posted this topic was because of some of what I read on the ALFA board. There were actually some there that were complaining about how tough it is for Drow on the surface, how there's not any safe places for them, how they're always being persecuted, etc, etc. That attitude just cracks me up. Did they expect it to be easy? I think these people have either no clue as to what Drow REALLY are, or just like to complain. I've seen so many games with Drow PC's in them that make it soooooo easy for them, it really saddens me. It's like they're taking away the sense of the unknown and mystery of the race, and making them into just another elven ofshoot.

That's what we had in the ME game for a while (the mystery). We're all AD&Ders from way back, so we caught on eventually, but the GM did a good job of obfuscation for a good long time.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 02 May 2003 22:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  22:25:26  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

IMO, a drow should face the same problems as drizzt. It's the perfect example.

I must say, that my RP group started to Role pLay good renegade DROW when UNearthed Arcana first was published. When Crystal Shard was published, you cannot beleive how thrilled we were that RA SALVATORE GOT IT RIGHT!!!!!

We loved the drow when they first became available as PC's but only one member of the group ever played a GOOD one. (LAdy Brasil) The rest were more chaotic neutral. In this case, I like to say my group does not FOLLOW RA SALVATORE'S Idea, but more his idea is in line with ours.

What annoys me is that after CRYSTAL SHARD came out, Drow became DRIZZT clones and Matron Malice wannabees. It was very disheartening.

AND BOOKWYRM!!!

THANKS FOR VERBALISING something I have been thinking, but never really was able to put into words for some reason. That is EXACTLY the argumanet I want to use against NUMEROUS drow renegades.

Good thought Bookwyrm!!! They would not beable to hide their good for long and most likely get corrupted. I picture GOOD drow in DROW SOCIETY (NOt counting Eilestrae) about as common as HUMAN serial killers in our society.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  06:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. You're welcome, Mournblade. But you do the same thing for me a lot of the time.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  17:20:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
In general, life for Drow Elves anywhere, even in Drow cities, is a difficult one. On the surface they usually find themselves hunted by various bands of torch bearing villagers. They tend to attract lots of people out to kill them, even if they manage to establish a reputation of trustworthiness and honor.

Playing an evil Drow on the surface is much easier than a good Drow on the surface. Evil Drow don't have to change their ways much ont eh surface, and those bands of Lvl. 1 torch bearing commoners aren't so much a problem.

Generally speaking, as PCs it can be a nightmare int he begining, since the random bands of mercenaries tend to pop up to try and kill them at the worst times. Every after the get higher level and establish a reputation of one kind or another, they are still plagued by mercenaries, villages, guards, ect., and it can be rather annoying. As NPCs, well it really depends, largely on the outlook of my party at the time. they can be tolerent, intolerent, fearful, hateful, really any kind of reaction that fits the current party's ethos.

For the most part, they aren't really tolerated rather universally, and even when they are excepted someplace, there are always people coming out the woodwork to try and kill them anyways.
Well said. I agree entirely. Unfortunately all Dark Elves whether LG or CE carry the stigma of being Drow. So naturally they would all be perceived as the natural embodiment of chaos itself.

Every race carries the tendency to fear that which is universally different from their own race. And like Edain said, even when Drow are accepted by the general community at large, there will always be the small minority who feel threatened by a Drow's presence in their town or village.

As for running games that have Drow characters, well, I like to establish the fact for the players, that when Drow are involved in a campaign they will have automatic hindrances placed upon them by society at large. As Yasraena said -
quote:
This would seem to indicate that there are already racial barracades in place for any type of Drow character. So even before a player begins his career as a Drow based PC, I make sure they are aware of these facts. It is then up to the player to determine how he/she will react to the world's acceptence of Drow.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  19:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

Cult_Leader:

I think you meant to say "PCs", not "NPCs", so here we go.

I agree that a player needs a good reason to play a Drow other than their bonuses.

I'm veering off-topic now. Look in the Hall of Heroes census statistics. Fully half the characters are Elves or Half-elves. I'm sure many play Elves because they really want to RP an Elf (I know some on this site who fall into that category), but I know for certain that most people play Elves for the bonuses. In 1e days, if a class was restricted to human of Half-elf, those types of players chose Half-elf and the only reason they didn't choose Elf was because they couldn't.

As for Drow women "always being worse", nothing is always true.nis al true. However just look at the way that most drow females are. Sure they might be nice... some of them that is. But what degree of nice are they? Most of them might be nicer then a few others but to every other race they are still cruel. You can take the sister of drizzt, the one that was still alive as an example. Sure she wanted to be nice but all in all she eneded up just turning into her mother. Go figure. Lolth has a nice firm hold on drow females. Comes with all the power that she gives them ... and the fact that if they fail her they are punished. Look at the Legends and Lores book in oh what was it? 1st or second ed? And by the by.... I would rather play a human then an elf... I normally do. Most of the plays and people I play d7d with would rather play something like an human .. half orc. gnome... dwarf ... or even an orc... We do this because elves are over played, and the fact that they were made to be more like an upper class race.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  19:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cult Leader, what the heck were you trying to convey by just quoting a message and not saying anything?

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  20:03:48  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cult_Leader put his or her reply to my post in between the "quote" tags. Cult_Leader's text starts with "nis al true."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  20:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. Well, every post he's made starts with a whole-post quote -- meaning that even if he's only responding to one part, he'll quote the whole thing. I just skipped to the end without reading what was between the quote lines.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  20:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Oh. Well, every post he's made starts with a whole-post quote -- meaning that even if he's only responding to one part, he'll quote the whole thing. I just skipped to the end without reading what was between the quote lines.

Yes that was a mistake upon my part. Nothing new. What it ment to say was this:

Yes its true that most things are not always true. However. Most drow females are always worse then the males. WHy is this? Take a look at it this way. If a male fails .. they are turned into drider... if a female fails they loose the favor of lolth. Most females are the ones in power ... end of story on the power part we already know what becoems of that. I did mean PC's, NPCS you cant argue with because the DM is god of his chron world. Anywho. A nice example of a mean evil female ... who started off not so bad... Was Drizzt's full blood sister. Look at her, she was so sweet and nice and then she became what .... evil ... mean ... a something I will not say on this message board.. JUST like her mother. Yes... Females drows really are not the worst of the drow huh.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  21:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Since both Yasraena and Branmakmuffin want to know what a krenshar is, and the former also doesn't know about genasai, I'll take a moment to explain both.

The first I also didn't know about when Sadon mentioned it to me, but I quickly found it in a PDF Artalis was kind enough to give me.

From the Monster Manual:

Krenshar

Medium-Size Magical Beast

Combat

Krenshars use solitary scouts to drive prey into the waiting clutches of the pack. The scout appears from hiding, uses its scareability, then chases the fleeing target to join the attack.

Scare (Ex or Su): As a standard action, a krenshar can pull the skin back from its head, revealing the musculature and bony structures of its skull. This alone is usually sufficient to scare away foes (treat as a Bluff check with a +3 bonus). Combining this scare ability with a loud screech produces an unsettling effect that works like scare cast by a 3rd-level sorcerer (save DC 12). If the save is successful, that opponent cannot be affected gain by that krenshar’s scare ability for one day. The shriek does not affect other krenshars.

[quote]From the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting:

Genasai are descended from elemental-related creatures, such as efreet, dao, djinn, jann, and marids, among others. Most of them have had no direct contact with their elemental forebears, but the signs of their heritage are apparant. Genasai take great pride in their distinctive features and abilities.

Thanks for the info BW. I assume that this info is from the 3E books you referenced?
Is that PDF on the Krenshar available somewhere? If not, I'd appreciate if you'd email it to me if it's not too large a file - Yasraena T'Sarran - thanks oh mighty wyrm!

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  23:31:40  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cult_Leader, not all Drow enclaves are led by women. There's one community that's led by wizards (i.e. men). They're worshippers of Vaehrun(sp?), I believe.

So most Drow societies are matriacal. Big deal. Thay is ruled by men. Does that necessarily mean all Thayans, especially men, are more evil than other men? Some are, of course. But some men from other palces are more evil than the run-of-the-mill Red Wizard. The heroine of Elaine Cunningham's books is a "good" Drow woman, as are priestesses of Ellistrae. Don't blame an individual for the sins of his or her society.

Just as we (hopefully) avoid bigoted sterotyping in RL, the same holds true for RPing, unless you are role-playing a bigot, which is fine if that's what you want to do. If you're not RPing a bigot or a race that traditionally holds extreme hatred for Drow, such as a Duergar, I would think it bad role-playing to not at least give a lone Drow the benefit of the doubt, even if that benefit is "Drop your weapons you white-haired bastard or we'll fill you so full of arrows your new name will be 'quiver'!"

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 03 May 2003 23:32:21
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2003 :  04:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Branmakmuffin:
quote:

I would think it bad role-playing to not at least give a lone Drow the benefit of the doubt, even if that benefit is "Drop your weapons you white-haired bastard or we'll fill you so full of arrows your new name will be 'quiver'!"

Hahahaha! Just don't call me quiver!

But it's so hard to keep from thinking that way, Bran, especially with Drow (or Thayans for that matter). Stereotypes are mainly the result of people exagerating and/or expanding the actions of the targeted group. With the example you gave (Thayans and Drow) their actions are not exagerated, at least for the most part. They are truly evil and heinous acts, ergo the general perception that the entire race/nationality is evil, because they normally don't do 'good' things. When they do happen to do a good act, it's either by happenstance or not by design, but either way, it's not the norm.

I think that with the growing knowledge of Eilistraee by the surface races, and the growing number of Drow that follow her (Yasraena being one of them), the tales of what Drow do might start to include some good and righteous things, and hopefully, the general perception of them will change accordingly.

But, as it was said previously in this topic - realistically, just how many good drow are there in the Realms? They are still very few and far between, although their number are growing every day. That number has to increase dramatically for the tales of evil to turn to tales of good, and until that happens, the perception will stay as it is.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Edited by - Yasraena on 04 May 2003 04:46:10
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2003 :  17:33:31  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If my party encountered a lone Drow, I certainly wouldn't recommend being incautious. S/he could be "bait" for an ambush or something. But "Kill it, kill it, it's a Drow"! just rubs me the wrong way, as a player and as the types of characters I usually play.

I once was GMing for a particularly uninspired (and unispiring) group of folks. I ran them through an adventure I had run for my regular gaming circle. The adventure featured Orcs to a large degree. My regular group stopped, thought, figured out what the deal was and came away with nice rewards, monetary and social. The other group? "It's Orrrrrrrrrcs! Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiill!" They got loot off the Orcs' bodies, but that was nothing by comparison. It could just as easily have been Drow instead of Orcs and the result would have been the same (except Drow wouldn't have been as easy to kill).

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 04 May 2003 17:35:02
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2003 :  19:01:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The group that I normally play in, in both my town and the next one over, we normally kill them all and then look around ... its not hard to find clues about things nore spare treasure if you actually take the time to look around after you kill ... you shouldnt just go on killing and killing and never looking .. thats a bad plan. Now and then we like to take someone and force them to tell our party things to .. heh .. thats always a fun thing to do. Anyway. I see why it was so dull. I bet they never looked around for clues as to what was going on etc.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2003 :  22:19:38  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cult_Leader:
quote:
The group that I normally play in, in both my town and the next one over, we normally kill them all and then look around ... its not hard to find clues about things nore spare treasure if you actually take the time to look around after you kill

If the clues were in the minds of the people you just killed, you obviously won't get them, unless you're in the habit of speaking to your dead enemies after every battle.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  03:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "shoot first and ask questions later", huh?

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Edited by - Yasraena on 05 May 2003 03:17:00
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  04:34:14  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yasraena:
quote:
Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "shoot first and ask questions later", huh?

Damn, that was funny. It took me a second to get it. I hardly ever laugh out loud, especially when I'm alone, but that did it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  05:29:44  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speak with dead

Generally I frown on characters slaughtering my clue giving NPC's.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  05:47:22  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I frown on it, too. But if a group of players is thick and bloodthirsty enough to slaughter everything that they couldn't mistake for their second cousin even if they have to squint and pretend, it's their loss, not mine.

Especially since I wouln't be GMing for them long. And I'm a pretty good GM.

Ah, a good GM spell: Speak with Brain Dead

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 05 May 2003 05:48:35
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  06:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always play as a drow (Malice) but he knows how his kind are hated, and he wears white makeup (dont laugh, its true) to disguise himself, since he was banished from his land. He had to find a way.

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000