Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  15:05:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That description is very vague. Perhaps some stats, and the specific magics that it can dispel would be more relevant. I understand that this stone would cancel the effects of the staff you detailed, but perhaps more information on this item would provide more uses for it.

What I mean is, just saying 'dispel any magicks in the area once a day' is very generalised. Does it work as per the dispel magic spell, or do you have something else in mind?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I'll have to build on that one. Maybe it only cancels spells of a really high level, or even those under the effect of a "permanancy" spell. It could also only target items and not people. Anyway, I'll search up some stats later, I'll post them sometime.

I'll be back after work.

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  15:33:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a much better idea. I look forward to seeing the reworked result. If you need any help, just let me know .

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2003 15:34:13
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  18:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Thanks for asking Malanthius.

Most, if not all of the material that I display here at the shop has in some form or another been used in my home campaign. Some items were earlier creations in 2e format, which I had converted to 3e stats before posting them here. There are others where I have said which campaign I had used them in, and finally the are a few items that are just creations from a spur-of-the-moment inspiration from something I have seen or read about.

As for these items working, well in most cases that depends upon the player who is using the item, and the extent of my involvement (as DM) to carry out the necessary effects. A few items have had little impact on the campaign, while other more powerful and near epic items are sometimes over used - there is simply no happy middle ground in my campaigns unfortunately....

If you want any more information, I will email some of my players reactions and thoughts about some of the items I have introduced.

Thanks Sage. Just get to it when you get to it. was really curious how they would have reacted to "Keller's Folly"

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  21:56:08  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another of my Favourite Cursed Items.

Helmet of Mirrored Conception

This helmet appears to be a standard designed helmet, except for the small ruby set deep into the forehead of the piece. It shows no magical powers until securely fastened, at which point it becomes sealed and can only be removed by a "Dispel Magic" from a priest of level 10 or over. When the wearer of such a helmet interacts with another, the wearer sees the other person to be about five feet away from their true location. The player usually doesn't realise that there is any problem until Ranged Combat begins. The player will fire the ranged weapon, but the quarrel will pass through the illusion. The wearer cannot see the true enemy, and can only hit if they intentionally aim for the space to the side (why would they, they have no idea what's happening )

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  22:02:01  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage of Perth, here's the full stats I made for the Stone of Dispelling

Stone of Arcane Disjunction

This large emerald is highly sought after by both Wizard and Priest for its extensive uses in dispelling magic. Once per day, the owner of such a stone can grip it tight to their chest and then focus intently upon the item they wish to have dispelled. The stone can dispel such magics as those created in conjunction with a Permanancy spell, or enchantment or enhancement spells cast by a Wizard or Priest over level 8. The stone also has lesser uses, if boiled in a container with a type of Poison or Potion, the stone will dispel any hazardous or magical properties of the liquid, rendering it simply water.

There, how's that sound?

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  22:13:06  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another Cursed Item, one of my earlier items

Boots of Movement Alteration

These appear to be simple leather-bound boots, and do not show any signs of containing any magical properties of any kind. They only come into effect when the wearer needs to perform a specific movement type under certain circumstances. If the wearer of such footwear needs to silently sneak up to a target, then his footsteps will suddenly sound similar to those of someone heavy wearing steel boots. If the wearer needs to run somewhere, then the boots become sticky on the sole and prevent movement any faster than MV2. They can only be removed with a "Remove Curse" or "Wish" Spell cast after three days of wearing, until the three days have passed the wearer has no choice but to keep them on.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  22:37:55  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess what, another cursed item? Yep, this is an old one. Brings back malevolent memories. **

Longbow of Arching

This simple looking Longbow radiates enchantment magic is detected. At first appearance, there is no visible sign of it having any magical properties or enhancements of any kind, however it only becomes active once the user intends to strike with killing intentions. Upon drawing back the bowstring with an arrow, red runes glow along the shaft of the bow, and the arrow glows a dull green. Once fired, the arrow arches away from the enemy and strikes the floor some ten feet away. The arrows will miss by a greater distance every shot. After the third missed shot, the arrows will begin to arc right around and aim for the firer or anyone nearby. They do normal damage and always hit. The bow can be dropped only after a successful "Remove Curse" spell from a Priest of 5th level or higher.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  22:41:57  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There, happy with those Sage of Perth? I'm keeping your Cursed Item section well stocked. Shame no one will ever need them. Still, It's always nice to have a way to punish PCs, isnt it. I'll present some more tomorrow, I'm way too sleepy to write anything else. *yawn*

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  02:45:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are all very good NightElf, and I am thinking about using some of them, well the first staff for starters. Although I will have to make a few changes to integrate them into my campaign. The Stone of Arcane Disjunction seems more appropriate also. Keep the items coming .

One last thing, these are 2e items...yes?.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  10:58:45  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of my stuff is for the Second Edition DnD. I try to keep the desriptions quite flexible so that those 3ED fans can use them for their own ends. I don't much like 3ED myself though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:01:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is that?.

If you are staying in 2e, I could post some of my old 2e magical item designs. Would you be interested?. Afterall I like to cater for all gamers from all editions .

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:20:42  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright then, To follow I have the

Amulet of Spell Reversal

A nightmare for Priests especially, this seemingly normal silver amulet radiates no indication of it being magical. Upon clasping it around the neck, this amulet fastens tight around the victim and from this point onwards until the amulet is removed, the curse comes into effect. When the priest uses a spell which features a Reversable section (cure light wounds/cause light wounds), the spell cast will become the reverse of the intended spell, so a Cure will become a Cause. Any spell without a reversable section will act as per normal. This amulet can only be removed with a "Remove Curse" spell by another cleric, as the victim Cleric will cast "Curse" instead. This spell can be countered if the Priest casts the Reverse of the spell he wants. To this extent, casting Cause light Wounds instead of Cure would work as Cure.

Hmmm. Another early one. Before the cleric realised the effect of the amulet, they were asked to visit the house of a dying person. The cleric tried a "Raise Dead" spell on the man, and, well. Take a guess. They still aren't allowed in the town.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:33:58  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you are staying in 2e, I could post some of my old 2e magical item designs. Would you be interested?. Afterall I like to cater for all gamers from all editions .

Of course, I'll always use 2ED if possible. I don't like 3ED because the classes are now too much alike. Especially the whole Armoured Mage idea, terrible. I like traditional style Robed Mage and Steel Clad Fighter.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Admit it! You raided my laboratory! I was going to do that . . . .

::sigh:: Where's my ring of anti-laziness . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

NightElf suggested the idea for this in another scroll. It was in response to my idea about having a pre-described time for a specific activation on a spell -

Delayed Shatter
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Brd 5, Chaos 5, Clr 5, Destruction 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (30 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area or Target: One solid object
Duration: Up to 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Delayed Shatter creates a loud, ringing noise that breaks brittle, non magical objects up to 5 rounds after being cast upon the object.

This spell can only be cast on objects and is not an area effect spell.

Arcane Material Component: A 20cm in area piece of mica

This is only a rough working, and I am expecting suggestions for improvement since I believe there are some things that can be changed with this. However I would still like to hear your thoughts on this.

First of all, I think that the Chaos and Destruction domains both have level-five slots taken.

Second, how is this better than a normal [/i]shatter[/i] modified by Delay Spell?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:46:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good to hear NightElf. I have some really particular items for the entire spectrum of classes, and a few kits as well, all based in 2e. I will try and start posting them sometime this week.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jul 2003 11:47:49
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:48:59  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time, I made a nasty evil item called:

Gauntlets of Compulsive Thieving

Some would look at this item as a gift, although to others it is often seen to be a curse. This pair of purple velvet gloves show no evidence of any magical properties, however once worn by a character, they change colour and turn black. From this point on, until removed by a "Remove Curse" or "Dispel Magic" spell, every time the character comes into close contact with another character (NPS or PC) the Player must Save vs. Magic or find themselves attempting to pick pocket the other character. Not such a problem for a Thief, but when donned by a Mage or Fighter, the roll to Pick Pocket usually fails and the wearer is found. No matter how much the character resists, should the Saving Throw fail they attempt to steal from the other character.

They went and got themselves into loads of trouble over this one. Jail twice and an Execution order. That Female Noble's Emerald necklace did look inviting didn't it?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:52:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well to answer you questions, firstly, for my campaigns limits on divine spell slots do not exist, unless the campaign absolutely requires them. But I can see what you mean, so I will rework this a little.

Now, secondly this was only a rough translation, a starting point. I will see to revising this later.

I would be happy to entertain suggestions of course .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:54:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another particularly nasty item...I like it NightElf .

Tell me, do you have items that are not cursed?.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:10:46  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Non Cursed Items. Let me see. Aha!

Tulvalance, Broad Sword +5

This highly ornate sword features an unusual Black Opal Blade and Emerald Hilt, carved in the shape of a Tree. When weilded by a character of Neutral Alignment, the Blade shimmers and dissapears from sight. The blade is still there, however it now functions as one created through the level 9 Wizard spell "Black Blade of Disaster". In it's new form, the blade uses the full stats from the spell as well as the old stats combined.

1d10 + 2d12 Slashing Damage as well as the spell's Save vs. Death at +4 or be disintergrated.

Alright, so it's a bit too powerful for the type of item. My character made it himself to use when he went on his little "I'll wipe out the entire Underdark" mission.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:19:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...the old 'save vs '. One of the more enjoyable aspect of 2e.

Nice item, although it seems a little overpowered.

Maybe only allowing half damage from either the spell, or the older stats would be more appropriate for the final damage value. This highlights one of the problems with the older 2e rules. It is very, very easy to overpower a particular weapon.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:26:48  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point, I'll change that. So it should now do only 2 - 24 damage, and I'll knock the saving throw back by a point.

2d12 Slashing Damage and Save vs Death at +5 or Disintergration?

Any better? I'll post my other sword in a few minutes when I find it in my file. I have too many items .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:30:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is much better, yes.

By the way, did your player with this weapon ever return from his "I'll wipe out the entire Underdark" mission?.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:33:25  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I've just found this in my file. See what you think:

[b]Arrow of Charming[/b]

These ordinary looking arrows feature the traditional wooden shaft and flight feathers, however the head of the arrow is carved from a Ruby. When this arrow is fired at an opponent, it deals no damage, instead having the effect of a Charm Person or Mammal spell upon the target. The spell is an instant success, although the duration is shortened to only three rounds. The spell only works if the arrow successfully hits the target and the target is within the spell limits. This means that while a Humanoid can be charmed, it cannot charm those the spell normally could not.

Quite an old one that. My character at that time was an "Assassin" who experimented with the idea of framing someone else for the murder by making them actually do it! Quite a good idea if I may say so. It worked as well, until an arrow missed and they caught him.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:42:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a good one. It is even well balanced in terms of the spell abilities and damage.

Can I ask though, do you just enter these items into your campaign, or do the players have to purchase them from a particular shop in the campaign?. If that is the case, could you please provide any market costs these items may have, and even requirements for use, since some 2e items did indeed include this prerequisite.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:00:20  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright then. Most of the Items were to be found on adventures, except for the Helmet of Mirrored Conception, the Broad Sword and the Arrows. They sold for about:

Helmet of Mirrored Conception, bought from a fellow adventurer for about 3000gp. They were told it was a Helmet of Infravision.

Broad Sword was made by the character, Materials were already on hand, enchantments cost about 10000gp

Arrows of Charming retailed for about 400gp a piece, quite expensive but they came from one of the Thieves Guilds just outside of Neverwinter.

Is that alright? I can produce a full list of the other items, but I'll have to hunt for the DM files. *ugh* More files.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:02:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I just like to see the cost and other statistics, so that other visitors to my Shop can use these items as is, and add them directly into their campaigns, without too much fuss and bother .

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:15:44  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was trying to make my entries as flexible as possible so that others could adjust them, but I'll include my version of the prices in the list, now about before

quote:
By the way, did your player with this weapon ever return from his "I'll wipe out the entire Underdark" mission?.

Actually yes, he did quite well. He was doing battle with a group of Drow Merchants, and defeated all of them but one, a young drow female. He couldn't kill her, so he took her with him. She travelled with him for quite a while. By the way, he himself was also a Drow.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:40:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So why was he fighting his own people?.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000