Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  09:05:27  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Armour Arcana

Caster Level: 15th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Expeditious Retreat, Cat’s Grace, Haste, Protection from Spells
Market Price: 64000 GP
Cost to Create: 32,000 g.p. + 2560XP
Special:
This armour is prized by arcane spellcasters, who are proficient in the use of Heavy Armour. Currently only one suit of this armour is known to exist. Sir Richard Trueblade, a Royal Knight of Cormyr and Alusair’s court is the current owner, and it was made specially for him by Vangerdahast for services that he and his brother-at-arms Duke Sir Lowie Silversword performed for the Crown. Sir Richard Trueblade (NG Ftr 8/Sor 12) is neither a War Wizard or a Purple Dragon Knight like his friend Lowie, but Sir Richard is a distinguished and respected ROYAL knight of the Court.

This Half Plate armour is decorative and appears to be worked by the finest of Cormyrean smiths. There is a gentle glow to the mail; powerful magic radiates from the armour, as if the mail was enchanted with the dawn. The extreme cost of this magical armour prevents it from being distributed amongst the War Wizards of Cormyr.

The armour grants an enhancement bonus of +3 to the wearer, and a spell ressistance of 15. The most prized benefit of this armour, is that there is no penalty for casting arcane spells while wearing this armour. (Arcane Spell Failure 0%, SR: 15, AC:10 (7armour +3 Enhancement).

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 16 Jul 2003 09:06:30
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  09:14:36  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With an almighty flash....well not almightly....more like a pitiful plop MuadDib, pops into existence in the small shop startling some creatures, one of whom is his small pseudo-dragon which immediately latches onto his face and starts frantically frothing at the mouth in anger and wetting MuadDib's robe in its fear. After a slight scuffle, a couple of bites (not all of which were the dragon's) a coughed mini-fireball and a sedative, MuadDib manages to exact some control over his familiar. "Teleport without error my left...." Looking more than a little embarressed and with a few patches of hair missing, MuadDib approaches the learned Sage behind the counter, hoping he wont be disintegrated on site for his familiar's anticts. "I hear tell of thy magnificent shop and was wondering..."MuadDib notices the Sage's sceptical looks at his now partially bald head and the tattoo under it. MuadDib stammers "ummm....I assure ye M'Lord, tis not the markings of a Red Wizard, simply an unfortunate incident involving the timing of my permanency spell and a particularly disgruntled octopus" MuadDib presently launches into a very indepth discussion regarding the dangers of trying to meld a live octopus with a wand, speaking as if to himself, before the Sage's impatient look cuts him short. "Well....I digress, I have come to ye, to find out perhaps if ye would like to sell this magical item in thy shop. I assure ye it is quite powerful" MuadDib removes a small plain looking Onyx ring which is adorned with only one Opal, although looking into the ring reveals only deepest shadow.

"The story of this ring's origins are detailed in a collection of scrolls known as "Realms of Infamy". This ring allegedly belonged to one of the ruling council of the Zhentarim..." MuadDib proceeds to launch into a mumbled fit of swearing often calling Manshoon's parentage into question before he composes himself and continues" which had the power to call forth a Dragon. Directly superceding the disolving of the council, its chambers and the Dragon at the hands of a number of beholders (one of whom was secretly Elminster)", MuadDib whispers to the Sage, "this ring and its spiritual dragon were transported to a place now believed to be the Shadow realm. It is believed by more leanred scholars than myself that the remnants of the Netherese tampered with it, and that despite their most concentrated efforts to pervert its power to evil, Elmi...well 'someone's' mark on it was too powerful and they abandoned the ring and the untamable dragon back to the normal plane, inadvertantly saving the dragon from final destruction. I happened upon this ring in my, what i loosely call 'youth' and only recently have i discovered it's true potential. At considerable cost too i might add!

So do we have a deal M'Lord? Agree and i will share with you its power!"

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  09:33:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage stares suspiciously at the onyx ring for a few more moments before again returning his gaze to the strange traveller who calls himself MuadDib.

"We do indeed have a deal, my curious friend. I seem to recall the details surrounding this particular ring from a series of studies I conducted on the Realms of Infamy scroll you previously mentioned", the Sage wanders off behind the shelving system directly behind the Magic Shop's front counter. MuadDib waits quietly, glancing occassionally at the myriad collection of customers who regularly frequent the store. The Sage quickly returns in a flurry of motion from behind the shelving unit carrying a specially crafted bag of holding.

"Place your ring in this bag, and I will see to finding a suitable area for display". The Sage smiles, proud of his latest acquisition.
::

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  09:36:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade, I see that at last, your armor is completed. I can now see that the wait was definitely worth it. This is a fine magical item indeed. I know several of my players are going to be extra happy when they visit the Magic Shop this Saturday to 'suit up' for their latest adventures in my campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  10:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malanthius steps out of the shadows once more (somehow leaving those around to wonder wether or not he actually left the shop)tilting his head in seeming deep thought.
"I'm glad you liked the blade, Kind Sage. Most of the other individuals i tried to extend it to ran away screaming for some reason." he pauses thoughtfully " The other trinkets i believe are a little bit farther away at the moment. On the other hand i do have a couple of scrolls here in my library quarters that might be entertaining for your customers. They did after all make their creator a laughing stock." As he speaks his eyes momentarily unfocus as if he is recalling events of long ago.
"It was a fascinating incident, he was tossed out of a rather respectable mage school for being as he put it : too 'environmentally friendly'. Would you be interested?"

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  10:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WooHoo! I'm a novice!
One other question, what's the level of the party in question for the campaign and were you looking for some specific items for them?

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  10:49:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The characters (and their levels) in my current 'Evermeet' campaign are as follows -

* Korloth Halar (LG male human Pal 15/Order of the Silver Shield 6)

* Shaad Darkthorne (CG female elf Ran 14/Peerless Archer 6)

* Dunthar the Blooded (N male dwarf Bar 10/Ftr 9)

* Nimaril Del'a'vante (LG female half-elf Kni 12/Order of the Silver Shield 8)

* Ghelis Rorall (LE male tiefling Han 12/Shadow Asassin 7)

* Enarbrim Eldaar (CN male arcanaloth Wiz 18/Archmage 2/Spirit of the Void 1)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  10:56:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since most of these PC's are all 20+ levels it is a safe assumption to say that they all have considerable magical items at their disposal. Dunthar and Korloth are really the only ones looking for particular items to replace those that were lost when they were captured several days (3 sessions) ago. Korloth is missing his masterwork Greatsword (with various other titles, which I won't go into here), as well as his prized Silver Shield. Although there is a reason for that loss.

Dunthar is still recovering from the grevious injuries he sustained at the hands of his Drow captors, and has lost everything. He won't be adventuring Saturday. So basically I am looking for some armor suits, a few weapons that would make a dwarven barbarian happy, and a special epic-level greatsword.

And finally Ghelis needs to replace his aging magical staff-sling.

If you need any more details just let me know.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  10:59:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and as for those other magical scrolls that you were talking about, yes...I am very interested in them. So when can I expect delivery?.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  12:22:21  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Abilities of the aforementioned: Onyx Dragon Ring

Equipped Abilities: Permanent blur, Immunity to Level Drain

special Abilities: Summon Shadow Dragon once every three days, duration: 24 hours or until dragon is destroyed. Player and dragon are linked by telepathic link and as such, Dragon can still be controlled if summoner is imobile, silenced, otherwise engaged although not if feebleminded. Dragon is ultimately loyal to wielder of ring and as such is immune to charm effects.
Shadow dragon abilities: 190 HP -5 AC 4 THAC0 3 Attacks
Dragon has no magic, but all natural resistences apply

Edited by - MuadDib on 16 Jul 2003 12:22:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  14:49:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Also I notice these are 2e stats.

Since that is the case, I will craft a conversion to 3e stats. However I will need to know the type of damage and the amount of damage that each of the 3 attacks deals.

It might also be interesting to tinker with the possibility of making this Dragon derived from the Plane of Shadow in 3e terms.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  18:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

So basically I am looking for some armor suits, a few weapons that would make a dwarven barbarian happy, and a special epic-level greatsword.

And finally Ghelis needs to replace his aging magical staff-sling.

If you need any more details just let me know.

Hmm. Perhaps I should take a look at the ELH. What exactly are you looking for? And how magical was the staff sling? (I have some ideas on that last one . . . . )

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  02:09:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Staff-Sling had a true strike ability as well as a modified rapid true shot feat enchantment (don't worry about that last one, it is something of my own creation). It also was classed as a +1 staff of striking. I am not sure though whether you will have the appropriate material to look that particular staff description up.

Basically anything that would equip an epic-level fighter and barbarian PC (remembering the types of equipment they had lost) should be enough. I would rather leave the creative enchantments and such to the people who wish to create something for this.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  03:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I'll try to make at least a new staff-sling in the morning. I was hoping that it would work as a sort of quarterstaff as well (as I assume the staff of striking to be similar to the 2e staff of smiting?).

I have a few ideas on special abilities for other things as well. I'll try to work them out.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  03:16:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e staff of smiting is a possibility.

Also if you want to work the staff-sling as a quarterstaff, I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

BTW, there is no hurry on this. I may have to cancel my Saturday game anyway since I will probably have to work.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  03:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll take that into consideration.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  06:15:11  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry sage it took me a long time to complete becasue I forgot the logistics of caster level and market price determination:(

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  08:58:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's okay. Do you have any more interesting items on the way?.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  09:28:12  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 Attacks - each attack deals 3D6 base piercing damage, + a 15% chance per hit of doing 2D6 crushing damage.

Shadow Dragon can be hasted, but only for half duration of spell.

Edited by - MuadDib on 17 Jul 2003 09:31:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  10:19:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that MuadDib. I'll start working on a 3e conversion, although I might wait for actual confirmation on the changes to the haste spell before continuing.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  11:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A ghostly image slowly coaleses near the sages Desk. It stands there in siltent patience until the caretaker of the shop looks up from his copy of the Draconomicon and says grumpily " Yes ?"
Terribly sorry sage, I'm sending this image to inform you there'll be a slight delay in that delivery we talked about. I seem to have become involved with a dispute concerning ownership of a 1 foor square of Sigil.
Anyway I should have those scrolls relatively soon, and i do remember a piece of armor crafted by an alchemist friend that might be useful for that little party of adventurers you were trying to aid.
Oh yes, the scrolls come from some of the collected works of "Ralphos Nadeer". Until later then...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  12:09:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage reflects for a moment upon the words uttered by Malanthius. "I understand completely. I once found myself involved in a Sigilian land ownership dispute with a particularly nasty cornugon named Brel'ali Maxar. The argument would have quickly degenerated into a spell-battle if it were not for a pair of Dabus who immediately arrived on the scene and then transported both of us to alternate parts of the torus".::

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  22:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, do you think you could give me the stats for the old staff-sling? I want to make sure this is Epic enough to be better than the old one. You don't need the whole formal layout, just the powers. (More specific than what you said earlier.)

I think I may actually have two staff-slings, one Epic, the other normal.

By the way, what're the stats for an ordinary staff-sling? I can't find any.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  02:44:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The stats for a regular staff-sling are as follows -

damage: 1d4 when used as a sling - 1d6 when used as a staff
type: bludgeoning
weight: 4lbs.
cost: 5 gp

The staff-sling is an infamous kender (from DL) weapon that is often also known as a "hoopak". One end of the staff-sling is forked and is often used to sling rocks at enemies. The staff-sling's other end is capped with iron or steel.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  02:53:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason you didn't find the stats anywhere is because you probably don't have access to the Dragonlance Adventures tome.

Anyway, on top of these regular stats, the staff has the following powers -

* +1 staff of striking although this is very similar to to the 2e staff of smiting, and can be used just as well

* enchanted with the true strike spell

* grants the user for free the "rapid true shot" feat

* the staff allows the bearer to function as though under the effects of Whirlwind Attack feat

* once every five days, the steel-capped end of the staff-sling can be used only by the bearer to produce produce effects similar to an earthquake spell, when the end is used to strike a position on the ground. A successful strength check (DC 20) must be achieved in order for the effect to be triggered.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's silly. The staff sling is one of the oldest weapons of mankind. If I'm not mistaken, it's still used in the Highlands by shepherds. (Not as a weapon; you land a rock on the side of an animal, and it moves the other way.) It shouldn't be world-specific. I knew it was a kender weapon, I just thought it would be in other places as well.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's what I needed to know. I still don't know what the feat does (it being something you made, but didn't post), but the rest shows that my staff sling is under-powered. Just like I had been afraid of.

Don't worry, I'm fixing it. I might have it done by the time of your Saturday session, whether or not it is actually held.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume the old weapon's true strike had no daily use limit, it being an Epic weapon after all?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  08:13:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's correct. That much at least did not change.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  08:17:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The staff-sling is not world-specific. I have just noticed more useage of this weapon in Dragonlance than I have in any other setting.

The 2e Arms and Equipment Guide details a number of them, along with some entries in the Encyclopedia Magica collection.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000