Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New WotC column on FR site - "Class Chronicles"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  00:06:09  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about second parts. Because of the novel tie-in, the folks at WotC gave me a much larger wordcount. As for the tone, you're right about that. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I realized that warlocks were one of those classes that could change the Realms more significantly than others. With the inclusion of a warlock in Erik's novel and as a reference in an existing Realms sourcebook, it seemed to me that it was time to make this particular entry a bit more factual. All of it is still optional, of course. It's a lot easier to adopt a factual tone when you've got a lot of room to include detail. In the other articles, there just isn't room for sample NPCs, organization stat blocks, or new feats. That said, I have described several new organizations in upcoming entries.

It's important to keep in mind that the articles are in a queue. I'd already written several entries before the next installment was released. I have certainly heard the feedback and have taken it into account, but by the time I received it, several of the articles were already written. That said, I think the ones after the PHB2 have been significantly better as a whole, but we'll have to wait and see.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 15 Mar 2007 00:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  01:57:37  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good job Eytan! I love the article!

Asmodeus' daughter in the Realms hey? now things are getting interesting, and my GREAT COSMOLOGY UNIFYING THEORY is being proven true!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  02:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done, Eytan -- looks gorgeous.

And I look forward to seeing the rest of your warlocks work in the weeks to come.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  23:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I loved the new format for the warlock any chance you can go back and add a part 2 to the Duskblade, Knight, Beguilers and Dragon Shamans?

Id particularly like to see organisation stat blocks and example NPCs for those classes youve already done

Something interesting I noticed in the tone of your warlock article is that it was written as fact where the previous class write ups where written up as optional rules

Eytan, expanding the question of Dargoth, any chance you can go back and add a part 2 to the Duskblade, Knight, Beguilers and Dragon Shamans here to Candlekeep, or maybe to a new edition of the Candlekeep Compendium?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  09:49:19  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I loved the new format for the warlock any chance you can go back and add a part 2 to the Duskblade, Knight, Beguilers and Dragon Shamans?

Id particularly like to see organisation stat blocks and example NPCs for those classes youve already done

Something interesting I noticed in the tone of your warlock article is that it was written as fact where the previous class write ups where written up as optional rules

Eytan, expanding the question of Dargoth, any chance you can go back and add a part 2 to the Duskblade, Knight, Beguilers and Dragon Shamans here to Candlekeep, or maybe to a new edition of the Candlekeep Compendium?

I won't say never on this sort of thing, but right now my mind is a bit tapped from the numerous additional articles. The first set was a learning experience and now that I know how it went, I have been doing a few things differently with upcoming ones. In other words, it's possible, but not at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  22:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of the discourse around Faerūnian knights is the idea that they're slightly anachronistic. The golden age of knighthood, as other things, is ever in the past, and their martial simplicity is (some think) slowly being outdated by the growing complexity of the mercantile, political urban world. Forgotten Realms Adventures:
quote:
The sage Zeboaster (also known as the "sage on the run" after loudly and publicly proclaiming several poorly-thought-out opinions) has pointed out that previous multi-class groups such as the Knights of Myth Drannor indicate that the classic knight has outlived its time and stiffnecked chivalry is an anachronism of a simpler, more primitive past.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  09:00:03  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Part of the discourse around Faerūnian knights is the idea that they're slightly anachronistic. The golden age of knighthood, as other things, is ever in the past, and their martial simplicity is (some think) slowly being outdated by the growing complexity of the mercantile, political urban world. Forgotten Realms Adventures:
quote:
The sage Zeboaster (also known as the "sage on the run" after loudly and publicly proclaiming several poorly-thought-out opinions) has pointed out that previous multi-class groups such as the Knights of Myth Drannor indicate that the classic knight has outlived its time and stiffnecked chivalry is an anachronism of a simpler, more primitive past.

I think you could argue (to a greater or lesser extent) that the same is true of numerous fantasy settings, Dragonlance for example. Either way, there will always be people who buck these trends in their world and hold to the importance of chivalry, honor, and tradition.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  18:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most fantasy has a nestling effect in which it's simultaneously myth, taking place in illo tempore, in the golden age, and realist fiction happening in a historical present from which people can look 'back' into the mythical time. I think the knights thing is a manifestation of that.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  20:15:27  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Second part of the Warlock article is up http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070328

Mod edit: Fixed the link.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Mar 2007 21:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  20:32:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Second part of the Warlock article is up http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070328

...And they misspelled Erik's last name.

I really enjoyed this one. It's nicely tied into the setting, and there's plenty of material there that can be used as adventure hooks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Mar 2007 21:51:35
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  21:02:01  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I really enjoyed this one. It's nicely tied into the setting, and there's plenty of material there that can be used as adventure hooks.

Indeed they did. I didn't even notice in my excitement, but now they you pointed it out, I couldn't help but laugh. Not at the misspelling of Erik's name because that's always annoying, but the change to "Brie." I know what I'm getting Erik for his birthday. Having had my name misspelled in 3 WotC product catalogs, I am very sympathetic.

Oh and the link doesn't seem to work right now at the moment. To access it, just go to the Wizards main page or FR main page.

Mod edit: Fixed the link. The period on the end was throwing it off.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Mar 2007 21:52:07
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  22:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Bah! I'm inured to name-gaffes, generally speaking. "Debris" and "De Brine," "De Vie" and "de Vrie," all are welcome.

I hardly did much as an author on this part -- the most I did was glance through and give Eytan two enthusiastic thumbs up. He's the genius, not I, and he knows his warlocks.

quote:

Hear hear!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 Mar 2007 22:14:32
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  23:20:54  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funny part is that Erik had a lot more input on the first part, but wasn't included in the by line. This one was almost entirely me (though Erik provided a lot of helpful comments) and he gets it here. At least credit appeared somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  23:21:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow . . . just . . . wow. I read this the day I finally got Dragon 354, and one day after getting Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. I'm on Realmslore overload here. This article was excellent, and not just because it gave Realmsian context to Warlocks.

A lot of these hooks are things that aren't just good for having some Warlock background, they are full blown Realmslore hooks that I hope get followed up on in future products/novels, etc.

I've been hoping for a while that Wendonai would get some follow up material, and the idea that you have tied Wendonai to the surviving daemonfey is brilliant. I really hope to see this whole thread followed up on.

I've also been a big fan of the Shadar-kai, so its great to see some Realms tie in with them as well. Of course, I had them pegged for Shaodwcasters when it comes to the newer classes, but I can appreciate Shadar-kai warlocks as well.

Loved the "return" of the Queen of Air and Darkness and Titania to Realmslore, and the extra fleshing out of Star Elves, their history, and their current events.

Great work once again Eytan.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  23:33:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

At least credit appeared somewhere.

Yeah, but it was kinda cheesy...

(Yes, I love the bad puns! )

Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  05:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great work again Mr. Bernstein!

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  07:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
found at least one error ...

under the part about Celadrin's

Warlock/clerics can't become eldritch theurges ... thats Warlocks/any arcane user :P ... the class your looking after is Eldritch Disciple

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  09:56:06  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

found at least one error ...

under the part about Celadrin's

Warlock/clerics can't become eldritch theurges ... thats Warlocks/any arcane user :P ... the class your looking after is Eldritch Disciple

I know why that happened. While I was writing it, I had just gotten finished talking with Ari Marmell, the guy who wrote those classes. He admitted that the naming of the classes had allowed a mistake and that they should be switched.. Regardless, you're correct. It should be eldritch disciples, not theurges.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 29 Mar 2007 09:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  13:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
imho one of the classes should have a completly diffent name ... not that i have a good idea of which class it should be and what name it should be

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  05:43:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next installment is up on WOTC's site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070411
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  05:46:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I was just searching for this scroll so I could update it...

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  05:53:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bwa ha ha, I win!

I can definitely picture halfling scouts, and I like the tie into the Ahk'vhelar. Also, I think a few months back we had some scribes wondering about specific units that participated in Seiveril's Crusade, and the Kel'min'hara seem to fit this bill.

I pretty much agree with the healer information, but the "quasi official" healer's college in Heliogabus is cool to know about. I was hoping for some alternate companions for a healer (although I think the class is spot on perfect for a worshiper of Lurue), but that's for another thread.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  11:06:30  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Bwa ha ha, I win!

I can definitely picture halfling scouts, and I like the tie into the Ahk'vhelar. Also, I think a few months back we had some scribes wondering about specific units that participated in Seiveril's Crusade, and the Kel'min'hara seem to fit this bill.

I pretty much agree with the healer information, but the "quasi official" healer's college in Heliogabus is cool to know about. I was hoping for some alternate companions for a healer (although I think the class is spot on perfect for a worshiper of Lurue), but that's for another thread.

I know you were hoping for it, but by the time I saw that thread requesting the alternate companions, the article had long since been finished and edited.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  11:22:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I appreciated your input in the thread in question at any rate, so I completely understand.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  11:54:19  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the difficulties in this sort of series is that by the time I receive feedback and suggestions, I have already long since moved way ahead. The 5th installment of the series just came out, but I am already researching the 11th & 12th. That said, the general feedback and suggestions are definitely considered.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 11 Apr 2007 12:08:25
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  16:56:57  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - THAT is great news! :)

5 more articles due to come out for sure - working on two more 'right now' truly Great information!

*Waves at Eytan*

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  20:25:04  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are significantly more than 5 articles coming out. I can't say how many because I don't know how Bart will split them up.
* waves back *

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 11 Apr 2007 20:25:33
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  05:22:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the difficulties in this sort of series is that by the time I receive feedback and suggestions, I have already long since moved way ahead. The 5th installment of the series just came out, but I am already researching the 11th & 12th. That said, the general feedback and suggestions are definitely considered.

Well, I don't know if you are working on any of the "capstone" classes at this point in time, but I had a few ideas, which I will gladly admit won't be anywhere near as amazing as the work you have done, but if you do care for any kind of input on these . . .

Shadowcaster

The first thing I would love to see is an explanation that just because shadowcasters use magic based on the plane of shadows, they don't have to be Shadow Weave users. I know this would contradict the sidebar on the subject in the Tome of Magic, but I think that sidebar was kind of an oversimplified explanation of shadow magic and how it works in the Realms.

Part of why I would like to see this clarification is because the FRCS mentions various alternative forms of magic in Faerun, and mentions shadow magic, specifically stating that shadow magic is separate from Shadow Weave magic.

As far as practitioners go, I would love to see some tie in with Grodd Goblin shadowcasters, and another idea I had was to have shadowcasters among the disgruntled Krinth that are agitated against the Shadovar.

Incarnum

I have had a hard time working this into the Realms, but I had some thoughts that this might tie into the Eastern Realms of Ra-Khati and Khazari (and incidentally, this might give you a chance to rename the spiritual leader of Ra-Khati to something a bit more Realmsian than the Dhali Llama).

If Incarnum is tied to these countries, you could also have practitioners in the Hordelands and Hubadai's new nation (especially since Hubadai himself had contact with Ra-Khati). Plus, in ancient times the Imaskari might have picked up some information on this talent and brought it west with them, though I don't know where it would go from there or where it would be in modern times.

Tome of Battle

I had some thoughts on the Tome of Battle in this thread, although its more about the disciplines involved and less about the classes, per se.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7788

Truenamers

I'd kind of like to see some tie between Deneir and the Metatext in with this.

Binders

I think it would be interesting to see some Realmsian names for the vestiges (not so much new vestiges, just the Realmsian equivalents of them), plus I'd like to see some kind of mention of Karsites, although that might be a bit outside of the scope of this article.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  11:02:25  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some plans for ToM classes. Some of the things you mentioned aren't so different from my plans. Others are. You'll have to wait and see, but I do appreciate the suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  16:38:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the fact that you even take the time to look over my ideas, and your ideas thus far have been great, so if they go a different route that some of my (admittedly quickly sketched) ideas, I know yours have proven to be high quality and well thought out. I'm just looking forward to seeing them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000