Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Anauroch: The Sundering of the World
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  12:34:49  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This time by Sean K. Reynolds. The third part of the FR "grand adventure" for 2007.

quote:

FR3 Anauroch is the final part of a three-part series of 160-page hardcover super-adventures set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. It can also be easily played as a stand-alone high-level adventure. In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the land of Anauroch, home of ancient Netherese ruins and the Empire of Shade.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/978078694

Bocklin

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  16:32:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, might just be me that has missed parts 1 and 2... Who can point me int he right direction.

Thanks

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  16:48:46  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Now, might just be me that has missed parts 1 and 2...

There's confusion over the border here in the flatlands as well. The links point me to The Twilight Tomb, which as "160-page adventure"s go was a tad shorter than 160.

Anyway, I shall look forward to Anauroch.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  17:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land

Parts 1 and 2 of said super adventure there. I, personally, am looking forward greatly to these. Lots of great names involved with them, and lore on some very interesting places, albeit it not much.
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  17:01:31  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Parts 1 and 2 are going to be "Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave" and "Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land" IIRC.
I have no links handy but I'm sure someone can direct you.
But a Forum search should do....
Cormyr:... will be out next month.

Edit: Dang Uzzy I told you wearing Bracelets of Speed is no fair game

Cheers,
Behest

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.

Edited by - At your Behest on 02 Feb 2007 17:03:49
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  17:09:13  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dank je Uzzy en Behest!

I'll look forward to all three parts.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  21:18:06  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Sundering of the World"?

Sigh. I don't suppose these are going to be low-key adventures, are they?

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  21:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Good new everyone!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  22:25:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously there is a bit of hyperbole in the subtitles to the adventures. Unless they plan on doing a Saga system version of Forgotten Realms (shudder) I doubt they will be permanently "Tearing the Weave," so I doubt that the "world" will literally be "sundered." Plus, if you are going to do a three hardcover campaign arc, I would expect the stakes to be somewhat high, or else its kind of hard to justify the books.

There is definately precedence in FR adventures to be "high stakes." The Twisted Rune kidnapped Halaster in the Undermountain adventures, and you have to save Tristan Kendrick in Halls of the High King. I don't mind high stakes . . . its the "let's change the status quo" bits that make me nervous from time to time.

What I find interesting is that the text of the web page says its by Sean K Reynolds, but the cover art also credits Thomas Reid and Greg Vaughan. I'm starting to wonder about the author credits on a lot of books, because Eytan mentioned here at Candlekeep how much content he has in the Magic Item Compendium, but I've not seen his name on it . . . perplexing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  22:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Obviously there is a bit of hyperbole in the subtitles to the adventures.

No kidding. In this case it's really the subtitle that has my eyes rolling.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  22:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the kind of bombast that Ed satirizes in the chapbooks Storm and Sylune like to read, and is distasteful and bad for the Realms whether or not the contents match the titles. But I ran out of ire about this and am waiting for the books.
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  23:24:13  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize there is a certain amount of hyperbole involved in these titles. I also expect that there will be a metaphorical 'sundering', so to speak. If there is anything I've learned recently from trying to figure out what all has changed in the last few years, it's that they're not afraid to have big events that affect signifcant chunks of the realms.

I suppose what actually brought the comment on was a conversation I had with a couple of my players last weekend. I was talking about all the things that had changed in the realms and was describing what had happened to Cormyr. By the time I got to the upcoming Cormyr module with it's title about 'Tearing the Weave', one of my players was laughing and shaking his head and the other one was giving me this skeptical 'and you want to run a campaign in this world' look. With that conversation fresh in my mind, I felt compelled to comment when I saw the "Sundering of the World" part.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  02:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is definately precedence in FR adventures to be "high stakes." The Twisted Rune kidnapped Halaster in the Undermountain adventures, and you have to save Tristan Kendrick in Halls of the High King. I don't mind high stakes . . . its the "let's change the status quo" bits that make me nervous from time to time.

Bingo. And in 3rd Ed, City of the Spider Queen is high level and for high stakes, but doesn't necessarily shake too much up.
Your point about discrepencies between the text and cover - it's not the only one, as I mentioned in one of the other threads, the subtitles don't match up.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanum
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  03:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Arcanum's Homepage Send Arcanum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though WotC website provides the “Anauroch: The Sundering of the World” title, the line on the cover image is “Anauroch: The Empire of Shade”.

It’s weird.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  04:03:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Obviously there is a bit of hyperbole in the subtitles to the adventures.

No kidding. In this case it's really the subtitle that has my eyes rolling.

I know everyone can figure this out, unless they think that the point of the adventures are to be the "Apocalypse Stone" for the Forgotten Realms, which I sincerely doubt.

I guess the point that I wanted to make, upon review, is that the titles are generally made by people that aren't the ones writing the adventure. I just worry that sometimes the content of the adventure/sourcebook, what have you is judged by a REALLY bad title that some focus group somewhere swears has "impact."

I still remember that Lords of Madness was suppose to be called Codex Anethema, and Stormwrack was suppose to be called Maelstrom, but because WOTC was worried that book sellers would be too confused about the content of the sourcebook based on the titles, they "simplified" them.

For my money Codex Anethema is the coolest sounding book you could come up with for aberrations, but hey, I'm not in marketing these days.
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  07:59:36  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Obviously there is a bit of hyperbole in the subtitles to the adventures. Unless they plan on doing a Saga system version of Forgotten Realms (shudder) I doubt they will be permanently "Tearing the Weave," so I doubt that the "world" will literally be "sundered." Plus, if you are going to do a three hardcover campaign arc, I would expect the stakes to be somewhat high, or else its kind of hard to justify the books.

That is true.

I mean, the title probably refers to what happens if the characters mess up. It's probably more what they have to prevent than what is actually happening. Would be my guess.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  11:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless they plan on doing a Saga system version of Forgotten Realms (shudder)

Hey, I actually LOVED the Saga system! It was innovative and ground-breaking in many ways, introducing a completely new resolution mechanic that was based on storytelling. It also gave the players more control over the fate of their characters, and featured the simplest and BEST magic system I've ever seen! (Ahem, alright, except in Ars Magica ;)

I have also read that this very system has inspired some of the finest indie rpg designers.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  15:18:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I loved the idea of the SAGA system and the products themselves I could never get a safe enough grip on the rules to actually make use of the system.

I am still a bit weary of these adventures, especially because of the bombast of the titles. Sooner or later one of these is going to have wide scale consequences. Although it could be the fall of the whole Shade thing, which wouldn't bother me. Time will show though.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  16:26:26  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, it did not pass by me that the two adventures (Cormy and Shadowdale) are being published this year but what I have missed so far was that they were designed as a 'three-part series of hardcover super-adventures set', according to WotC.

I wonder how much they are actually linked with each other. Judging from the 'links' provided on the respective product pages - not at all!

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  19:44:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Now, it did not pass by me that the two adventures (Cormy and Shadowdale) are being published this year but what I have missed so far was that they were designed as a 'three-part series of hardcover super-adventures set', according to WotC.

I wonder how much they are actually linked with each other. Judging from the 'links' provided on the respective product pages - not at all!

I thought they said from the get-go it was a three part series

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  21:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

They did, I think Ergdusch was just saying that he hadn't realised it.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  13:14:15  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

They did, I think Ergdusch was just saying that he hadn't realised it.

Indeed, Reefy! I did not. That is, now that I have I am very intrigued to find out how exactly....

(On a side note: if the WotC product pages would provide links from one adventure of this 'series' to the others, it would make the intended connection much more obvious. But that might just be me... )

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  23:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My fellow scribes and sages... can you spell A-S-C-O-R-E? I seriously suspect that we will finally discover the secret buried within those ominous pyramids...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  23:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

My fellow scribes and sages... can you spell A-S-C-O-R-E? I seriously suspect that we will finally discover the secret buried within those ominous pyramids...

Ooh, you could be on to something there? Can anyone remember asking Ed about them and getting whacked with a NDA?

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  00:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ooh, you could be on to something there? Can anyone remember asking Ed about them and getting whacked with a NDA?

I remember him saying something like "We sure have liked to dance around this subject..." and THEN proclaiming that this subject is covered by a bright, shining NDA? (I am not 100% sure, though...)

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  15:19:10  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have they stated the level ranges for the second two yet?

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  15:59:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

Well, we've been told that it'll take a group from level 1 to 20, so one could assume that the middle one would be mid ranges of levels and the last would be higher level to get everyone to 20th.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  18:22:45  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ask because I've only seen levels 4-8, IIRC, for the first one.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

Well, we've been told that it'll take a group from level 1 to 20, so one could assume that the middle one would be mid ranges of levels and the last would be higher level to get everyone to 20th.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  17:55:22  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I remember him saying something like "We sure have liked to dance around this subject..." and THEN proclaiming that this subject is covered by a bright, shining NDA? (I am not 100% sure, though...)

Heh... yes, this is an old scroll, but it's just what I'm thinking about right now, and I wasn't active in the 'Keep when the scroll was originally posted. I was very much hoping something similar when I first heard about Anauroch. I think this mystery will remain unresolved in canon until Asmodeus and Mephistopheles need new hockey gear... H-E-*double* hockey sticks, after all...

Asgetrion: The purpose of NDAs in the Brave New Realms (TM) is to keep lore forever hidden from us, regardless of the status of their associated projects. Lore is irrelevant to the play of the game (which from their point of view is all about mechanics), hence Wizbro will not publish it.

The mystery of the thirteen pyramids of Ascore is something that very much needs to be resolved in canon. Maybe Ed can persuade Wizbro that a novel is in order, since there will be no further game products in 4E...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  18:29:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, we're getting into the area of assigning motives to WotC personnel. We need to shy away from stating anything as fact if there is no available concrete evidence.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  02:35:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
stuff
Forget the unexplained pyramids with maybe a lich in it and check out the Osirion Pathfinder Companion for some very well explained pyramids.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 31 Jul 2009 02:35:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000