Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Started reading the Last Mythal series...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Walls
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  08:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Walls's Homepage Send Walls a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just finished the first book and I must say I was fairly impressed. Definitely a tad powerheavy but otherwise really fun and epic. I love the books with big ass battles and companies and battallions and all the fun different characters that go with it. It is a book you know that leads towards bigger things, a big change in the entire FR world. Still among my favorite FR books.

Now reading the first in the Erevis Cale trilogy. Obviously I missed a lot of his backstory. No spoilers on it please!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  11:08:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to take a look through the other scrolls dedicated to discussion of the "Last Mythal" books, Walls... though I'll warn you now that some will likely be filled with spoilers for both books II and III of the trilogy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jan 2007 11:24:40
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  13:37:41  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Walls

Just finished the first book and I must say I was fairly impressed. Definitely a tad powerheavy but otherwise really fun and epic. I love the books with big ass battles and companies and battallions and all the fun different characters that go with it. It is a book you know that leads towards bigger things, a big change in the entire FR world. Still among my favorite FR books.

The entre series is waiting in my 'to-read-shelf'! Can't wait to get started.......

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  22:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, yeah, I just bought it. Got to finish every other book I'm reading at the moment first! (Once I was reading five books at once...Not recommended!)

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

eridanis
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  15:59:56  Show Profile  Visit eridanis's Homepage Send eridanis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got started on this series, and I'm really blown away. The writing is enjoyable, the plot is interesting and the characters ACT INTELLIGENTLY - a high-level elf wizard is portrayed with some of the intelligence you'd expect of a high-level elf wizard! Can't wait to get to the end of the third book.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  16:28:43  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed The Last Mythal series. It had some good points, some points that caused discussion and entertained throughout.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 30 Jan 2007 16:29:17
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  20:03:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the first book a few days ago and aside from some minor things (see below) I have to say - it was a fairly enjoyable read all through.

Now starting with the second I somehow had to 'munch' my way into it again, finding it more or less anoying that a lot of teh plot from trhe first book is reiterated again and again. But now into champter 5 or so, the story begins to have its own momentum again and I am looking forward to go to bed tonight and read a chapter or two more........

So much for that.

As it may contain a minor possible spoiler (but not really) I will add my critics here:
Wasn't there something with elves and resurrection? I seem to remember, but only very vague, some rule from 1st or was it 2nd Ed. that elves couldn ot be resurrected at all or at least that is was not in their spiritual nature to try (for a cleric) or to answer such a calling (for the one being brought back from the dead). Any opinions?

Edited by - Ergdusch on 30 Jan 2007 20:05:06
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  20:07:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You might want to take a look through the other scrolls dedicated to discussion of the "Last Mythal" books, Walls... though I'll warn you now that some will likely be filled with spoilers for both books II and III of the trilogy.

Sorry to lenghten this thread here. Might you be willing to point me to the threads mentioned above? I will gladly go there for discussion form now one.....

Thanks in advance.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  22:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch
Now starting with the second I somehow had to 'munch' my way into it again, finding it more or less anoying that a lot of teh plot from trhe first book is reiterated again and again.

Just wait until you hit book 3. It's a real "blast from the past" (that is, the same basic "find the McGuffin/magic item" plot from book 1).

I did not care for this series. I do not find it worthy of much of the praise it seems to get. But I've explained why elsewhere, numerous times, so I'm not going to repeat the reasons here.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  23:38:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sorry to lenghten this thread here. Might you be willing to point me to the threads mentioned above? I will gladly go there for discussion form now one.....

Thanks in advance.

Righto.

- Forsaken House (The Last Mythal Book I) Spoilers
- Last Mythal: Final Gate Spoiler Warning
- questions regarding the last mythal (spoilers)
- Farthest Reach (The Last Mythal Book II) Spoilers
- Predictions for the end of The Last Mythal trilogy
- The Last Mythal

Note that both the second to last and the final scroll are from '05 and '04 respectively.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  15:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, it's going to be shameless -- shameless!

Ahem. . .

Don't forget Realms of the Elves as well!

Cheers

P.S. I feel so dirty.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  16:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

P.S. I feel so dirty.

*releases the dominatrix from her leash*
"Go clean yourself!"

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000