Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Frostfell - Chapters 1 - 4 (Introduction)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  17:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Frostfell (Book 4 of The Wizards series), by Mark Sehestedt. Please discuss chapters 1 - 4 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  19:00:24  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I saw this one was out I picked it up immediately. Definately worth the price of admission.

I like the setting here, the Lake of Mists, with the uncertainty of the surroundings and of the characters' situation. Frost, of course, will be a recurring theme it seems, so I like that we keep getting pieces of information about the climate and how the characters are affected by it.

Nice play on the antagonist, Wallach. He can hold his own against the group, yet then we find out that he's not the one Amira should be worried about. That tells us something about the power they will be going up against without a direct confrontation.

Reminds me of Last of the Mohicans, in a good way, with the setting, the primal environment, and the characters. Why a War Wizard, though, Mark?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  22:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin
When I saw this one was out I picked it up immediately. Definately worth the price of admission.

Thanks for the kind words, sir. Just curious: Have you found the book in stores yet, or are your comments based on the sample chapter?

quote:
Reminds me of Last of the Mohicans, in a good way, with the setting, the primal environment, and the characters.

I read lots of Cooper in high school, though I have to admit I always liked The Deerslayer better than Mohicans. And as much as I admire Cooper, I'll be the first to admit that all of Mark Twain's criticisms are spot on.

But yeah, I've always loved the wilderness settings.

quote:
Why a War Wizard, though, Mark?

Why not?

Seriously though, I very much wanted an "outsider's view" of the Wastes. That way, as a writer, I can describe things as Amira experiences them and relish in the strangeness and foreignness. A native of the area probably wouldn't have remarked on such things.

But why a war wizard specifically?

In researching the setting, I looked through all the RPG material and really tried to focus on FR-specific stuff. The War Wizard really grabbed me. When I expressed interest in that area, my editor Susan Morris suggested I ask Ed Greenwood for more information. I did, and Mr. Greenwood graciously sent me quite a lot of info. He said he had "a few notes" and sent me something like 48 pages. It was a huge help.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  23:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark S.

<snip>When I expressed interest in that area, my editor Susan Morris suggested I ask Ed Greenwood for more information. I did, and Mr. Greenwood graciously sent me quite a lot of info. He said he had "a few notes" and sent me something like 48 pages. It was a huge help.

Aye, that's Ed Ed's "brief" view of Candlekeep turned out to be many pages long and is one of the best pieces of lore i've ever read (Ye can read this in my signature, for those who are interested).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  12:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mark

Read the first two chapters and it is a good read thus far. I like the way you're using words like bukhla (= a word referring to a female dog in english ? ) to create the feel of different ethnicities. Also can't wait to find out more about the Frost folk.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  22:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, I think what Hammer of Moradin was alluding to was what is a War Wizard of Cormyr (half a world away) doing in the Lake of Mists region? Is he an ex-War Wizard? Is he on official business of the Crown? Is he on holidays? What's the character's grounding in that region other than "it seemed like a cool idea at the time"?

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  00:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar
I like the way you're using words like bukhla (= a word referring to a female dog in english ? ) to create the feel of different ethnicities.

Thanks! Actually, the meaning is even more crude than that. A word that I wouldn't write in English. It was inspired by episode 20 of The Sopranos. Bukhla means the same thing that Christopher was teaching the actors on the movie set.

quote:
Originally posted by BesshalarAlso can't wait to find out more about the Frost folk.

They're right out of the RPG product FROSTBURN, though I tried to find a way to "fit" them into existing Realms cosmology. Let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  00:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

Umm, I think what Hammer of Moradin was alluding to was what is a War Wizard of Cormyr (half a world away) doing in the Lake of Mists region? Is he an ex-War Wizard? Is he on official business of the Crown?

She is there for a reason, but you don't find out what until Chapter 6. And even then, don't believe everything you're told. War Wizards are a crafty lot.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  01:32:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book hasn't reached my shores yet Mark, but I'm intrigued as I have a passing interest in the Lake of Mists region. Look forward to reading it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  11:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah never read that supplement. Am I right in guessing you are also quite a movie/tv buff there's a very cinematic feel to the "cuts" between scenes. It's been hectic and I still haven't cleared the first four chapters . :)

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  17:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am I right in guessing you are also quite a movie/tv buff there's a very cinematic feel to the "cuts" between scenes. It's been hectic and I still haven't cleared the first four chapters . :)

Yes, very much so. I love storytelling in all its forms, be it novels, songs, comic books, tv, or movies. But yes, I'm a big movie/tv buff. It's been kind of a slow period for movies lately. But TV seems to have taken up the slack quite nicely. There's lots of great stuff on TV these days. Still lots of dreck, yes, but there are defintely some pearls in the mud if you take time to look.

I've been reading a lot of "thrillers" over the past two years, so that probably had some influence as well. F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack books often have very quick scenes that cut back-and-forth.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  17:54:11  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, how do you pronounce your last name, Mark ?
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  18:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

BTW, how do you pronounce your last name, Mark ?

Seh-HESS-ted.

Very German. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sehestedt

But I'm not strictly German. I'm an American mutt. My bloodline hits pretty much every continent except South America (as far as I know) and Antartica (because there are no penguins in the family).

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  22:19:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, I just managed to secure a copy of this book, so I haven't had much of a chance to delve into this one, but I have to say that you earned points with me right off the bat for being the first Realms author to quote G K Chesterton . . . looking forward to what looks to be a very interesting book.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I have to say that you earned points with me right off the bat for being the first Realms author to quote G K Chesterton . . .

I love Chesterton. He has been a huge influence upon my life. Truly one of my heroes.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  02:16:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is something that I liked about jumping into the action without too much exposition on who and what everyone is. It gives the story a lot of texture right off the bat, and even for people that know the setting, hinting at a greater level of detail without diving right in gives you a certain degree of investiture to keep following these characters throughout the story.

I definitely like the idea that the different tribes of the Hordelands are being differentiated. I also like the duality that Walloch keeps mentioning “Tuigan” as a group, even as we get a lot of hints about the specific tribes within that general terminology (especially for all of us geeks that remember that “Tuigans” were one tribe of the steppes).

Horay for the appearance of Lythari and Fost Folk both. Lythari are definitely an interesting part of elven lore in the Realms, so its great to see them again, since they have appeared very little in the Forgotten Realms novels. I was just mentioning the Frost Folk on th site recently, as I was glad they were updated in Frostburn, and I liked the idea that they were regardes as Sossrim due to their features, and that there was an implication that they were Raumathari that made deals with ancient devils (especially since dealing with devils would be considered doubly bad considering the war with Narfell).

As far as the characters and the development of the story, definitely interested to see how the relationship between Amira and her “son” developed, and why Amira is apparently a renegade from the War Wizards, and why they would be interested enough to track her down this far away from Cormyr. I liked the idea that Walloch illustrates that “educated” doesn't mean “refined,” as he was quite crude for a wizard, and I found it amusing that he was so thrilled with himself over besting Amira with a rock instead of the Art. Definitely didn't bemoan his demise though.

I'll be interested to see some more details on the humans in this region, especially what the office of “belgaken” entails. All in all, a very interesting start to the story. Good pace so far and definitely enough interesting hooks to make me want to keep moving forward in this tale and find out some more about these characters and their situations.

But one minor point that I have to mention. Maybe Lendri is just short, but Realms elves are suppose to be the same height as humans. Dispite my anal retentive nitpick, what I have seen of the character I have liked, and I look forward to seeing more of him as the story progresses.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  02:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thoughts KnightErrantJR. Glad you're enjoying the story so far.

quote:
But one minor point that I have to mention. Maybe Lendri is just short, but Realms elves are suppose to be the same height as humans. Dispite my anal retentive nitpick, what I have seen of the character I have liked, and I look forward to seeing more of him as the story progresses.

Lendri is certainly shorter than Gyaidun, but Gyaidun is a very tall man. He's well over 6 feet. Lendri is around 5 and a half, which is about average human height. I'd guess that Lendri is probably an average-sized elf, while Gyaidun is definitely a taller than average human.

If you're wanting more info on the humans of the Wastes, be sure to check out DRAGON #349. There's a great article in there that "updates" the area. Highly recommended.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  03:41:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the nitpick, but I appreciate the clarification. Definately enjoying the book so far, and I did indeed enjoy that particular article (and the web enhancement for it) from Dragon. Its definately been a story that has kept me wanted to read on, and you have used some very interesting characters . . . thanks for the reply!
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  03:59:33  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry for the nitpick, but I appreciate the clarification.

No apology necessary! I love the nitpicks. Looking back through the book again, I found a mistake myself, but since no one else seems to have caught it, I think I'll keep it to myself.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  18:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I finally got the book and what a great start

I'm only a couple of chapters in but it's kept me completely gripped so far. Unfortunately my lunch break ended and I had to get back to work

The opening was really well done and kept me on the edge of my seat. As soon as I read about the hounds which had had their vocal chords sliced, I knew this was going to be a good one! The chase with Walloch's men through the trees was very good and the atmosphere caused by the lake was very eerie.

Even after reading about Walloch for such a short time, i'm loving his character. I'm finding him quite intriguing.. he came across as a brutal slaver and then later I find him to be a competant wizard...quite an interesting turn of character. I also found him to be quite comical at times, like when he trudged through the camp after loosing his quarry, knocking things over, and slapping the goat

The capture scene was great too. I liked the touch with the leather being soaked around the wrists. The raven also added an eerie element to the scene and gave that cinematic feeling of tension.

With the thug running back to the clearing through the bushes, it wasn't revealed who was making the noise and again game that feeling of watching a movie.

The elves and the Frost Folk added a whole new element to the story too and i'm really looking forward to breaking further into this book.

Great stuff!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  23:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the tense scene with Jalan hiding in the log when Lendri arrives. I wasn't even sure myself if it were friend or foe trying to coax him out

Nicely done how it wasn't described what happened when Lenrdi and Jalan stopped in their tracks, and then the scene switching to later on when Lendri arrives at the camp looking on death's door.

The whole feeling and way this is written is great. It's got such an eerie and mystical feeling.

I like the idea of Gyaidun and Lendri being blood brothers and Gyaidun heading out for revenge at what happened to Lendri.

With the foreign culture of this tribe, again it was well done how Amira didn't understand the meaning of belkagen (sp?)...being priestshamandruidwizard as she could only imagine it being one or another, rather than all tied into one.

Kind of eerie again when Gyaidun returns and reports how Walloch and company are all dead and frozen solid. Wow! I thought Walloch was going to be around for some time yet

I could almost feel the exertion and pain when Jalan was runnning from the camp. I'm gonna use the word "eerie" again when thinking about the wolves circling him and the cloaked Frost Folk emerging

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 19 Dec 2006 23:34:34
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  04:31:51  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark S.

quote:
I like the way you're using words like bukhla (= a word referring to a female dog in english ? ) to create the feel of different ethnicities.

Thanks! Actually, the meaning is even more crude than that. A word that I wouldn't write in English. It was inspired by episode 20 of The Sopranos. Bukhla means the same thing that Christopher was teaching the actors on the movie set.

quote:
Originally posted by BesshalarAlso can't wait to find out more about the Frost folk.

They're right out of the RPG product FROSTBURN, though I tried to find a way to "fit" them into existing Realms cosmology. Let me know what you think.

I just posted a question about the Frost Folk in a different forum, thanks for the info. It's been awhile since I looked through Frostburn I guess I had forgotten about them. The way you introduced them into the story immediately grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I see a journey into the wastes in my players' near future.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  04:39:25  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reminds me of Last of the Mohicans, in a good way, with the setting, the primal environment, and the characters.

I agree, I got a real strong Native American vibe from the elf and his blood brother as well as the frost folk. This has been a great read so far, I can't wait to get back into it.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  21:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma
I agree, I got a real strong Native American vibe from the elf and his blood brother as well as the frost folk. This has been a great read so far, I can't wait to get back into it.

The Vil Adanrath culture was very much inspired by various Native American cultures. Their language is based (VERY loosely) on Tuscarora, one of the peoples that made up the Iroquois League. Blame Don Bassingthwaite for that one. He was kind enough to send me a Tuscarora Dictionary a few years ago because he knows what a language geek I am.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  22:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just started reading this book and I am loving it so far. I was drawn in right away because no time is wasted on lengthy and unnecessary exposition--the first scene is an action scene, and I thought it was very effective and compelling. I also think that a mother's search for her son makes for a more relatable story than yet another "find the magic item" tale.

And yes, I'm itching to learn more about the various cultures of the Wastes that are being touched on.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  16:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mark,

I just read this two nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cool characters, great depictions of the winter wolves and frost folk and some really good ancient lore. Well done; hope to see more from you.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

acro
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  16:50:50  Show Profile Send acro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I got this when it first came out, and just started it abojut ten minutes ago. It seems really interesting Mark. Are you going to write anymore realms novels. Hope you do. I will post later once I finish chapter 4.

Sweet water and light laughter until next I post again.

Bring out those dusty tomes to be copied.
Go to Top of Page

acro
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  00:39:04  Show Profile Send acro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally finished chapter 4, not quite what I expected at the end though Mark. But I must say it was very nicely done. I hope it continues as it does though, because it is very interesting.

Bring out those dusty tomes to be copied.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  17:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acro

Are you going to write anymore realms novels. Hope you do. I will post later once I finish chapter 4.

Thanks very much for the kind words.

Yes, I am doing at least one more FR book, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to spill any beans yet. It should be public knowledge by the time Realms of War comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  09:53:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reading this book right now and I have to say: I really enjoyed the first chapters of this book. They through you into the plot right away and you find no time to consider stop reading. Head on into the trouble. No wasted words for a slow beginning. "Role Initiative" from the first moment at the game table. A great start off.

Moreove, as the setting if the book is rather untouched as of yet, lots of insite into this unexplored land. Great work.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:11:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three things made me want to devour this book: the heroine, the villain, and the setting. All perfectly depicted!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000