Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 candlekeep auction site. lol
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pwent
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  05:22:03  Show Profile  Visit pwent's Homepage Send pwent a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wouldn't it be great if candlekeep started a forgotten realms auction site if anyone in the community (heaven forbid) would want to get rid of any of their gear. I'm getting sick of going on ebay and paying overprice or having to buy huge lots with doubles of books i already have to get the out of print realms novels. i can't get a book i need without having to buy 3 other salvatore books with it (no offense, love him to death, but have all of his books) Probably won't happen, but wouldn't it be great?

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  05:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds kinda cool but it might be hard to do it.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  08:30:36  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be the joy breaker but I don't if it's allowed!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  12:43:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can you suggest such a thing! Fill our beloved halls of (admittedly not always) solitude and learning with the cries of merchants hauking their wares? Shame on you!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  16:14:10  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can't u imagine the little merchants behind a ruined shope hoping that someone come to buy a book. But nobody comes, their stomacks hurt them so bad that they can't even cry on the last books they have. These books, cleaned and cleaned again to attract anyone in their dusty room...
And u come, but not to say that u're gonna buy anything but to tell them what really happened, why they haven't money any more... And u can see the eyes moving up then down, and the lips taking enough strengh just to say "NO", and in a last cry, he dies. Yarrrrggh

Just a trip and i don't support them anyway but it was funny and Bookwyrm pushed me.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  19:25:16  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And can you imagine merchants giving a price to our beloved books that we thought priceLESS
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  08:57:20  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
depending which price... [counting her money]
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  10:55:11  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You sound like Mirt?
Where is he? Pwent are you a relative of this Merchant who wanted to buy Candlekeep?
Go to Top of Page

pwent
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  21:13:57  Show Profile  Visit pwent's Homepage Send pwent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nope, not related to mirt. just was trying to spark an idea. Didn't sound so bad to me, but what do i know? Just always trying to find a way to get a hold of the out of print books, started late, so I dont have a lot of the older stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  22:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, Pwent, we're not upset at you, we're just having a little fun.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  02:15:30  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is somthing subtly sinister about the sage Eilenil...

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  10:19:50  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sinister, am I really?
I hope i don't make anybody afraid...
I think the biggest problem is the word sage u put just before my name... Wisdom is not my kind
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  10:27:14  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, give a intelligence of 22 to a 5 years old kid and you'll get the picture
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  10:49:38  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
28 now...
But i have 6 in Wisdom since the 12th level!!! Im sure that i will be a great sage in the 120th level
And i aged 5 years more! Im something like 90, for an elf...

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  02:29:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well so she's the intelligent sage then...

With an accent you can't quite match ZEMD!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  16:06:42  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok... but speak in French a bit, make us laughing, i like hearing americans trying to speak French, so funny!

But we are talking in english here, so...
i will improve mine, since i am going to California for 6 months next year.

Go to Top of Page

Lazerrus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  14:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Lazerrus's Homepage Send Lazerrus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sell my Forgotten Realms wares upon the open market? NEVER! These are items that I have adventured far and wide to find out there upon the realms of used book stores. It has taken me great strides and many battles to procure such treasures. Blasphamy! However gold talks and bs walks and every thing has it's price

If it be the will of Corellon, It shall be done!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2003 :  10:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont think that theres any harm in a bit of trade of FR products on this site. Much like our local copper dragon has done in an attempt to sell a copy of Red Magic over here.

What do you all think? Just like a Classified Ads type of thing rather than an auction. A friendly trade between just us scribes of Candlekeep.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  10:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone interested in buying hardcover versions of Daughter of the Drow and Death of the Dragon novels? Ive got them here in mint condition.

Just thought id let you all have first refusal before they hit eBay

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 26 May 2003 10:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  22:43:08  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think it would be great if there was an auciton site in Candlekeep. I highly doubt i would sell my goods, but i will definately be throwing my coin left and right

hehe Rad, i haven't read Cormyr Saga and i wouldn't mind having a HC Death of the Dragon

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  16:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zaknafein

hehe Rad, i haven't read Cormyr Saga and i wouldn't mind having a HC Death of the Dragon

Sure. If youre interested in Death of the Dragon, then please email me and we can discuss pricing.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  08:23:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I know a shop that has several used editions of earlier FR books. I keep thinking of this shop whenever I hear of someone talking about how rare certain books are (such as Maztica).

What I'd like to do, since others are already doing similar work, is ask if anyone has any particular 'wishlists' they might want to dangle out. I'm not doing this just for me -- it's just it would be nice if we all cooperated on this front.

I'd do the same; whenever I go someplace, I'd take along that wishlist. (PDAs make cut & paste lists so easy!) If I see the book in question, I'll ask the shopkeeper (or manager, if it's a retail store) to put it on hold. I'd then contact the particular person and ask if this edition, condition, and price are all acceptable. Cost (in my case at least) would be replacement cost. No special finder's fee; however, costs are to be handled by the buyer. I'd just be the middle man.

I'm not in this to make a profit, and I'm not going out of my way for something unless I do. (I'm not entirely altruistic here!) This would only be for the times when I'm out anyway. No special trips just to look for something, unless I'm already in the area.

So, post on here what you're looking for. I, and hopefully others as well, will take that list. Don't depend on us though -- you might find it faster. Oh, and if you don't care about the looks, say so; otherwise I, at least, will only look at what I consider reasonable condition. I hate ragged books myself, and I'll assume you do too.

Yes, I think this is a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  08:28:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great idea Bookwyrm, and something I think should be actively encouraged here by all the sages and scribes of Candlekeep. I might do the same here for all the forum users and visitors here in Australia.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  17:15:13  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a GIANT used book store down the block from me. Their scifi section is SWELLING with old Forgotten Realms books from Darkwalker on. I may be by there today and I will try to make a list of some of what they have. If I get there...

This sage can get so side tracked by pubs...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  02:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

. . . GIANT used book store . . .

::drool::

'Scuse me.

I'm beginning to wish I lived in Montclair -- wherever that is.

Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  04:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I have a GIANT used book store down the block from me. Their scifi section is SWELLING with old Forgotten Realms books from Darkwalker on.

wow...i hope you know how lucky you are...lol My Half Priced Books store really lacks in both FR and DL series novels.

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  08:48:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said -
quote:
A failing shared by many-a sage here methinks,

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Jun 2003 08:48:54
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Mournblade said -
quote:
A failing shared by many-a sage here methinks,

Pubs? Never been in one.

Well, I suppose Domminic's up the road would be like that, but that's also a restaurant, and 'family-friendly.' The only reason I've ever gone there is for the pizza. Very good stuff. Haven't been there for a while.

'Course, I also seem to have this near-allergy to the smells of beer, wine, and coffee. They make me sick to my stomach.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  12:46:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Mournblade, if you do happen to create that list, I wouldn't mind seeing it. There are a few FR novels in my collection that I wouldn't mind replacing due to unfortunate damage that some of the novels have sustained over the years.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  23:08:20  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will let you know soon. They just 'expanded' and now are selling books from pre 1920's. They have some ORson Welles I have been meaning to meander over. This book center is 2 floors of ALL used books, and the 1st floor is current and old. They are the ONLY bookstore able to compete with the Franchise Giants around here. This is NOT a small store, so it is 3 HUGE floors. I love it and have watched it expand since I was in 5th grade.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  04:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, hearing of this Nirvana of used books, begins to drool all over Mournblade's new Learned Sage badge. Catching himself, he quickly casts prestidigitation and spiffens it up in seconds.

Sorry . . . it's just the thought of that many used books . . . all waiting for someone to come along . . . .

[Bookwyrm drifts off in daydream.]

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000