Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The next RSE?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  14:48:31  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My brother has just got the latest "Evris Cale?" novel & I glanced at the back cover - I may be wrong, but I think it mentioned an event that "will shake the realms".
I pray that I'm wrong & I'm hoping someone has more information about this.

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  14:54:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not. Paul S Kemp himself has identified the current series as a RSE. I would keep an open mind and just read the series though. I always felt that the Shadovar had a lot of potential, but they just kind of stalled out after the ROTAW books, so I think it will be good to see them in action again. Paul is an excellent writer, so I'm going to enjoy the ride and see where it goes.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  21:10:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry too much. Paul really cares a lot about the Realms and is a really responsible (not be mention awesome) writer. Anything he does shake up will probably be for a good reason and well done (and I can't say anything more :)

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  21:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to be honest, I had really looked forward to this series, then the RSE-stuff had me worried (just in terms of an overkill of RSEs in recent lore, not really novel-wise), but then again I like Paul S. Kempīs writing style and depth of lore and character so much that he is one of the current FR-authors Iīd actually LIKE to write a RSE. Hereīs to trust in him, that itīll all work out well (again, lore-wise - I havenīt the slightest doubt Iīll love the trilogy as novels per se).

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  10:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoileralert paste to read

You might say that the appearance of another city of netheril is pretty much realms shaking as well as a sembian civil war

So yes it's definately mr Kemps book. Which by the by is an excellent read.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  11:15:53  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else noticed how many potential RSE's there are of late?
1) The new Everis Cale trilogy.
2) The new 3-part mega-adventure.
3) The Mulorandi invasion of Unther.
4) The new Thay trilogy.
How many more events "that will re-shape the Realms forever" can they publish?

Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  14:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I'd like to see no RSE for a long time.

There are so many that still have to be dealt with. Shade's appearance still hasn't been that important in terms of repercussions, and I think that is the major problem with RSEs, the repercussions. The stone is tossed into the pond but after a few ripples we see nothing more of it.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  15:54:32  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

There are so many that still have to be dealt with. Shade's appearance still hasn't been that important in terms of repercussions, and I think that is the major problem with RSEs, the repercussions. The stone is tossed into the pond but after a few ripples we see nothing more of it.

You've definitely hit the nail on the head there! - perhaps WotC will slow things down a bit soon, but I doubt it!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  17:29:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ateth Istarlin

We don't know that this is an RSE. While it certainly sounds like one, the fact that Eric said the modules could be used in any time-frame indicates (to me, at least) that it isn't an RSE.

quote:

I don't think this qualifies as an RSE, simply because it doesn't really affect the wider Realms.

quote:

4) The new Thay trilogy.

I don't recall seeing anything that indicated this was an RSE.

quote:

Well... Though I disagreed with you on the ones above, I do think we've had far too many RSEs happen in too short a timespan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  17:34:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I concur! Smaller stories can be just as compelling, if not moreso, than the larger ones... Heck, some of the most well-liked Realms authors are Elaine Cunningham and the duo of Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak, and they didn't craft RSEs in their novels. Those novels are still among the most highly recommended...

quote:

Shade's appearance still hasn't been that important in terms of repercussions,

I actually expected a much larger impact... Other than Evereska getting trashed, Tilverton disappearing, and the Anauroch changing a bit, it's really not been Realms-shaking.

I thought, when I first read about the return of Shade, that it was going to be the vehicle used to offer an in-game explanation for the rule changes of 3E, much like the Time of Troubles was used to explain the (relatively minor) rule changes of 2E.

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  17:55:13  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Shade will hold more importance after the Twilight War trilogy. Anybody think that the happenings in that series will tie into the 3 part mega adventure?

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  18:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Paul or Eric confirmed that they are at least related, if not closely tied together.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  18:25:48  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  22:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Wooly and Mace said. There's so much there that a shake up isn't needed, and when things do get changed, it would be nice if they were followed up on rather than left in isolation.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:50:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

4) The new Thay trilogy.
I'm not entirely convinced of that.

Everything Rich has been able to tell us about the trilogy so far, at least, doesn't suggest this is the case. I'd say we should want until we learn more about the books themselves, the plot of the trilogy, and the characters involved before determining the trilogy status as an RSE.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Nov 2006 00:57:02
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  10:55:41  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

We don't know that this is an RSE. While it certainly sounds like one, the fact that Eric said the modules could be used in any time-frame indicates (to me, at least) that it isn't an RSE.

quote:

I don't think this qualifies as an RSE, simply because it doesn't really affect the wider Realms.

quote:

4) The new Thay trilogy.

I don't recall seeing anything that indicated this was an RSE.

quote:

Well... Though I disagreed with you on the ones above, I do think we've had far too many RSEs happen in too short a timespan.

While I hope you are right about the new adventure, I think you could be wrong about the invasion (If it suceeds Chessenta could be next, along with the 2 former colonies (I can't remember their names just now) - also Thay could be in trouble ( A resurgent Mulhoran empire on one side with Aglarond & Rashamen on the other) - not to mention the possibility of Deep Imaskar returning). As far as the new Thay trilogy goes, the blurb states that it will "change the face of Faerun forever" - see WotC products for the full blurb.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  11:14:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While I hope you are right about the new adventure, I think you could be wrong about the invasion (If it suceeds Chessenta could be next, along with the 2 former colonies (I can't remember their names just now) - also Thay could be in trouble ( A resurgent Mulhoran empire on one side with Aglarond & Rashamen on the other) - not to mention the possibility of Deep Imaskar returning). As far as the new Thay trilogy goes, the blurb states that it will "change the face of Faerun forever" - see WotC products for the full blurb.

I can't see the invasion going that far....

And about the Thay trilogy blurb: cover blurbs are often full of exaggeration. We've had authors say that before. Since the author hasn't given any indications of it being an RSE, I'm disinclined to buy a cover blurb that says otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  18:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Mulhorand will get any farther. Chessenta and Unther seemed poised for a complete takeover by Tchazzar, if Dragons of Faerun is any clue. There are also too many power groups in Unther, aligned against Mulhorand. They may even lose territory there. I don't think they will fall back to the original border, they will keep part of Unther, but they will fall back.

I am still trying to figure out the RSE with Paul Kemp's series with Shade and Sembia. It has a good opening book, but I am trying to see how it turns into a RSE. If Sembia get controlled by Shade, or Sembia falls apart with Cormyr, Shade, the Dalelands all getting slices, or whatever, does that effect all of Faerun? Would a god get killed? I am still trying to figure out where does it lead to count as a RSE.

Would Sembia falling apart even count as a RSE, or Shade dominating Sembia?

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  18:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

IMO,

Heck yeah!

Only Amn and Durpar are a larger economical powerhouse, with Sembia falling what would happen to the costers and trade routes? And with the Banites up north along the Moonsea (with possibly the most organized armed forces in the Eastern Heartlands) they would be poised to invade Sembia through Harrowdale and Scardale...

plus there is the possibility of Unther turning it's gaze northward accross the Sea of Fallen Stars...and if Shade took it, then there could be the seeds planted for a "Shadow Netheril"

plus the the regional chaos would seriously hinder the security of the Dales and the recovering Cormyr with a regent on the throne and a few missteps away from it's own civil war...

just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  19:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Say what
When is this series set? We're talking about Shadowbred? Right?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  20:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy
...when things do get changed, it would be nice if they were followed up on rather than left in isolation.
Of course, not treating RSE effects seriously is part of what allows Wizards, in the short term, to cram so many in.
quote:
Would [major European country] falling apart count as a Europe-shaking event?
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did all the troubles that Cormyr had count as a RSE, or how about Tethyr or Unther?

I guess one of my points would be outside of Sembia and the immediate environs (Dalelands, Cormyr, Cormanthyr), who else would be affected?

Impiltur? outside of merchants (who would find different costers, there are a lot of them) nothing much politically or socially.
Amn? Same as Impiltur.
Waterdeep?
Chessenta?
the list goes on, and merchants can find other ways of transporting goods (someone is always there to fill the vacuum).

My real point is, where is it leading. Sembia turning into a mess would cause economic waves that would diminish according to distance and time elapsed, but very little in the long run. Something else would have happen for it, at least in my book, to qualify as a RSE.

Mask wrestling the Shadow Weave away from Shar might be interesting, but without any change in the Shadow Weave, kinda just superficial.

The strange book, Leaves of the Last Night (I hope I remember correctly), seems to have some importance, we just don't know what.

Maybe the city taken by Selune would finally appear to give the Shades a strong competitor for the Netherese heavyweight title.

Hence my sentence "I am still trying to figure out where does it lead to count as a RSE."

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had this discussion when Sanishiver argued that 'RSE' should be reserved for events that shake the life of everyone in literally the whole Realms, according to which narrow definition only the Time of Troubles would count, and that isn't how the term is understood by Wizards or most of us.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:44:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that WOTC and the general Realms fandom kind of see RSE as being somewhat akin to the "big summer crossovers" in comics. Some of these events are truly major events where established characters die, reality is greatly altered, and a lot of characters really do have some significant residual effects (Infinate Crisis, House of M . . . ). Others are just "big" events that are a good enough excuse for getting a bunch of superheroes together, but don't really have long lasting effects, and aren't long remembered (Evolutionary War, Bloodlines).

The Realms have had a lot of events that are important to at least one major nation, will likely at least peripherally involved one or more major NPCs, and should do something significant to the lives of those that live in the main region of the event, and that gets referenced for years in setting.

I can only think of two RSEs that really have affected all of Faerun, the Time of Troubles and the Year of Rogue Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, whilst being a timeless classic, the 'reluctant adventurer develops into a good person and saves his village and friends in the process' has been done to death.

Stories are coming out bigger and better than the ones before them, and short of any crazy new villains/artifacts/evil long forgotten horror/ etc. the easiest way to have an 'impact' is to stretch the results over as wide an area as possible.

I'd like some link up between the RSEs though. For something so big you rarely hear characters talking about 'wow did you hear what happened over in Cormanthor?' or 'Thank god we've only got a dead Khelben to deal with. Those guys over there have a whole Shade 'city' on their hands'
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect the segment of the audience that keeps buying RSE novels is the segment least likely to appreciate 'confusing', 'disjointed' references to things outside a linear narrative.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  00:04:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course Kaladorm's comments bring us full circle with Paul's Twilight War books, as they tie into the events of Paul's last trilogy, the Return of the Archwizards trilogy (both very directly), and mention the events of the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy, and even the events of the Mistress of the Night novel, as well as giving the nod to a few other books and trilogies as well.

Which of course brings me back to my first comment in this thread . . .
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  01:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Unfortunately, whilst being a timeless classic, the 'reluctant adventurer develops into a good person and saves his village and friends in the process' has been done to death.

Stories are coming out bigger and better than the ones before them, and short of any crazy new villains/artifacts/evil long forgotten horror/ etc. the easiest way to have an 'impact' is to stretch the results over as wide an area as possible.

Stories can be original without having to be bigger and "better", or more epic in scope.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  02:17:05  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one really enjoy the "hero who sacrifices all for the greater good" plotline. It just strikes a chord no matter how many times or in how many ways I read that type of story.

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  02:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Which of course brings me back to my first comment in this thread . . .

I accuse you, KnightErrantJr, of the Crime of Circular Commenting!! (penalty is hanging by your big toes while hamsters scamper over your body)

Away from the RSE stuff, it is a really great novel, and as you pointed out, ties in a lot of books into it. Since I liked Mistress of the Night, it was cool to see it referenced as something important in consequences.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  12:29:55  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also liked Mistress of the Night very much. But I must say I am tired of shades and hope they go away for awhile.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000