Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "Knights of Myth Drannor" novel series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  10:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I heard a rumor of a new FR novel series\trilogy with the title of "The Knights of Myth Drannor", does anyone know anything about this?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  01:29:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is happening. Ed is plotting the series out as we speak. No word yet on content except that it won't be a historical novel (i.e. a look at the Knights from when they first started etc.) Most likely it will be set in the current Realms - 1370s DR.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  02:06:30  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To quote egghead...

eggs cellent

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  09:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Ed IS actually doing something? What with his withdrawal from the Sembia series and his name not appearing on any FR products lately, I was beginning to wonder.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  15:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is defiantly some great news to my ears. Mr. Greenwood has so many great supporting characters that I feel need more exposure.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  16:01:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad stated:

quote:
So Ed IS actually doing something? What with his withdrawal from the Sembia series and his name not appearing on any FR products lately, I was beginning to wonder.

Besides working on the Waterdeep novel with Elaine Cunningham, Ed Greenwood is also currently at work on another FR product that has been planned for next year. This news came from Richard Baker on one of the WOTC threads. I hope that Ed is working on the next FR region guide (please Cormyr, Sembia, Western Heart). Additionally, I hope someone can get out of Mr. Baker the next region covered when he appears at GENCON, much like last year, he or someone else, dropped a very obvious hint that Unapproachable East would be appearing this year.
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  06:17:20  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, it is happening. Ed is plotting the series out as we speak. No word yet on content except that it won't be a historical novel (i.e. a look at the Knights from when they first started etc.) Most likely it will be set in the current Realms - 1370s DR.

-- George Krashos

Hey all, been a while since ive posted but the above info is actually the exact opposite of what he says. sorry.

From page 4 of the Ed Greenwood thread in Other Authors on RASalvatore.com

Ed G. (himself) Writes:
ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER is current Realms time, and then I'll be doing a Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy set back at the founding of the Knights (WotC wasn't interested in geriatric adventurers trying to buckle their swashes. :})

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:43:15  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, that sounds awesome, but i think we really need to get some 'Official' info here.

Explination: I'm also a member of the Bioware forums, and talk Games lore with people there. In an argument we had there, it was revealed to me that in fact, the Forgotten Realms are no longer controlled by their creator Ed Greenwood. I used the fact that Ed Greenwood was a creator in an argument as substantiation that Elminster could not be beaten. It was then revealed that Ed was not in power anymore.

I will request more information from the person in question, and see what they say...

check it out here http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=230351&forum=17&sp=105 Apparently FR is now owned by Wizards of the Coast

Before i go on, is this old news?

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:58:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting discussion. Thanks for the link.

Anyway to answer your last question, judging by the dates from the beginning posts in this thread, these rumors have only been around since April it would appear. However George clearly makes a reference that Ed Greenwood is currently at work on the plot, so...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  12:07:40  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i truly hope so, having a realm that is not run by its creator is folly i would think

I will keep my eyes on those links and see what comes up...

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  12:15:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A folly most foul .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  15:51:36  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood hasnt been "in power" of the Forgotten Realms since he sold his product to TSR 20 years ago. He falls under the same rules and guidelines as everyone else that creates a product with the FR banner. Read some of his posts over at RASalvatore.com, he claims to have yet, to date, ever been able to write a novel the way he wants to. WOTC always makes him change them or edits them to death.

Fact is, once he sold it to TSR then it was sold by TSR (not ed) to WOTC, ed became just another employee (with perks becuase he did create if of course)

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  17:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

i truly hope so, having a realm that is not run by its creator is folly i would think

INDEED!!!

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  06:19:12  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArcticKnight

Ed Greenwood hasnt been "in power" of the Forgotten Realms since he sold his product to TSR 20 years ago. He falls under the same rules and guidelines as everyone else that creates a product with the FR banner. Read some of his posts over at RASalvatore.com, he claims to have yet, to date, ever been able to write a novel the way he wants to. WOTC always makes him change them or edits them to death.

Fact is, once he sold it to TSR then it was sold by TSR (not ed) to WOTC, ed became just another employee (with perks becuase he did create if of course)

I think I know what ED is saying. The FR novels are quite unique. I am sure ed wants to write something more sophisticated, but the editors probably hack it to bits.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  15:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm... ::Starts to ponder... everyone better start running:: Maybe... we should start a petition to have Wizards let the FR "creators" write the novels the way they want... ::ponders::

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  18:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's great news that the trilogy will be set in the 1350s and not the 1370s. I far prefer that time period; and as I put it elsewhere, let's see The Three Musketeers before we get Twenty Years After.

Online petitions mean nothing; physical letters usually mean little, but it doesn't hurt to let the editors know that people care about creative integrity and not just brands; sales determine what's published although their interpretation is subject to error. Ed has been able to write a structurally less conventional book (Elminster in Hell) and books featuring some of his preferred protagonists (the Knights trilogy, and after only 20 years), and what creative control he has is based largely on strong sales. The way to help him write the novels he wants to write is to buy his books.

As for X vs Y arguments, I never saw one that wasn't a total waste of time. The answer is always that it depends on who's writing the story and what's dramatically appropriate.

Edited by - Faraer on 21 Jul 2003 18:37:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000